The Heron Museum District: Multifamily High-Rise At 4343 Woodhead St.

jlt1988

• 2 months later...

The lifeless ground level has always been disappointing to me, but other than that this one is alright. It's certainly better than what was there before. I honestly don't get the towers/turrets, but whatever. I will agree that they choose some nice brick. It certainly complements the area.

Also holy crap are they blazing through with building those townhomes across the street!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

La Tapatia holds on, but there are no other tennants in the strip facing Richmond. I wonder how much longer it has to go, or why the owner is bothering to hold onto it anymore. I don't see how anything can be done with that location, and it doesn't mesh at all with what Richmond & the neighborhood (I live down the street from this project!) is becoming.

• 2 years later...

I have lived at the Fairmont for years now, they said that Phase III is on hold due to the steel tariffs, they own both of the small properties behind however, and contract a company to manage them. Not sure about La Tapatia. Phase III will be a Hanover-style high rise tower with full service amenities.

Edited by jordangauger
Add details.
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

The developers behind the Fairmont Museum District apartments in Montrose could break ground on a new phase later this year at 4343 Woodhead St., a filing shows.

Work on a project called Fairmont Museum District III is slated to begin Sept. 1, according to a document on Texas' licensing and regulation website.

The scope of work describes it as a 302-unit development with nine stories of apartments above a three-story garage. The leasing office will be on the ground floor, while amenities are planned for the fourth and 12th floors. The filing lists Houston-based Steinberg Dickey Collaborative as the design firm.

County appraisal records show the tract of land belongs to the entity Woodhead Development LLC, which bought the land in May 2018. In 2019, the land was appraised at $7.89 million.

That entity is linked to Josef Marom, according to the Texas comptroller site. Requests for comment from Marom via the number listed on the state filing weren’t immediately returned.

In 2003, the Houston Business Journal reported Marom offered the Houston Independent School District $2.6 million for a 3-acre tract at 4310 Dunlavy, the same address for the Fairmont Museum District apartments currently on the ground. That tract sits next to the land earmarked for the third phase.

Meanwhile, the Montrose submarket is the busiest area for proposed apartment projects, with 11, according to data as of Dec. 18 compiled by Houston-based ApartmentData.com. The research site tallied up 93 proposed communities across Houston. A March report from the site counts 61 communities, or 18,203 units, currently under construction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to Fairmont Museum District On Dunlavy: Phase III, 12-Stories
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, hindesky said:

I rode right by this last weekend, looks like very old decrepit apartments. They had already thrown out most of the interior junk on the lawn.

They were demolished this morning when I was going to Starbucks across the street.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

No offense to La Tapatia but I'd rather see new residential.  

That's not part of it, just the two small garden apartments and the abandoned street between them. I'm sure eventually that strip center will be bought by a developer and fixed up.

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

There is an empty lot next to the demoed apartments, no need to take out La Tapatia unless whoever owns them sold out.

t7Or0Kb.jpg

Based on the subdivision plat I posted back in 2016 the strip center containing La Tapatia will be demolished as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Another development that could potentially take advantage of the opt-in Transit Oriented Development standards.

Edit: my star is a little off. It should be shifted to the left part of the block, but still would apply if they go onto Richmond frontage. 

M9dzhUO.png

If they opt-in, they would  get a 50% reduction in the parking minimum requirement and they would have to follow some streetscape design guidelines. See the back half of this PDF if you want a refresher https://houstontx.gov/planning/docs_pdfs/User's Guide for WP and TOD report_2020-10-01.pdf

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, Texasota said:

It looks like Woodhead frontage will work too. It will be very interesting to see if the developer opts in. My head says they won't, but my heart says they will.

Agreed. Honestly, I wish they would just follow the streetscape guidelines and just build a slight reduction in parking just so I can have a project to point at, but I'm not really holding my breath. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 3:11 PM, hindesky said:

According to this sign this is phase 3, the apartments just east must have been phase 1 and I assume La Tapatia will be 2.

J0PJw5S.jpg

DEPUGBo.jpg

I think Phase 1 is the building on the right, and Phase 2 was the building on the left (closest to Richmond). Google Earth history shows the one on the left was built after the initial building and they have slightly different styles. 

• Like 2