Memories Of Texas Medical Center

DMac

Texas Medical Center Member Institutions in 1946-47 a study was conducted that concluded the following 10 institutions as members that make up TMC:

1. Baylor University College of Medicine

2. University of Texas Dental Branch

3. University of Texas School of Public Health

4. University of Texas Post-Graduate Medical School

5. M.D. Anderson Hospital for Cancer Research

6. Herman Hospital

7. Methodist Hospital

8. St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital

9. Tuberculosis Hospital

10. Medical Library of Houston Academy of Medicine

Given the passage of almost 6 decades how many more institutions would you thank have become members & would the old TB hospital still be active or changed names and mission today?

• Like 1

There are 42 member institutions today. Others include...

UT Nursing

UT Biomedical Sciences

Prairie View ATM Nursing

Texas Woman's U Health Sciences/Nursing

ATM Health Science Center

U of Houston Pharmacy

Rice University

Texas Southern U Pharmacy and Health Science

Houston Comm. College

DeBakey High School

Harris County Hosp. District- Ben Taub and LBJ

Hospice at TMC

Shriner's Children's Hospital

Texas Children's

TIRR (rehab and research)

VA Hospital

Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center

Ronald McDonald House

Institute of Religion and Health

McGovern Museum of Health

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Here are a few photos that I've aquired that show TCH (Texas Children's Hospital) and TMC under various stages of construction.

TCH1.jpg

Original Texas Children's Hospital 3 story 'Abercrombie' building under construction in 1953

TCH2.jpg

TCH open for business in February of 1954

TCH3.jpg

Texas Children's Hospital adding 3 floors to 'Abercrombie' in 1967

TCH4.jpg

TCH with St. Lukes in background in undated photo (1970's)

TCH5.jpg

Early 90's, TCH's 'West Tower' (upper left) and 'Feigin Center' (lower right) under construction. TCH/BCM/USDA joint building called CNRC (Children's Nutrition Research Center) sits in center of both construction projects. 'S-Lot' (parking lot at corner of Fannin and Holcombe, next to CNRC) awaits it's future. Notice St. Luke's Medical Tower under construction across the street from Fannin.

TCH6.jpg

Late 90's, TCH's 'West Tower' is complete (although only 4 floors at this point) and TCH's 'Feigin Center' is complete and standing at 12 floors. 'S-Lot' parking lot at Fannin & Holcombe about to be cleared for construction of TCH's new 'Clinical Care Center' building and additional 16 floors added to the newly completed 'West Tower'.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Jackson
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing the photos! Didn't check to see if these others had previously been posted here, but there are TCH photos posted on other sites from 1958 and 1959. Many of them are (mildly) entertaining publicity shots of LBJ or "Tarzan" lending a hand with the eponymous children, but there are some exterior shots as well. The site with the 1959 photo has a large and interesting collection of historic postcards/photos of healthcare facilities in Houston and other Texas cities.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Any guesses as to when it was taken? I'm going to guess sometime around 1940, give or take.

I am thinking around 1948 - based on the construction on Fannin, since that is when it was extended through Hermann Park

• Like 1

I am thinking around 1948 - based on the construction on Fannin, since that is when it was extended through Hermann Park

I think you're pretty close. The Hermann Professional Building and the new Hermann Hospital Building are under construction in the picture. Here's what I found looking at Hermann Hospital history...

1947- Ground is broken for new main hospital building

(later named the Robertson Pavilion) and for Hermann Professional Building, the first high-rise office building outside of downtown.

1949- Professional Building opens.Opening ceremonies take place for the hospital's new main building, reportedly the first major hospital in the nation to be air-conditioned.

What a fantastic picture! You can also see the merry-go-round, which is all that remains of the little kiddie-ride park across the street from Bill Williams' Restaurant. That is where the Tidelands Motor-Inn would eventually be built.

• Like 1

Wow, fantastic photo!

Would someone mind posting an editing version of this photo showing the various landmarks than can be identified? That would be really cool. I always have a hard time figuring out what's what on these aerial photos... :wacko:

• Like 1

Would be nice to have something for landmark identification like with this 1958 photo of the Medical Center area. The drawing was done on a drafting table. No computer-aided drafting back then.

4lq0kg9.jpg

4pd5a2w.jpg

Edited by 57Tbird
  • Like 1

Must have meant critic. Not critique.

Haif is loaded with Ebert & Roeper's. :)

Actually that updated photo looks quite like Toronto. From above anyway.

PS, Houston was doing quite well around 1947-49. New construction was everywhere and it was time to make babies after returning from the war. Cheers to baby-boomers!

In the first photo, what is the large building on Holcombe, about where the Fannin Bank building is now?

Also, in the late 1950s aerial shot, is the Pier 21 restaurant visible? I haven't been able to figure out the exact location.

Thanks.

Subdude, As Earlydays mentioned, that building at the bottom (where Fannin Bank would be later) is the Hi-Hat dance hall.

In my picture, Pier 21 is the building just south of and right next to the bayou on the east side of Fannin, or Old Main Street Road as it was referrred to then. It's kind of hard to see, but it's at the end of where that big parking area is.

• 4 weeks later...

There used to be a restaurant in this area called The Normandy in the mid to late 1940's.

Just wonder who or where a person could go to find out the background story of the place. I really want to see a picture.

Maybe I'm just too late. :(

Edited by Vertigo58