Landfill west of Shadow Creek Ranch

I thought it was Blue Ridge but who knows....

technically, Shadow Creek is surrounded by landfills to the East and West...the land the community sits on was nothing but prairie land and didn't open up until the 90s anyway..

but as a kid I remember going to the dump on Anderson Road a few miles North of Shadow Creek and the Blue Ridge one was always there.

Once you cross the Beltway or if you take Hooper Road from the Beltway there's another Landfill also...

I just read this story about the landfill west of Shadow Creek Ranch.

My wife and I were looking hard at moving down to Shadow Creek Ranch. We love the houses and community amenities. But that story about the landfill gives me pause.

Do you folks think the landfill will cause problems in terms of sewage leakage, odor, and property devaluation?

Thanks!

Yes, it's the Blue Ridge landfill just west of SCR on FM 521. There were a lot meetings between BFI and affected citizen and BFI gave their "assurance" that there would be no problems with leaks or odors, but I doubt they can have control over a landfill of the size they are proposing. Currently the Blue Ridge landfill has been in use since the early 1990s and under the current contract will remain open for another 13 years. If BFI is allowed to expand I think the new landfill will be open for more 40 years. So far the city of Pearland has gotten involved and formally stated they are an affected group with this expansion. Hopefully BFI's landfill expanision will be denied. However, I think there has been only one denial for this type of request. Somewhere in the Northeast and it was fairly recent.

The only other landfill that is sort of nearby is one that is inside the Beltway on Almeda Genoa (I think). I see a sign for it when I take FM 521 to avoid 288 in the morning, but have never actually seen the landfill or smelled it. East of SCR is 288, shopping centers, and a subdivision. Haven't seen any landfills that way.

• 9 months later...

I am living in Shadow Creek Ranch. Actually, the odor is a problem here. I have a little two year old girl and it worries me a lot that we live close to landfill. For example, yesterday the order was so bad that first I smell it inside the house. I checked it outside how strong it was, and it was unbelievably bad. I could not believe that in the US something like this possible to happen. Why did they build such a butterfly community close to such a big landfill?

I would not recommend my friend to buy a house here. Shadow Creek Ranch is a butterfly place, but I don't enjoy living here. I always afraid that this smell could be poisoning to my baby. Think very carefully before buying house here. First you have to smell the bad odor we have here, before making your decision about moving to Shadow Creek Ranch. I am disappointed in Shadow Creek Ranch. I wish I knew about the odor before we bought a house here.

That is what I realy think. Sorry.

I am living in Shadow Creek Ranch. Actually, the odor is a problem here. I have a little two year old girl and it worries me a lot that we live close to landfill. For example, yesterday the order was so bad that first I smell it inside the house. I checked it outside how strong it was, and it was unbelievably bad. I could not believe that in the US something like this possible to happen. Why did they build such a butterfly community close to such a big landfill?

I would not recommend my friend to buy a house here. Shadow Creek Ranch is a butterfly place, but I don't enjoy living here. I always afraid that this smell could be poisoning to my baby. Think very carefully before buying house here. First you have to smell the bad odor we have here, before making your decision about moving to Shadow Creek Ranch. I am disappointed in Shadow Creek Ranch. I wish I knew about the odor before we bought a house here.

That is what I realy think. Sorry.

Maria..which side of Shadow Creek do you live in? Is it east or west of Kingsley?

Maria..which side of Shadow Creek do you live in? Is it east or west of Kingsley?

I was about to ask the same question. It seems a logical theory that the odor fades the further east into SCR that you are. Perhaps we can gather enough ancedotal reports here to decide if Kingsley is indeed a boundary, for a 'normal' garbage-day at least.

I live in the wettest part of Shadow Creek Ranch on Pelican Shores. We are very close to Almeda and Shadow Creek parkway intersection. You know it does not meter actually, if it is a west or east part of Kingsley. I smell this odor even in our mall (very east) on the other side of 288 across from Shadow Creek Ranch. Even in the Mall the odor could be very-very strong. The mall is 2-3 miles east from us.

It is actually hard to believe that people can breathe air that smell so bad and live in such places for years. I live in Shadow Creek Ranch for just 4 month and hate the fact that I was fooled around by people how sold the house to me. They should not at all sell houses here. I am very afraid that this smell could be poisoning.

I live in the wettest part of Shadow Creek Ranch on Pelican Shores. We are very close to Almeda and Shadow Creek parkway intersection. You know it does not meter actually, if it is a west or east part of Kingsley. I smell this odor even in our mall (very east) on the other side of 288 across from Shadow Creek Ranch. Even in the Mall the odor could be very-very strong. The mall is 2-3 miles east from us.

It is actually hard to believe that people can breathe air that smell so bad and live in such places for years. I live in Shadow Creek Ranch for just 4 month and hate the fact that I was fooled around by people how sold the house to me. They should not at all sell houses here. I am very afraid that this smell could be poisoning.

Well, Pelican Shores is on the far west side, in the Fort Bend County part of SCR. I see why the odor is so strong for you.

I smell this odor even in our mall (very east) on the other side of 288 across from Shadow Creek Ranch. Even in the Mall the odor could be very-very strong. The mall is 2-3 miles east from us.

Perhaps you were smelling something else. Store garbage bins often produce strong smells in their immediate area.

It's highly unlikely that the odor would be present at such a great distance from the source, across a bustling highway, in such a large concentration.

But you may be right. Either Pearland Township or the SCR HOA ought to invest in accurately measuring the odor, so it can be properly addressed.

I live on the far east side of SCR, just east of Kirby, and in the two years I have lived here I have never smelled even the faintest hint of the landfill. I have spent some time riding my bike around SCR, as well as some time at the pool on the west side with the water park, and even then I didn't smell anything. Might have just been the particular days that I was over that way...

Here's another data point: We live in Creekside Meadow, which is west of Kingsley just across from the Laura Ingalls Wilder School. We've never smelled any landfill odors here.

What I have smelled occasionally is a sewage odor, which for me (coming originally from another part of Texas) seems endemic to most of the swampy Houston area. If it doesn't rain, storm sewers don't clear out thoroughly and the flood-control channel (aka Creekside Meadow's "creek") gets just a little stagnant. That's great for the waterfowl, and I don't really mind. At least we don't have the open ditches in front of the house like I've seen in many Inner Loop neighborhoods! :D

Remember this ____ happens! I live in east Pearland at Dixie Farm Road and 518. Our neighborhood (Oakbrook) one of the first built on Dixie Farm Road about 16 years ago. As a result we had a sewer pumpimg station in our neighborhood. Since the further expansion of the area the City of Pearland built a massive lift station right next to the Chevron at the corner of Dixie Farm and 518 and removed the one from our neighborhood. On any given day depending on the direction of the wind you get that sewer smell at Wal Mart, Home Depot, Jack in the Box, or at the Chevron. It's a fact of life that when hundreds of houses are built in an area sewer lines are connected and it has to go somewhere. The presence of a smell does not mean the area is unlivable it just means life goes on.

Any of the smells mentioned in earlier posts could just be randomly generated by a heavy morning or evening load.

I live in Regents Glen just off of Kingsley (across the street from Laura Ingalls Elem. School) and very rairly notice a smell. If I do, it's usually first thing in the morning and it's gone within a couple of hours. I've also biked and run across a lot of SCR and haven't really noticed any major odor problems. Sometimes I get an strange smell off the lakes, but it may just be standing water.

Any time you smell a garbage odor complain with the TCEQ

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/compliance/complaints/index.html

call us toll-free at 1-888-777-3186, or

e-mail us at cmplaint@tceq.state.tx.us

All letters I have rcvd in regards to this issue have made it clear to complain to the TCEQ so they can have a clear account of the actual problems. Not sure how effective it will be, but it is a start.

Edited by rem78
3 years in SCR with Zero smell issues. I'm close to 518 just west of Kirby (Heron Bay). Of course I understand there are people more sensitive to smell than others.

I've lived in Silver Leaf Glen subdivision in SCR (west of Kingsley) for almost 2 years and I have not smelled anything odd.