• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow amazing stuff they have planned. I know the quads are not that special but I do like some of the older architecture that they provide. It will be amazing to see all this happen too bad I only have two more years left.

So sad that they are planning to tear down the original Quad dorms. I think they could easily repurpose them and offer them as a less-expensive option than Cougar Village/Cougar Place. The arms race at colleges is getting down right ridiculous. The new dorms at UH are so much nicer than those I saw at Rollins, Eckerd, USC, Claremont-McKenna, Loyola Marymount, Pepperdine, and a few other schools I just took my nephew to on his college search.

• Like 1

So sad that they are planning to tear down the original Quad dorms. I think they could easily repurpose them and offer them as a less-expensive option than Cougar Village/Cougar Place. The arms race at colleges is getting down right ridiculous. The new dorms at UH are so much nicer than those I saw at Rollins, Eckerd, USC, Claremont-McKenna, Loyola Marymount, Pepperdine, and a few other schools I just took my nephew to on his college search.

I think UH has to have nicer dorms to attract students, whereas other schools may not.  My daughter is at UT and Jester, is still well...Jester.  Not much has changed since my husband and I were there in the 80's....Private dorms/housing is pretty nice, though.  Our son will be at Stanford in the fall...the dorms are are not "nice" there either....I live near UH and love what it is doing to transform/rebrand itself into an top tier public urban campus, in terms of academics and facilities.  "Go Coogs"!

• Like 3

I love what is happening at UH as well. However, the arms race is coming at a price. The new dorms are not cheap. Moody and the Quad are relatively more affordable than Village/Lofts but not much. The plans to replace the quads include "townhomes" and I have to imagine that those will cost a pretty penny. 

They are?? Was that discussed in this thread?

Glad I graduated A&M when I did because its getting worse there -.- Because students totally deserved to live with luxury furnishings... Gotta have that granite counter top!

Glad I graduated A&M when I did because its getting worse there -.- Because students totally deserved to live with luxury furnishings... Gotta have that granite counter top!

If your dorm has a granite counter top, you're doing it wrong - ramen doesn't need granite

The new 2020 plan is out and it calls for tearing down the Quads. In their place will be "townhomes" and another larger dorm. 

The crazy thing about UH now is that despite having a beautiful new(ish) REC Center, every new dorm also has small workout rooms. It just seems like overkill. Is it too hard to walk across campus to jump on an elliptical machine? 

And yes, the Calhoun Lofts come with granite countertops, stainless kitchens, and even a killer roof plaza (the views from there are sick). The lofts were original geared towards PhD/Masters level students but have since been opened up to older undergrads as well. 

• Like 1

Granite countertops? That would probably appall one of my former co-workers, who lived in an un-airconditioned dorm when he attended A&M.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

150px-Logo_of_University_of_Houston_Athl

i simply commend the way that the university of houston goes about implementing their redevelopment / facilities projects.  this collegiate institution does not play around, when it comes planning and reconstructing it's dilapidated edifices.  the university of texas, has more money than GOD.  and yet, it is seemingly taking forever, for our new renderings / concepts to come forward, as per the new DKR SEZ / moncrief neuhaus athletics facilities... reconstruction / renovations / new additions... you name it, it's all coming.  the university of texas, just incorporates so very many political aspects to every thing that it does.  whereby the university of houston, just pulls ahead, and gets it done.  upon this aforementioned UH HOFHEINZ project, i wish that they proceed with option #3.  tillman fertitta, should be called upon, to give / donate till it hurts.  UofH deserves it... the cougars just seem to get it!  

• Like 1

150px-Logo_of_University_of_Houston_Athl

i simply commend the way that the university of houston goes about implementing their redevelopment / facilities projects.  this collegiate institution does not play around, when it comes planning and reconstructing it's dilapidated edifices.  the university of texas, has more money than GOD.  and yet, it is seemingly taking forever, for our new renderings / concepts to come forward, as per the new DKR SEZ / moncrief neuhaus athletics facilities... reconstruction / renovations / new additions... you name it, it's all coming.  the university of texas, just incorporates so very many political aspects to every thing that it does.  whereby the university of houston, just pulls ahead, and gets it done.  upon this aforementioned UH HOFHEINZ project, i wish that they proceed with option #3.  tillman fertitta, should be called upon, to give / donate till it hurts.  UofH deserves it... the cougars just seem to get it!  

We as a city/metro need to do more to aid our higher education as that's the real big thing we lack in. Houston should really strive to make UH the third Texas flagship university (quite frankly we need a major university in each region) as it could really change the landscape of Houston. 

• Like 6