On 2/2/2021 at 2:58 PM, samagon said:

I'm not keeping track, but is this going to be more tower cranes on UH than in downtown?

They're fencing off the plaza area behind Cougar Village and they just fenced off a building near the Quad. A gentleman holding a stop sign on Cullen said the Cullen project is a three year project. And still Moody stands. This building should've been replaced a looooooong time ago.

• Like 1

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/UH-College-of-Medicine-joins-Texas-Medical-Center-15940840.php

UH College of Medicine joins Texas Medical Center

The University of Houston College of Medicine has become the Texas Medical Center’s 63rd member institution, according to a university release.

The new partnership is a gain for UH’s medical school, the first new medical institution in Houston in nearly 50 years.

The College of Medicine, which welcomed its inaugural class of 30 students in the fall, has emphasized its goal of aiding underserved communities and addressing a shortage of primary care physicians throughout Houston and greater Texas. TMC’s network, which sees more than 10 million patients a year, is home to MD Anderson Cancer Center and Texas Children’s Hospital, the largest children’s hospital in the world.

“We are elated to join the Texas Medical Center as a member institution and look forward to engaging with colleagues at other institutions to advance clinical issues and best practices, and further joint research endeavors,” said Dr. Stephen Spann, founding dean of the medical school.

Spann, who also recently joined TMC’s advisory board, said the medical school can assist with the coronavirus pandemic. “The tragedy of the COVID-19 pandemic has paradoxically produced an opportunity to address larger issues facing our health care systems, such as health equity,” he said. “Together with our TMC partners, we can help be part of the solution.”

As a member institution, the medical school will also have the opportunity to collaborate with TMC’s University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Baylor College of Medicine, the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston and Texas A&M College of Medicine.

The medical school continues to expand its services and initiatives. Last semester, the college virtually launched a Household-Centered Care program, which teams social workers with healthcare professionals to create a network to aid communities in hopes of improving their health. And more recently the college announced its use of Unite Us, a newly launched electronic platform that provides a network of resources, partners and service providers for patients.

A new building for the college is under construction on the campus and is slated to open next summer. The three-story, 130,000 square-foot building will feature modern classrooms and meeting spaces and anatomy and simulation suites.

brittany.britto@chron.com

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

University of Houston receives $10 million gift for Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management

EuScOFW.png

laura-gillespie-1*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Laura Gillespie  –  Reporter, Houston Business Journal 
6 hours ago

The University of Houston Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management has received a $10 million gift from the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation. 

The gift will create an unrestricted endowment at the Hilton College and will help the college navigate Covid-19 challenges that the hospitality industry is facing, the university said. 

“Hilton College has become world-renowned as a leader in hospitality education and research, in no small part because of the Hilton Foundation’s philanthropy,” said UH President Renu Khator. “At every major stage of the college’s growth, the foundation has been there to support our hospitality students by funding critical facilities, programs, endowments and scholarships. On behalf of the university, I thank them for this truly remarkable gift, especially during this challenging time.”

The Hilton College was started with a $1.5 million gift from hotel industry veteran Conrad Hilton in 1969. Over time, his foundation has given over $95 million to the school. The foundation has given more than $1.6 billion around the world. 

The college currently has 1,000 students from 54 countries, six degree programs and 30 full-time faculty members. 

“We are proud to have partnered with the Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management at the University of Houston, now one of the leading hospitality institutions in the country, since its inception,” said Peter Laugharn, president and CEO of the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation. “Through this grant, we look forward to supporting a new generation of students, many of whom are the first in their families to attend college, in becoming leaders in the hospitality sector.”

$30.4 million expansion and renovation of the Hilton University of Houston hotel will begin in March. The project includes a five-story guest tower, which will increase the number of rooms at the hotel to 150. 

“When we embarked on our strategic-planning process in 2015, the Hilton Foundation was there as well, even offering a representative to help us chart a new roadmap,” said Hilton College Dean Dennis Reynolds. “Today, as we weather this pandemic and enter our newest chapter with the expansion of our Hilton Hotel, a cutting-edge curriculum launch, a new and fully integrated Eric’s Club Center for Student Success and a bold vision for the future, the Hilton Foundation has once again made an indelible impact with this legacy gift.”

The university closed its $1.2 billion "Here, We Go" campaignAug. 21, 2020. It had met the $1 billion initial goal in 2019 but continued to accept donations. The funds will create 728 endowments, 55 endowed chairs and professorships, over $215 million in scholarships and fellowships, 29 new or renovated facilities, and 12 centers and institutes. Of those funds, $559 million, or 48% of total giving, came from individuals; $380 million, or 31%, from corporations; and $255 million, or 21%, from foundations. 

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Medical School.

8PHoXuC.jpg

Lots of nice Oak and other trees are probably going to cut down for the addition to the Hilton School of Restaurant Management. Looked on all sides for any info signage besides the contractors name but didn't find any.

yPXOl1g.jpg

KykZ4aL.jpg

Law School is rising quickly look like they are working on the 4th floor.

t6olYVK.jpg

3KVA8B1.jpg

y7BPRgL.jpg

Eyf7RPA.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

The Medical School.

8PHoXuC.jpg

Lots of nice Oak and other trees are probably going to cut down for the addition to the Hilton School of Restaurant Management. Looked on all sides for any info signage besides the contractors name but didn't find any.

yPXOl1g.jpg

KykZ4aL.jpg

Law School is rising quickly look like they are working on the 4th floor.

t6olYVK.jpg

3KVA8B1.jpg

y7BPRgL.jpg

Eyf7RPA.jpg

I'm not crazy about all those trees left in front of the medical school. It makes the grand entrance not so grand if you can't see the building. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Stew said:

I'm not crazy about all those trees left in front of the medical school. It makes the grand entrance not so grand if you can't see the building. 

They're building in a forested area. I'm sure they're limited to how many tress they can cut down and this isn't Texas Tech's barren campus after all. The more trees the better IMHO. I mean look the Rice Campus it's gorgeous with all the trees. Besides I'm sure they are going to get all the med students they need to fill classes and really don't need to advertise.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, hindesky said:

They're building in a forested area. I'm sure they're limited to how many tress they can cut down and this isn't Texas Tech's barren campus after all. The more trees the better IMHO. I mean look the Rice Campus it's gorgeous with all the trees. Besides I'm sure they are going to get all the med students they need to fill classes and really don't need to advertise.

Bout to cross some lines my dude 😐.  We actually have plenty of trees on campus, it's just the surrounding area (Texas Panhandle) that is grassland.  That said, adding trees is always a good idea on campuses.  Especially in a city like Houston where the sun is so brutal.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, brijonmang said:

Bout to cross some lines my dude 😐.  We actually have plenty of trees on campus, it's just the surrounding area (Texas Panhandle) that is grassland.  That said, adding trees is always a good idea on campuses.  Especially in a city like Houston where the sun is so brutal.

I guess "plenty of trees" is subjective (and relative)...    🤠    And when did they move Tech's campus to the panhandle?

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, brijonmang said:

Hey, I root for Tech all the time, I worked at the Texas Tech Center in Junction for 4 summers and after school. Plus I go to Griffs a lot since it's in my neighborhood, the 2 owners are both Tech grads and of course they show all Tech games. I've just seen and heard that it's not considered one of the prettiest campus in Texas.

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Hey, I root for Tech all the time, I worked at the Texas Tech Center in Junction for 4 summers and after school. Plus I go to Griffs a lot since it's in my neighborhood, the 2 owners are both Tech grads and of course they show all Tech games. I've just seen and heard that it's not considered one of the prettiest campus in Texas.

We toured Tech in 2019, as it was an option for our kid. It's pretty flat, and mostly treeless, but has a certain charm. Kid thought it was too far out in the middle of nowhere, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A worker is working on the mock up for the Medical School. Can't really get close to this since it so far back in the woods.

jAALByF.jpg

h4KsPjx.jpg

Look like today was the Graduation ceremony, saw lots of students with caps and gowns.

SKmU4of.jpg

Looks like the Hilton Hotel addition is about to crank up.

9VcxO56.jpg

TPjwFbw.jpg

o9LlY7q.jpg

Law School, saw a mock up nearby but didn't get a pic, will try next time.

KDAyXTq.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

They finished the mock up on the Medical School.

zrhK3JC.jpg

rdFZwGw.jpg

Guys were working on the Law School mock up.

jS5mtex.jpg

Spotted an Austin Commercial worker getting his drone ready to inspect progress on the Law School.

JM6rYVR.jpg

pgqkZUB.jpg

KgRbGhZ.jpg

80mZuBn.jpg

jC3x3kD.jpg

Bartlett Tree removal company was removing the trees in the way at the new Hilton addition. 

qq9UpFJ.jpg

57zWeMw.jpg

mZqTN3y.jpg

• Like 3

Update UH main campus master plan: 

qewqewqwefghfghfghfgh.PNG.0806ec07b31f7f69bf59978b916fbb6c.PNG

Current Plan Goals: 

- Cullen Boulevard Rebuild 

- MacGregor Tract Master Plan

- Centennial Master Plan

Future Initiatives: 

- Create a strong first impression

- Celebrate the heart and life of the University

- Build a walkable, welcoming, memorable campus

- Connect people, places and disciplines

- Design a sustainable, resilient campus

Building Updates (added or removed)

- The HUB (formerly “Auxiliary Retail Center”)

- John M. O’Quinn Law Building

- College of Medicine

- New Room Tower for Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management

and Purchases or Boundary Updates (added or removed)

- None

Landscape, Art or Misc. Updates (added or removed)

- Color Field Temporary Art Exhibition

Notable Footprints:

College of Medicine district 

- Moody replacement

- 2 Buildings by stadium (garage and athletic center?)

- The Hub (replacement for the satellite)  

- 3 buildings north of the loop road.

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 9