Uptown Houstonians Have Class!

citykid09

It's true, Houston does lead the country in philanthropy, hands down. With all the fortune 500 compaines and oil money, how can it not? Unfortunately just because you have all the money in the world doesn't mean you know a good painting from a piece of garbage. It's partly what I was trying to touch on before, you can't buy class. Or taste for that matter.

For a good explanation of this (and a rather interesting view on Texas in general) read John Steinbeck's "Travel's with Charley, In Search of America".

Oh, and I forgot something. If you happen to know one of these philanthropists, have them throw some money the Public Library's way. They could certainly use it.

I saw a rendition of their upcoming (hopeful) remodel, and it included a Library Cafe. Never a good sign when a Public Library has to turn to selling coffee to fund itself. I judge cities by their libraries.

• 1 year later...
I went to the Galleria yesterday, and everyone was dressed so well. I mean I thought I was in New York or something. All the women looked like models. they all had class and had on the best looking clothes. And they call Houston one of the fattest cities in America, I don't think so. I think many cities are envy of Houston in many ways.

First we went to drove by Highland Village just because I wanted to so my family. They were amazed, they never knew that area of Houston existed. They saw all of the palm trees with christmas lights rapped around them and the stores that had bowes on them made to look like gifts.

Uptown Houston looked like a very large city itself. The parking garage near the Cheese Cake Factory was pretty full so we parked above ground. Looking around the view is amazing! Lots of people driving Hummers, Jaguars, mercades, etc. Last time I went to the Galleria I saw a Maybach.

maybach03.jpg

This ways also the coldest I have ever seen Houston!

We got there at 7:00 pm and left the Galleria at 10:00pm.

It was dark and cold but nice!

Was bored and found this GEM of a posting. Thought everyone would enjoy reading it again! They love me, THEY REALLY LOVE ME!!!!!

Citykid, you're right, the Galleria area is all about high class!

If your from Mexico City

Lol, Midtowner!

Uptown/Galleria is a beautiful place, but it is best appreciated if one lives inside the loop and doesn't have to deal with the horrible traffic on 610.

I was driving around in the area a few years ago in an expensive black car (not mine) listening to Moby's version of the James Bond theme on a chilly overcast evening. It was kind of eerie.

Lol, Midtowner!

Uptown/Galleria is a beautiful place, but it is best appreciated if one lives inside the loop and doesn't have to deal with the horrible traffic on 610.

I was driving around in the area a few years ago in an expensive black car (not mine) listening to Moby's version of the James Bond theme on a chilly overcast evening. It was kind of eerie.

Try that while listening to Moby's "God moving over the face of the water" Even creepier

What if they were to make Westheimer a double decker street?

One part would be halfway underground, and another would be halfway above ground....

Was there a rumor that they were spose to widen Westheimer to a ten-lane street? :o Back on topic: :lol: at some y'all saying Galleria ain't that classy in a NY or SF kinda way. I like it that way; the Galleria has that Fifth Avenue or Union Square kinda feeling to it. I wush the Galleria/Uptown district traded spots with DT any day.

A couple of weeks ago, a New Yorker was down at our big Houston headquarters for training. I sent her to The Galleria to shop before she took her rich ass off to W. Palm Beach, Fla. I received an email from her on the Monday after training and she stated that "You were right. It is expensive there. But, it is too big. I couldn't find a nail salon." :lol:

• The title was changed to Uptown Houstonians Have Class!