French drain experts

I'm in the process of getting bids on two french drain lines on the East and West sides of my home. I was hoping that some of you might recommend a company that you had a good experience with.

Thanks in advance.

I think the people that installed my pool, also put in the french drains. I will look at the pool papaerwork and get you the name of the compnay tonight. Remind me.

Unfortunately, I have no one to recommend. However, I suggest contacting a landscaper. French drains are exceedingly easy to construct. Even if the landscaper is not well versed in French drains, if you research it on the web (there are hundreds of sites), you can explain to them how to dig it and construct it.

Unfortunately, I have no one to recommend. However, I suggest contacting a landscaper. French drains are exceedingly easy to construct. Even if the landscaper is not well versed in French drains, if you research it on the web (there are hundreds of sites), you can explain to them how to dig it and construct it.

I've actually done quite a bit of research, and thought about doing it myself. The problem I'm running into is not getting a straight answer on pop up emitters. My yard is almost 5000 sq feet and both drain lines (if run to curb) will be 100' plus, so I'm trying to avoid that by going with the pop up emmiters.

I've had several web sites that say to stay away from them as the top usually floats away with a heavy rain, then others that state the opposite. If I use them, I can cut my drain line length in half which obviously cuts cost way down, and then I might decide to do it myself.

Thanks anyway.

I've actually done quite a bit of research, and thought about doing it myself. The problem I'm running into is not getting a straight answer on pop up emitters. My yard is almost 5000 sq feet and both drain lines (if run to curb) will be 100' plus, so I'm trying to avoid that by going with the pop up emmiters.

I've had several web sites that say to stay away from them as the top usually floats away with a heavy rain, then others that state the opposite. If I use them, I can cut my drain line length in half which obviously cuts cost way down, and then I might decide to do it myself.

Thanks anyway.

i'll bet with your research you'll know more about popup emitters than the installers. i think your biggest factor for success will be whether you have the necessary slope between where the water enters and exits at the emitters. another large factor will be the amount of water you are trying to remove. if you're talking a large volume, them i'll bet the emitters will choke the system and result in the water backing up. i had to design a system for my yard. if you get someone to dig the trench, then they'll probably charge you the same thing for 100 ft and for 50 ft since they'll probably using a ditch witch. i ended up paying for someone to dig and installed the pipe myself and i'll bet my total for 125" was 400 or so. i remember 1 bid for $10/linear ft which would be 1250.

Good Afternoon All,

Seeking ideas, suggestions, comments, or experiences with the following

The side of my home where the AC unit sits builds up a water puddle also when it rains my dog always tend

to go that path which is made up of dirt .

Would this require a french drain ?

What if I just lay 4 inches thick of some loose gravel ? To avoid walking in puddles of mud ?

Thank You

Good Afternoon All,

Seeking ideas, suggestions, comments, or experiences with the following

The side of my home where the AC unit sits builds up a water puddle also when it rains my dog always tend

to go that path which is made up of dirt .

Would this require a french drain ?

What if I just lay 4 inches thick of some loose gravel ? To avoid walking in puddles of mud ?

Thank You

not sure if it would require a french drain but that is an option. are you able to add/change the slope the area fairly easy by just adding/removing dirt?

i hope your ac unit isn't sitting in the water. i would consider raising it if it is.

Good Morning ,

thank you for the reply !

The AC unit is on a concrete slab

Also along that pathway is all dirt and looks easy to adjust to a slope but would that work ?

Also all along my house I do have gutters but when it rains there is some puddles and becomes very muddy

along that pathway ?

Do you think if I create a slope with the dirt or maybe add the loose gravel to walk on will work ?

Thank You

Also along that pathway is all dirt and looks easy to adjust to a slope but would that work ?

Also all along my house I do have gutters but when it rains there is some puddles and becomes very muddy

along that pathway ?

Do you think if I create a slope with the dirt or maybe add the loose gravel to walk on will work ?

Thank You

it might be just as easy as adjusting the slope to eliminate your puddling situation. once it stays drier, hopefully the grass will grow back. you might also add something to your gutter downspouts so that the water drains away from the areas that puddle.

just make sure that if you do change the slope that you don't create problems that you didn't have.

• 1 year later...
it might be just as easy as adjusting the slope to eliminate your puddling situation. once it stays drier, hopefully the grass will grow back. you might also add something to your gutter downspouts so that the water drains away from the areas that puddle.

just make sure that if you do change the slope that you don't create problems that you didn't have.

We had big flood/ standing water issues with a sinking back patio & a dog who dug holes near the foundation & rearranged the grade. We had a new patio slab poured & a yard regrade w/ french drains installed by a landscape architect. WOW, it works so good now. The pop-up on the front curb doesn't get washed away, it always is just sitting there, waiting for me to put it back on.

ok this may be insulting...but why a french drain? Gravel, holes in the pvc?? I have put drains then run 4 in regular PVC all the way to the front with a outlet. As long as the exit is higher than entry no problem. I used day laborers on the last one. 2 guys 8$/hr, 2 hrs. 50 foot run. This will remove water without all the other drama.

Insulting? Not at all, I just went with a landscape architect who had a trained eye, who could work on all issues at once. I had piping laid under patio for hottub wiring, had landscaping design work included, had patio (covering) work done, as well. Wanted someone who could do it all, and pull it all together...I even had him design my patio with rounded edges, with flowerbeds shaped to complement the flow of the patio. He really took the time to figure it all out. It was interesting seeing how he worked...As far as to the different drain types, I'm not familiar with them all, just know mine works very well in heavy rain. So I guess it depends on functionality & cost more than type, if it works well & carries the water away from the foundation, than it's good.

• 4 months later...
We had big flood/ standing water issues with a sinking back patio & a dog who dug holes near the foundation & rearranged the grade. We had a new patio slab poured & a yard regrade w/ french drains installed by a landscape architect. WOW, it works so good now. The pop-up on the front curb doesn't get washed away, it always is just sitting there, waiting for me to put it back on.

Would you have a cost for this work/?

I believe the dog dug the holes for free. I know mine do.

+1

But he never puts them where I tell him to, must be a language barrier.

I have drainage issues as well in my back yard and have been looking into french drains. The previous owner installed a half French drain, Romanian drain? They basically dug a trench, lined it with landscape cloth, and filled it with rocks. Needless to say, it doesn't exactly drain. From observing, it looks like a lot of my water is pooling near the downspout and runs into my yard form the neighbor's yard from underneath the fence. I am planning on trying the KISS approach before trying to put in a french drain. I am thinking it won't be too difficult to block off the flow from the neighbors yard and to divert the flow from the downspout further away from the low spots.

Archived