Post Oak Plaza Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

The readers at HAIF seem to be some of the most informed Houstonians I come across...so I am reaching beyond the regular dialogs of downtown, midtown, development and real estate...and asking you where you have had the best Thai food in Houston? I've come to appreciate the various aspects of commentary that I value on this board...thanks!!

• Like 1

The Golden Room on Montrose (between W Gray & W Dallas) has charming decor, great food, attentive service and very reasonable prices. That they've been in the same location for approximately twenty years indicates that they're doing something right in Houston's highly competitive market.

Haven't been there recently, but the Thai Palace (I think) on Westheimer in the strip center just east of Commonwealth is under new management, and from all reports has excellent food.

Two favorites: Patu is on Rice in the Village. Tiny but decent.

The other is Telephone Thai. This is not the real name, which is an unpronouncable Thai word. To get there take Leeland out from downtown until it turns into Telephone, but still inside the loop. It is a small hole-in-the wall on the left. The decor is as basic as it gets, but the food is great! Is like the Ninfa's on Navigation - an unpretentious place in an out-of-the-way neighborhood that develops a loyal following of people from all over the city. Now you're in on the secret. B)

Nit Noi, Thai Cottage (there are also locations on Weslayan at Richmond and in the Clear Lake area), and Patu in Rice Village are my favorites.

Haven't tried the Golden Room but have always heard good things about it. Same thing with Bangkok Place.

The original Thai Cottage here in Bellaire (Bissonet near South Rice) is excellent.

Thai Spice and Nit Noi are good. Hollywood Vietnamese serves Thai dishes as well... Their pad thai is very yummy and well-priced.

There's a place called Vung Thai on the West Loop at 18th street that has a pretty decent (though small) lunch buffet (and cheap! Only 5.75!)

I haven't vistited Golden Room in awhile but always thought they were priced a little high. And the decor seemed a little too overdone for my taste. And it feels small cramped and dark in there... I had the same feeling about Thai Pepper on W Alabama. Both have good food though. I guess I like windows. :)

Bangkok Place on Westhemier @ Commonwealth used to be one of my favorites around 1998-2001 back when I lived nearby... last time I went about 2 years ago they were under new management and I wasn't as impressed. Maybe it's gotten better since then.

The other is Telephone Thai.  This is not the real name, which is an unpronouncable Thai word.  To get there take Leeland out from downtown until it turns into Telephone, but still inside the loop.  It is a small hole-in-the wall on the left.  The decor is as basic as it gets, but the food is great!  Is like the Ninfa's on Navigation - an unpretentious place in an out-of-the-way neighborhood that develops a loyal following of people from all over the city.  Now you're in on the secret.  B)

This sounds like something I should look into. Thanks for the suggestion!

• 1 month later...

I went to the Galleria yesterday, and everyone was dressed so well. I mean I thought I was in New York or something. All the women looked like models. they all had class and had on the best looking clothes. And they call Houston one of the fattest cities in America, I don't think so. I think many cities are envy of Houston in many ways.

First we went to drove by Highland Village just because I wanted to so my family. They were amazed, they never knew that area of Houston existed. They saw all of the palm trees with christmas lights rapped around them and the stores that had bowes on them made to look like gifts.

Uptown Houston looked like a very large city itself. The parking garage near the Cheese Cake Factory was pretty full so we parked above ground. Looking around the view is amazing! Lots of people driving Hummers, Jaguars, mercades, etc. Last time I went to the Galleria I saw a Maybach.

maybach03.jpg

This was also the coldest I have ever seen Houston!

We got there at 7:00 pm and left the Galleria at 10:00pm.

It was dark and cold but nice!

Edited by citykid09

Citykid, you're right, the Galleria area is all about high class!

I'd like to see some new development like that in both Uptown and Midtown... although for Uptown something maybe more contemporary, but definitely upscale and classy!

The corner of Post Oak and San Felipe would be a good place for something like a few of the above pics.

the previous two posts are spot on. if there's anything i learned about teh nouvo riche since i have been in houston is that they may have bucks but they still fall short in culture and class. as for the developments being "cookie-cutter", absolutly...and they look cheap too as in shoddy construction..

If anything, we should have something distinctly Houston, while being urban at the same time. Something that is unique, and HOUSTON only. In a way, that street, while nice, somewhat gives off the vibes of a Post Apartment development(cliched, etc). And yes, I agree about that "class" comment. Class is about character, NOT wealth.

Culture and class can't be bought. Houston/The Galleria needs to learn that lesson desperately. Buying all your clothing at Neiman Marcus makes you no more of a sophisticate than sleeping in your garage makes you a car.

I live very near to San Jose, where those pictures were taken. The development is rather cookie-cutter, but the area still has a nice "feel" to it.

Culture and class can't be bought. Houston/The Galleria needs to learn that lesson desperately. Buying all your clothing at Neiman Marcus makes you no more of a sophisticate than sleeping in your garage makes you a car.

I live very near to San Jose, where those pictures were taken. The development is rather cookie-cutter, but the area still has a nice "feel" to it.

There is a great deal of wisdom in this.

My wife works in a place where rich people shop. A couple of days a week I will go pick her up after work, and if she's not ready I kind of stand quietly in the corner waiting for her. Mostly I observe people coming and going. There are people who are all outfitted in the latest really expensive styles who do a lot of dumb things, or ask dumb questions, or look uncomfortable, or who just don't seem to belong in the store. Then there are other people who come in totally casual -- sometimes in a sweat suit -- who look like they belong. I'm not sure what it is about them that makes them look like they belong there even though they're dressed worse than me. I think it's that indefinable point of "class." I always ask my wife who the shabbily-dressed people are and more often than not they're celebs or rich people I've heard of. I think this helps illustrate the point that you can buy stuff, but you can't buy class. If I could put my finger on it, I could make a bundle.