Filmed in Houston

houstonsemipro

Already covered, Grey.  ;)

"Jason's Lyric" starring Jada Pinkett and Allen Payne. Urban love story set and filmed in Houston. Lots of charming scenes of the surrounding meadows and pine forests as well.

I see your post now Hizzy. Overlooked it. My bad!!! ;)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found it online earlier this year but have since forgotten where. I can tell you the house is not in River Oaks proper, but is on Avalon just north of Westheimer and a few blocks west of Kirby. It has had some exterior modifications but still looks very much like the house in the movie.

The house used in the sequel, The Evening Star is a different house that is almost identical on the outside, and located somewhere near Rice University but I have never found the address for it. Supposedly at the time the sequel was made, the house used in it was owned by a relative of the people who owned the house from the original film at the time it was made.

Yes, the house in 'Terms' was in Avalon, which is indistinguishable from River Oaks proper except the houses there average only in the $750K range for a 3BR/2, 2000 sq ft. It is just north of Westheimer but I can't remember the exact address. When the movie was made, my best friend was an agent for Martha Turner Realtors. The movie studio contacted Martha and she put them in contact with the owner of the house who was an agent there. The studio paid her 50K, moved her and her daughter to an apartment for 6 months, and redid the house to make it into a compatible set for the movie. After the shooting was finished, the studio replaced the interior and backyard. The owner gave a party the night of the Academy Awards and, as you know, Terms of Endearment won for best picture. All I remember about it was that Nathan's Hotdogs had a stand in the back yard and I talked to Red Duke and that beastly Elma Berrera a reporter on one of the local news channels.

There was also some low-budget horror movie spoof that was filmed in Houston, from the looks of it back in the 1970s.  At the beginning there is a parade downtown around the Houston House apartments.  Has anyone else seen this one?

I have a copy of this. The movie is "Student Bodies" from around 1981. I hadn't seen it in over 20 years... I only recently got a copy of it and was just watching some of it last night.

• 4 weeks later...

if i'm not mistaken there were a couple of other films made here (partially or in total).

1) one of the 'westworld' movies was filmed downtown and in some mall (shops?) downtown

2) robocop (not the first one)

3) some campy (teen) vampire movie was set here in houston. a lot of scenes of places in river oaks if i remember correctly

4) a lot of commercials also use the houston downtown (allen parkway view) skyline as a backdrop

Hello. I just came across this forum.

ABC's "Extreme Home Makeover" is currently looking for a Houston family to feature.

The WB's "Reba" is set in Houston.

The recent CBS movie "Suburban Madness" was set in Houston (the Clara Harris story, so obviously, but still...). Interiors were shot in Canada, but there were plenty of downtown Houston shots.

An old 80's NBC soap called "Texas" was set in Houston (probably taped in Burbank or NY).

the chase with charlie sheen was partially filmed on the unfinished beltway 8.  i hear that the millenium tower figures prominently in either the film or the background.

There is also a part where they show the triple fountains from the Museum District in that film as well.

i gotta rent this movie .. was it (the movie) set in houston, or was houston just the location for the film that was supposed to be some other city?

The movie was supposed to be set in California. Charlie Sheen is running from the cops and is trying to make it across the border to Mexico. They even use one of the toll plazas as the border. Never figured out which one.

The movie was supposed to be set in California. Charlie Sheen is running from the cops and is trying to make it across the border to Mexico. They even use one of the toll plazas as the border. Never figured out which one.

they're pretty much all the same ... boring and expensive. speaking of tolls, can anyone tell me why some are $1.25, some are $.75, and some are $.50? is it by distance, by city zone, or just some arbitrary amount?

Hello. I just came across this forum.

ABC's "Extreme Home Makeover" is currently looking for a Houston family to feature.

The WB's "Reba" is set in Houston.

The recent CBS movie "Suburban Madness" was set in Houston (the Clara Harris story, so obviously, but still...). Interiors were shot in Canada, but there were plenty of downtown Houston shots.

An old 80's NBC soap called "Texas" was set in Houston (probably taped in Burbank or NY).

The movie "Suburban Madness" really ticked me off. Its like come on man, enough with the stereotypical southern accents allready. THERE ARE VERY FEW PEOPLE in Houston that talke like they are from Savanah Georgia. I hate it. Houston is 75 percent ethnic including asian and middleeastern, not to mention the huge latin population, so the reality is you hear everything here. I think I have mabye 5 times or so heard a southern accent the 18 years I have been here. And another thing, Texas and Southern are 2 different things. So if you are going to stereotype, at least get it right for crying out loud.

(get the rope.)

did we all forget one of the most obvious shows on television right now... animal cops houston.

i really never watch it, mainly because i HATE to see animals abused. even though they save animals, it burns me up that people treat them so badly.

Me neither. Same reasons. One thing I found funny, though. I had it once and they were showing some dog tied up. Apparently it had been without food or something like that (that's not the funny part). After I got a good look, I realized that it was about five houses down from my grandma's house.

Here's an interesting book in progress about the Buffalo Bayou. Probably the first movie ever filmed in the Houston area is mentioned here. It was a silent film that came out in 1924 called "North of 36" and was filmed on what became Cinco Ranch.

Here's an interesting book in progress about the Buffalo Bayou. Probably the first movie ever filmed in the Houston area is mentioned here. It was a silent film that came out in 1924 called "North of 36" and was filmed on what became Cinco Ranch.

speaking of films... didn't howard hughes live here at some point? and wasn't he the head (owner) of some movie studio? did that studio ever produce any movies here?

Probably the first movie ever filmed in the Houston area is mentioned here. It was a silent film that came out in 1924 called "North of 36" and was filmed on what became Cinco Ranch.
Wasn't the first film to ever win an Academy award ("Wings") filmed in Houston? Seems I heard that a long time ago.
speaking of films... didn't howard hughes live here at some point? and wasn't he the head (owner) of some movie studio? did that studio ever produce any movies here?

Howard Hughes was born here. Attended Rice University. Buried here.

Howard Hughes was born here. Attended Rice University. Buried here.

Actually he was born in Saratoga but did grow up here. And of course attended Rice and is buried in Glenwood Cemetery on Washington along with many of the city's other wealthy and famous residents.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived