Houston mayor's race 2009

lockmat

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/6241623.html

Annise Parker announces candidacy for mayor of Houston.

I'm stunned! Nobody expected this. ^_^

All kidding aside, I like Annise for Mayor. People are going to make an issue of her being a lesbian - against her for it and celebrating her for it. We have a huge enterprise in the City of Houston. (A $2 billion + budget). She has the background to manage that. Jones School MBA, City Controller, yada-yada. She's very qualified.

If anyone likes the other candidates, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. (Oh, "because Ben Hall might not be a lesbian" is not the input that I, personally, am looking for). :D

(Oh, "because Ben Hall might not be a lesbian" is not the input that I, personally, am looking for). :D

Oh, he might be. Lesbians like women, correct? If Ben Hall likes women, my flawed logic concludes that he is a lesbian, albeit a MALE lesbian. Damn I'm crazy. :P

Let's convince Bill White to give up on this Senate suicide mission and stay on as Mayor.

As for, Sheila Jacckson Lee. . .as much as I hate to agree with MidtownCoog, I have to because he is right with regard to the congress womans short/nonexistent list of accomplishments. The standard for which we judge our congressmen and women by has historically been the number of bills they write AND get passed into actual legislation. She has offered up lots of amendments to bills written by others, and a vast majority of whatever she offers hasn't received one single co-sponsor. She doesn't appear to be very effective, in my opinion. Mostly hot air. On the flip side, though, I guess one could look at all of her activity, and come away with the impression that she is doing something with her time, by the sheer number of amendments, rules, and other proposed legislation she's either offered, or co-sponsored. Don't take my word for it though. Check it out for yourself, here.

SJL is not even worth discussing. She thinks that the astronauts have walked on Mars and planted a flag there. She thinks hurricanes should have blacker names.

And then there were three...unless Outlaw Josey Wales IV runs again :rolleyes: .

Ben hall has declined to run for Mayor. He was supposed to announce the day before Parker, but backed off when he got a call from Gene Locke, whom he now apparently is backing.

Story in the Houston Chronicle

Former City Attorney Benjamin Hall III backed away today from running for Houston mayor and endorsed another former city attorney, Gene Locke, for the office that Bill White must vacate next year because of term limits.

Hall and Locke announced the move in person with U.S. Rep. Al Green, who said he had been "a facilitator" in talks between the pair.

• 2 months later...
Anyone know if this is Peter Brown's house...in Humble? HCAD link

According to wikipedia, his middle name starts with an H. There are no other Peter Brown's with an H middle name.

According to his Voter Registration, he lives adjacent to the museum district. That jives with a recent Chronicle article about all the mayoral candidates residing close to the City's center. However, there is no HCAD record for that address. Hmmm...

EDIT: There is an HCAD record

Peter Brown lives in the West U/Southampton area, I think. He is married to the heir to the Schlumberger fortune.

I had a chance to hear Annise Parker's take on METRO, and while she is in favor of expanding rail transit, including eventual commuter rail, she is very clearly unhappy with the lack of transparancy and oversight, as well as the lack of transit expertise on METRO's board. She also doesn't trust their numbers, and said changes at METRO would be a priority. I found it telling that she used the words 'abdication of fiduciary responsibilty' when referring to the council members who keep giving METRO's plans and numbers a pass without proper review. She also spoke about the importance of infrastructure upkeep, and how it still will need to be a priority even in a budget-cutting environment.

My short take on the other candidates-- Brown seems to me a dilletante whom I wouldn't trust with the budget. And Gene Locke is one of METRO's attorneys.

I had a chance to hear Annise Parker's take on METRO

i was in one meeting recently where she was saying how main st has been harmed by the red line. she said businesses were harmed and she did not like how main st square cut off the road. someone asked her whether the future lines will have similar consequences and she dodged the question.

i was in one meeting recently where she was saying how main st has been harmed by the red line. she said businesses were harmed and she did not like how main st square cut off the road. someone asked her whether the future lines will have similar consequences and she dodged the question.

Maybe she's worried about appearing anti-rail? She's not, but I think she sees it as poorly executed, which I would agree it is. She needs to not dodge answers, though.

IMO she needs to be tough on Locke with regard to METRO, and on his former (I think only) city job. Remember, Locke was city attorney under Bob Lanier, not exactly a proponent of transit options. Many people still believe we would already have light rail, and probably commuter rail, had it not been for Bob Lanier (and Tom DeLay). Her downfall is that she's seen as a lightweight 'quality of life issues' candidate but I think she is tougher and more tactical than that, but needs to convince people of it. Of course, there are a lot of other issues at stake than just transit and growth. Should be an interesting race.

Maybe she's worried about appearing anti-rail? She's not, but I think she sees it as poorly executed, which I would agree it is. She needs to not dodge answers, though.

some of the future plans are just as poorly executed though which is why she shouldn't have.

IMO she needs to be tough on Locke with regard to METRO, and on his former (I think only) city job. Remember, Locke was city attorney under Bob Lanier
ex-mayor bob is definitely nearby too. :ph34r:

According to his Voter Registration, he lives adjacent to the museum district. That jives with a recent Chronicle article about all the mayoral candidates residing close to the City's center. However, there is no HCAD record for that address. Hmmm...

EDIT: There is an HCAD record

Peter Hoyt Brown's license(Public data) states that he lives at 2136 Kipling street.

There is no longer a house at 2136 Kipling(you can see it on Google Earth)...there are some condos being built in it's place.

Anne Schlumberger Brown lives at 10 Waverly Ct. She owns the empty grassy lot at 8 Waverly Ct.

It's interesting how only the empty lot appears when you first scan 'Waverly Ct' as a street without using a specific address. She is listed as Anne S Bohnn(maiden name) in HCAD. Once you click on the account number associated with the empty lot - it then displays the appraised values for lots 8, 8A, and 10.

I'm not sure if there is something fishy about this whole thing or not. :huh:

...And Fred Hofheinz lives on Waverly Ct. It's downright incestuous, I say! :lol:

Yeah, Hofheinz has his parked vehicle sticking out so visitors have a tough time turning around.

Typical controlling and asinine politician. <_<

Waverly Ct....probably the most deceitful cul-de-sac since Knots Landing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It must have been Annise's birthday yesterday. I heard the chorus of Happy Birthday by a large crowd, down the street, at 10:15pm. (She lives down the street from me.)

Happy Birthday Annise!

• 1 month later...

It looks like Gene Locke is setting up his campaign office at the former Obama Houston Headquarters at Milam and Alabama. I say this because the windows are plastered with Gene Locke signs and the Obama references gone, with the exception of his big head painted on the brick on the side of the building.

Sylvester Turner decides not to run (for the 3rd time) for mayor. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/6504498.html

Kathy Whitmire is not a lesbian. She was a widow while in office. She lived in Montrose (Hazard & Colquitt) though, and then in Woodland Heights (Bayland). The last I heard, she had remarried, has long blond hair and lives in Hawaii.

Wasn't Kathy Whitmire also a lesbian?

There is a lesbian running for Mayor... Annise Parker. She is currently leading in the polls. If she were to win she would become the first openly gay American to become Mayor of one of the 10 biggest cities in the Nation. Currently Portland, OR is the largest city with an openly gay mayor.

Will Houston Elect a Lesbian Mayor?

I think, with Kathy Whitmire, there was always speculation that she was gay. She supported the gay community and dressed like Dustin Hoffman in drag, as Tootsie (or Dustin dressed like her). There was also the close relationship she had with Clintine Cashion, who died of an asthma attack. What's wrong with a girl having a good GF?

I think, with Kathy Whitmire, there was always speculation that she was gay. She supported the gay community and dressed like Dustin Hoffman in drag, as Tootsie (or Dustin dressed like her). There was also the close relationship she had with Clintine Cashion, who died of an asthma attack. What's wrong with a girl having a good GF?

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Finance reports are in.

Campaign funds raised and cash on hand for Houston's four major mayoral candidates through June 30:

Gene Locke:
$1.15 million raised, $574,000 on hand

Annise Parker
• :
$810,000 raised, $602,000 on hand

Peter Brown
• :
$477,000 raised, $1.75 million on hand

Roy Morales
• : $18,000 raised, $9,000 on hand

Article in the Chron

went to a debate last week and gene locke sure had the best performance of the big three.

my favorite quote from one of the other candidates "the reason so many people are out of work is because unemployment is high"

Archived