Abandoned Shopping Carts?

I live off of 11th st in the greater Heights area and there are just an abundance of abandoned shopping carts on the block of 11th and Yale.

Is there anything a resident can do to get rid of these things and prevent them from accumulating again?

I've seen this in a lot of area's around the Heights and it is just a freakin' eye sore. My car is not big enough to haul these things away, otherwise I would have done it already...

What happened to the advanced search feature, I can't find jack any more.

There was a thread about this before. Some people complained, others told them if it bothers you to bring them back yourself. Fiesta rounds them up periodically, I think they have a truck that roams around. Kroger might not.

What happened to the advanced search feature, I can't find jack any more.

There was a thread about this before. Some people complained, others told them if it bothers you to bring them back yourself. Fiesta rounds them up periodically, I think they have a truck that roams around. Kroger might not.

I called Kroger one time and told them I was going to torch them into small pieces and sell them for scrap. They came right away to pick them up. Fiesta is pretty good about rounding thiers up, because they encourage their shoppers to take them to the bus stop, etc. Or, they used to.

My car is not big enough to haul these things away, otherwise I would have done it already...

I once hooked the lower front bar of a shopping cart over the ball on my truck's trailer hitch and just drove it to Fiesta -- pretty white trash, I know, but I had out-of-town guests coming and couldn't wait for the Fiesta Cart Patrol to come by.

Growing up in Canada all of our shopping carts were all locked to each other and the way to unlock them was to stick a quarter into the slot and that released the lock. You go about your merry way using the cart for groceries, then when you returned the cart out popped your quarter. This was good for a couple of reasons: one it kept many carts on site and those that happened to be taken offsite (way less of a problem than it is here in the US) were eagerly picked up and returned by local teens who wanted the quarters. Second reason, it did a fantastic job of keeping the carts from stacking up in the parking lots and being blown into cars. The carts were returned to those parking lot containment areas so there weren't any errant carts floating about in the area. Or if there were, see #1 above. It amazes me down here to see empty carts sitting 10 feet away from cart return stalls. I bet if there were a quarter in that cart the lazy folks would walk that 10 feet.

Growing up in Canada all of our shopping carts were all locked to each other and the way to unlock them was to stick a quarter into the slot and that released the lock. You go about your merry way using the cart for groceries, then when you returned the cart out popped your quarter. This was good for a couple of reasons: one it kept many carts on site and those that happened to be taken offsite (way less of a problem than it is here in the US) were eagerly picked up and returned by local teens who wanted the quarters. Second reason, it did a fantastic job of keeping the carts from stacking up in the parking lots and being blown into cars. The carts were returned to those parking lot containment areas so there weren't any errant carts floating about in the area. Or if there were, see #1 above. It amazes me down here to see empty carts sitting 10 feet away from cart return stalls. I bet if there were a quarter in that cart the lazy folks would walk that 10 feet.

Auchan off the west loop used to do the quarter slot thing before they closed. I've never before or after that seen anyone else do that in the US

I don't know about Houston, but the local H-E-B has installed something that will make the wheels lock when taken out of bounds.

And speaking of abandoned shopping carts....

There are some places around Houston that have the wheel locks. The Kroger on Westheimer just inside the beltway and the Target just outside the beltway both come to mind.

I live off of 11th st in the greater Heights area and there are just an abundance of abandoned shopping carts on the block of 11th and Yale.

Is there anything a resident can do to get rid of these things and prevent them from accumulating again?

I've seen this in a lot of area's around the Heights and it is just a freakin' eye sore. My car is not big enough to haul these things away, otherwise I would have done it already...

If the owner can be identified, call them. Don't try putting any unidentified carts out for heavy trash collection, though. We had one in our back yard when we bought our house. The previous owners owned a small store and left it there. The city wouldn't pick it up even though we were the owners now (as property abandoned by the previous owners). I finally hacked it apart and mixed it in with other debris to get rid of it.

I bet if there were a quarter in that cart the lazy folks would walk that 10 feet.

I work at a store...People push the carts RIGHT UP to the door and the door closes on the carts half the time. Walking 2 feet in the store would be to hard...After they wandered for 40 mins and stink up the restrooms :)

Auchan off the west loop used to do the quarter slot thing before they closed. I've never before or after that seen anyone else do that in the US

Auchan is the big French chain. They do quater slot thing in suburban France. Too bad they are not around in Houston anymore. Location on the West belt was always the worst, I thought.

BTW, I just saw 4 carts on Thompson near rail in Upper West End. Anyone want to come haul them away? :)

Auchan is the big French chain. They do quater slot thing in suburban France. Too bad they are not around in Houston anymore. Location on the West belt was always the worst, I thought.

BTW, I just saw 4 carts on Thompson near rail in Upper West End. Anyone want to come haul them away? :)

Yeah, I was disappointed to see them go. It was only a few months before they closed that I found out they were a French chain and tried some of their bakery stuff. They made a really good eclair.

• The title was changed to Abandoned Shopping Carts?

Archived