New developments on the University of Houston campus

• Please log in to reply
825 replies to this topic

#661 Triton

Triton
  • 2017 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM

My buddy had a trailer barbeque put stolen a few years back. There was video evidence, am eye witness and the guy who sole it still lived there. Nothing ever happened

Yup. That's how it goes. Oh well, looks like Khator is stepping up on some of the security on campus. Maybe that will help out cause I've talked to quite a few people who are second guessing about coming to UH now who either currently aren't in college yet or are either at HCC or UH-D. Really don't want that to happen :S

Edited by Triton, Friday, November 16, 2012 at 2:48 PM.

University of Houston

#662 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 452 posts
  • HAIFing from West Loop.

Posted Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Patrols have visibly increased in the past few years, and they built those little watch tower things in the parking lots so they are making at least a bit of an effort, but really they need to update security across the whole campus. Working security cameras and more than 1 cop for every 800 students would be nice. I also see "out of order" signs on those little emergency call stations way more than I would like to feel safe.

#663 Texasota

Texasota
  • 692 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Ultimately, increasing the number of students housed on campus will help as well. Just having lots of people out walking throughout the day should help curb crimes of opportunity. That being said, this is a large campus, and it doesn't seems like we have any more crime than any other university I've attended. When I was at the University of Minnesota we had a couple of robberies at gunpoint in faculty members' own offices.

#664 fatesdisastr

fatesdisastr
  • 962 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM

There was another UH robbery a day or two ago. In my opinion, UH has a lot more crime than I think most universities face.

My only other time outside of UH at a major university was at Texas Tech and we rarely got news of robberies and violence on campus. It seems as if UH sends out at least biweekly emails about these issues. Maybe UH is more informative that TTU was about these issues but I find myself always looking over my shoulder on campus because of the amount of crime. It is a serious serious issue that needs more funding and surveillance than I have seen.

Millions and millions of student tuition funding is going to new stadiums and buildings but a student can't feel safe on campus. Such a shame.

The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but to have only the law of nature for his rule.  -Samuel Adams

#665 Fortune

Fortune
  • 389 posts

Posted Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

University of Houston doesn't have anymore crime than the majority of other universities.

#666 KinkaidAlum

KinkaidAlum
  • 2990 posts
  • HAIFing from No longer in Texas.

Posted Monday, November 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Yep, UH actually has LESS crime than UT and ATM. That said, the crime at UT and ATM is more student-on-student crime (date rape, dorm theft, bike theft, etc...) whereas UH's is more random (car thefts and break ins and the recent wave of violent crime committed by people NOT affiliated with the school.

I attended UH for grad school and never had an issue with crime.

#667 Fringe

Fringe
  • 2024 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM

There's a reason the UH president lives by Rice and not UH.

#668 kbates2

kbates2
  • 299 posts
  • HAIFing from Inner Loop.

Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Because that is the location of the house that was donated?

#669 Fortune

Fortune
  • 389 posts

Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM

There's a reason the UH president lives by Rice and not UH.

Which has nothing to do with crime.

#670 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 452 posts

Posted Thursday, November 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM

It's not just UH:
http://www.chron.com...bus-4058861.php

#671 lockmat

lockmat

Jesus Christ, who takes away the sins of the world

• 9078 posts
  • HAIFing from Deep in the heart of Texas.
  •  

Posted Thursday, November 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

It seems like a&m has an active shooter or someone walking around with a gun every other month.
  • "You know, the vehicle to improve the American city is the American corporation-that's where the money is." - Gerald D. Hines
  • "mixed-use only works if the retail component could stand alone." - paraphrase of Dinerstein Cos president Brian Dinerstein [Bisnow]
  • "apartments usually work where retail does but vice versa isn’t always true." - paraphrase of Hines director Kevin Batchelor [Bisnow]
  • Houston Developments Map (Last Updated on 4/23/13)

#672 fatesdisastr

fatesdisastr
  • 962 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 2:45 AM

I noticed today that over the Thanksgiving break they installed the light rails across Cullen. Glad to know they were able to take advantage of the low volume traffic during those school days off.

The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but to have only the law of nature for his rule.  -Samuel Adams

#673 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 452 posts

Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Actually they installed those over a weekend about two weeks before Thanksgiving break. They closed Cullen late Friday afternoon and reopened it Monday morning.

#674 fatesdisastr

fatesdisastr
  • 962 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Actually they installed those over a weekend about two weeks before Thanksgiving break. They closed Cullen late Friday afternoon and reopened it Monday morning.

Well then I stand corrected good sir. I do go that way every now and then and assumed they used the break to do it. They seem to be pretty rough, I guess they will fix that later on?

#675 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 452 posts

Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I hope they take the opportunity with everyone already expecting a bunch of construction issues to just repave Cullen entirely. It's one of the worst roads in the city.

#676 fatesdisastr

fatesdisastr
  • 962 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I hope they take the opportunity with everyone already expecting a bunch of construction issues to just repave Cullen entirely. It's one of the worst roads in the city.

I concur. I feel bad for my car every time I drive down it.

#677 KinkaidAlum

KinkaidAlum
  • 2990 posts

Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM

The house on South Blvd. was built by Isla Carroll Turner and later sold to the Cullen family. The Cullens donated the house to the University as a permanent residence for the Chancellor of the UH system that includes UH, UHD, UHCL, and UHV.

#678 kbates2

kbates2
  • 299 posts

Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 8:31 AM

False. " The Sterling Mansion was built by Frank P. Sterling in 1925. It was donated to the Museum of Fine Arts in 1948, but was then sold to Gus Wortham in 1951. Lyndall Wortham bequeathed the house to the University of Houstonon her death in July 1980 to be used as a residence for the University President. This building is now named Wortham House. - 3612 Parkwood, Houston, TX 77021" - Wikipedia

#679 Enrique Vasquez

Enrique Vasquez
  • 3 posts

Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I feel bad for the students, but if its not ONE reason... its ANOTHER!

http://houston.cultu...student-spaces/

#680 KinkaidAlum

KinkaidAlum
  • 2990 posts

Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM

False. " The Sterling Mansion was built by Frank P. Sterling in 1925. It was donated to the Museum of Fine Arts in 1948, but was then sold to Gus Wortham in 1951. Lyndall Wortham bequeathed the house to the University of Houstonon her death in July 1980 to be used as a residence for the University President. This building is now named Wortham House. - 3612 Parkwood, Houston, TX 77021" - Wikipedia

Kinda false. I got the Cullen and Wortham families mixed up. That said, Isla Carroll built that house. She was Frank Sterling's wife and she and her daughter went on to build several well-known Houston area houses while their husbands got the credit.

#681 CougarRed

CougarRed
  • 7 posts

Posted Friday, November 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Pursuant to a press release today, the demolition project for Robertson will begin December 2. The first week will be dedicated to fencing and preparing the stadium for demolition. Major demolition activity begins on December 10 and should last 6-8 weeks.

A stadium webcam has been set up.

#682 Original Timmy Chan's

Original Timmy Chan's
  • 1577 posts

Posted Friday, November 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM

A stadium webcam has been set up.

Pretty cool timelapse movie feature on it, too.

http://www.earthcam....houstonstadium/

#683 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 452 posts

Posted Friday, November 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I noticed today when I walked by the stadium that someone spray painted some graffiti on the upper walls of both sides.

#684 Triton

Triton
  • 2017 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Third Ward represent?

University of Houston

#685 bluecar(a.f.f.)

bluecar(a.f.f.)
  • 40 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Have renderings of the new stadium been released yet? I read that it will be similar to Allianz Arena...?
"I see the task of architecture as the defense of the authenticity of human experience."
Juhani Pallasmaa, Encounters

#686 bluecar(a.f.f.)

bluecar(a.f.f.)
  • 40 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Nvm, found this early rendering a page back on this thread:
Posted Image

Situated so close to the parking garage feels awkward to me, especially since the two structures don't relate architecturally. But the parking is probably more efficient as shown :/

Edited by bluecar(a.f.f.), Monday, December 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM.

"I see the task of architecture as the defense of the authenticity of human experience."
Juhani Pallasmaa, Encounters

#687 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 452 posts

Posted Monday, December 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM

The only thing about it being so close to parking that is awkward to me is there doesn't appear to be even so much as a covered walkway between them. I just feel like there should be some kind of connection between the two structures for some reason.

#688 KinkaidAlum

KinkaidAlum
  • 2990 posts

Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 12:41 AM

There's going to be a "grove" built between the garage and the new stadium. They hope that tailgating will take place on the grass and under the trees.

The long term plan calls for closing Cullen near the baseball stadium and connecting the "stadium grove" to the rest of the campus.

Additionally, the "grove" will offer seating for the food places on the ground floor of the garage once built.

#689 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 452 posts

Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I knew they have been planning to close Cullen, just not how far down or what exactly would be done with it. Any ideas on a timeline for that? It may explain why they haven't attempted anything even vaguely resembling maintenance on that road for a long time now. ;)

#690 kbates2

kbates2
  • 299 posts

Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

With the construction of the new FB stadium going on at the same time as the light rail, they decided to hold off on closing Cullen. They also plan to do significant renovations to Hofheinz soon, so that could hold it off as well. I would think that the earliest that they will close Cullen would be 2016. If that were the case, we would only have 3 or 4 more years of wear and tear on that street with heavy construction vehicles running down it. Should be in really great shape by that time.