Landfill West Of Shadow Creek Ranch

noodlemonger

BW, whats the feeling like at SCR over the looming landfill expansion? mass exodus, determination to fight, regret?

I put option money down on a house to be finished in august;i think ill go ahead and purchase the house but I cannot tsay that i'm not concerned;

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BW, whats the feeling like at SCR over the looming landfill expansion? mass exodus, determination to fight, regret?

I put option money down on a house to be finished in august;i think ill go ahead and purchase the house but I cannot tsay that i'm not concerned;

I think there is some anger out there about people not knowing before putting down money. I have seen about 5 homes in my subdivision this year back out. Now, those may not have anything to do with the landfill. I know one person who backed out because of it and moved to the east end of SCR. The others could simply be because they couldn't sell their previous abode, a decent possibility unless they're coming from Florida or California. Two of my neighbors are from CA and I know for a fact they made some good money on cashing out at the peak there.

There is no cohesion from SCR residents to fight the landfill that I know of personally. And at this point, I'm not sure it would do any good. Would 1000 signatures stop it? 5000? 10000? 50000? I don't know. The weather forecasting issue COULD stop it but I still don't think it will.

The "common good" doesn't matter. Money does.

I lived in Florida in the late 90's. Being a student at the time I used to drive around and would drive by a big Landfill west of Ft. Lauderdale. I always wondered how bad the smell was for some of the local residents since it was a booming area with a lot of development around. At that time they were covering it with grass and it was always nice to see a hill in the middle of Florida!

Look how things have turned around there....... Don't know if the Blue Ridge Landfill could be develop in to something like this down the road, but for sure it would be nice to have a hill view from SCR!

Landfill Park

Vista View Park

It is also funny (or not) how most of the cheaper homes are being built closer to the landfill. The larger ones (homes and lots) are built away from the landfill. Just look:

SCR%20Site%20Plan%20Large.jpg

It is also funny (or not) how most of the cheaper homes are being built closer to the landfill. The larger ones (homes and lots) are built away from the landfill.

Meritage has a subdivision named 'Pelican Shores' and Perry's 'Eden Cove' are VERY close to landfill but not in the cheap category. There may be more, but these are two I am aware of. I think (most of) the cheaper homes are between Kingsley and Biscayne Bay

Meritage has a subdivision named 'Pelican Shores' and Perry's 'Eden Cove' are VERY close to landfill but not in the cheap category. There may be more, but these are two I am aware of. I think (most of) the cheaper homes are between Kingsley and Biscayne Bay

If I am not wrong, there is also one of the new coming subdivisions with Gated entrance on that side of SCR, very close to 521.

If I am not wrong, there is also one of the new coming subdivisions with Gated entrance on that side of SCR, very close to 521.

I think I have seen gates over there but I'm not sure which subdivision it is. Maybe I'll take a drive over that way tonight.

They built more lakes on the east side of SCR. More lakes = more cash.

I do know that the Arbor Lakes section has homes around 300k. I think average SCR is about 215-225.

There was a huge landfill about 8 miles from where I grew up in Wisconsin. They turned it into a ski hill. :)

Olympica Ski Resort

Only 35 feet taller than the proposed Blue Ridge expansion!

Also, I think Shadow Creek Parkway is supposed to get widened this summer.

They built more lakes on the east side of SCR. More lakes = more cash.

The SCR project manager told me there are more lakes on the east side of SCR because the land is lower and that side needs more help with retention ponds. Supposedly the middle area around Kingsley is the highest ground. A good rain storm will tell, but so far I haven't seen any problems with flooding.

I could be mistaken but I think the Wildcat Golf Club on Almeda is a former landfill. http://www.wildcatgolfclub.com/golf-course...to-gallery.html

You're right, it is. That's what gives the course it's "elevation changes" and "best views of downtown and Med. Ctr."

There's two courses there, Highlands and Lakes. Highlands is on the north side of the property and is definitely built on the higher part of the landfill.

They're both good courses, but a little too expensive for me to play there all the time.

I remember when the area was pastureland.....water would accumulate....don't know now but as of 5 years ago...518 (the area by SCR) wasn't the best street to be on after a hard rain..it was a bumpy ride and water was everywhere

• 2 weeks later...

responding to posts here and there in this thread:

- My model base price has gone up $50k since I signed the start papers in May '04. Of course, I know I couldn't get that much for it. I'd be lucky to get what I paid in IMO. Those models might be on bigger lots or a prime neighborhood, too.

- The lower priced houses ($150k - $220k) are in Pinecrest, Heatherwood, and Half Moon Bay on the SE corner. They tend to get bigger the more north and west you go. I'm sure there are similar neighborhoods on the West or around the northern side by McHard. There are a LOT of $350k+ neighborhoods in the interior

- I've heard that housing starts in SCR have really slown down.

- Drainage has been pretty good inside of SCR. There are some issues here and there, but the stock ponds are doing their job. They got to the brim onetime last fall though. I was a little afraid we were going to see some spill out into the neighborhoods.

- Drainage in my yard is pretty so-so, but that's because the ground is all clay. It becomes surface water nearly instantly.

- Drainage on 518 has been terrible, but they are in the process of widening the roads and installing drain pipes.

- Remember, this use to be a RICE paddy.

Just a little note about your area, actually a good part of what is now SCR was actually planted in soy beans, not rice. I spent a lot of time dove hunting out there and there were'nt any flooded rice fields, just rows and rows of soy beans. When I was a kid and the 288 right of way was cleared and the bridges over the creeks and bayous were built, we would drive out the ROW from Almeda Genoa and stop along the way and dove hunt on weekends. I also had a friend who knew the guy that farmed the area just north of 518 and west of 288 (basically a lot of SCR) and he let us hunt out there all the time. We did that up until the mid 90's when development was thinking about starting and the City of Pearland was looking to expand that direction. Right across 518 at CR 90 which is/ was the main entrance to Silverlake there was a sign hanging on the gate that advertised day leases for dove hunting right there. Not long ago when I drove by I saw that the posts for the gate were still there but it looked funny because all the land behind them was cleared and they were starting to build something there. Where 518 interscected with Cullen was known as Dead Mans curve because long ago that was where 518 ended and you could only turn north on Cullen resulting in a 90 degree turn in the road, hence Dead Mans curve. Wow, how things have changed over the years.

Just a little note about your area, actually a good part of what is now SCR was actually planted in soy beans, not rice. I spent a lot of time dove hunting out there and there were'nt any flooded rice fields, just rows and rows of soy beans. When I was a kid and the 288 right of way was cleared and the bridges over the creeks and bayous were built, we would drive out the ROW from Almeda Genoa and stop along the way and dove hunt on weekends. I also had a friend who knew the guy that farmed the area just north of 518 and west of 288 (basically a lot of SCR) and he let us hunt out there all the time. We did that up until the mid 90's when development was thinking about starting and the City of Pearland was looking to expand that direction. Right across 518 at CR 90 which is/ was the main entrance to Silverlake there was a sign hanging on the gate that advertised day leases for dove hunting right there. Not long ago when I drove by I saw that the posts for the gate were still there but it looked funny because all the land behind them was cleared and they were starting to build something there. Where 518 interscected with Cullen was known as Dead Mans curve because long ago that was where 518 ended and you could only turn north on Cullen resulting in a 90 degree turn in the road, hence Dead Mans curve. Wow, how things have changed over the years.

That brings back alot of fond memories. I can remember when 518 was just being cut through and 288 was not even open yet. We used to race our cars fromon 288 from HWY 6 to the new 518 interchange. Up until 1998, we used to hunt rabbit and dove on my site at the cr59/288 location. We used to also hunt the rice feilds in friendswood on fm528 that are now sa jaquin, boca raton, etc.

G

Anyone know if the smell reaches to Southern Trails? It's close to SCR @ Kirby...about 2 miles from the landfill

I was serious about the west end of SCR until I heard about this news. A friend in Trinity Shores says there's usually a weird chemical smell outside.

Anyone know if the smell reaches to Southern Trails? It's close to SCR @ Kirby...about 2 miles from the landfill

I was serious about the west end of SCR until I heard about this news. A friend in Trinity Shores says there's usually a weird chemical smell outside.

I current live in Southern Trails, and I haven't been able to smell anything similar to a "trash odor". But regardless, this expansion really ought to be stopped.

This link was already posted in the thread, but here it is again:

CABRLE: Coalition Against Blue Ridge Landfill Expansion

http://tinyurl.com/27eh9y

I live on the southeast side of SCR and also run and bike a lot as far as Kingsley and I have never felt any foul odor.

Related to a previous post, I went to the west side of SCR the other day and saw that a Subdivision called Holly Landing seems like it will be Gated. This should be the closest subdivision to the landfill!

I was surprised that on a weekend morning, also some of the manufacting facilities along 521 were sending a good amount of smoke in to the air.

they were there first....SCR knew what was around there when they built..I grew up down 2234 near the FB Parkway and they never bothered to build close to the oil wells..however, our new neighbors to the south in Fresno are amongst the oil wells and antenna farm..

after watching the one fall in the 80s. I thought that would be as fas as they would go...

Those antennas look so bad in the day.

No way. I use them as a quick guide for the altitude of the ceiling flying out of Houston Southwest Airport. I need at least 1500' to fly in the pattern under visual flight rules. Those towers are 2000' tall, so if I can see the tops, I'm good to fly.

When TCEQ granted green signal to BFI in March, Attorney Richard Morrison has mentioned that he is going to file a "Request for Contested Hearing" (RCH) to TCEQ. My understanding is that its the same TCEQ who decides on this request. Does anyone know anything about it ? Its accepted/rejected/pending

• 1 month later...

Friends,

Hello. This is a wonderful forum, I really appreciate all the posts. They are incredibly helpful for newcomers to Houston like me. We moved to Houston about 8 months ago, and I have been a reader of this forum since then. This is my first post.

We really like Shadow Creek ranch and Pearland, we were going to sign the contract on a new Meritage home, but we came across the Landfill expansion issue, and we have delayed our plans since then (about 6 months ago). I follow every news item about the Blue Ridge expansion, that I can get my hands on (CABRLE website, FB news etc), but I really would like to know from someone within SCR and long timers from Pearland about what they think might happen with the grant of a "contested - case" hearing and TCEQ decisions.

What is the general mood in SCR itself ? Are residents just resigned to "whatever happens - happens" or is there an exodus from SCR in anticipation that once the expansion is approved the property values will drop, and slowly but surely, SCR will turn into something not very nice ??

There are several reasons for liking SCR ( educated residents, shorter commute to downtown, nice amneties, reasonable costs etc), but this BR landfill issue has turned an easy decision into a basically no-decision for us.

Once again,

thanks a lot, and awaiting your responses,

Parag

As a new resident of SCR, it seems to me like people outside of SCR worry about the expansion much more than the people in SCR. That is not to say that we want the expansion or will sit by and let it happen without a fight, but it seems that people are not letting it comsume their daily lives. I can honestly say that I have never noticed a foul smell from the landfill from anywhere inside SCR, although I have occasionally smelled some nasty things on 521 and areas west. I do not know for certain if they are coming from the landfill.

I find it hard to believe, and hope that it is not the case, that there will be an exodus from SCR over this issue. The community is nice and the quality of people seems good. We hope to be here a long time.

I think there are two school of thoughts in SCR for the landfill issue.

One school thinks that they should fight agressively against the landfill at any cost and make their place safe to live. I think they are optimistc folks who think landfill expansion can be prevented by a collective protest.

Other school thinks that more protest and more media attention will only help to spread the news about the landfill and would reduce the property value irrespective of whether landfill expands or not. I think these folks are rather pessimistic and are doing the damage control by keeping the landfill issue within.

I think the general consesnsus is that, RCH will be granted on July 25 at the Austin hearing and the TV stations may be awarded a legal standpoint on the issue. But, a CH may take years to complete.

SCR is a great place but it appears sales are stand still now. Realtors were thinking that summer would bring a boost in SCR sales but the landfill spoiled those hopes. Recently Meritage offered a 50% off lake lot premiums, Perry offered $10K backyard upgrade and ryland reduced prices on their inventories by 15-20% on top of their other promotions

If (IF) landfill gets expanded, I am sure there will be some law suits against the builders and Newland (the owner). I am not sure howmany buyers were given a landfill disclosure form BEFORE buying a house in SCR. I visited some of the builder offices few months back and have received all their glossy blah-blah brochures and everything. Later, once I became aware of the Landfil issue, I replied (to one of their Sales emails) them asking about the landfill and got a response saying "The landfill is technically in Fresno, TX and has been there for approximately 11 years. It is non toxic and non hazardous". Obviously they were trying to imply that "Buddy, you are in Pearland and this landfill is in Fresno and last 11 years it dint create any issues" as if I do not know much on landfill. They were just acting ignorance on landfill expansion. When I replied back with all possible information, links and proofs - suddenly there was change of tone and it said " I would like to fax you our Landfill Disclosure form". So the bottomline is, all builders have a ready made disclosure available and it will be given only to someone who is educated about the landfill and asks for it. My understanding is that disclosures should have been voluntrarly given to all potential buyers.

I can honestly say that I have never noticed a foul smell from the landfill from anywhere inside SCR, although I have occasionally smelled some nasty things on 521 and areas west. I do not know for certain if they are coming from the landfill.

Yeah, Almeda (aka FM 521) is for some reason a refinery corridor. I'm not sure what the history behind it was, but if you use the EPA's Enviromapper tool, a lot of point-source emissions seem to be coming from plants along it.

I think there are two school of thoughts in SCR for the landfill issue.

One school thinks that they should fight agressively against the landfill at any cost and make their place safe to live. I think they are optimistc folks who think landfill expansion can be prevented by a collective protest.

Other school thinks that more protest and more media attention will only help to spread the news about the landfill and would reduce the property value irrespective of whether landfill expands or not. I think these folks are rather pessimistic and are doing the damage control by keeping the landfill issue within.

I think the general consesnsus is that, RCH will be granted on July 25 at the Austin hearing and the TV stations may be awarded a legal standpoint on the issue. But, a CH may take years to complete.

SCR is a great place but it appears sales are stand still now. Realtors were thinking that summer would bring a boost in SCR sales but the landfill spoiled those hopes. Recently Meritage offered a 50% off lake lot premiums, Perry offered $10K backyard upgrade and ryland reduced prices on their inventories by 15-20% on top of their other promotions

If (IF) landfill gets expanded, I am sure there will be some law suits against the builders and Newland (the owner). I am not sure howmany buyers were given a landfill disclosure form BEFORE buying a house in SCR. I visited some of the builder offices few months back and have received all their glossy blah-blah brochures and everything. Later, once I became aware of the Landfil issue, I replied (to one of their Sales emails) them asking about the landfill and got a response saying "The landfill is technically in Fresno, TX and has been there for approximately 11 years. It is non toxic and non hazardous". Obviously they were trying to imply that "Buddy, you are in Pearland and this landfill is in Fresno and last 11 years it dint create any issues" as if I do not know much on landfill. They were just acting ignorance on landfill expansion. When I replied back with all possible information, links and proofs - suddenly there was change of tone and it said " I would like to fax you our Landfill Disclosure form". So the bottomline is, all builders have a ready made disclosure available and it will be given only to someone who is educated about the landfill and asks for it. My understanding is that disclosures should have been voluntrarly given to all potential buyers.

No more than two years ago, SCR was the hottest thing in suburban Houston. Now, it is starting to sound like a dump (no pun intended).

Archived