Sugar Land's Best Master Planned Communities

noodlemonger

Hello forum members. Please help me sort out some info on Sugar Land's master planned communities.

My wife, daughter, and I live in the Museum District. In order to get a larger place in a good public school district, we'll probably move out of the loop in 1-2 years. I'll continue to work in the med center.

As I'm not too familiar with the area, I've finding it difficult to distinguish between all the master planned communities in Sugar Land.

Specifically . . .

(1) Which ones offer a relatively closer commute to the med center, either by access to 59 or Westpark Tollway or a Park and Ride?

(2) Which ones are zoned to good public school districts?

(3) Are any close to Sugar Land Town Square, as in walking distance?

Thanks for any replies!

Hello forum members. Please help me sort out some info on Sugar Land's master planned communities.

My wife, daughter, and I live in the Museum District. In order to get a larger place in a good public school district, we'll probably move out of the loop in 1-2 years. I'll continue to work in the med center.

As I'm not too familiar with the area, I've finding it difficult to distinguish between all the master planned communities in Sugar Land.

Specifically . . .

(1) Which ones offer a relatively closer commute to the med center, either by access to 59 or Westpark Tollway or a Park and Ride?

(2) Which ones are zoned to good public school districts?

(3) Are any close to Sugar Land Town Square, as in walking distance?

Thanks for any replies!

The closest, nicest MPC to the Med Center would be Sienna Plantation. It is very nice but a good 5-7 miles from Sugar Land Town Square. The FBISD school ratings decline as you go east from 59.

Meanwhile, Sugar Land Town Square is in First Colony. First Colony is huge and is zoned to 3 separate high schools, you could live anywhere around Hwy 6 and 59 and be in First Colony. You'd have to look at the school ratings to pick a location. First Colony is also very nice and more mature than surrounding areas.

The new Telfair MPC is a good place to look, it's W of Hwy 6 and 59. It's brand new, would eventually be zoned to a new high school, and has a great location. It's pricey but that's what you pay for location in this area.

There are also a few others, Riverstone, Commonwealth, Lake Olympia, Sweetwater, etc that you could look into.

What is your price range? Do you want to be close to retail?

Also, there really aren't any neighborhoods within walking distance of Sugar Land Town Square. There are condos in Town Square and they will have a high rise condo as well, but no single family homes.

I just bought a house in Sienna Plantation after a lot of research. My wife and I are going to have a baby. Like you I live near downtown (Midtown) at the moment and was looking for a place in the suburbs to raise a family with a decent comute in to town.

If you work in the med center it is literally 20 minutes from Sienna to the med center ( I timed it ) when there is no traffic. I have made the drive when I get off work at 6 PM and it takes 45 minutes.

I have lived my whole life in the city and considered myself a non suburban type but I really like it out in Sienna. Plus I hear the tollway will eventually build another stop that will go to the back part of Sienna which would cut the drive time to the med center even more. The toll way is key here as it is pretty new and a straight shot to the medical center / dome area. Not crowded even at 6 PM on a weekday.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into those communities.

Our price range is about $250-300K. Yes, we'd like to be close to retail. And I'd like to find a place where the trees are already mature enough to provide some shade.

With that info, you'd probably be better off in First Colony within 1-2 miles of Hwy 6 and 59. This is where the vast majority of retail is and will be for a long time (upcoming Whole Foods store at Lake Pointe). This is also where the older homes are that have mature trees. You don't find native trees in this part of town since it used to all be farmland. Any mature trees you find will have been planted when the home was built. If you go to a newer area, you'll have to wait for tree growth.

Another great area is Sugar Creek. It's two exits before Hwy 6 off of 59 heading away from Houston. It has beautiful, large custom homes, large trees, and a country club with golf course. Keep in mind though that most of the residents are older as they've lived there for 30 years.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the area.

I honestly think First Colony is the most convenient. Obviously, not an option if you want to build. Mature trees, homes are not quite as cookie cutter, and awesome shopping access. It's the most convenient to both the Sugar Land towncenter/mall area, all the commercial along 6, and Missouri City's Riverstone shopping area (we go here more so than anywhere else, really). I am not sure how long it would take to get to the med center, but I get to and from the Galleria area in 35-40 minutes during peak rush hour (much of that is dealing with traffic on 610 and not on 59). The only problem is finding a house for sale. Took us awhile to find one we liked. The good ones that go on the market sell FAST.

We shopped around a lot before choosing First Colony this past fall. New Territory and Greatwood are very nice, but seemed too far out and we did not want to wait a few years for the freeway expansion to complete. Sienna just seems like it's out in the middle of nowhere. Gotta drive 4-8 miles to get to certain shopping or restaurants, and the Ft Bend toll road is almost a requirement vs using 59.

I also live in Sienna, and highly recommend it. The Fort Bend Tollway is a direct shot from Sienna to the Medical Center. As for retail - there's LOTS under construction right now. Mature trees? Sienna has TONS - and has done a great job at preserving as many as possible.

We have two kids (5 and 2), so the extra amenities really tipped the scale for us. Have you seen the Sienna water park? My kids LOVE it!

cs_full_1.jpg

Sienna also has two other neighborhhood pools that are very nice - one of which is geared towards younger kids.

Frog_28.thumb.jpg

In the most recent developers update - plans were introduced for the 4th pool - a very nice resort style pool with waterfalls, slides, etc. In addition to the pools, Sienna also has the Brushy Lake Fitness center. It's a complete fitness center that's free to homeowners.

BrushyLake_5.thumb.jpg

equipment_13wide.thumb.jpg

jazzercise_9.thumb.jpg

Also, the new Camp Sienna sports complex (softball and socker fields, playgrouds, trails) just opened recently.

complex1.jpg

Check out the Sienna Photo Album for more pictures: http://www.siennaplantation.com/gallery/al...albumListPage=1

Not impressed, just looked at the website, all the photos show only "whites" living there.

And yes, they have the whole "grandpa and grandchild" fishing in the pictureeque lake.

We all know grandpa is too tired to go out into the heat and the kid would rather place with his Nintendo DS.

Such lies they make.

No middle easterns, blacks, asians, mexicans. . . nothing.

The only black person I saw in Sienna Plantation was singing in the Ampitheater.

Sounds like a snobby place to me.

Not impressed, just looked at the website, all the photos show only "whites" living there.

And yes, they have the whole "grandpa and grandchild" fishing in the pictureeque lake.

We all know grandpa is too tired to go out into the heat and the kid would rather place with his Nintendo DS.

Such lies they make.

The only black person I saw in Sienna Plantation was singing in the Ampitheater.

http://www.siennaplantation.com/albums/lif.../06_G.sized.jpg

:closedeyes: lol

Sienna Plantation's waterpark looks like one in Katy Cinco ranch. Very nice. It is almost like a miniature Waterworld!

Such lies they make.

Well, there are many suburban communities in the Houston area that lack diversity. You sound surprised. Just the way it is.

OMG Pumapayam - A Negro!

Sometimes you make the most blindsided, ignorant statements. How about you go out to these communities and drive them before you judge them. You recommend Greatwood to the member asking, but it has hardly any retail, and is the most difficult neighborhood to get to the Medical Center from.

I would look at a couple of different options. Look at Barrington Place (old & established) & Glen Laurel/Gannoway Lakes (newly built but the developers left some of the trees in place) north of 59, east of Hwy 6. Also check out Sugar Mill (old & established) just south of that in "old" Sugar Land.

South of 59, but north of Hwy 6 I would recommend looking around Williams Trace/Lexington in the Sugar Lakes area. South of Hwy 6 I would look around Sweetwater/Alcorn. Any of these along Hwy 6, south of 59 give you the option of multiple ways to leave the neighborhood, have all the retail you'll ever need along Hwy 6/US 59, are all at least 10 years old with developed trees, and ALL have good schools K-12.

Most importantly, using www.har.com, you should be able to find something for under 300k easily in ALL these neighborhoods.

Good Luck.

Well, there are many suburban communities in the Houston area that lack diversity. You sound surprised. Just the way it is.

This goes both ways. There are many neighborhoods that are all Black, some that are all Asian, and we know that there are some all Hispanic neighborhoods in this town.

Diversity isn't for everyone obviously. I think there are many people of all colors/races/ethnicies/cultures/nationalities/sexual preferences/etc that feel most comfortable around other people similar to them. That's no crime is it?

This goes both ways. There are many neighborhoods that are all Black, some that are all Asian, and we know that there are some all Hispanic neighborhoods in this town.

Diversity isn't for everyone obviously. I think there are many people of all colors/races/ethnicies/cultures/nationalities/sexual preferences/etc that feel most comfortable around other people similar to them. That's no crime is it?

My point exactly. I couldn't have said it any better myself. That's just the way it is.

there are many communities that lack diversity. it is just surprising that you can go into a restaurant and all the patrons are caucasian esp in a city filled with minorities. for me personally, i prefer going to places were the crowd is mixed.

there are many communities that lack diversity. it is just surprising that you can go into a restaurant and all the patrons are caucasian esp in a city filled with minorities. for me personally, i prefer going to places were the crowd is mixed.

Me too. I prefer mixed crowd. I just returned to the Macaroni Grill the other day and noticed a very diverse crowd. I remember going there like 8 yrs ago and only seeing Caucasians. I do think the clubs are still socially segregated though.

Thanks for the replies, everybody. The mature trees at First Colony do appeal to me a lot. Living now in the museum district, we've grown used to having some shade.

Good thing you said that, noodlemonger, because I have been in SL for 17 years and have seen a wide array of what it's like around here. There are also a lot of recreational opportunities around here (parks, sports teams, pools, etc., etc.) and good schools around here, too (the three high schools in the First Colony area are Clements, Dulles and Elkins btw).

I just returned to the Macaroni Grill the other day and noticed a very diverse crowd. I remember going there like 8 yrs ago and only seeing Caucasians. I do think the clubs are still socially segregated though.

i didn't realize macaroni grill had any restaurants still. they all closed in houston because the food was so bad. epitome of mediocrity.

I prefer to eat and live around white people like me. I feel more comfortable and safe.

i can recommend a good restaurant in seabrook too. ;) KKK meets there occasionally.

There are still restaurants on Westheimer and at Willowbrook.

it's like applebee's returning to houston. food is mediocre. a friend had a visitor here from FL and that is where she wanted to eat. i guess the chain is popular there. i refused and took her to some real restaurants and she thanked me afterwards!

i can recommend a good restaurant in seabrook too. ;) KKK meets there occasionally.

it's like applebee's returning to houston. food is mediocre. a friend had a visitor here from FL and that is where she wanted to eat. i guess the chain is popular there. i refused and took her to some real restaurants and she thanked me afterwards!

I doubt I would prefer to eat around anyone like you.

I wondered if this double standard was gonna pop up! sorry for the social experiment, I couldn't resist any longer. truth is I think diversity is a good thing, I just wanted to know if it sounded different reading the post from a white guy's perspective versus the numerous posts on this forum from other races seeking there own so called "comfort" around their own races when looking for housing or dining or clubs.

I wondered if this double standard was gonna pop up! sorry for the social experiment, I couldn't resist any longer. truth is I think diversity is a good thing, I just wanted to know if it sounded different reading the post from a white guy's perspective versus the numerous posts on this forum from other races seeking there own so called "comfort" around their own races when looking for housing or dining or clubs.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this was a social experiment. I do believe there is a degree of double standard out there as well. However, if you replaced your words with "black" instead of "white," I still would've thought it small minded and ignorant. I probably would've been hesitant to reply though.

i didn't realize macaroni grill had any restaurants still. they all closed in houston because the food was so bad. epitome of mediocrity.

Westheimer and Augusta near that old "badly renovation needed" public library!

Of all the years i lived in Houston, i never ate at Applebees. Two weeks ago, i go on a trip to Port Arthur and i ate for the first time at Applebees. Food is mediocre and they do have a smoking section still.

My point exactly. I couldn't have said it any better myself. That's just the way it is.

Funny, I live in a planned community in Sugar Land and I see diversity everywhere I look--on my own street, walking or driving throughout the neighborhood, and shopping or dining in Sugar Land or throughout metro Houston. I'm white. My neighbors on one side are black, Indian on the other. There are two young African American families and one Asian family with teens across the street, a mixed race couple behind us, a white retired couple kitty-corner across the street. A white European woman and her white American husband down the street, a white couple across from them, a South African guy next to them, a Latino couple around the corner, etc. etc. Our daughter's school (also in Sugar Land) is no different. I see kids of every ethnicity, and diverse teachers, too. But thing is, except for the subject being brought up by people like some of those posting here, it's not something I really think about too much. And it's great to think that my daughter is growing up in a community where she won't have to think about it much either.

I prefer to eat and live around white people like me. I feel more comfortable and safe.

U silly goose :lol::lol:

I prefer to eat at home with my family. I eat out all the time when im traveling, so home cooked meals are best with my family and friends ;)

As for First Colony, hows the HOA there? Have heard some mixed things over the years.

Funny, I live in a planned community in Sugar Land and I see diversity everywhere I look--on my own street, walking or driving throughout the neighborhood, and shopping or dining in Sugar Land or throughout metro Houston. I'm white. My neighbors on one side are black, Indian on the other. There are two young African American families and one Asian family with teens across the street, a mixed race couple behind us, a white retired couple kitty-corner across the street. A white European woman and her white American husband down the street, a white couple across from them, a South African guy next to them, a Latino couple around the corner, etc. etc. Our daughter's school (also in Sugar Land) is no different. I see kids of every ethnicity, and diverse teachers, too. But thing is, except for the subject being brought up by people like some of those posting here, it's not something I really think about too much. And it's great to think that my daughter is growing up in a community where she won't have to think about it much either.

Here here! This is one of the main reasons I live in the Sugar Land area as well. There aren't many places you can find affluent diversity. It's what makes Sugar Land the 3rd best place to live in America!

Here here! This is one of the main reasons I live in the Sugar Land area as well. There aren't many places you can find affluent diversity. It's what makes Sugar Land the 3rd best place to live in America!

that's great. the stat concerning the golf courses surprises me. Public golf courses (within 30 miles) sugarland has 51 while the best places average is 74.

Archived