Jump to content


Full Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by redraider

  1. Both of my Grandfather's owned garages in the 30's and 40's at the corner of Main and Lealand.
  2. Your right, prison life is sad. To bad more people don't realize that until it is too late and they end-up there.
  3. Why did you find it sad? Do you find the HSLR sad too? Here is a nice piece on the Prison Rodeo. http://media.www.houstonianonline.com/media/storage/paper229/news/2005/04/26/Huntsville/Prison.Rodeo.Gone.But.Not.Forgotten-937824.shtml
  4. You are correct, it was Victoria Station. It has been a long time and I could not remember the exact name.
  5. I yes I remember he was going to use them for a hotel right accross the street from the Astrodome. I think a few of the cars were used just down the street for a Steak and Ale resturant.
  6. I grew up in the Meyerland area and there was a Sage at 610 and Bisonett accross from Meyerland where the Home Depot now sits. I always liked Sage and I bought my first 8 Track stero system there in the 70's. I never cared to much for Globe.
  7. That could be also true but I do know at 1960 and Hwy 149 it was also called "Wolf Corner" and I remember seeing them hanging there as a kid.
  8. 2001 law suite against the City of Houston filed by Piotrowski. http://www.romingerlegal.com/fifthcircuit/...32.cv0.wpd.html
  9. I remeber as kid around 1968 driving down 1960 with my folks going to Spring Creek park by Tomball. I think the corner of 1960 and 249 was called wolf corner and I remember seeing dead wolf's hanging from the fence.
  10. I was a Redraider from 1970 to 1973. Learned allot under Coach Fowler, made great friends that lasted through high school and it prepaired me for the next leval of football.
  11. I ran track and played football at Johnston. Walker coached track and 7 grade football during my 7th and 8th grade year and he then went to Wheatly to coach track. He was the best coach I ever had. I won district and city in the 100 and 440 relay under Coach Walker while at Johnston. I also played 2 years of football for Coach Ahr and Coach Johnson. Coach Ahr was a little wierd but Coach Johnson was great. Coach Fisher coached the Varsity basketball team and I think he is the Principle at Foneville now. Then there was coach Tucker. Coach Macy came along my 9th grade and was a total jerk which was a big reason why I quite track right after I won district. I had to for go going to the city track meet but it was worth it.
  12. My Grandmother was the Parts Manager for Ivey Russell Motors for 30+ years when they were at the original location on Main and then they move to Milam and the named changed to Russell/Smith. She would take me to Sears for lunch from time to time. She retired just before they moved again to the current location at 610.
  13. Both of my Grandfathers owned garauges in down town durning the 30's and 40's almost right next to each other on Main and McKenny. The names were Grantham Tires and Purnell Auto Repair. I have a few pictures I post in the next week.
  14. I grew-up on O'meara just off W. Belfort and everybody on one side of W. Befort went to madison while the other side went to Bellaire. You drove almost by Westbury to get to Madison. Lucky for me I was able to go under the radar and go to Westbury.
  15. Does anybody remember the Tiki Room ( I think that was the name) on S. Main just down from Sonny Looks?
  16. Greg Kite went to Pershing Jr. High so he either would have been zoned to Belaire or Lamar but his parents moved so he could play at Madison for what ever reason.
  17. I got my letter too for 30 year reunion! I can't believe it has been 30 years!
  18. My little sister was probably in your class at Red Steve. She was in Jana Watkin's class who was one of the little girls killed that day. It freaked my mom out because my little sister's name is Jana too.
  19. He may not get out as planned. I heard he put a hit out on the judge and time has been added to his sentance. I have been trying to find more information on this.
  20. There use to be a 7-11 at the Corner of Willowbend and S. Post Oak, it is now Popye's Chicken.
  21. Does anybody remember this? My little sister was at Red at the time and I was at Johnston. Mass killer counts down to freedom /Survivor painfully recalls '73 rampageHouston - Karen Kurtz's scarred right leg begins to ache every afternoon, and she has to use a cane to get around, every painful step a reminder of her brush with Houston's first mass murderer. She was walking home from Red Elementary School on a spring morning 25 years ago when Larry Delon Casey, angry following an argument with his girlfriend, drove intersection to intersection gunning down little girls with a .22-caliber rifle. After fatally shooting an elderly woman on that day in April 1973, he killed two schoolgirls and injured Kurtz and another girl. Two months earlier, he'd killed a convenience store clerk. Despite Casey's notoriety - Harris County prosecutor Bert Graham calls him Houston's "original" mass murderer - few Houstonians nowadays are familiar with his name. That probably is because the horror of his 1973 shooting rampage in southwest Houston was eclipsed just four months after it happened, when the entire nation learned how Dean Corll and two young accomplices had killed dozens of teen-age runaways here. But Kurtz, now 35 and living far from Houston, remembers Casey. In a recent interview - after insisting that her new address or married name not be published for fear the killer might find her someday - she recalled how the slug that shattered her right leg also shattered her life. "I've dealt with 25 years of leg problems because of him," she said. For Kurtz, the Casey shootings didn't fade away with the next Page 1 crime. Every few years, she gets a postal reminder that the stranger who shot her is alive, standard notices from the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles that he is being considered for parole. The last letter she got on the subject arrived in mid-July, and sometime this month the board likely will make a decision about freeing Casey. Kurtz and Graham, who convinced a jury to sentence him to 99 years in prison, both expect the board to reject him for the fourth time in a decade. That is not what concerns them. Thanks to a pristine prison record and a lot of 3 -for-1 "good-time credit," Casey, 48, knows he must be freed on a mandatory release on Feb. 19, 2006. He will have no parole officer watching him, no letters warning his new neighbors about him, no legal limitations on him whatsoever beyond the rules all Texans face daily. Larry Casey does not look like a murderer. Gone is the cocky, smirking expression he displayed when Houston homicide detectives brought him downtown. "I guess I went out of my head for 15 to 20 minutes," he told a Chronicle reporter at the police station that day. "I just flew off the handle." Today, watching Casey interact with other prisoners and guards at the prison system's Wynne Unit outside Huntsville, he comes across as a pleasant, schoolteacher-ish sort of guy. He received a bachelor's degree from Sam Houston State University in 1988, and it shows in the way he talks. He is fully aware he would have been sent to death row but for a fortuitous twist of legal timing. At the time of the shootings, the U.S. Supreme Court had ruled the Texas capital murder law invalid. A revision of the law went into effect two months after the girls were shot. If he committed his crimes today, prosecutors could seek the death penalty under several statutes - killing children under age 6, committing multiple murders and, in an unrelated offense, executing a 7-Eleven clerk during an $80 robbery. As Casey describes it, he was fresh out of the Army after two years in Germany as a radar operator, and he had "quite a chip on my shoulder" when he returned to Houston. By then, he had been accused of numerous minor crimes - theft, burglary, possession of marijuana, pretending to be a policeman, drunken driving, shooting up a mobile home and more. But the potential to hurt somebody was always present, he said, because he usually was armed. He said this was because his father, Theron Casey, 53, had been murdered by two junkies in New York City, a crime Larry Casey blames on his father's giving a Brazoria County man nine hot checks to cover gambling losses. Whatever the reason, Larry Casey had a pistol on Feb. 21, 1973, when he and his girlfriend, Yvonne Ellis, were at a 7-Eleven on Burdine Street. Casey said they got into a dispute with the clerk, Dorothy Jones Young, 48, about selling beer after hours, a fuss that Casey ended by shooting her three times. In an interview, he described it as a simple method of ending a problem. "If there would have been the death penalty when I was in the 7-Eleven arguing with the manager, I never would've pulled the gun," Casey said. "But I knew there wasn't any death penalty, and I figured I could get away with it because there weren't any witnesses around." In his confession, Casey did not mention that his girlfriend was there. He said he shot Young "because I thought she was reaching for a gun." That killing became just another unsolved Houston crime until the Red Elementary shootings two months later. According to Casey, he and Ellis - who he says visited him in prison just once, several years ago - were both hard-drinking pot smokers who supported themselves with a Houston Post delivery route. Both were on probation on April 18, 1973, and Ellis was increasingly unhappy that Casey was drinking while driving, fearing he would get her in trouble for violating probation. "Yvonne was mad at me about drinking and driving and wanted out of the car," his confession says. "She got out at the intersection of Bissonnet and Chimney Rock." His confession says he was mad and went to fetch his mother's .22-caliber rifle. "I left the house and drove across Willowbend and into the neighborhood," it reads. "I was near where my little brother (went) to school." The confession says he shot a woman standing in front of her house. But in the interview, he described how Beulah Davis saw him stop near her home and came over and saw weapons in the vehicle. She may have gotten a good look at Casey's license plate. "I felt threatened by her," he explained. "I'd just been put on probation, and I figured she'd call the law." So he shot her in the back. The confession jumps from that to his spotting a child riding a bicycle in a driveway 75 yards away. One shot and the child fell down. "I do not remember shooting at anyone else," the confession says. Prosecutor Graham has not forgotten the rest. After shooting Claire Jakubowski, 5, off her bicycle in the driveway at 10423 Green Willow, Casey drove two blocks and wounded Lynn Jean Tucker, 10, with a shot to the back as she walked home in the 10600 block of Willowilde. Next was Jana Whatley, 10, fatally shot through both lungs as she walked home in the 4700 block of Kinglet. Last was Karen Kurtz, 10, walking with her younger sister near Cliffwood and Stillbrooke. "I was on the street corner waiting for (Casey's) car to go by," Kurtz said. "I looked straight at him." Casey was arrested almost immediately, after he returned to the shooting scenes with Ellis and his little brother. Police had scant trouble getting a confession since Casey freely admitted to killing the 86-year-old and the 5-year-old girl, contending that he did not remember the others. Nowadays, he said, he does remember them. But he said the actual shooter was a man called "Rooster." Casey insisted he did not tell the police about Rooster to avoid being "a snitch." Kurtz, however, said no one else was in Casey's car when she was shot, and a man from the neighborhood positively identified Casey as the car's sole occupant. Graham argued that Casey alone did it, and that is what the jury believed. Casey's version of the events, it seems, has evolved over the years, polished perhaps to make it more palatable to his cellmates and others in a penal environment where tattletales are not popular. Though he somehow still blames Graham's "twisted lies" for the conviction that he set up himself with his confession, Casey now calls his prosecution reasonable. "I don't have a problem with them prosecuting me for the murders," Casey said. "If one of my family members had been shot, I'd want them to do what they did and what they're still doing. I just don't agree with why they're doing it. They're just getting revenge." Graham said Casey should be jailed forever simply because anyone who could get mad at his girlfriend and then go shoot up schoolgirls he did not even know remains too dangerous to be released.
  22. I would not be surprised if we crossed paths. I played on the varsity football team in 8th and 9th grade and we won district my 9th grade year. I also played football at Westbury my soph. year and then joined the rodeo team. I use to ride over at Circle 8 arena and at Simington. We spent Friday nights at Fairchilds and the Poney Express Club drinking, dancing and playing pool. You said you were in the band, did you know Dave Eichburger when you were at Johnston?
  23. I ran track at Johnston, was the fasted in the 100 and was on the 440 Relay as well which won district every year I was on it. I quite track in the 9th grade after we won district and quailified for reginials because of Macy. He was such an ass. I remember Jeff CURREN AS WELL.
  • Create New...