The Heron Museum District: Multifamily High-Rise At 4343 Woodhead St.

jlt1988

To those asking about the apts on Dunlavy & Richmond (4310 Dunlavy - Fairmont Museum District Apts):

I currently live here and was told recently when moving in that the real estate developer would be waiting 2 years before doing anything with the empty lot in front of the building that faces Richmond. I do not know if this is true or not but it is what I was assured by management in regard to any new construction.

As for all the new move ins - I strongly recommend against moving here.

Peace.

can you give us some insight as to how many units are actually occupied? i've heard that they were having problems just renting the units and i also heard that nothing else will be built.

Edited by musicman

...and i also heard that nothing else will be built.

That sounds a little premature...at least I hope. That fugly empty lot right in front of the complex probably isn't a huge selling point - at this rate, it will probably remain that way for quite a while. It would definitely be nice to know how well they are leasing... I wouldn't be surprised if they are having a tough time considering the price and the amount of other new complexes in the general area (Alexan on Westheimer, Alexan Upper Kirby, the new apartments in Greenway)

I live close enough to have to pass it several times a day.

i don't know what percentage of units are occupied.. but I can tell you that every night, the entire west side of dunlavy from richmond to the dog park is occupied by occupant's/visitor's cars. I can tell you there is 1-2 moving vans a week at the loading dock on dunlavy.

One can see right into the open parking garage from the park, so it should be easy enough to glance and see what percentage of the garage is filled up with cars at night. I'll try to remember to do that on the way home, but it seems to me they are doing okay.

• 2 years later...

Lately I've seen workers doing what I assume are surveying and taking measurements (not too familiar with the development process) on what appears to be the phase 2 part (fronting RIchmond). Anyone hear about phase two starting up?

There were lots of cars parked on the phase 2 site today. I suspect and it is being used as an employee lot for the new HEB down the street, since there were fewer vehicles in the HEB lot.

• 4 months later...

A rig and crew were onsite taking soil core samples this morning on the empty Phase 2 property. I saw the rig operating in the Northeast corner of the property, close to the corner of Richmond and Dunlavy. Most of the property consists of the slabs from previous buildings, so perhaps this area was more easily accessible. Trucks were gone by the afternoon.

• 10 months later...

Site preparation began in earnest this week, with several excavators and other heavy machinery active on the property. A construction trailer has been set up at the back of the property closest to Woodhead. Phase 2 looks like it is finally getting underway. 

Edited by RocketSci
  • Like 1

That sounds a little premature...at least I hope. That fugly empty lot right in front of the complex probably isn't a huge selling point - at this rate, it will probably remain that way for quite a while. It would definitely be nice to know how well they are leasing... I wouldn't be surprised if they are having a tough time considering the price and the amount of other new complexes in the general area (Alexan on Westheimer, Alexan Upper Kirby, the new apartments in Greenway)

The quote above, from 2009, shows how much things have changed in four years. Back then, that number of apartments coming on the market was considered by some people to be a glut, but compared to what is coming on the market now, it feels like it was just a trickle. Edited by happytown

The quote above, from 2009, shows how much things have changed in four years. Back then, that number of apartments coming on the market was considered by some people to be a glut, but compared to what is coming on the market now, it feels like it was just a trickle.

Yeah, I'm certainly no expert in the market dynamics for new apartment construction.  That said, there are literally so many new announced projects coming up (or under construction) in Midtown/Montrose/Greenway it's hard to keep count now...  Quite a few new projects along Richmond Ave itself, even though the University Line seems indefinitely delayed

When the Andover property at 1301 Richmond was sold and almost immediately demolished for the new construction I asked about this vacant site at Richmond and Dunlavy. Well, here's my answer.

I could see the value for residents along Richmond who worked and shopped also somewhere near that rail line when it is completed (note my reserved optomism). In the meantime I find the #25 bus to be pretty useful terminating as it does at the Wheeler Avenue station where there is also a stop for the exisiting rail line.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Do y'all ever wonder how sustainable these buildings are? Will they look nice in 20 years? Are they truly quality buildings that will be an asset to Houston, or just another thing we will end up replacing.

My guess, it will be a mix of both. This one is debateable, but the ones that invest in quality materials will probably last alot longer than some of these cheaply made ones. As they are being built, It is hard for me to judge if the project is actually worth-while, or just 'eh'.

• Like 1

Do y'all ever wonder how sustainable these buildings are? Will they look nice in 20 years? Are they truly quality buildings that will be an asset to Houston, or just another thing we will end up replacing.

My guess, it will be a mix of both. This one is debateable, but the ones that invest in quality materials will probably last alot longer than some of these cheaply made ones. As they are being built, It is hard for me to judge if the project is actually worth-while, or just 'eh'.

It's not like these developers are thinking centuries ahead. in 30-40 years they could be replaced by something bigger.

It's not like these developers are thinking centuries ahead. in 30-40 years they could be replaced by something bigger.

The earliest examples of this style of development I can think of are Hanover's Sabine Lofts and Lofts at the Ballpark, they are about 15yrs old now and still in good shape. In fact, the ballpark lofts sold a few years ago - for the second time - at what was considered a pretty good price. As long as they are well maintained, sell every ten years or so, and the new owners keep updating, there is no reason they can't be in good shape in 40 years. Quality of construction and materials matters though. Post's Midtown Lofts had a bunch of issues with the EIFS getting water in - in that case they seem to have been properly remedied, but it may mean fewer updates in later years...

I like that turret at the corner of the building. Gives it a bit of character compared to the typical apartments I've seen going up lately.

12075209346_d2c4987538_c.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality. Snapped this sitting at the stoplight. 

• 4 months later...