Bryan, Texas New HEB

citykid09

Updated December 12, 2004 0:29 AM

Tejas growth spelled H-E-B

121204heb.jpg

The new Bryan HEB, which opens Wednesday, is one of the grocery chain's largest stores in the state.

By HOLLY HUFFMAN

Eagle Staff Writer

Just one week before the scheduled grand opening of one of the state

Starbucks could and should go into Northgate and also The Tejas Center, it doesn't have to be a mutually exclusive decision. Freebirds would be good Downtown because the lunch traffic is very good and the evening visitation will only continue to improve as more residential lofts are added. While the number of residents will not be that high, the lofts will give the area a certain vibe day and night that it currently lacks.

Hey Scotch, have you noticed the new Wendy's near George Bush Libray? It's in one of those Gas station shopping center things. They are building those every where. There is another Gas station shopping center going up on Villa Maria and FM 2818. I wonder what resturants this one will have.

I didn't know about a Wendy's near the Bush Library, I thought that was all A&M land around there? I guess I will have to take a drive out there and see. As long as the gas station min-strip centers look decent, I am ok with them, but there can be too much of an ok thing.

I live in the triangle bound by Hwy. 6, F.M. 158 and University Drive. Basically the only fast food close by is Jack-in-the-Box and Popeye's. I'd love to have a Subway over here, but the one at Hwy. 6 and University might be too close to get one. A Whataburger would also be nice. Of course when the theatre goes in we should get a few nicer sit-down (chain) restaurants. The most exciting development of all will be on the east side of the bypass between University and Briarcrest. That land is so valuable that only top-notch development will be able to go in.

• 10 months later...

I stumbled upon this dialogue while searching for Fibertown on the internet. I happened to be downtown today and saw the signs stating "Fibertown" on several buildings under renovation. I've really enjoyed reading the discussions regarding Downtown Bryan, Tejas Center, east Bryan, etc. I'm a native Bryanite who ended up graduating from A&M Consolidated in the mid '90's after my parents moved us to CS. I've always felt more attached to Bryan though and have always felt that its gotten a raw deal with CS reaping all of the benefits of A&M being there. City fathers in Bryan in the 60's, 70's & 80's really did us a disservice by not planning a little more. I'm not sure how no one noticed that if Bryan continued to grow south towards CS that eventually the growth would move on past its city limits. I don't think that anyone in Bryan at that point thought that they'd be viewed as the inferior city one day. I guess hindsight is 20/20 though. I purchased my first home last year in Bryan and I'm ecstatic about all the growth going on around my neighborhood, Copperfield. Finally a grocery store, movie theater, etc, etc! My family is building a new office for our company in Park Hudson too and I couldn't be happier. I think that whole area is going to be the center of B/CS before long with the Adam and First National buildings coming along. Several of my college friends have come back to visit in the last year or so and they're all amazed at how much the area has changed. I agree with Scotch that Bryan was put back 20 years by Post Oak Mall locating in CS. I hope that Jack Lester, the owner of the still vacant site originally intended for the mall, realizes what he single handedly did to Bryan. I think that with Tejas, Traditions, Miramont, Downtown, Park Hudson, etc that we're finally back on the right track. I'll be sure to check back here often b/c its nice to see that other people are interested in and want Bryan to do as well as I do.

I stumbled upon this dialogue while searching for Fibertown on the internet. I happened to be downtown today and saw the signs stating "Fibertown" on several buildings under renovation. I've really enjoyed reading the discussions regarding Downtown Bryan, Tejas Center, east Bryan, etc. I'm a native Bryanite who ended up graduating from A&M Consolidated in the mid '90's after my parents moved us to CS. I've always felt more attached to Bryan though and have always felt that its gotten a raw deal with CS reaping all of the benefits of A&M being there. City fathers in Bryan in the 60's, 70's & 80's really did us a disservice by not planning a little more. I'm not sure how no one noticed that if Bryan continued to grow south towards CS that eventually the growth would move on past its city limits. I don't think that anyone in Bryan at that point thought that they'd be viewed as the inferior city one day. I guess hindsight is 20/20 though. I purchased my first home last year in Bryan and I'm ecstatic about all the growth going on around my neighborhood, Copperfield. Finally a grocery store, movie theater, etc, etc! My family is building a new office for our company in Park Hudson too and I couldn't be happier. I think that whole area is going to be the center of B/CS before long with the Adam and First National buildings coming along. Several of my college friends have come back to visit in the last year or so and they're all amazed at how much the area has changed. I agree with Scotch that Bryan was put back 20 years by Post Oak Mall locating in CS. I hope that Jack Lester, the owner of the still vacant site originally intended for the mall, realizes what he single handedly did to Bryan. I think that with Tejas, Traditions, Miramont, Downtown, Park Hudson, etc that we're finally back on the right track. I'll be sure to check back here often b/c its nice to see that other people are interested in and want Bryan to do as well as I do.

Yeah Bryan was set back alot by that, but look at Post Oak Mall now, no one wants to be in there any more, everything is going on University, and parts of Texas Ave and other places.

As for the Tejas center, I personally think that it looks cheap compared to the newer shopping centers going in College Station. I was hopping it would look more like the Bed Bath and Beyond Shopping center, or the center that is by Home Depot.

Yeah Bryan was set back alot by that, but look at Post Oak Mall now, no one wants to be in there any more, everything is going on University, and parts of Texas Ave and other places.

As for the Tejas center, I personally think that it looks cheap compared to the newer shopping centers going in College Station. I was hopping it would look more like the Bed Bath and Beyond Shopping center, or the center that is by Home Depot.

From what I've heard that is a national trend. Its called the "de-malling of America". Most new retail developments are of the strip or lifestyle center variety instead of malls. As far as the Tejas Center I agree that there are a couple of things that could've been done to make it appear more upscale but honestly compared to what was there before the transformation is a miracle. Its a shame that Manor East was allowed to deteriorate to that level. It really hurt the entire city economically. I think that with the upscale residential developments at either end of Briarcrest/Villa Maria the corridor will look a good deal different in 5 years. At least thats what I'm hoping for. The same family that owns and remodeled Tejas is already planning to renovate the center at the intersection of Briarcrest & Villa Maria...that should make a big difference as well.

The "Sul-Mar" center has need an update for 15 years as well, and a new name since it was named "Sul-Mar". I know how they got the name (SUL Ross & Villa MARia), but why not go with Bri-Mar, for Briarcrest?

So Culpepper owns that center as well? I guess any update is an improvement, but agree Tejas could have been better, though it is 300% better than Manor East.

The de-malling of America and the number of new trendy strip centers in C.S. amuses me because I vividly remember an article 10-15 years ago in the Eagle where a C.S. city official stated they wanted to keep strip centers out of C.S. so as not to "Bryanize" the city.

The "Sul-Mar" center has need an update for 15 years as well, and a new name since it was named "Sul-Mar". I know how they got the name (SUL Ross & Villa MARia), but why not go with Bri-Mar, for Briarcrest?

So Culpepper owns that center as well? I guess any update is an improvement, but agree Tejas could have been better, though it is 300% better than Manor East.

The de-malling of America and the number of new trendy strip centers in C.S. amuses me because I vividly remember an article 10-15 years ago in the Eagle where a C.S. city official stated they wanted to keep strip centers out of C.S. so as not to "Bryanize" the city.

But you have to admit the newer Shopping Centers in College Station are really nice, except for the one with Goodys, Ross, Hobby Lobby, etc. That place never did look right and after all of these years they have still haven't filled it up, it just has a bad design over all.

Yeah that Blockbuster shopping center is ugly and needs fixing.

The center that I hate the most is the whole Wal-Mart Area. When people come in from out of town and thats the first thing they see there like "this is a Wal-Mart town" If you think about it really Wal-Mart One of the only retialers in Bryan, besides Bealls and the new store next to it, there really aren't any national retailers in Bryan, and even those to arent national. Its pretty sad when you think about it.

And What about that center thats just about across the street from the old Mr. Gatti's in Bryan. Along time ago there was just smaller section in the back and then they added on and it looks like they have never finished. Its got pink looking brick and I don't think anyone has ever had a store open there. Do you know which center I am talking about?

But you have to admit the newer Shopping Centers in College Station are really nice, except for the one with Goodys, Ross, Hobby Lobby, etc. That place never did look right and after all of these years they have still haven't filled it up, it just has a bad design over all.

Yeah that Blockbuster shopping center is ugly and needs fixing.

The center that I hate the most is the whole Wal-Mart Area. When people come in from out of town and thats the first thing they see there like "this is a Wal-Mart town" If you think about it really Wal-Mart One of the only retialers in Bryan, besides Bealls and the new store next to it, there really aren't any national retailers in Bryan, and even those to arent national. Its pretty sad when you think about it.

And What about that center thats just about across the street from the old Mr. Gatti's in Bryan. Along time ago there was just smaller section in the back and then they added on and it looks like they have never finished. Its got pink looking brick and I don't think anyone has ever had a store open there. Do you know which center I am talking about?

Yes, the Culpeppers own Sul-Mar and there was an article in The Eagle recently that stated they hope to renovate it as well. I hope it takes place. I wish I had seen that article in the paper regarding the "Bryanizing" of CS. Thats really interesting considering the numerous strip centers that have cropped up there in the past few years.

I remember when Wal-Mart petitioned the city of Bryan to allow them to build on Briarcrest. The site was originally going to be another office tower before the oil bust of the mid 80's. When Wal-Mart requested to build there they made it seem like they would pull out of Bryan if they weren't allowed to. In hind sight everyone knows that they would never do such a thing considering the revenues taken in there. However, Bryan being as cash strapped as they were at the time capitulated. Don Adam asked the city not to grant the waiver citing the fact that he wished to build his corporate headquarters there. Unfortunately, Mr. Adam should've purchased the sight earlier if he really wished to do so. The city seemed to think along those lines and now you have present day Briarcrest...once the most prestigious address in all of Brazos County. Mr. Adam also built the complex further down Briarcrest mentioned above. The original structure housed Madison Construction, an Adam subsidiary, for a few years along with quite a bit of storage for First American Bank. The other structures were completed recently and put up for lease but unfortunately its appeared to have occurred a few years too late. Most companies willing to pay that kind of rent aren't interested in locating on Briarcrest anymore.

Yes, the Culpeppers own Sul-Mar and there was an article in The Eagle recently that stated they hope to renovate it as well. I hope it takes place. I wish I had seen that article in the paper regarding the "Bryanizing" of CS. Thats really interesting considering the numerous strip centers that have cropped up there in the past few years.

I remember when Wal-Mart petitioned the city of Bryan to allow them to build on Briarcrest. The site was originally going to be another office tower before the oil bust of the mid 80's. When Wal-Mart requested to build there they made it seem like they would pull out of Bryan if they weren't allowed to. In hind sight everyone knows that they would never do such a thing considering the revenues taken in there. However, Bryan being as cash strapped as they were at the time capitulated. Don Adam asked the city not to grant the waiver citing the fact that he wished to build his corporate headquarters there. Unfortunately, Mr. Adam should've purchased the sight earlier if he really wished to do so. The city seemed to think along those lines and now you have present day Briarcrest...once the most prestigious address in all of Brazos County. Mr. Adam also built the complex further down Briarcrest mentioned above. The original structure housed Madison Construction, an Adam subsidiary, for a few years along with quite a bit of storage for First American Bank. The other structures were completed recently and put up for lease but unfortunately its appeared to have occurred a few years too late. Most companies willing to pay that kind of rent aren't interested in locating on Briarcrest anymore.

Yeah, if I owned a business I would rather be located on University now. or in the Copper Feild/ New Movie Theater area.

Now that you have brought back memories of what Tejas/ManorEast use to look like, the new one is a big improvment over that. I still don't see why they didn't place the powerline below the ground, they just put in metal powerlines.

And why isn't Bryan widening Texas Ave like College Station? Now I know for sure that it won't happen because right when you cross into Bryan on Texas Ave by Luby's, on the other side of the street they are adding sidewalks so there is no why they are going to widen it like in College Station.

Now that you have brought back memories of what Tejas/ManorEast use to look like, the new one is a big improvment over that. I still don't see why they didn't place the powerline below the ground, they just put in metal powerlines.

And why isn't Bryan widening Texas Ave like College Station? Now I know for sure that it won't happen because right when you cross into Bryan on Texas Ave by Luby's, on the other side of the street they are adding sidewalks so there is no why they are going to widen it like in College Station.

It had to do with the cost. The city of Bryan couldn't afford to bury all of the utilities in the area so they upgraded to the larger, taller steel towers. Its at least an improvement over what was there.

It had to do with the cost. The city of Bryan couldn't afford to bury all of the utilities in the area so they upgraded to the larger, taller steel towers. Its at least an improvement over what was there.

What about widening the street?

Texas Ave. doesn't need to handle as much north-south traffic in Bryan because we have College Ave., 29th Street and 2818. College Station and Bryan both have Rudder, Texas Ave. and Wellborn(jumps over to Finfeather in Bryan), but thats about all C.S. has to move traffic south.

About the power lines; cost comes into play for sure, but I'm pretty sure some lines carry too much power to go underground. After decades of ignoring the issue, the City of Bryan definately wants underground lines when it is possible(and when it can be paid for).

Bryan Street downtown will have underground utilities as part of the reconstruction, and hopefully so will College Ave. when the permanent upgrade is done in 5-7 years.

Citykid09- that sidewalk is going to be an artsy fartsy transition from one city to the next and I believe there will be something to symbolize a "bridge" between the cities. It seems to be too close to the road to actually see what the art is.

Texas Ave. doesn't need to handle as much north-south traffic in Bryan because we have College Ave., 29th Street and 2818. College Station and Bryan both have Rudder, Texas Ave. and Wellborn(jumps over to Finfeather in Bryan), but thats about all C.S. has to move traffic south.

About the power lines; cost comes into play for sure, but I'm pretty sure some lines carry too much power to go underground. After decades of ignoring the issue, the City of Bryan definately wants underground lines when it is possible(and when it can be paid for).

Bryan Street downtown will have underground as part of the reconstruction, and hopefully so will College Ave. when the permanent upgrade is done in 5-7 years.

Citykid09- that sidewalk is going to be an artsy fartsy transition from one city to the next and I believe there will be something to symbolize a "bridge" between the cities. It seems to be too close to the road to actually see what the art is.

That will comfuse people who don't know that the whole thing is in Bryan and College Station city limits isn't right there, its where the population sign that says entering College Station is.

It will be confusing, but it is actually College Station on that side of the street. Hensel Park juts into Bryan and that land along Texas is basically the back side of the park. On the other side of Texas Ave. Bryan starts at and includes the Fairfield Inn.

Bryan Street downtown will have underground utilities as part of the reconstruction, and hopefully so will College Ave. when the permanent upgrade is done in 5-7 years.

Last I heard the art was going to include some bronze statues of children looking into the horizon...something like 2 looking towards CS and 2 or 3 looking towards Bryan to symbolize what lays ahead for B/CS. Its been a while since I heard that though.

Two points to make...

Last year I got the chance. along with my mother, sister, and fifteen other citizens in the City of Bryan Citizens Leadership program, and one of our sessions with the city leaders dealt specifically with the overhead power lines issue. The head of city devlopment at the time (whom I thought was just the kind of aggressive and innovative leader the city had been in dire need of for twenty years) stated that one of the main reasons for Bryan losing out to College Station in competition for new businesses in the past decade could be attributed to the fact that CS has no overheads, which in his opinion made CS much more attractive. He made a serious attempt to try and convince the Bryan city leaders to push for the burying of the liines in the city, but when the proposed price tag for such a project was estimated at over ten million dollars, the idea was dropped like a hot potato and the city developer was fired and run out of town.

As for the lack of Bryan expanding Texas Avenue, the city has nothing to do with that aspect. Texas Avenue is Texas Business 6, owned and operated by the TxDot. It is the state that has made the decision to expand in College Station and fund it.

Wow, I am behind the times, I didn't know he was fired. I was in that same leadership program and was basing my statement about the power lines on what he had said. I hope somehow they can at least bury the smaller lines on Texas, College and the Villa Maria/Briarcrest corrdidor.

Wow, I am behind the times, I didn't know he was fired. I was in that same leadership program and was basing my statement about the power lines on what he had said. I hope somehow they can at least bury the smaller lines on Texas, College and the Villa Maria/Briarcrest corrdidor.

Yeah, putting those lines underground would work wonders for Bryan's visual appeal. But it is unfortunate that the Bryan city council doesnt want to invest the money into such a project. It would figure to me that such an inprovement may benefit the city economically in the future as it may intice a few more businesses to set up shop.

By the way, does anyone know whats going on next to Olive Garden, on both sides along the feeder road. I notice they are preparing a foundation next to Chicken Express, and they have cleared land, and leveled it on the opposite side of Olive Garden, behing Home Depot, along the Highway. Has anyone seen, or heard this?

Yeah, putting those lines underground would work wonders for Bryan's visual appeal. But it is unfortunate that the Bryan city council doesnt want to invest the money into such a project. It would figure to me that such an inprovement may benefit the city economically in the future as it may intice a few more businesses to set up shop.

By the way, does anyone know whats going on next to Olive Garden, on both sides along the feeder road. I notice they are preparing a foundation next to Chicken Express, and they have cleared land, and leveled it on the opposite side of Olive Garden, behing Home Depot, along the Highway. Has anyone seen, or heard this?

Freebird's is going in next to Chicken Express but I haven't heard yet what's going in next to Olive Garden. I thought the development guy for the city of Bryan quit and went to work for CS as part of the much needed shake up in their development division?

Freebird's is going in next to Chicken Express but I haven't heard yet what's going in next to Olive Garden. I thought the development guy for the city of Bryan quit and went to work for CS as part of the much needed shake up in their development division?

Im not sure, where he ended up. Although, what source did you hear as far as the Freebirds goes? Its been confirmed that one is opening at the new University Towne Center development a few blocks up from that site on University. I wouldnt think they would build two that close, but there again, I could be wrong.

Thats right he went to College Station. His name is Joey Dunn, or something like that.

Im not sure, where he ended up. Although, what source did you hear as far as the Freebirds goes? Its been confirmed that one is opening at the new University Towne Center development a few blocks up from that site on University. I wouldnt think they would build two that close, but there again, I could be wrong.

I haven't had this confirmed by anyone necessarily. I also saw that Freebirds was listed as a tenant on Page Partners' website (the realtor for University Town Center). However, there was a hand painted sign at the construction site next to Chicken Express as of a week or so ago that said "Freebirds". I'm assuming it was put there to aid construction workers in finding it. Thats all the proof I have though...I suppose it could've been a mistake.

Archived