Sign in to follow this  
GovernorAggie

420 Main St. - Byrd Building

I really tried to support this place, but it's too frustrating. The bulk bins are empty and have not been restocked in weeks. Produce sits out for days. I walked over today to buy dishwasher detergent and the shelf was empty. Who is their target customer? Is it the m-f worker crowd or the local downtown resident crowd?

Anyways their website (the downtown website) is down for non payment.

http://georgiasdowntown.com/

wow...can anyone fully decide on what the true downtown market really is? It seem's like Byrd's didnt know who their target audience was and it seems like Georgia's is starting to fall into the same hole...I understand that there may not be as much foot traffic over there as opposed to over by Phoenicia but they really need to get some basic necessities for the resident's - which is one of the reasons I still go to Randall's over Georgia's or Phoenicia...

It would be interesting to poll downtown residents about where they shop for grocery's and why they don't shop at downtown grocers.

The thing about Georgia's is that it is mostly specialty items. If you're trying to be gluten-free or whatever, maybe it's great. I did like to buy produce there, before the produce disappeared.

Didn't one of the owners recently die? Might have something to do with the current situation...

I think it was the wife who died.

It would be interesting to poll downtown residents about where they shop for grocery's and why they don't shop at downtown grocers.

I'm not a Downtown resident, but in Montrose so pretty close. I go to Phoenicia at least once every 2 weeks. Any time I'm there I see a healthy number of customers in the store... it's developed a regular and stable following.

Phoenicia is different from other Houston grocers of course... it has a very European setup, and remind me of the supermarkets I went to in Paris or the UK. But the prices are quite comparable on many items to Randall's or Kroger. Some items like pasta noodles or some of the cheese are actually cheaper than the chain grocers.

Yeah I think Phoenicia makes clear what a downtown grocer has to do to survive: they need to offer people who live in the surrounding neighborhoods a reason to drive into downtown. Phoenicia offers something different enough from Kroger, Fiesta, HEB, Central Market or Whole Foods that it's somewhat of a destination. Plus, yeah, their prices are actually very reasonable.

• Like 1