825 replies to this topic

#631 TheNiche

TheNiche
  • Castaway
  • 14102 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I'm impressed. Finally someone on here doing something and not just moaning about how horrible Houston is. Good Luck.

http://youtu.be/ZCVR_ajL_Eo

#632 Bombero451

Bombero451
  • 36 posts
  • HAIFing from Chicago.

Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Not technically owned by, or on UH property, but it's surrounded by UH property.

The developer received their final permitting and started turning dirt on this site for a small strip center.

https://maps.google....001635&t=h&z=20

The really exciting part (for me, and hopefully for anyone at UH, and even East Enders) is my friend and I signed a lease for a portion of the space and will be opening a coffee shop at the location! We're targeting July of next year as our opening date.

I'll be snapping some pictures of it this weekend!

Excellent and good luck!

I think that area may have been where the old Chia Star was located, or maybe it's where the parking garage is now.

#633 totheskies

totheskies
  • 861 posts
  • HAIFing from Montrose.

Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Not technically owned by, or on UH property, but it's surrounded by UH property.

The developer received their final permitting and started turning dirt on this site for a small strip center.

The really exciting part (for me, and hopefully for anyone at UH, and even East Enders) is my friend and I signed a lease for a portion of the space and will be opening a coffee shop at the location! We're targeting July of next year as our opening date.

I'll be snapping some pictures of it this weekend!

Exciting indeed!!

A quick pointer to keep steady business... I work at UH and use the Campus Rec gym.

If you can serve smoothies and be open around the gym times, I think it would be a great move. Smoothie King's hours are really fishy, and they need some competition anyway.

But even if you can't, the more options we have on/near UH Campus, the better. It has swelled now to over 40,000 students, and when you throw in faculy and staff, our daytime population is right around 50k people. Congrats on the bold venture!!
Loving the Big H

#634 TheNiche

TheNiche
  • Castaway
  • 14102 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM

But even if you can't, the more options we have on/near UH Campus, the better. It has swelled now to over 40,000 students, and when you throw in faculy and staff, our daytime population is right around 50k people. Congrats on the bold venture!!

Does the idea of 'daytime population' as it is applied to urban areas and business districts apply with validity to a university campus? Many students and professors are only there some of the day for twice a week. Many of the staff are part-time, too.

#635 kdog08

kdog08
  • 507 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Does the idea of 'daytime population' as it is applied to urban areas and business districts apply with validity to a university campus? Many students and professors are only there some of the day for twice a week. Many of the staff are part-time, too.

Is "many" the correct term of use...? I ask because I always thought most major campuses, that wasn't the case.

#636 Texasota

Texasota
  • 703 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM

As an arch student, may i suggest that you stay open 24hrs? I'm pretty sure we can keep you in business...

#637 texas911

texas911
  • 731 posts

Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I hope it looks better than Lovette's horrendously out of place strip center.

https://maps.google....329.92,,0,-0.06
Wuppie.

#638 fatesdisastr

fatesdisastr
  • 967 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Insperity Center opened on Monday, I got a few nice shots of the lobby and elevators

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but to have only the law of nature for his rule.  -Samuel Adams

#639 infinite_jim

infinite_jim
  • 1182 posts
  • HAIFing from Downtown.

Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I think a pizza hut used to be located here.

Architecture should have a responsibility to speak to the strengths of humankind, in the same way that men should have a responsibility to other men. In this way, architecture plays a moral role in our life. It is not just a protection, but an inspiration. - Tadao Ando

#640 samagon

samagon
  • 2558 posts
  • HAIFing from East End.

Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I think a pizza hut used to be located here.

yeah, it was a pizza hut way back when, it's 'china star' now. Cheap chinese food. I haven't tried it, although I bet I will venture over there at some point during my new adventure :)

our hours aren't set in stone, but we absolutely will be opening early enough for people to stop by before class, and late enough for people to study into the night in a relaxed atmosphere. probably like 11 on weeknights, and 2am on weekends.

Perhaps Washington Ave gets infected with a zombie plague, but nobody notices any difference between the before and after zombification.

#641 totheskies

totheskies
  • 861 posts
  • HAIFing from Montrose.

Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM

yeah, it was a pizza hut way back when, it's 'china star' now. Cheap chinese food. I haven't tried it, although I bet I will venture over there at some point during my new adventure :)

our hours aren't set in stone, but we absolutely will be opening early enough for people to stop by before class, and late enough for people to study into the night in a relaxed atmosphere. probably like 11 on weeknights, and 2am on weekends.

Very cool! Keep me posted... I know lots of frat guys and music majors!
Loving the Big H

#642 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 454 posts
  • HAIFing from West Loop.

Posted Wednesday, October 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I just ate at the new Cougar Woods dining hall. It's REALLY nice. And while I was leaving and looking at the work that was done and is being done in the area, it hit me exactly what they are doing with the parking lot I mentioned earlier. They aren't changing the entrance to the lot to make it fit better, they are putting in a road that connects from the Cougar Pl./Cullen intersection around between the dining hall the the Quad down to the currently dead end bit of Wheeler there.
You can see they put in one side of the road that goes past the dining hall in the top of this picture:
Posted Image

#643 Triton

Triton
  • 2095 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Wednesday, October 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM

^ exactly. It's quite clear they plan on connecting the two roads. It's probably part of UofH's master plan to have an internal bus route going through the campus. Either way, makes a lot more sense than just have a random dead end.

As for the dining hall, I'm mixed. Seems like too much white color on the interior for me. Besides that, it seems really nice and I bet it's going to get really packed when they open up that new housing project across the street.

Edited by Triton, Wednesday, October 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM.

University of Houston

#644 RedScare

RedScare
  • 13712 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Wednesday, October 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Congrats, Samagon. Let us know when you get open, and we'll plan a HAIF Coffee Hour over there. I know we normally only hit bars, but we'll make an exception for you.

#645 Simbha

Simbha
  • 443 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I spent an hour and a half circling campus in the ridiculous heat getting these pictures. I REALLY hope it cools down by the next time I go around and take another set. :P

Insperity Center (yes, that's what the new business building is going to be called http://swamplot.com/...ner/2012-08-31/):
Posted Image

It is my understanding that the building itself will NOT be named "Insperity Center"; instead, an institute within the building will be named the Insperity Center, and the building will retain the official name of the Bauer Classroom Building.

Having said that, I believe the exterior of the building - in the relevant area outside the formal Insperity Center - will have lettering stating "Insperity Center," so this may be a moot point since the students may just call it the Insperity Center anyway.

#646 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 454 posts

Posted Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM

They put up a map of the new road that I mentioned in an earlier post:
Posted Image

I think you're right about the Insperity Center. The official name of the building seems to be "Bauer Classroom and Business Building."

#647 fatesdisastr

fatesdisastr
  • 967 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM

The bulldozers have finally broken into the UC underground.

Posted Image

The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but to have only the law of nature for his rule.  -Samuel Adams

#648 CougarRed

CougarRed
  • 7 posts

Posted Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Renderings of the new football stadium:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#649 'Stonian

'Stonian
  • 179 posts

Posted Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I love the new orientation of the stadium as it takes advantage of downtown's "Skyline" view! Need a better rendering of the exterior facade to make a judgement call. It looks to be another "breathable" metal exterior in the same vein as Dynamo Stadium. If so, that scares me. I'm certain it reduces costs but college football stadiums are built to last 50 plus years and I worry if a super modern look will be outdated in 10 years, but I'll withhold judgement until a more detailed rendering is available.

Thanks for posting!

Edited by HOUSTONIAN (N-ATL), Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 8:32 PM.

#650 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 454 posts

Posted Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Please tell me it isn't pointing in that direction. The great thing about Robertson is that it was oriented to see the downtown skyline over the north end of the field. This would have it pointing off toward Memorial Park. That's a GORGEOUS stadium and I absolutely love it, but I was hoping that it would still be oriented to face downtown.

Where'd you get these images?

Edited by Golyadkin, Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM.

#651 Texasota

Texasota
  • 703 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I like it, but i wish there werent a parking lot between the stadium and Cullen.

#652 CougarRed

CougarRed
  • 7 posts

Posted Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Please tell me it isn't pointing in that direction. The great thing about Robertson is that it was oriented to see the downtown skyline over the north end of the field. This would have it pointing off toward Memorial Park. That's a GORGEOUS stadium and I absolutely love it, but I was hoping that it would still be oriented to face downtown.

Where'd you get these images?

The field runs WNW to ESE. If it were a clock, the stadium runs on the 10:00-4:00 line. I have posted a true north map below. On that map below, downtown is NW. So the opening in the stadium allows the HOME stands and some of the Cullen end zone stands to have the skyline view.

I got the images from a document that UH released today. They've since pulled the document down. But I took screenshots.

Posted Image

#653 CougarRed

CougarRed
  • 7 posts

Posted Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 10:21 PM

By the way, the stands are right on top of the field. You can't build stands any closer to the field than that. I love that.

The suite level/club level will be build in the middle of the home stands like TCU just built. Closer to the field than if we put them at the top of the home stands. And easier to access.

The lower bowl will be built below grade. It will have 25-28 rows. The main concourse will be about 5 feet above ground level.

The main concourse will have an unobstructed view of the field. Like Rice Stadium or Minute Maid. The concessions/restrooms will be built into the walls of the structure behind the concourse.

#654 TheNiche

TheNiche
  • Castaway
  • 14102 posts
  • HAIFing from none.
  •  

Posted Thursday, November 8, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I'm certain it reduces costs but college football stadiums are built to last 50 plus years and I worry if a super modern look will be outdated in 10 years, but I'll withhold judgement until a more detailed rendering is available.

It probably will look dated in 10 years. But then, it might look super-cool in 30 or 40 years, right before it gets torn down, presuming that it hasn't already been extensively remodeled into something bland and inoffensive.

#655 Triton

Triton
  • 2095 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Friday, November 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I like it, but i wish there werent a parking lot between the stadium and Cullen.

They are leaving that there for the faculty. It will be replaced with a building much later down the line.

University of Houston

#656 lockmat

lockmat

Jesus Christ, who takes away the sins of the world

• 9099 posts
  • HAIFing from Deep in the heart of Texas.
  •  

Posted Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM

UH is blowin up! According to bidclerk.com, a Taco Bell will be built at 3349 Adair St.
  • "You know, the vehicle to improve the American city is the American corporation-that's where the money is." - Gerald D. Hines
  • "mixed-use only works if the retail component could stand alone." - paraphrase of Dinerstein Cos president Brian Dinerstein [Bisnow]
  • "apartments usually work where retail does but vice versa isn’t always true." - paraphrase of Hines director Kevin Batchelor [Bisnow]
  • Houston Developments Map (Last Updated on 4/23/13)

#657 Golyadkin

Golyadkin
  • 454 posts

Posted Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Hooray! One that isn't on campus! Now Coke won't have a hold over it and I can get my Baja Blast.

#658 Triton

Triton
  • 2095 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 6:24 PM

*begin rant*

Not if you get shot over there. You know what, this wave of crime on campus is starting to get more and more annoying. I'm not even worried! It's just a clear annoyance. UHPD has always been known to be a joke. I've lost a bike there and tons of other people I know have had things stolen there as well. Am I saying that UHPD should be able to stop all crime? Absolutely not... but I have always considered UHPD to be a false sense of security. I had a camera pointing right at my bike the day it was stolen. What did UHPD say? Oh, that camera hasn't worked in years. YEARS?! That camera is just there for show. And I hope all this crime is a wake up call for UHPD to get their act together cause just like the gunman last night, this stuff is making headline news! And who's going to want to go to a school where there are people getting robbed literally every week for the past month or so?

University of Houston

#659 fatesdisastr

fatesdisastr
  • 967 posts
  • HAIFing from none.

Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 at 4:09 AM

*begin rant*

Not if you get shot over there. You know what, this wave of crime on campus is starting to get more and more annoying. I'm not even worried! It's just a clear annoyance. UHPD has always been known to be a joke. I've lost a bike there and tons of other people I know have had things stolen there as well. Am I saying that UHPD should be able to stop all crime? Absolutely not... but I have always considered UHPD to be a false sense of security. I had a camera pointing right at my bike the day it was stolen. What did UHPD say? Oh, that camera hasn't worked in years. YEARS?! That camera is just there for show. And I hope all this crime is a wake up call for UHPD to get their act together cause just like the gunman last night, this stuff is making headline news! And who's going to want to go to a school where there are people getting robbed literally every week for the past month or so?

Um...Yeeaahh about that
Posted Image

#660 kbates2

kbates2
  • 309 posts
  • HAIFing from Inner Loop.

Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 at 7:48 AM

My buddy had a trailer barbeque put stolen a few years back. There was video evidence, am eye witness and the guy who sole it still lived there. Nothing ever happened