The Real World: Houston

shinoda28107

Maybe this new "Houston High" on MTV can make up for Houston being skipped over every season for The Real World. I mean really.....Houston is the largest city in the country without having a "Real World" season. Plus.....the Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston metros are the largest in the country with out a "Real World".

MTV likes using cast members from Houston in The Real World and in many other reality shows. So why can't we get a season? It could certainly boost our city's image in the eyes of popular culture.

I'll admit, Austin was a great season and an ideal place to place "7 young strangers". I also know that since Austin, the chances of the show returining to Texas soon is really slim (but then again....they've been to Califorina 4 times, NY twice, and Florida twice), especially with other cities, such as Atlanta,Phoenix, Detroit, Portland, and D.C. seeking a season. MTV probably won't venture outside of the U.S. soon because of the Paris and London failures.

Anyways, what should happen?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'll entertain this concept..

First issue: Where would the cast live?

Second issue: Where would they work?

Third issue: Where would they "play"?

For what its worth, there hasn't been a Real World season shot in DFW, Atlanta, or Phoenix. I wouldn't think nothing of it until one of these were to get chosen over Houston.

Where would they stay? You REALLY trust MTV's producers to portray Houston as a hip-trendy city? When they did Austin, they made the house pink, and made it look like an 80's ZZ Top video. There's no way they'd want to make Houston's house look better than Hawaii, Miami, or New York.

If they REALLY wanted to portray Houston right, they'd live rither Uptown, Midtown, or Downtown. Perhaps even a house in Memorial that looked like a hip-hop video. Knowing MTV though, they'd stuff the 7 castmembers in a barn or something and call it modern-day Texas <_<

For what its worth, there hasn't been a Real World season shot in DFW, Atlanta, or Phoenix. I wouldn't think nothing of it until one of these were to get chosen over Houston.

First Issue: MTV tends to place the cast members in the trendiest part of town. In our case...either an Uptown condo, or somewhre in the Heights, Midtown, or Montrose.

Second Issue: Habitat for Humanity seems to epitomize Houston's charitable nature (think Katrina). Maybe if they were club promoters for the Westheimer strip...that seems cool.

Third Issue: I have always imagined any Uptown area...maybe by the time they come, the Pavilions Downtown will be a playground. In honesty...Houston has more to offer than we think.

Overall, I think that UT is the best place for most of the series to take place. Afterall it is a HUGE district (almost larger than DT Denver, where the current season is).

Enough with the "Why can't Houston Get (Host) One" garbage, already! Why are soooooooooooooo many people in this forum sooooooooooooooooo concerned about how many Superbowls, World Cups, Music Conventions, television shows, etc, etc. are in held in Houston? Seriously, to me it screams "Hey world look at us, please, please, please look at us. . .we're Houstonians, and we're cool too. . .please validate us!" Do you really think a "Real World Houston" is going to make any difference at all in outsiders' perception of this city?

Enough with the "Why can't Houston Get (Host) One" garbage, already! Why are soooooooooooooo many people in this forum sooooooooooooooooo concerned about how many Superbowls, World Cups, Music Conventions, television shows, etc, etc. are in held in Houston? Seriously, to me it screams "Hey world look at us, please, please, please look at us. . .we're Houstonians, and we're cool too. . .please validate us!" Do you really think a "Real World Houston" is going to make any difference at all in outsiders' perception of this city?

Of course.

Every city does this. As old and popular London is, they were mighty excited when they got the 2012 Olympics. Plus I wouldn't mind going to New York....or even Pittsburgh without having someone looking down on my hometown for being a country oil boom town in the south with corrupt business tycoons and loud mouth-big haired- provincial folk. We are nowhere near that and I would like to show the world. I'll admit that I want to hear someone from outside of Texas say, "I'm going on a vacation to Houston to enjoy....."

Look at Atlanta. They had the same type of reputation until they hosted to 1996 Olympics....now they enjoy higher regard than us. Any good publicity can boost the economy and could be that one factor that makes a major company decide to relocate here.

As stupid as MTV may be, they have a great deal of power in influencing America's 70 million teens/college students. And who ever has this demographic's attention, they have the attention of every economical power player in the better parts of world.

Media attention is not hardly about validation. But perception is important in today's world. My mother brags that she gets a lot of promotion and job offers because she looks like the best candidate before the interview.

Anyways, I can't imagine a proud Houstonian who wouldn't want to see their city featured in a popular series for a few months.

Even the Bible says to give credit where it is due......Houston doesn't have its due credit yet.

Where would they stay? You REALLY trust MTV's producers to portray Houston as a hip-trendy city? When they did Austin, they made the house pink, and made it look like an 80's ZZ Top video. There's no way they'd want to make Houston's house look better than Hawaii, Miami, or New York.

If they REALLY wanted to portray Houston right, they'd live rither Uptown, Midtown, or Downtown. Perhaps even a house in Memorial that looked like a hip-hop video. Knowing MTV though, they'd stuff the 7 castmembers in a barn or something and call it modern-day Texas <_<

Should have been called "Unreal World Austin" do you actually think they portrayed it accurately, or that they actually ever intended to?

RealWorldAustin.jpg

The only reality in this is the "Air Time" they wasted!

Yee-Hah!

Montrose area or around West, maybe Uptown, but that might be too sterile.

Music related, I can't think of anything, but maybe one of the numerous topless bars??? Might get good ratings.

Southbeach. . .Skybar. . .can't say.

They already did Houston...it was called "The Simple Life"...

What season or episode were Paris and Nicole in Houston? :unsure:

Should have been called "Unreal World Austin" do you actually think they portrayed it accurately, or that they actually ever intended to?

RealWorldAustin.jpg

The only reality in this is the "Air Time" they wasted!

Yee-Hah!

Yeah. The promos were a little stereotypical in the portrayal of Austin. But the show itself was great. In fact, Austin has a growing positive reputation, the show sure did help.

I thnk the cast would get the same treatment they did in Austin from locals - but hey, this is Texas. The only city in which I could see this show having the best success, in Texas, would be San Antonio.

As for Uptown, someone said sterile, and I agree with that assessment. The same goes for the Heights. Nothing is happening in the Heights related to this show. With that said, I think the only real options left are Montrose or Rice Village. The producers are going to want a location where they can come and go with easy access for all their film equipment so a highrise condo Downtown, Midtown, or even Uptown is out. Plus, from the few episodes over various seasons I've seen, they like to get good elevated panning shots of the house using cranes. AND, most locations have been free-standing structures. This makes Montrose or Rice Village an easy & obvious choice.

If using the Montrose/Rice Village location, either will put them close to potential work & play. With Montrose they could work anywhere from the greater Montrose/Museum district east to Downtown or west along Westheimer to Uptown. In the Village they could work anywhere in the Village, east to the Med Center, or north to Montrose or Downtown.

The same goes for the "play" catagory. All the best bars/lounges/clubs & restaurants are in these two districts. You can go either way.

Could you point us in the direction of the study, surveys, or other statistical data that support your statement? Thanks in advance.

I do not believe that you need statistical proof of Austin's growing popularity (post-rr). If I am the only one who notices how much more often the city recieves mention in the national media and travel promos, then I am paying attention to the wrong sources.

I thnk the cast would get the same treatment they did in Austin from locals - but hey, this is Texas. The only city in which I could see this show having the best success, in Texas, would be San Antonio.

If using the Montrose/Rice Village location, either will put them close to potential work & play. With Montrose they could work anywhere from the greater Montrose/Museum district east to Downtown or west along Westheimer to Uptown. In the Village they could work anywhere in the Village, east to the Med Center, or north to Montrose or Downtown.

The same goes for the "play" catagory. All the best bars/lounges/clubs & restaurants are in these two districts. You can go either way.

Great points. Now that I think about it....TMC wouldn't be a bad place for them to work. Maybe something at Texas Children's Hospital.

do we even want a 'real world'?

The only thing good about it is that it will just bring some sort of attention to Houston in the media, but will still be overshadoes by "negative" activities, since the show in the last 9 or 10 iterations have the cast getting into fights, getting extremely drunk, and having casual sex with each other.

As for Uptown, someone said sterile, and I agree with that assessment. The same goes for the Heights. Nothing is happening in the Heights related to this show. With that said, I think the only real options left are Montrose or Rice Village.

I forgot about Rice Village, and it does have a decent club/bar scene, expecially with Rice University students nearby, it will help with the general target demographics the producers want to display on television and sell to advertisers.

For once, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

BTW, it may go without saying, but 'Real World' is anything but 'cool'. It is faux cool, watched by tragically uncool people. Really 'cool' people would hardly want this waste of airspace to invade their 'hip' neighborhood.

But, then again, maybe that's why some want it to come to Houston.

The only thing good about it is that it will just bring some sort of attention to Houston in the media, but will still be overshadoes by "negative" activities, since the show in the last 9 or 10 iterations have the cast getting into fights, getting extremely drunk, and having casual sex with each other.

That type of behavior would probably attract more potential college students & young professionals who would most likely never otherwise consider moving to a place like Houston.

I do not believe that you need statistical proof of Austin's growing popularity (post-rr). If I am the only one who notices how much more often the city recieves mention in the national media and travel promos, then I am paying attention to the wrong sources.

What you're stating here is a bit different from the portion of your earlier comment that I quoted and responded to. Your statement that I quoted in post #16 seemed to suggest that Austin's growing popularity was strengthened due to the "Real World Austin." In the statement above, you just state that Austin has a growing popular image. You and I agree on that much. However, I disagree with you that the series "The Real World Austin" helped make Austin popular. IMHO, Austin was already popular. . .which is why there was ever a "Real World Austin" to begin with.

Do you really think a "Real World Houston" is going to make any difference at all in outsiders' perception of this city?

I think for the amount of people and the amount of places we have to offer, the media just ignores us.

I mean, movie wise, New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles all have "fictional" stories that showcase the town, especially in movies like romantic comedies.

I can only think of Urban Cowbay (Pasedena), Robocop (Houston), and some persian movie about Omar Khayyam; whereas other cities have countless movies about them.

Is there a definitive list of movies/shows that take place in Houston.

If we only have like a dozen or less, than we have a problem, because it just means that people think Houston is too boring to be the setting of a movie, which could be the reason why television shows are a rarity too.

Update:

I forgot about that Animal Planet show about the Houston Animal Cops

What you're stating here is a bit different from the portion of your earlier comment that I quoted and responded to. Your statement that I quoted in post # seemed to suggest that Austin's growing popularity was strengthened due to the "Real World Austin." In the statement above, you just state that Austin has a growing popular image. You and I agree on that much. However, I disagree with you that the series "The Real World Austin" helped make Austin popular. IMHO, Austin was already popular. . .which is why there was ever a "Real World Austin" to begin with.

I didn't say that the Real World made the city popular; I said that it helped with its growing reputation. Though I still believe that the show has opened more doors for Austin's image, I agree with you that Austin was already popular.

Wikipedia has a nice list. But some of those aren't worth mentioning.

I just saw it, lots of low budget flicks.

Even still, eventually all the larger cities will get exhausted and Houston will have to get picked, although I will assume that Dallas or San Antonio may still come before us, especially because of the aforementioned, "Houston High", will already take some of the reasons away from us getting it.

I think it would be a great idea for MTV to choose Houston for a season. There are many clubs and hangouts for the cast. plus I'm pretty sure they will find the cast a sweet pad to live in. Houston is a first class city. We should have got a season before Austin did. I think we can get a season here after about 2 more seasons premier. They'll finally decide Houston is a great spot for 7 strangers.

Archived