HAIF app for iphone?

I tried to search if anyone had brought this up before but didn't get anything. I know there is a twitter feed and facebook and RSS and all that for HAIF, but are there any developers out here that would consider doing a HAIF app for the iphone? Something that would run faster on the phone and still look attractive and have some of the same usability of the regular site. I personally have no idea how to program, but I think there are enough members on HAIF that have the iphone that would make having a HAIF application worth designing. Anyone else think the same?

Maybe we can figure something out here...

I tried to search if anyone had brought this up before but didn't get anything. I know there is a twitter feed and facebook and RSS and all that for HAIF, but are there any developers out here that would consider doing a HAIF app for the iphone? Something that would run faster on the phone and still look attractive and have some of the same usability of the regular site. I personally have no idea how to program, but I think there are enough members on HAIF that have the iphone that would make having a HAIF application worth designing. Anyone else think the same?

Maybe we can figure something out here...

I think HAIF:Now is the version created for mobile devices.

Puma is right -- I use HAIF:Now on the iPhone all the time.

HAIF:Weather has an iPhone version at http://iwx.houstonarchitecture.info/

As for a HAIF app for the forum, I've been holding off on that. The new version of the forum software (the one that was supposed to be out last October) is supposed to have a much more customizable output process. I'm hoping it will either come with an iPhone interface, or an easy way for me to make one.

So, the short answer is "no" there isn't currently an iPhone app for HAIF.

However I continue to keep my eye on it. When HAIF moves to the new software (any week now) I'll explore it in more depth.

The problem with developing a HAIF app for iPhone is that iPhone development requires a pretty extensive knowledge of Cocoa programming. I started working on an iPhone app for a while and there was a fairly steep learning curve. Unfortunately I had to put it on hold when I started my PhD. It's definitely much harder to learn than HTML.

I was unaware of the HAIF:Now feature until just now. It is simple to use, but definitely lacks the aesthetics of the original site.

The new software could be promising though, especially if it comes with an interface already or if one is easy to create like you said. If that is the case, let me know. I'm trying to learn how to program and would like to help out with something like this.

• 3 months later...
Puma is right -- I use HAIF:Now on the iPhone all the time.

HAIF:Weather has an iPhone version at http://iwx.houstonarchitecture.info/

As for a HAIF app for the forum, I've been holding off on that. The new version of the forum software (the one that was supposed to be out last October) is supposed to have a much more customizable output process. I'm hoping it will either come with an iPhone interface, or an easy way for me to make one.

So, the short answer is "no" there isn't currently an iPhone app for HAIF.

However I continue to keep my eye on it. When HAIF moves to the new software (any week now) I'll explore it in more depth.

Topic bump, what's the status of the new forum software?

• 8 months later...

I have a relatively new iPod touch (which is basically iPhone w/o the phone) and I was a bit disappointed because there's no HAIF app. Sure, I suppose I could type thehaif.com into Safari, but where's the fun in that? There needs to be an app for the iPhone that basically is a free app that takes you to the HAIF but optimized for HAIF performance (I find the mobile version of HAIF to limiting in a few ways). What say you?

I have a relatively new iPod touch (which is basically iPhone w/o the phone) and I was a bit disappointed because there's no HAIF app. Sure, I suppose I could type thehaif.com into Safari, but where's the fun in that? There needs to be an app for the iPhone that basically is a free app that takes you to the HAIF but optimized for HAIF performance (I find the mobile version of HAIF to limiting in a few ways). What say you?

The whole "Captain Obvious" iPod Touch explanation was unnecessary and HAIFy search is your best friend. ;)

Wayne has the iPhone OS SDK, but the forum software won't translate well from what he mentioned when I asked him the same thing, I will let him chime in if he wants too.

I do that too, but this site is so hard to navigate that way that I don't even bother. I still like the old forum better.

Patience.

Archived