• 2 weeks later...

"breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week" - yay!

The menu looks pretty good - for the cheapskate in me, what were the prices like?

Modest for downtown, IMO, but ymmv. Also, I think they should get some lunch specials. A burger with fried green tomatoes and a chili sauce, sweet potato fries, and a soft drink ran me $12 last night.

IMAG0291.jpgIMAG0292.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped by a couple weeks ago - the food was pretty good but I have my reservations about the concept. It was dead when we went (8pm ish on a Friday) and the dry goods were a little awkward.

I had the stuffed burger - good, but not $9 good..

• 1 year later...

It's gone. And while it's sad to see a business go, they were running it really wrong.

How so? just curious. When they first opened they were really good, but the food started to go downhill somewhat. I do remember going there when they sold produce, but stopped :(

I really hate the commentators on the Chronicle website...especially when it comes to downtown.

http://blog.chron.co...7/bye-bye-byrds

Yes, definitely quite a few "Debbie Downers."

I've gone a couple of times, but I was unimpressed with the food as well as the service. Hopefully OPP will offer a much better location for Phoenicia.

I noticed the shelves had been cleared yesterday. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I walk by there twice a day and only went in once (for a menu).

You shouldn't be. It didn't entice you, and obviously, didn't entice enough others either. Yeah it sucks that the local shop closed, but it sucks more that he didn't have a strategy that worked, cause now that shop is gone, and others will use that as an excuse not to try.

Yes, definitely quite a few "Debbie Downers."

I've gone a couple of times, but I was unimpressed with the food as well as the service. Hopefully OPP will offer a much better location for Phoenicia.

Being right across the street from the park and directly underneath some posh condos, they should. Assuming it's like the Phoenicia on the west side of town. I'll stop by, at least to buy some hookah tobacco.

I went to Byrd's twice for lunch, it was nothing to write home about. Their windows were very poorly presented to the public, with a spare and almost desparate look about them. The first time my wife and I walked in during the evening it was so uninviting (staff/interior layout/branded products) that we walked the circulation, took a gander at the menu, and promptly left.

Hopefully another operater can make that location work (especially in tandem with the renovation of that other old little bldg by Z-C down the block from them).

Edited by infinite_jim

The food they made ranged from mediocre to quite good, but the retail component was always a big disaster. They offered very very little and it was all way overpriced. They were selling Lola Savannah (which comes from the warehouse about ten blocks away) at a very significant markup. They ditched the fresh produce and replaced it with expensive cleaning supplies. Maybe fresh produce wasn't working, as it does spoil, after all, but they didn't make much of an effort, in my opinion, to revive or renovate the retail side.

Revival Market is a pretty good example of what Byrd's should have been.

Well, that's a bummer.

As someone who lived close by, it was nice to be able to get milk and bread without having to get into my car.

I will admit though, they always seemed to be dropping certain items from their inventory. When it opened they had produce, deli meats and cheeses, milk, juice, etc. It was nice for a little while. However, for a regular customer, it was sort of like a guessing game going in every week to see what products they would no longer be carrying. While I sort of understood why they stopped carrying perishables (low sales), I always wondered why their stocks of wine, pasta, and other long shelf-life items dwindled. I always felt like they should have tried a big retail push or two towards the end, but it's not my money.

Well, I was hopeful when I saw the sign on the window that it would change for the better. Now I am confused as to what is going to happen to that space, why put up a sign saying you are updating/upgrading if you are closing for good? From now until whenever Phoenicia opens (Was supposed to be early 2011, then April, then May, then June, July, August, and now September), I guess I will be getting the basics at CVS.

Well, I was hopeful when I saw the sign on the window that it would change for the better. Now I am confused as to what is going to happen to that space, why put up a sign saying you are updating/upgrading if you are closing for good?

Not sure if it is the case here, but sometimes businesses will do this so that they can move out all their inventory before the building owner locks them out for breaching the lease contract.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...