Coyote Uglys Downtown

Guest danax
From their website:

Coyote Ugly Saloon, the most famous bar in the world... :D

While it sounds like the Denny's of urban drinking joints, chain retail can add a certain stability to DT which could help the overall mix. It's a sign that the raw, experimental stage of DT retail is slowly coming to a close and, just like in gentrifying residential areas, a lot of the oddball color will turn beige.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my main problem with some of the places is that it's TOO touristy. We need something with a little local flavor.

maybe a downhome Ninfas? I think they need a place downtown.

the sons opened one up (maybe el tiempo)....and charged ridiculously high prices and it closed.l

Whew! Glad to see what this topic is really about. For a minute there I was afraid it was about me and my friends back when we waited tables in the nightclubs on Market Square in the 70's-80's. With pictures of us sitting on the curb while the sun came up. It's a wonder we have any brain cells left!

i heard that Ugly's is opening downtown !!! my guess would be between the 200-400 block of Main Street or so... does anyone know where they leased space ? ps- i am glad that this particular national operator had enough sense to select downtown :blush: . Clearly they have good direction in selecting a location, as opposed to some other groups....(shhhhh !!!!)

is it going in where Suede was on Main. it looks like there is construction going on in the space at this time...i heard this space was recently acquired ?

s it going in where Suede was on Main. it looks like there is construction going on in the space at this time...i heard this space was recently acquired ?

Suede hasn't been replaced, and the building continues to be owned by Stowers.

s it going in where Suede was on Main. it looks like there is construction going on in the space at this time...i heard this space was recently acquired ?

Suede hasn't been replaced, and the building continues to be owned by Stowers.

ok. but i heard the space was leased by someone else...

I think there is still one in Chase Tower as well, at least there was...

We used to eat at that one (Ninfa's)only in desperation for lack of any other Mex restaraunts nearby our building (Pennzoil Tower). It was a good thing it closed. It was like eating a child's TV dinner. It would take 3 plates to satisfy any hunger. Airline food topped that joint.

As far as this Coyote whatever... trendy, trendy, trendy.

Flash in the pan.

Here today gone tomorrow!

Come on Midtown Coog...(bullhorn) all together gang...Houston Be Yourself!

It IS expensive. I've not had lunch there in close to year but lunch set me back (by myself) over $20.00 when you include the drink, appetizers, tax and tip.

did you actually have to pay for it out of your pocket ?? what happened to the topic...

my main problem with some of the places is that it's TOO touristy. We need something with a little local flavor.

maybe a downhome Ninfas? I think they need a place downtown.

Yes, they are, but they are supposed to be. Downtown could stand to live a little, and be able to have a place to go for those tourists who might want to do something else other than sit in their hotel room because there is nothing else to do. I can't imagine that they would sit and navigate the downtown site to figure out what to do, as those people have downtown houston broken up into more areas than New York. i think they have 10 different areas in 1 downtown ? it's amazing ?

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. The best places are the street taco truck vendors. Ninfa's got nothing over the trucks. Brings back memories of walking across the border to Reynosa Mexico and hitting up some of those taco stands. Cheap, too.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. The best places are the street taco truck vendors. Ninfa's got nothing over the trucks. Brings back memories of walking across the border to Reynosa Mexico and hitting up some of those taco stands. Cheap, too.

you should try the laredo taco company...located in some chevrons. i know there's one at s wayside and 610 and one at bellfort/howard and 45. i was introduced to these last yr and wow was i surprised. homemade tortillas and the standard fillings for 99. i think egg/sausage is 1.49. i'm not sure where else they are located but it is definitely worth a try.

you should try the laredo taco company...located in some chevrons. i know there's one at s wayside and 610 and one at bellfort/howard and 45. i was introduced to these last yr and wow was i surprised. homemade tortillas and the standard fillings for 99. i think egg/sausage is 1.49. i'm not sure where else they are located but it is definitely worth a try.

2112 is right, sometimes the best quality food is out of the trucks.

In some parts of town, it's busy enough where a cart would be an excellent idea. I noticed one outside of two of the court houses downtown and they seem to do quite a bit of business. I get a bottle of water from one when I have the urge too from time to time.

Back on topic:

C-Uglies is a poor concept for a city like ours. They'll be lame in a couple of years. Maybe they might be better off locating it in the Village or Uptown where there is more of a tourist crowd. (I know i'm going to get slammed for that statement)

Agreed in that what I know of Coyote Ugly (from the movie, an episode or two of a related reality TV show, and a brief visit to the N.O. location) is that it's primarily known for its bartenders dancing on the bar. The reality TV show - I want to say it was focused on the opening of the Austin location - showed girls at try-outs for waitress positions and then training to do the dances. Just some context for those who hadn't heard of the chain before.

You might want to add female patrons taking off their bras too. Not that it will happen here if the bar opened in Downtown, but anything can happen with lots of alcohol. Then you will see complaints, then HPD doing vice visits, and then trouble starts. I can see it already. I love the idea of this bar coming though. Would love to visit before it gets shut down.

You might want to add female patrons taking off their bras too. Not that it will happen here if the bar opened in Downtown, but anything can happen with lots of alcohol. Then you will see complaints, then HPD doing vice visits, and then trouble starts. I can see it already. I love the idea of this bar coming though. Would love to visit before it gets shut down.

It seems that the locals are so fickle in this town anyway that downtown would probably do better overall in the long run positioning itself heavier for tourists anyway. We know that locals will always have a problem with any given area, and at least this way people visiting will have something to do whether it's during the slower days of the week or on weekends. I hate to break anyones heart but Coyote's and Pavilions types are probably more interested in appealing to the tourists/conventioneers that come to George Brown, Minute Maid, and Toyota Center.

It seems that the locals are so fickle in this town anyway that downtown would probably do better overall in the long run positioning itself heavier for tourists anyway. We know that locals will always have a problem with any given area, and at least this way people visiting will have something to do whether it's during the slower days of the week or on weekends. I hate to break anyones heart but Coyote's and Pavilions types are probably more interested in appealing to the tourists/conventioneers that come to George Brown, Minute Maid, and Toyota Center.

I agree, Houston should position itself for tourists. That strategy will make Downtown boom like it did in 99'. I think a Coyote Ugly type bar would never survive in this town . There will some local group looking to shut it down. I'm sure it would be a really fun place to be if it did open, even if it is a short-lived bar. If a bar like this catered to more tourists/conventioneers, then its doors would close even faster. Tourists/Out-towners tend to be more adventurous, thus more lewdness, wild stuff going on. This will lead to trouble, etc. Houston is just way too conservative.

Does anyone think that if downtown positions itself to attract more out of towners, that there will be some conflict with downtown residents? I'm sure downtown residents enjoy the nightlife and bars there,but i would think many would not like the idea of their 'suburb' sort of speak being frequented/runned by tourists. Just curious.

I agree, Houston should position itself for tourists. That strategy will make Downtown boom like it did in 99'. I think a Coyote Ugly type bar would never survive in this town . There will some local group looking to shut it down. I'm sure it would be a really fun place to be if it did open, even if it is a short-lived bar. If a bar like this catered to more tourists/conventioneers, then its doors would close even faster. Tourists/Out-towners tend to be more adventurous, thus more lewdness, wild stuff going on. This will lead to trouble, etc. Houston is just way too conservative.

positioning itself for tourists is probably not the best strategy because for a biz to be successful, you need as much traffic as possible all the time, not just during conventions etc. as for the coyote ugly concept, seems kind of lame from someone who does support downtown businesses.

btw may i ask your age?

Does anyone think that if downtown positions itself to attract more out of towners, that there will be some conflict with downtown residents? I'm sure downtown residents enjoy the nightlife and bars there,but i would think many would not like the idea of their 'suburb' sort of speak being frequented/runned by tourists. Just curious.

interesting comment. i think there is enough room for both groups (local/tourists) to be happy. it's my impression that basically all the focus is on the out of towners already. We don't hear anything about downtown as a direct result of any orgs downtown its for the most part dependant upon self-promotion. it appears that downtowns focus is primarily on gaining business for George Brown via conventions and capturing business from new orleans. they seem aligned with pavilions which is great, but what about the rest of downtown and reaching out on a local level. ...at least it seems there is an effort to do this, but it seems rather self serving for the city in my opinion. it doesn't really serve downtown as a whole.

I'm not a big proponent of Coyote Ugly, but I think it would be nice to have at least some kind of variation downtown. It all can't be just local bars and restaraunts. You do need something for the out of towners, tourist, and young crowd. I'm not saying it has to be like Austins 6th St., but maybe more like 4th St.

I'm not a big proponent of Coyote Ugly, but I think it would be nice to have at least some kind of variation downtown. It all can't be just local bars and restaraunts. You do need something for the out of towners, tourist, and young crowd.
so the out of towners, tourists, and young crowd don't eat or drink? what do you have against local establishments?

Archived