Why Doesn't Galveston Take Better Care Of Their Beaches?

Wxman (and others), if you are interested in being part of the solution, instead of just complaining about the problem, the Texas General Land Office has an Adopt A Beach program, whereby you can actually HELP Galveston become a cleaner beach. There are also 2 organized beach cleanups per year, but I figured you would want to help out on a regular basis.

Here's the link for an application.

http://gotexas.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsit.../adoptinfo.html

I look forward to seeing you help improve a "craphole" into a Texas treasure.

You do want to help, don't you?

redneck_riviera.gif

Give me fast food joints and strip centers over historic houses any day.

I really do hate to have to post this, because I think you're essentially right...but I just started processing my photos from this weekend, and this was in there. I hadn't even noticed that it was in the shot because the subject was the regal Hotel Galvez. I don't mind Hooters being on the seawall, but...damn. Makes for quite a contrast.

haifgalvezandhootersus5.jpg

I really do hate to have to post this, because I think you're essentially right...but I just started processing my photos from this weekend, and this was in there. I hadn't even noticed that it was in the shot because the subject was the regal Hotel Galvez. I don't mind Hooters being on the seawall, but...damn. Makes for quite a contrast.

haifgalvezandhootersus5.jpg

[sigh] Looks like Galveston is turning into another Destin. :(

I've done Adopt-A-Beach. I'm not going to have time this year. However, it is a great step in the right direction. However everyday should be adopt-a-beach.

Then, your comments about Galveston make even less sense. I've done the beach cleanup about a half dozen times, and it is precisely because I've invested so much time and sweat into Galveston's cleanliness that I stick up for it. To adopt a beach, then to make posts like your #57 just seems like you are trashing your very own efforts.

And, I wonder why you never mentioned it until now?

Niche, ridicule all you want...the truth is the truth. Galveston is a crap hole. What Galveston needs is another good hurricane.

I don't understand why this post wasn't deleted with the other ones. Is this not flaming?

If I said what Sri Lanka needs is another tsunami - would that post be o.k.?

I just want to be clear about what kind of language is allowed around here so that I don't OFFEND anyone.

Edited by Mister X

Well, ok, I know I can be reactionary at times, but why would anyone make a statement saying that Galveston needs another hurricane?? That's a terrible thing to say. I mean, nobody makes anyone go to Galveston. I happen to think it is a very special place and I have fond memories of my children growing up enjoying the beaches there. You people who hate Galveston should have seen Long Beach, CA when the oil derricks were up. I also enjoy the Ship Channel and the International Port in Houston. I love everything about the place and wxman really offends me with his comments.

That's exactly my point. Wxman's over the top mean spirited comments about Galveston is what started all the following posts that were later deleted. So I don't understand why that post was left to continue to offend people who love Galveston. I wouldn't wish a hurricane on my worst enemy and I wouldn't be calling places 'crap holes' unless I expected some retaliation.

That's exactly my point. Wxman's over the top mean spirited comments about Galveston is what started all the following posts that were later deleted. So I don't understand why that post was left to continue to offend people who love Galveston. I wouldn't wish a hurricane on my worst enemy and I wouldn't be calling places 'crap holes' unless I expected some retaliation.

Maybe the whole thread should be deleted and let Island residents/governmrnt prioritize the issues as they know best.

The entire thread seems to have become more of an aggravation than of any help..People getting all worked up by the comments of a department store clerk in The Woodlands isn't going to solve anything.

Every concerned citizen living here is doing the best they can to keep the beaches clean. Nothing said on here is going to change the color of the sand/water or deter the building boom that we are experiencing.

Hopefully we can enjoy another season with no hurricanes this year.. If Galveston gets wiped out can you imagine the damage to Houston? Devastating...

Niche, ridicule all you want...the truth is the truth. Galveston is a crap hole. What Galveston needs is another good hurricane.

Although I can get pretty defensive myself, is it any wonder why with a post like above? If we're going to get posts eliminated, it seems that the one that started this fiasco should be deleted first.

You guys need to get a life. I was attacked first. I'm not going to play the name game here, but being called a department store clerk in TW just adds fuel to the fire. I suppose you guys did no wrong. Right?? After all according to Gary..."you sir are ignorant." I suppose you guys don't remember that? Right? I suppose the only thing anybody remembers is what I said. I wouldn't attack that landfill...excuse me...Galveston if somebody hadn't attacked my post which happens to be in difference of opinion.

I'd advise you guys point the figure at each other. I didn't make a pop mark about Galveston until one of you decided to get smart. Gary, Niche, MidtownCoog, MisterX or Mikeybob2, you need to learn when to speak rationally instead of insulting. Mikeybob2, I don't know who the hell your talking about, but I'm not a clerk. And even if I was...what are you trying to imply?

The hurricane comment...ok, maybe a bit insensitive. However at this point I don't give a flip what you people think of me. I can assure you that my thoughts about you all are just as bad if not worse.

Although I can get pretty defensive myself, is it any wonder why with a post like above? If we're going to get posts eliminated, it seems that the one that started this fiasco should be deleted first.

Started? Revert back to your post that prompted my comment.

You know what...nevermind. It doesn't matter anymore. I don't care to continue this arguement. It's obvious that all of you have a difference of opinion. Apparently you see beauty in Galveston that has been shielded from me. I appologize if I've offended anyone...

Nevermind indeed. <_< We could be up all night trying to figure out what makes department store clerks in wooded areas (not you wxman) so negitive on Galveston but there's no point. It's not like anyone is going to stop enjoying it. The beach parties and new construction will go on with or without wxman's blessings.

You posted an apology before I hit the reply button...so I decided to delete my own original brilliant post. Damn. It was good too. But now it would read as if I were trying to add fuel to the fire when all I want is the insults and death wishes to Galveston to stop (and hopefully be removed before they cause any more flame wars).

Now that that unpleasentness is behind us, people can go back to making suggestions about how to improve our beloved Galveston without trashing it - verbally.

Edited by Mister X

Nevermind indeed. <_< We could be up all night trying to figure out what makes department store clerks in wooded areas (not you wxman) so negitive on Galveston but there's no point. It's not like anyone is going to stop enjoying it. The beach parties and new construction will go on with or without wxman's blessings.

You posted an apology before I hit the reply button...so I decided to delete my own original brilliant post. Damn. It was good too. But now it would read as if I were trying to add fuel to the fire when all I want is the insults and death wishes to Galveston to stop (and hopefully be removed before they cause any more flame wars).

Now that that unpleasentness is behind us, people can go back to making suggestions about how to improve our beloved Galveston without trashing it - verbally.

being from california I don't consider galveston beaches to be ugly. Yes florida has beautiful beaches, California decent beaches, but better rugged coastlines. Couyld galveston look better? Probably. But consider it's convenience to Houston I think it nice for them to have galveston. The beaches work and some people just plain like them. If they were so bad beach front homes wouldn't be renting year after year for thousands of dollars per week. Galveston is just a neat spot to me. Not just a beach.

The point I'm trying to make is that Galveston ain't the prettiest beach on the gulf coast...BY FAR!! Nobody on here can have a difference of opinion unless you and your cult join together to insult somebody. If you think that Beaumont is responsible for the Texas...not just Galveston, waters looking like mud, then maybe your the one that needs to do research. So I like Destin. So what! Just because I found the only group of people in Houston who feels Galveston is natural "beauty" does not mean everybody has to agree with you!!!

Comments made with tact are more productive and puts a better light on the author.

I've actually found this thread interesting, not because of the backbiting, but because it has exposed preconceived notions and beliefs as to what constitutes a "good" beach versus a "bad" one. What I find most interesting is the fact that many of the beaches tossed out as "good" beaches actually have characteristics that many say are not good.

There are certainly those that see white sand as the overriding factor in determining a good beach. Destin is king there. Few other beaches have Appalachian quartz washing onto their beach to achieve its whiteness. What is interesting though, is most of the other "good" beaches have sand similar to Galveston's. Key West, the Outer Banks and California all have off-white sand, yet they have good reputations. Hawaii has black sand, yet no one complains. What is at play here is the preconceived notion that Galveston is a bad beach; therefore, the color of the sand becomes a reason.

Another point made is the water. At certain times, Galveston's water is brown. Most of the time, it is green. However, at least one can swim in it. California beachwater temps rarely if ever reach 70 degrees. Galveston water is 70 degrees during Spring Break. One can swim in Galveston water from March to October without a wetsuit. Yet, you never hear complaints about California's unswimmable water. Why?

The answer, I believe, is the perception created by the non-beach surroundings. While California has an entire culture promoting its beaches, and Key West has its party atmosphere, and the Outer Banks has its history and tight development restrictions, Galveston for a long time did not. For decades, Galveston was neglected, due to the economic conditions in the city. It is just in the last 10 years that it is recovering. Add in the typical Houston cynicism about its quality of life, and you have a public relations disaster.

6 million people per year visit Galveston, more than double Key West. It is not doing badly. What it needs is some good PR. The buildings are being refurbished, and new ones are going up. Certainly, the City should use some of that new tax money to clean and rehab some of its infrastructure. As 6 million guests can be sloppy at times, litter control must be a priority. As I mentioned earlier, Houstonians should assist in keeping the beaches clean (especially since our litter floats down to their beach).

But, mostly, Houstonians should go see what is going on there before denigrating the city. It is not the Galveston of the 70s and 80s. Quit repeating old stereotypes. There is nothing to do in Destin, once you leave the beach. California water is too cold to swim in. There is seaweed on Key West beaches. But, that doesn't stop people from going there. And, the number one reason to quit griping? It is only 50 miles away. Would you rather not have it at all?

I have to disagree about California beaches being too cold to swim in. At least in the L.A. area. I mean, the water isn't a comfortable temp like in Texas, but people ajust to it somehow once the initial shock wares off. I lived in the L.A. area for about 10 years. And went to the beach quite often. In fact, I lived in a beach house in Sunset Beach (just north of Huntington Beach) for 2 years. I remember the water always being full of people on the weekends in the summer.

It took me a long time to build up the courage to walk out into what I thought was going to be unbarable cold. I would get about knee deep and turn around because it was so cold and I had been spoiled by the comfort of Texas beaches my whole life. Everyone always told me that you get used to it after a while, but I didn't believe them. But those waves looked like too much fun so I eventually ventured out there and discovered that my friends were right. You really will get used to it after a while.

I prefer Texas beaches however, because they feel great instantly. I love Galveston, but my favorite beach is in the North Padre Island area (outside Corpus Christie, south of Port Aransas) The temp is perfect. The water is usually slightly better looking than Galveston. It can be on the brownish side sometimes but usually, it's a lovely bluegreen most times I've seen it. The waves are usually pretty decent and the crowds are not out of control. Plus, it's just sort of a family tradition to rent a condo down there every summer - which like Galveston, I associate a lifetime of happy memories. All this talk is going to make me need a beach fix soon. This is one of the reasons I love Houston, when I need a beach, I can get to one quick without spending any real money.

Edited by Mister X

All this talk is going to make me need a beach fix soon. This is one of the reasons I love Houston, when I need a beach, I can get to one quick without spending any real money.

Ah, yes! ...but it is addictive. I was only in Galveston three days ago, and already I need another fix.

Anyone here ever been out to Matagorda Island State Park?

Edited by TheNiche

Just so everyone knows for the record, that even though I put up pics of the "dirty underbelly" of Galveston, I LOVE GALVESTON ! Grew up my whole life going down there, when I was a wee lad, going to Sea Arama and playing Putt Putt at Stewart Beach in the 70's,many times in the 80's, during my teenage years when I wasn't supposed too, and getting into trouble. I like taking my family down there now. Lots of great memories from there. I just feel more can be done to make it cleaner. I mean cleaner by groomed beaches, it would make a WORLD of difference. I admit I have been spoiled by seeing what other beaches around the country have to offer. I also know how to implement a way to make Galveston able to compete with those other touristy beaches. Unfortunately, I am a lone voice in the dark.

The people of Galveston don't truly want any NEW growth on the island anyways, so why keep the beaches clean? They are trying very hard right now to shoot down the proposed new plans out on 8mile and 11mile roads. They claim it will "obstruct their view of the Gulf". NEWSFLASH, you can't see the beach or the Gulf from where your houses are people, you are on the north side of the those roads ! They are worried about "traffic" also. The plan also calls for widening the roads also to alleviate the "traffic".

being from california I don't consider galveston beaches to be ugly. Yes florida has beautiful beaches, California decent beaches, but better rugged coastlines. Couyld galveston look better? Probably. But consider it's convenience to Houston I think it nice for them to have galveston. The beaches work and some people just plain like them. If they were so bad beach front homes wouldn't be renting year after year for thousands of dollars per week. Galveston is just a neat spot to me. Not just a beach.

Thank you....we have much more to offer than a beach!

Just so everyone knows for the record, that even though I put up pics of the "dirty underbelly" of Galveston, I LOVE GALVESTON ! Grew up my whole life going down there, when I was a wee lad, going to Sea Arama and playing Putt Putt at Stewart Beach in the 70's,many times in the 80's, during my teenage years when I wasn't supposed too, and getting into trouble. I like taking my family down there now. Lots of great memories from there. I just feel more can be done to make it cleaner. I mean cleaner by groomed beaches, it would make a WORLD of difference. I admit I have been spoiled by seeing what other beaches around the country have to offer. I also know how to implement a way to make Galveston able to compete with those other touristy beaches. Unfortunately, I am a lone voice in the dark.

The people of Galveston don't truly want any NEW growth on the island anyways, so why keep the beaches clean? They are trying very hard right now to shoot down the proposed new plans out on 8mile and 11mile roads. They claim it will "obstruct their view of the Gulf". NEWSFLASH, you can't see the beach or the Gulf from where your houses are people, you are on the north side of the those roads ! They are worried about "traffic" also. The plan also calls for widening the roads also to alleviate the "traffic".

Are they really "The people of Galveston"? Think about this, some of those same "Galvestonian's" residential developments were frowned upon by earlier "Galvestonians" who were out west first. Now they have the audacity to oppose new development out there LOL!! By the way, they perfer to be called "West Galveston", seriously. :rolleyes:

Edited by J.A.S.O.N.

I saw this thread started by our old buddy greystone08 on SSC. Since he never posts here on HAIF anymore, I thought i'd start the same thread here and see some viewpoints as to why Galveston doesn't take better care of their beaches. Maybe since there's all kinds of new development, hopefully they might start.

I am not sure about the city of Galveston not caring for the beaches, but even if there were no garbage to contend with, the way the water churns up setiment is the reason why our beaches are not pretty and blue like in other places.

I am not sure about the city of Galveston not caring for the beaches, but even if there were no garbage to contend with, the way the water churns up setiment is the reason why our beaches are not pretty and blue like in other places.

That is the WATER, we are talking about the actual SAND ON THE BEACH ! I could care less about the water, I barely stick a toe in the Gulf. I would like a nicely groomed beach for my kids to run around on . We are not talking about the WATER, the water could be Green as the river that goes through Chicago on St. Patty's Day for all I care. I would like a nice clean beach when I get there. IT IS NOT ABOUT THE WATER, THE WATER IS FINE ! ! ! Fix the beaches. :wacko:

Thank you....we have much more to offer than a beach!

So, people come to Galveston to hang out in the local trinket shops now ?

I have been to the Strand plenty of times, and the Railroad museum and caught a couple of Deep Sea fishing boats out of there. But, it is a day at the beach that makes me want to come back, not Dickens on the Strand or Mardi Gras. I "settle" for what I have in terms of a beach in Galveston, because it is what I have, that is most convenient to me and my family.