Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

1 hour ago, shasta said:

I still am shocked how much they VE'd this project from the original design and layout. This project is right up there with the downtown Embassy Suites level of ruined projects, if you ask me. maybe even worse because it will continue to get worse. It looks really bad.

It went from a collection of architecturally different buildings and interesting urban streetscapes to a cheap looking ruin of the mill monolithic apartment building . Even the retail is cheap looking..I drive by it everyday and shake my head of what could have been!

GID breaks ground on phase two of Regent Square mixed-use near Buffalo  Bayou - Houston Business Journal

Regent Square Houston | Wordsearch

Regent Square | www.huitt-zollars.com

At least we have City Center and the River Oaks district for developers that understand what quality mixed use developments are supposed to look like.

Too bad because this one has the best location and the potential to be the best new project in all of Houston. What a colossal disappointment.

In 10 years, this project will be considered so low quality that it might be well below market rate apartments.

What we are seeing wasn't the result of VE. This was a result of a change in design vision. Different approach. Probably a different team. If it takes you that long to build something they probably wanted to update for what works today, or what they feel like will work for today. Their original vision was pretty ambitious for the time, and was ahead of its time. I think this was either before City Centre or during the initial years of City Centre. This idea was pretty new to Houston, and to most investors in general. Now its a given that developers will do large PUD's as a long term investment given the success of City Centre among others. Thus far what Regent Square has built or is building is actually pretty good after struggling for this long. I like the plaza approach without completely redoing the grid. They obviously are trying to work within a tighter budget, and given constraints that they didn't think they had before. It happens. I would cut them some slack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shasta said:

I still am shocked how much they VE'd this project from the original design and layout. This project is right up there with the downtown Embassy Suites level of ruined projects, if you ask me. maybe even worse because it will continue to get worse. It looks really bad.

It went from a collection of architecturally different buildings and interesting urban streetscapes to a cheap looking ruin of the mill monolithic apartment building . Even the retail is cheap looking..I drive by it everyday and shake my head of what could have been!

GID breaks ground on phase two of Regent Square mixed-use near Buffalo  Bayou - Houston Business Journal

At least we have City Center and the River Oaks district for developers that understand what quality mixed use developments are supposed to look like.

Too bad because this one has the best location and the potential to be the best new project in all of Houston. What a colossal disappointment.

In 10 years, this project will be considered so low quality that it might be well below market rate apartments.

IDK those white, ghost buildings are looking absolutely stunning!!!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shasta said:

They've definitely botched it so far. I almost loathe The Sterling compared to what they initially envisioned. It encapsulates Houston development in every sense of the phrase. No need to cut them any slack, they're a massive development firm. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This project was doomed after they changed architecture firms. I have a friend who was the lead for this project and they couldn't get the developer to moved and then It went dormant for several years. The developer came back and changed firms, and the scope and vision were completely redirected or misdirected. Originally they were going to have several prominent firms designs an urban cluster of mid to high rise  buildings that would create a walkable area, but unfortunately they scrapped all of the good stuff and went with this abomination. If I never hear the words, " it's better that a vacant lot" again, I'll be so happy. This won't go away soon. We're stuck with mediocrity for the next fifty years, and unfortunately they own a whole lot of land in this neighborhood. Its going to be the stucco capital of Houston when they get done, and has the makings of a dated Three Fountains apartments area on Fountain View.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 8/27/2021 at 2:30 PM, HoustonBoy said:

Are we all overlooking the massive tower in the first picture of the model? Is that not a new tower? It looks great. Almost Art Deco. 

It looks like it will replace this portion of Allen House, just south of Sovereign at Regent Square 

image.png.d74bfbca11cebf8eb560d09279db542b.png

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, tigereye said:

That freaking sucks

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, wilcal said:

That freaking sucks

Hay Merchant is a cool place, and there's still time to enjoy it.

However, this little bit is interesting:

Leaving the current building also removes Georgia James from potential disruptions by imminent street construction on Waugh and whatever closures take place as Skanska redevelops the property at Montrose and Westheimer that previously housed Spec’s and Half Price Books. The aging building, previously home to a lesbian bar named Chances, needs significant work, according to Shepherd, and he's ready to be in new construction that will need less of his attention.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

The aging building, previously home to a lesbian bar named Chances, needs significant work

To split hairs, there were two tenants in that building; Chances was on the east side, the space now occupied by Hay Market. Prior to Chances, this was the home of the infamous Boobie Rock.
Charlie's Coffee Shop was in the western portion, which is the current Georgia James location.

Edited by dbigtex56
added info
  • Like 5

According to The Hay Merchant's Facrbook page the bar is closing. Massive loss to the craft beer scene. The Resturnat next door is moving to Regent.

So, you have probably heard the big news…After 10 years at 1100 Westheimer, we will be departing our current location—home of Georgia James and Hay Merchant—and Georgia James will relocate to Regent Square HTX.
With this new change, the obvious question that comes up is "what will happen to Hay Merchant?"
While the OG Hay Merchant is closing, we are going to do our very best to keep the Hay Merchant spirit alive throughout the company. While we are unsure if we will be able to open a new location, we do want to continue having weekly trivia nights, hosting watch parties & sporting events, as well offering a place to gather with friends to enjoy a good cocktail or beer. Additionally, you’ll still be able to get a damn good burger at the upcoming Underbelly Burger that will be opening at the Houston Farmer’s Market soon.
Trust us, we love Hay Merchant just as much as you do. We are committed to preserving the elements that make Hay Merchant so special, and we will continue to share updates as we know more about what this transition looks like.
Until then, we have until the end of the year to celebrate this amazing place. We plan to go out with a bang, and we hope you will join us!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Jimmy Bob said:

The Regent Square construction team worked overnight Friday night.  We listened to the trucks backing up all night.  What can be done to stop this?  There are posted work hours for these types of projects.

Depends on the circumstances.

Some portions of a project can only be done at night or in the early hours of the morning.

If a project is behind schedule, or a project is trying to get ahead of schedule then they will go to overnight hours.

In most circumstances there are no limitations on work hours unless construction is taking place in a neighborhood with deed restrictions that limit work hours, or if there are city ordinances which prevent working in the evening, night, or early morning.

To my knowledge there aren't any in this area which would prevent a contractor from working a project at night, nor do they have to give advance warning. While providing advanced warning would build a better relationship with the community, it isn't something they have to do.

I mean go ahead and check, but more than likely you won't get the desired result.

Do understand though that this isn't legal advice, or industry advice I'm providing. I'm just simply stating what I know from my experience.

If you are concerned, maybe just ask someone on the job at some point, and ask what their work schedule is or will be in the future and if they are going to continue with late hours into the night. You'd be surprised how open and willing foreman, subs, etc... are willing to help with questions or just chat about the project in general as most are very proud of the work they do and take it pretty seriously.

From what I've observed in photos posted on here thus far, this project is nearing or getting pretty close to substantial completion. At the very least they will be moving from exterior work to interiors in a short while, so I don't suspect they will be pulling a lot of late nights.

Hope that helps.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

pretty sure there is a sound ordinance in all of Houston, not just residential.

https://library.municode.com/tx/houston/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=COOR_CH30NOSOLERE

residential outlines specific DB levels, but in general the following is defined:

It is unlawful for any person to make, assist in making, permit, continue, cause to be made or continued, or permit the continuance of any loud, unnecessary, or unusual sound or noise that disturbs, injures, or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace, or safety of others. In determining whether a sound or noise is loud, unnecessary, or unusual, the following factors shall be considered...

there's a section of the defense of loud noises specific to construction:

The sound was produced by the erection, excavation, construction, or demolition of any building or structure, including the use of any necessary tools or equipment, conducted between the hours of 7 a.m. and 8 p.m., which activity did not produce a sound exceeding 85 dB(A) when measured from the property line of the residential property where the sound is being received.

next time it happens, call the cops (non emergency number) and report the noise. although 85dB is probably not going to be met, they will still send someone to the site. especially if there are multiple noise complaints.

edit: actually, reading that last part, I think the 85dB limit is between 7a and 8p, outside of those hours there doesn't appear to be any noise limit they can work within, unless I am reading it wrong, outside of 7a-8p they can't make any unnecessary noise that would disturb, or endanger comfort.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1