Didn't know where to put this, but I saw a gentleman measuring off the building today. He had measuring tape and was jotting everything down on his notepad. He also had what looked like a sketched/diagram kind of figure on his paper.

That's odd, I saw the same thing a few months ago over at the Hyatt Downtown. Coincidence?

Didn't know where to put this, but I saw a gentleman measuring off the building today. He had measuring tape and was jotting everything down on his notepad. He also had what looked like a sketched/diagram kind of figure on his paper.

I wouldn't read too much into it. It could be anything, from an HCAD representative taking exterior measurements to an architecture student non-technically surveying the area for a project.

Fretz Construction was the original construction company. When the building came up for sale, Bob Fretz bought it -- had the original drawings and everything. Very cool rooftop -- indoor/outdoor kitchen, wall for outdoor movies, etc. Converted floor 2 to three residential units and floor 3 to two units. He lives in one of them. He sold four, possibly all five units. Is actively looking for a compatible (to residential) restaurant or other establishment for the first floor.

• 2 years later...

there's a market square function next weekend and i noticed this on the website

Byrd’s Market & Café

420 Main

This new neighborhood market will be opening at the end of this month. Get a sneak peek though and enjoy wonderful appetizers and desserts, wine tastings and more!

tn_IMAG0018.jpgtn_IMAG0023.jpgtn_IMAG0024.jpg

Took these around 7:30 AM today. Didn't want to get too close because workers were looking annoyed at me. They've already got chairs inside and they're building benches. There's a staircase right inside the door that goes to the second floor, so looks like the first two floors will be the market/restaurant.

• Like 1

tn_IMAG0018.jpgtn_IMAG0023.jpgtn_IMAG0024.jpg

Took these around 7:30 AM today. Didn't want to get too close because workers were looking annoyed at me. They've already got chairs inside and they're building benches. There's a staircase right inside the door that goes to the second floor, so looks like the first two floors will be the market/restaurant.

And there's a new "Byrd's" sign in gold above the entrance.

• 2 weeks later...

I rode by it tonight on the way home from dinner at GrumBar. The liquor license notice said it was for "Byrd Market/Grape Wine Bar".

The license is actually for two concepts. The wine bar will be next to Byrd's. Byrd's should be open in a few weeks. Everyone should check it out and help make it a permanent institution.

Heres a pic I took of it.

byrds-hdr-1024x680.jpg

• Like 1

The license is actually for two concepts. The wine bar will be next to Byrd's. Byrd's should be open in a few weeks. Everyone should check it out and help make it a permanent institution.

Heres a pic I took of it.

byrds-hdr-1024x680.jpg

nice to see you 'round houstonretail. thanks for the input.

Nice building design,...good location. Hope it's successful.

By the way, that tall bldg. to the right of it, ...second one, what was it, originally, anyone know? Last time I was at Cabo, we parked by it, the parking lot against it's east wall had remnants of multi-colored tiles on the actual parking lot, very mysterious.

Nice building design,...good location. Hope it's successful.

By the way, that tall bldg. to the right of it, ...second one, what was it, originally, anyone know? Last time I was at Cabo, we parked by it, the parking lot against it's east wall had remnants of multi-colored tiles on the actual parking lot, very mysterious.

State National Bank Building. Not sure if that was the original use. Constructed in 1924.

http://www.archiplanet.org/wiki/State_National_Bank_Building

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 1

State National Bank Building. Not sure if that was the original use. Constructed in 1924.

http://www.archiplan...l_Bank_Building

Ahh, Finn, gotta love 'em. (I'm trailing from the Byrd Bldg., a bit). I just looked on GoogleEarth, too. A smaller (looks like two story) bldg. sits next to the bank bldg. That bldg's east wall is exactly where those tiles were.

• 3 weeks later...

Menus visible from the windows today. Burgers, one with a fried egg. 2 breakfast burritos, one with sausage egg cheese and sweet potato fries, all in the burrito. Another with avocado egg cheese and I forget what else. Chilaquiles! Many other things. Looking good. Sign on the door says they will "open soon" and that they're training today.

I saw fresh produce being delivered this morning, so they will presumably open any day now.

Other updates in the area: There's a lockout notice posted on iBar as of two days ago, another bar fails on Main Street. Next to the cigar shop where the Quiznos used to be there's a sign advertising that a sandwich and seafood shop is coming.