Turnverein Bowling Alley At 5502 Almeda Rd.

texianjoe

I have been using the search feature on this site and Google to find information about a building on Almeda around the Blodgett-Southmore area. We always refered to it as the German Bowling Alley. I think it was a community/civic type building that was used in the 30s and 40s by German American organizations. Does anyone have any info on this, I have alway been curious about it but have been unable to find any real info except stories from some old timers.

joe

I have been using the search feature on this site and Google to find information about a building on Almeda around the Blodgett-Southmore area. We always refered to it as the German Bowling Alley. I think it was a community/civic type building that was used in the 30s and 40s by German American organizations. Does anyone have any info on this, I have alway been curious about it but have been unable to find any real info except stories from some old timers.

joe

Its the old "turn verein" (sp?) or something like that. Which is more of a gymnastics or athletic club. I know someone will come up with the correct spelling. If memory serves, which is always questionable, there was an article in the paper when it was torn down. The club or organization that the building was built to serve is/was still in existence someplace else. It was also mentioned in that documentary on Riverside Terrace, "This is our home - it is not for sale".

There was a little background on it here if you scroll down the list.

I had not been by there in several years. I'm saddened to hear it has been torn down it was a unique building. I had heard stories of the eagle on a globe on the front being shot up during WWII because it was associated with Naziism. I wish it could have been preserved.

I found this site by accident about a week ago while looking to see if any reincarnations of Sonny Looks or Dean Goss Dinner Theatre existed. I have not been able to stop reading it since. I grew up off of South Park and Doolittle until about 1974 when we moved off of Wayside and Long. I see a lot off old buildings and always wondered about their history. I love Texas history especially side notes to the more common stories. This is a great place.

joe

Here is a link to the Texas Handbook Online article on the Turnverein movement. "Verein" means club or organization...the Turn Verein was devoted to athletics or gymnastics, but was a big part of the social life of early Houston. There was also many Shooting Clubs or Schuetzen Verein scattered throughout Harris County including Bear Creek, Spring Branch, White Oak, Braes Bayou.

Texas Handbook Article on the Turn Verein Movement

• 7 months later...
  • 12 years later...

Hello,

I am not sure when you posted this, but I grew up at the Turn Verein on Alameda. I was the only child allowed in there, as far as I know. I spent so much time there, I have very vivid memories of the place.

Sherry Phillips

• The title was changed to Turnverein Bowling Alley At 5502 Almeda Rd.

Archived