The square windows on Cougar Village 2 remind me of the Federal Building downtown.  Yikes! 

The former architecture critic (Ann Holmes) of the Chronicle always held out hope that the downtown monstrosity might be remodeled to have a less creepy facade.  Alas, it wasn't to be.  Instead, it seems to have procreated ...

Could that be related to a difference in the internal layouts of those floors?

Maybe, but I doubt it. The 3rd and 5th floor rooms in CV1 are the same as the rest of the rooms as far as I know, with two small windows instead of one big one. For the rooms, at least the ones I've been in, there's a bed on each side with the window(s) in the middle.

Thanks for the updates Golyadkin! Do you live on campus?

Nope. Just on campus almost everyday for classes.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like ANOTHER new building as been proposed for the campus. They seem like they are still trying to raise the funds to get this one going.

CWBuXHw.jpg

This one is going to be for the engineering college and will sit where the old Engineering Societies warehouse (that old WW1-era rusted out hanger thing they tore down last year) was:

nygADYE.jpg

Here's UH's webpage describing it:
http://www.egr.uh.edu/newbuilding'>http://www.egr.uh.edu/newbuilding

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm guessing this is going to replace the old abandoned gas station at S McGregor and Calhoun?

Looks like it. The article says it's at that intersection and that two apartment complexes and the gas station will be torn down to build it.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=29.711053,-95.342341&spn=0.001786,0.002411&t=h&z=19'>Right here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The retail center will have the following tenants from left to right:

The nook cafe (my coffee shop)

Brown bag deli, or which wich, can't remember, it's a toasted sandwich place though.

Pinks pizza

Cafe 101

On the roof will be a bar, they haven't announced anything, but I think it's going to be called Calhoun Rooftop.

• Like 3

This last pic of Cougar Village makes it easy to see what an earlier poster mentioned:  one can already see black streaks running down the masonry facade from the roof line down past the top row of windows.  Poor design or poor craftsmanship?  I hope they address this rather than just letting it get worse.

Having some of the landscaping in the pic's foreground does soften the austere facade somewhat.  Hopefully, as the vegetation grows, it will help even more.

Edited by ArchFan

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...