Urban Cowboy Film Locations

Willsatx

Cardi's was still going as late as four years ago... A friend of mine went down there to check out a friend's band. We snuck in a bottle of Jager and ended up puking in the parking lot when it was time to go home. Cardi's was fun. The last "real" show I remember seeing there was probably in 2001. A Bad Brains reunion with Candiria and Haste opening, I believe it was. I haven't heard anything about Cardi's in several years, but then these places come and go. It had a decent run, sounds like, U2! Wow. Due to the place's layout my friends and I always speculated that it had begun life as a stripclub.

Actually, Jim closed the Cowboy Ranch and auctioned the sign on e-bay. Last I remember seeing, someone in Canada was high bidder.

Cute little fact about Cowboy Ranch: The restaurant sat in two cities - Deer Park and Pasadena. There was a yellow line in the restaurant that represented the split... it may have even been the actual line. Either way, it went through a table of four. Since Deer Park was dry, it was rumored you couldn't drink on the Deer Park side of the restaurant, but could drink on the side that rest in Pasadena. I've been there several times, and was only denied alcohol once or twice in certain areas... could have been the staff playing, or the real deal.

The pub I own in Pasadena has a Gilley's Retro Nite every Wednesday. It's a great young crowd and good times, complete with Mickey's son Greg and his posse.

Never a dull moment in Pasagetdowndena... that's for sure.

Speakin' of Greg, his band Rok Brigade Rok Brigade used to play at the club across Spencer from Gilley's. I would also see Helstar there and I ain't sure but.....I think i might have seen the Judy's there? I wish Corners was back.

• 4 weeks later...
I was wondering what the name of the coffee shop was that the fight between Bud and Wes took place? Is it still standing? where is/was it located?

IT WAS LOCATED AT THE CORNER OF S.SHAVER AND SPENCER HWY, PASADENA TEXAS,MONTGOMERY WARDS WAS ON CORNER. BACK IN THE 60'S MY UNCLE LIVED AT THAT PROPERTY. MOST OF THE SCENES IN TAHT PICTURE WAS SHOT IN MY HUGE BUILDING ON SPENCER ACROSS FROM GILLEY'S. SHERWOOD CRYER (OWNER OF GILLEYS) WAS IN BUSINESS WITH MY DAD IN THE 60'S.I CAN'T REMEMBER NAME BUT IT WAS LIKE A DENNY'S BUT THAT NAME. I ATE THERE ALL THE TIME. MY BUSINESS WAS ACROSS STREET FOR YEARS. THE HOUSE SCENES WAS IN LAPORTE OFF SPENCER BY AIRPORT.

NO! HALT everyone stop the presses!

There was a wooden frame placed about 3 years ago or less not way back when. In other words someone gave the OK to build a hotel or shopping center then just called it off.

Everytime I drove by it seemed to darken with the sun and I wondered why they abandoned the project? It may still be standing dont recall. For some reason they just stopped building. Now I need a Lone Star! >:)

YOU DON'T NEED ALONE STAR. THE STRUCTURE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WAS ON SPENCER I/4 MILE FROM S. SHAVER. JUST ABOUT WHERE THE CAFE WAS THAT THEY SHOWED THE FIGHT IN URBAN COWBOY AT. IT WAS TO BE A INDEPENDENT MOTEL THAT LOST THERE FUNDING THRU BANKRUPTCY. IT STAYED THERE A LONG TIME UNTIL 4 YEARS AGO. MY BUSINESS IS 3 BLOCKS FROM IT. I LIVED ON SPENCER WHERE OUR FAMILY BUSINESS WAS WHEN IT WAS A 2 LANE, 4LANE, AND NOW A 7 LANE.

This is a great thread and was gripping to read cause I have been working in Pasadena since 03 and never knew the history behind it.

The only bit of trivia I can add is that Manson family murder victim Sharon Tate went to that Catholic School north of Southmore on Shaver (St. Pius V Catholic School) between 48 and 51. Her family lived in Pasadena but left after her 2nd grade year. The whole church campus looks unaltered to I suppose it looked the same when she went there.

The Shaver and Spencer intersection is one I cross at least a few times a month. I took a look at that vacant lot that was the site of the parking lot puddle wrestling in the film....VERY sad to see how it is today. In fact, I went to that Ward's a few weeks before they were going out of business. The worker in the store was an old lady that said she had been there for about 25 years (back in 02 or 01). If I knew about that filming location I could have gotten info...grrrr. Man I wish I had at least taken photos of the Ward's in the final days. It looked so out of place.

In front of the flea market is a motorcycle shop that opened up about 1 or 2 years ago. On the SW corner of the intersection is an HEB dubed Mi Tienda that opened in early 07. They cater to the Latino market that is like 90% of the population in that part of Pasadena.

One question though...where exactly was Gilley's located? I know there is nothing left of it now but where was it?

Also, what used to be on the land that Walmart on Southmore sits on these days? When was that built?

If anyone wants pics of the Shaver and Spencer intersection I can shoot some anyday...it is a few minutes in the car to get there from work. You may cry if you grew up there when it was still sort of rural and clean.

Heck, I'll do a mini photo survey of the old parts of Pasadena since I have time to kill at work this week.

SEARS WAS AT WALMART'S SITE. GILLEYS WAS AT WATTERS RD AND SPENCER HWY, THE OLD RECORDING STUDIO IS STILL STANDING TODAY. THE USED CAR LOT ON PROPERTY HAS CONVERTED IT TO A GARAGE. EVEN THOUGH IT HAD FIRE DAMAGE. I HAVE MOST OF THE OLD SOUND EQUIPMENT I BOUGHT FROM THERE.

Wasn't that the Baytown Mountains?

According to IMDB, filming for Urban Cowboy was at Gilley's, 2200 South Main and 2016 South Main. Those addresses are on Main, and when the street becomes S Main, the numbers just continue. 2016 Main is, of course, "2016 Main". Don't know what would have been shot there. Not sure what is at the 2200 Main location, or if what was there then is there today

WHEN BUD WENT TO FANCY ROOM WITH THE OTHER WOMAN IT WAS IN 2016 MAIN WITH HOUSTON IN BACKGROUND.

IT WAS LOCATED AT THE CORNER OF S.SHAVER AND SPENCER HWY, PASADENA TEXAS,MONTGOMERY WARDS WAS ON CORNER. BACK IN THE 60'S MY UNCLE LIVED AT THAT PROPERTY. MOST OF THE SCENES IN TAHT PICTURE WAS SHOT IN MY HUGE BUILDING ON SPENCER ACROSS FROM GILLEY'S. SHERWOOD CRYER (OWNER OF GILLEYS) WAS IN BUSINESS WITH MY DAD IN THE 60'S.I CAN'T REMEMBER NAME BUT IT WAS LIKE A DENNY'S BUT THAT NAME. I ATE THERE ALL THE TIME. MY BUSINESS WAS ACROSS STREET FOR YEARS. THE HOUSE SCENES WAS IN LAPORTE OFF SPENCER BY AIRPORT.

The following is listed in the 1969 directory for Spencer Highway at South Shaver:

South Shaver

2801 Turner Brown Service Station

2802 Miss R. M. Shannon Res.

2803 A1 Auto Sales

2814 George B. Conces Res.

2816 George B. Conces, Jr. Res.

2826 J. B. Larson Res.

Charley's Liquor Store

2830 Sherwoods

2900 Magic Slides Inc.

2910 Little Shaver Steak House

Little Shaver Ice

3001 Alvin Prentice Res.

3005 Alto Transmission Shop

3007 Gandys Barber Shop

3009 The Medicine Chest

3019 Bob Morin Motors

3020 David's Hardware Company

3028 Vickis Drive In

SPENCER HWY INTS

3101 Currys Service Station

3102 M Presley Sinclair

3200 Zale Jewelry Company

3230 J. C. Penny Co. Inc.

3316 Bill Dane Auto Air

3322 Homa Bronk Res.

3324 The Monterey House

3402 Sierras Apartments

Spencer Hwy

2217 Plaza Realty Co.- A. E. Exley

2221 Earl Hall Res

2222 Montgomery Ward Company

2232 J. Weingarten, Inc.

2301 Whataburger Drive In

2406 Dunkin Doughnuts

2408 Toppers Steak House

2417 Apts.

2511 Franklin Jackson Res.

2513 Wiley Ordis Res.

2626 Osborne-Apple Ford

2632 GG Western Shop

2634 The Superette

2636 Frederick Tire Factory

2638 AAA Health Food

2640 Kirby Mattresses

The following is listed in the 1969 directory for Spencer Highway at South Shaver:

2634 The Superette

Now that is really going back in time!

There was a Superette Grocery Store in near North East Houston on Lockwood/Liberty Road. I wonder if it is the same chain? It was a simple flat roofed space age style building with candy striped roof supports that tiled at an angle. I would freak out if it was the same people/chain. The building is still there but has been remuddled and is now a small skating rink. Just wondered. :)

Trivia

The scene where Wes chews up and swallows the worm after drinking the bottle of tequila was not scripted, but a joke done for the dailies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick Swayze's wife and mother (Lisa Niemi and Patsy Swayze) choreographed the dance sequences.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Travolta had a mechanical bull installed in his home two months before production began. He became so good that he was allowed to dismiss the stunt double and do the takes himself.

At the time the film was shot, Gilley's, used as the film's main nightclub location was the largest nightclub in the world in terms of available space for the patrons, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

Michelle Pfeiffer auditioned for the role of Sissy and was producer Robert Evans' preferred choice.

Patrick Swayze taught John Travolta how to do the two-step for the movie.

Studio executives were against casting Debra Winger in the lead role at first. Director James Bridges threatened to quit the film unless she was cast. They eventually approved the casting.

The script was originally written for Dennis Quaid.

Robert Evans sent Debra Winger back from location because he did not think she was attractive enough for the lead; it was only at the insistence of director James Bridges that she did the role.

The soundtrack album was a major hit. It sold several million copies and featured the hit tunes "Looking for Love", "Can I Have This Dance?" and "All Night Long".

The 1967 Ford Mustang that Sissy drove in this movie now resides in Evans City, PA (near Pittsburgh). It is owned by two brothers and is often seen in local car shows.

More trivia:

My sister was an extra in Urban Cowboy. She went to Gilley's everyday for three weeks filming the dance contest scene. She was one of the dancers. She was paid $30. a day plus three meals.

• 3 months later...

I happend to be in the area this week and shot a few pics.

This is Uncle Bob's house. HCAD shows a build date of 1979 and surprisingly it is only $110K. The area looked very nice and clean.

DSCN2618.jpg

DSCN2619.jpg

DSCN2617.jpg

This is roughly the location of the restaurant that Bud and Sissy have the puddle fight at night.

DSCN2620.jpg

This is the Wards that has now been converted into an indoor flea market.

DSCN2622.jpg

The old Handy Dandy is now a resale shop. I went in last month and asked to take photos but the manager politely declined my request. They have altered NOTHING inside. The old lawn and garden area is as it was before; just with resale stuff on the shelves. The used book collection is pretty good. $2 and some change buys a hardback.

DSCN2623.jpg

This is at the Spencer and Shaver intersection facing west on Spencer.

DSCN2624.jpg

There is a small used car dealer on the side where Wards used to be.

DSCN2625.jpg

This is the SW corner of the intersection. Mi Tienda is just an HEB in disguise.

DSCN2626.jpg

One last photo looking west from that area on Spencer.

DSCN2627.jpg

Indeed the recording studio of Gilley's is still there. You can see the roof from the street but not much more. It is hard to photograph but google earth will give you a bird's eye view.

• 2 weeks later...
I happend to be in the area this week and shot a few pics.

This is Uncle Bob's house. HCAD shows a build date of 1979 and surprisingly it is only $110K. The area looked very nice and clean.

DSCN2618.jpg

DSCN2619.jpg

DSCN2617.jpg

This is roughly the location of the restaurant that Bud and Sissy have the puddle fight at night.

DSCN2620.jpg

This is the Wards that has now been converted into an indoor flea market.

DSCN2622.jpg

The old Handy Dandy is now a resale shop. I went in last month and asked to take photos but the manager politely declined my request. They have altered NOTHING inside. The old lawn and garden area is as it was before; just with resale stuff on the shelves. The used book collection is pretty good. $2 and some change buys a hardback.

DSCN2623.jpg

This is at the Spencer and Shaver intersection facing west on Spencer.

DSCN2624.jpg

There is a small used car dealer on the side where Wards used to be.

DSCN2625.jpg

This is the SW corner of the intersection. Mi Tienda is just an HEB in disguise.

DSCN2626.jpg

One last photo looking west from that area on Spencer.

DSCN2627.jpg

Indeed the recording studio of Gilley's is still there. You can see the roof from the street but not much more. It is hard to photograph but google earth will give you a bird's eye view.

Larry awesome pics, UC was on the other night and was thinking about where Uncle Bob's house was at?

• 2 years later...

2220 Main is "The Hound Station" : Greyhound Bus Station. It is one block from the 2016 Main Building.

Wasn't that the Baytown Mountains?

According to IMDB, filming for Urban Cowboy was at Gilley�s, 2200 South Main and 2016 South Main. Those addresses are on Main, and when the street becomes S Main, the numbers just continue. 2016 Main is, of course, �2016 Main�. Don�t know what would have been shot there. Not sure what is at the 2200 Main location, or if what was there then is there today

Edited by Downtown

• 1 month later...

The high rise scenes were filmed at 2016 Main, you can see the Houston House in the background. As for the uptown nightclub, it was Elan back then, on St. James near Yorktown. It is now a restaurant called The Courtyard. My family used to be in the dry cleaning business here in town, during the filming some of the crew rented a house in Tanglewood and brought some clothes in to be done, I'm not sure if any wardrobe items were done, but the crew was driving around in the beat-up Mustang Debra Winger used in the film.<<Bmil128

You are exactly right. You can see the Houston House in the Background so it was definitely 2016 Main. I remember Elan on St. James, it was one of the hot places to go in the late 70's. The movie was previewed at the GayLynn Theater at Sharpstown and I heard that they resurfaced the entry with some kind of glitter infused concrete to make it sparkle for the local premier. Most of the movie was filmed in Pasadena and that trailer Wes lived in was out in Gilly's parking lot for quite a while. I recall seeing it at least a few years after the movie had been released.

The entry to the Gaylynn was always a black concrete surface with a sparkle in it. It may have been refinished prior to the premier. I am fairly sure for the "Urban Cowboy" premiere, they covered the entry with red carpet. My friends were the doormen/ticket takers for the event (they had to wear brown , western style tuxes the studio rented for them). I stood in front and watched Andy Warhol (with Jerry Hall?) walk in with her tight gold pants, Charlie Daniels standing around, etc.

I went in after everyone had left and we tripped over so many wine/champagne bottles people brought in and drank. I recall Debra Winger leaving the theater last with no crowd around (she was petite and no one knew her).

• Like 1

• 11 years later...
  • The title was changed to Urban Cowboy Film Locations