Kirby All Stars

Seems fairly lame. The last thing that I think of when I think of Kirby Drive is All-Star.

Also interesting to note that they only intend to do this between Westheimer and Holcombe. What about down towards Reliant where the streetscape needs more help and the obviously cheesy sports theme would make a helluva lot more sense?

Seems fairly lame. The last thing that I think of when I think of Kirby Drive is All-Star.

Also interesting to note that they only intend to do this between Westheimer and Holcombe. What about down towards Reliant where the streetscape needs more help and the obviously cheesy sports theme would make a helluva lot more sense?

lame is right. i know several cities who've had these since the 90's and are having quite a bit of problems maintenance-wise now. even some of the cotswald project's pavers are already sinking big time. i think long term, cities are going to end up going back to concrete.

While I think the "All-Stars" theme is a bit lame, I'm thinking that might be primarily a marketing scheme to raise funds for the project.

The proposed project itself looks great. There is no sports theme whatsoever, which makes me wonder if some of you critics even looked at their website.

Edited by Houston19514

OMG!! LOL!! The photoshopped picture with the star in the intersection is horrible! They didn't want to mess with the shadow of the utility pole or the SUV in the intersection, so they cut the image short. Didn't even attempt to blend the graphic with the pavement. Too funny! If you're gonna do something like this, do it right, make it look good. That's just my attitude when it comes to graphics.

When I first read this and before I went to the site, I thought they were going to name the intersections after sports figures or something, but they are just putting stars with the street names in the intersection. It's not really sports related, is it?

Actually, all this is going to do is create construction traffic on a super busy street for a few years. Thanks, yeah, we want this.

Edited by groovehouse

OMG!! LOL!! The photoshopped picture with the star in the intersection is horrible! They didn't want to mess with the shadow of the utility pole or the SUV in the intersection, so they cut the image short. Didn't even attempt to blend the graphic with the pavement. Too funny! If you're gonna do something like this, do it right, make it look good. That's just my attitude when it comes to graphics.

When I first read this and before I went to the site, I thought they were going to name the intersections after sports figures or something, but they are just putting stars with the street names in the intersection. It's not really sports related, is it?

Actually, all this is going to do is create construction traffic on a super busy street for a few years. Thanks, yeah, we want this.

Not a very professional page, eh? The title of the main page is "Kirby All Starsp."

Actually, this will be done in conjunction with already-planned reconstruction of the street and storm sewers. This project will not cause construction traffic. It will just improve the aesthetic result of construction that will be occurring regardless.

Edited by Houston19514

Actually, this will be done in conjunction with already-planned reconstruction of the street and storm sewers. This project will not cause construction traffic. It will just improve the aesthetic result of construction that will be occurring regardless.

Assuming, of course, that one considers a trite, over-used, unoriginal "Texas star" to be an improved aesthetic result of construction. Then again, this is the same group that placed non-functioning British phone booths at every corner. The combination of the two should really be impressive.

The trash cans and benches look decent.

Assuming, of course, that one considers a trite, over-used, unoriginal "Texas star" to be an improved aesthetic result of construction. Then again, this is the same group that placed non-functioning British phone booths at every corner. The combination of the two should really be impressive.

The trash cans and benches look decent.

Point taken. The phone booths were lame.

OK, maybe it's a bit cheesey, but there's nothing wrong with trying to improve the look of the area. Good luck to them.

I don't think it's necessary to improve an already affluent area. Take this money and improve the area from Holcombe to the Reliant area. Then they'd be doing some good. But of course, this is a project of the UKD and not a city project.