I saw something on facebook about a preview of it tomorrow but according to 29-95, they will be opening on February 27 (which seems a long way if everything is pretty much stocked)

http://www.29-95.com...9989?gid=762986

Friday is January 27th, so it must be a typo. The apples certainly won't last that long.

• 2 weeks later...

I work and live in downtown so i really want Georgia's to make it, but i won't hold my breath.

First, the good; Thier prices are reasonalbe (mostly organic and local, so it will cost more, but still reasonalbe compared to Whole Foods), store is clean, employees are friendly, good selection of local beers and their is a good selection of organic produce, the food from the bufett bar tastes good. The bad, their overall selection is limiting. No bakery section, convienance store sized dairy section, convienance store sized meat/poultry selection. Overall beer and wine selection is too small. The check-out process is too slow. Everytime i've tried to checkout, i've had to move to a different register, because not all the registers have scales? Also i'm used to watching on a screen as my groceries are added, but here i'm just supposed to "trust" the price is right? Also, there is no drug section; no soap, toilet paper, shampoo etc... Also, their meat and poultry is grass fed and local, but i didn't see an Organic label on them, so i'm not sure if it's technically organic.

The store just opened, so from what they have told me they are getting new items in everyday and some things things are not fully operational yet. So i'll give them a little more time...

The checkout speed is something that will improve with time. Someone there told me they were forced to open prematurely (City? Landlord? He didn't say) so hopefully they can get prices on everything soon. I have some suggestions for them, but I was going to wait for them to settle in before sending them. One example is that $7 for a pint of local craft beer is way too much, unless it's something really special. $4 is typical, and $5 is an upper boundary, imo.

Anyway, I hope they're successful. I think it's still a challengingly small place to have a grocer. They blow Byrd's away and are making fairly good use of the space.

Edited by kylejack

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went in yesterday evening with a friend from St. Germain. Items were pricey IMO. Including us, they had 4 customers.

We went in about 2 weeks ago - around 5:00pm....1 other person in the store....I also agree, prices seemed high....$4.99 for a jar of dill pickles -- not some fancy kind, the same kind I buy at HEB for $1.99 !! Some of the produce seemed like it had been sitting out - unrefrigerated - for the whole day. I wonder what kind of lunch business they do, the prepared food looked good.

We went in about 2 weeks ago - around 5:00pm....1 other person in the store....I also agree, prices seemed high....$4.99 for a jar of dill pickles -- not some fancy kind, the same kind I buy at HEB for $1.99 !! Some of the produce seemed like it had been sitting out - unrefrigerated - for the whole day. I wonder what kind of lunch business they do, the prepared food looked good.

There were quite a few tables occupied for lunch yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Like some of the comments made in the chron article, I really wish we could somehow get a mini HEB or something that sells everyday items for the people that live downtown.

It's nice to have these upscale places downtown but I think the HEB would add a little more traffic to the area which might entice people to stop into these fancier places.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I really tried to support this place, but it's too frustrating. The bulk bins are empty and have not been restocked in weeks. Produce sits out for days. I walked over today to buy dishwasher detergent and the shelf was empty. Who is their target customer? Is it the m-f worker crowd or the local downtown resident crowd?

Anyways their website (the downtown website) is down for non payment.

http://georgiasdowntown.com/

wow...can anyone fully decide on what the true downtown market really is? It seem's like Byrd's didnt know who their target audience was and it seems like Georgia's is starting to fall into the same hole...I understand that there may not be as much foot traffic over there as opposed to over by Phoenicia but they really need to get some basic necessities for the resident's - which is one of the reasons I still go to Randall's over Georgia's or Phoenicia...

It would be interesting to poll downtown residents about where they shop for grocery's and why they don't shop at downtown grocers.

I'm not a Downtown resident, but in Montrose so pretty close. I go to Phoenicia at least once every 2 weeks. Any time I'm there I see a healthy number of customers in the store... it's developed a regular and stable following.

Phoenicia is different from other Houston grocers of course... it has a very European setup, and remind me of the supermarkets I went to in Paris or the UK. But the prices are quite comparable on many items to Randall's or Kroger. Some items like pasta noodles or some of the cheese are actually cheaper than the chain grocers.

Yeah I think Phoenicia makes clear what a downtown grocer has to do to survive: they need to offer people who live in the surrounding neighborhoods a reason to drive into downtown. Phoenicia offers something different enough from Kroger, Fiesta, HEB, Central Market or Whole Foods that it's somewhat of a destination. Plus, yeah, their prices are actually very reasonable.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...