• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So big news happening on the food side of UH.

Firstly cougar woods is going to be renovated: 

1513238567_cougarswoods1.jpg.f79447fa69775a04db5ced36b2820350.jpg

645583046_cougarswoods2.jpg.798715d8e377af5956576f5d2605eb8e.jpg

Secondly UH will build a food truck park in lot 21A:

2073885001_foodtruckpark.thumb.png.84499805d1ae9110653f45873f95916f.png

Finally after the moody towers are torn down and rebuilt, here's what the dining hall will look like: 

403694284_moodydining1.jpg.aab4b5c411f84641ebbcca9a8e1c5667.jpg

26891103_moodydining2.jpg.4e4ab75449d186b50a23f9efab809802.jpg

895915437_moodydining3.jpg.357ee1ee8d3b2fb7c43d9ab893b6989b.jpg

389313267_moodydining4.jpg.48b83147d3bab6ea927cdaa0cca6a4d2.jpg

256369470_moodydining5.jpg.aa8ef7aa4748b823a2a92b1aa24b37b6.jpg

Honestly an amazing rebuild of the dining hall system at UH, can't wait for it to happen. Have a lot of memories staying in moody dining for hours upon hours, just hanging out and studying with friends (also the tendies). 

I also found a rendering of the new COT rebuild, but I can't seem to find it anymore. 

• Like 5

On 6/3/2019 at 8:25 PM, robalob said:

Looks like they really do want to tear down Moody towers and replace it with a layout similar to the new quads or maybe cougar villages. Not gonna lie I wish they would have gone with rebuilding into a dual high-rise towers just so that there is more diversity in the type of on campus housing.  This will also remove a staple landmark of the campus that you are able to see from a distance. 

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 8.24.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 8.22.54 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 8.23.11 PM.png

Where did you get this info? Link? I've been looking everywhere for this.

• Like 2

20a and 20c are both fenced in for new garage construction.

a campus officer I spoke with when they were ensuring all the cars were removed from the lots was confident that the garage still under construction will be complete and ready for parking by the beginning of the semester, which is august 19.

I don't think they're gonna make it, which means a lot of overflow parking at the energy campus.

they are cutting an entrance to this new parking lot at Elgin, about halfway between Entrance 18 and the spur 5 feeder. they are also reconfiguring the turn from elgin onto spur 5.

• Like 1

That's a dumb place to put a medical school. Separated from the main campus AND the TMC. Turning its back on resources that is existing already and could attract great students!

2 minutes ago, bobruss said:

They keep knocking out of the park. There is so much going on in every corner of the campus. 

The new Quadrant dormitories, the new garage/ art sculpture center, the architecture innovation lab, the football practice center, the basketball arena and practice facilities, the baseball field stadium upgrades, and the new college of medicine.
As a matter of fact all four major schools have added quite a few new building or have several under construction.

T.S.U. just finishing up the new Library,  and St. Thomas just built their new science building, while Rice has added a new Art Gallery, athletic performance center,

the Opera House is getting closer, and a new graduate building under construction just east of the Basketball gym. 

Good to see all of our centers of higher learning staying fresh and making improvements.

Don't forget HBU!

This is all part of the Universities campus. Just like the petroleum engineering school and other energy related programs that have taken over the old Schlumberger campus just across the rail lines to the east. This is just an extension of the southern end of the campus, and room for a family living center for students staff and faculty. It lies right across the street from MacGregor park. You can ride your bicycle from there to the med center along the Bayou.

The school will be less than ten minutes from the med center and will have shuttles, just like U.T. uses for its students to get around the med center.

I don't have a clue what's going on at HBU. I don't go by it ever, and just don't know.

Start a thread and fill us in. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, bobruss said:

This is all part of the Universities campus. Just like the petroleum engineering school and other energy related programs that have taken over the old Schlumberger campus just across the rail lines to the east. This is just an extension of the southern end of the campus, and room for a family living center for students staff and faculty. It lies right across the street from MacGregor Park. You can ride your bicycle from there to the med center along the Bayou.

The school will be less than ten minutes from the med center and will have shuttles, just like U.T. uses for its students to get around the med center.

I don't have a clue what's going on at HBU. I don't go by it ever, and just don't know.

Start a thread and fill us in. 

That property has thick woods on it. I hope they do right by designing the building into the woods without tearing all the trees out. It be nice if they would just carve out room for the buildings and parking then leave as many of trees as possible on the land.

• Like 6

Texas911,

It’s not just an educational facility, it also will serve the community as healthcare center. I’m very sure the administration considered multiple location options. Makes sense to keep the school somewhat removed so that it doesn’t get bogged down in traffic, for people who are just seeking care.

To call the location just “dumb” doesn’t make you sound very considerate. 

• Like 7

Its just that there's a world class medical center in our backyard but instead of participating in it we choose to go at it alone? Heck, Rice doesn't have a Med school but they have a building in the med center, as do a number of schools.

I am on an unrelated Board for U of H, but we were briefed a number of times on the Medical school and choosing the location was a tough, but very well consider decision.  They seriously considered being in the Medical Center and even identified an available piece of land, but in the end the choice was to be near campus to reinforce the ties to the university.

As for the exact location and preserving the trees, I'm afraid that whole area will probably be developed over time.  If you're not familiar with the U of H area, the campus is pretty hemmed in on the north by I-45, the east by the railroad tracks (with the exception of the Innovation Center (ex. Schlumberger facility) which is really a separate location) and the south by viable residential in University Oaks/Riverside Terrace.  So I think that area of land to the southeast is destined to become part of the campus.  There is political pressure from Third Ward leaders for U of H to not expand to the west as they feel that it would diminish the historically African American nature of the neighborhood.  Plus TSU and Yates High School are right there on the border already.  There is some room to expand to the north right up against I-45, but that land is currently serving as sports fields and personally I think that's a good idea as intramural sports add to the University experience and the mind boggling to me 6000+ students who live on-campus need recreation areas. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, innerloop said:

I am on an unrelated Board for U of H, but we were briefed a number of times on the Medical school and choosing the location was a tough, but very well consider decision.  They seriously considered being in the Medical Center and even identified an available piece of land, but in the end the choice was to be near campus to reinforce the ties to the university.

As for the exact location and preserving the trees, I'm afraid that whole area will probably be developed over time.  If you're not familiar with the U of H area, the campus is pretty hemmed in on the north by I-45, the east by the railroad tracks (with the exception of the Innovation Center (ex. Schlumberger facility) which is really a separate location) and the south by viable residential in University Oaks/Riverside Terrace.  So I think that area of land to the southeast is destined to become part of the campus.  There is political pressure from Third Ward leaders for U of H to not expand to the west as they feel that it would diminish the historically African American nature of the neighborhood.  Plus TSU and Yates High School are right there on the border already.  There is some room to expand to the north right up against I-45, but that land is currently serving as sports fields and personally I think that's a good idea as intramural sports add to the University experience and the mind-boggling to me 6000+ students who live on-campus need recreation areas. 

Based on rendering it looks like they are going to carve out room in the trees for the building and parking lot. I just hope they do this with any future expansions on the land. The campus they are building in Pearland is being built with maintaining foliage in mind. Also, I believe there is a chunk of the land in the flood plain so they can not build on some of it anyway. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, innerloop said:

As for the exact location and preserving the trees, I'm afraid that whole area will probably be developed over time.  If you're not familiar with the U of H area, the campus is pretty hemmed in on the north by I-45, the east by the railroad tracks (with the exception of the Innovation Center (ex. Schlumberger facility) which is really a separate location) and the south by viable residential in University Oaks/Riverside Terrace.  So I think that area of land to the southeast is destined to become part of the campus.  There is political pressure from Third Ward leaders for U of H to not expand to the west as they feel that it would diminish the historically African American nature of the neighborhood.  

North:  I always hope that UH can somehow get all of the land east of Scott and west of the RR tracks up to 45.  Buying Wholesale Electric and the old falling down homes north of Elgin would be awesome.

West:  I guess I could understand that pressure from the community if UH was all one race but, as it is one of the most diverse schools in the world, it seems like the pressure is to keep a neighborhood one race instead of many.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, texas911 said:

That's a dumb place to put a medical school. Separated from the main campus AND the TMC. Turning its back on resources that is existing already and could attract great students!

Don't forget HBU!

Not really.  It the perfect location for the Med School due to proximity from TMC and it will serve the 3rd Ward community so that location is easily accessible.  

• Like 3

On 8/22/2019 at 8:19 AM, innerloop said:

As for the exact location and preserving the trees, I'm afraid that whole area will probably be developed over time.  If you're not familiar with the U of H area, the campus is pretty hemmed in on the north by I-45, the east by the railroad tracks (with the exception of the Innovation Center (ex. Schlumberger facility) which is really a separate location) and the south by viable residential in University Oaks/Riverside Terrace.  So I think that area of land to the southeast is destined to become part of the campus.  There is political pressure from Third Ward leaders for U of H to not expand to the west as they feel that it would diminish the historically African American nature of the neighborhood.  Plus TSU and Yates High School are right there on the border already.  There is some room to expand to the north right up against I-45, but that land is currently serving as sports fields and personally I think that's a good idea as intramural sports add to the University experience and the mind boggling to me 6000+ students who live on-campus need recreation areas. 

Thanks for the insight, especially for those posters that thought my post had no credibility in regards to having the med school located in the World Renowned Texas Medical Center. Seems the powers that be also thought that it was a good idea. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 5:20 PM, texas911 said:

Don't forget HBU!

Disagree.  I  travel that area daily.  It  a straight shot into the TMC without  having to get on the Highway. It  a 5 min metro ride back to the main campus. It very present could is adding to a area that growing.  I remember when that area was a ghost town with a few fast food places and a store. Now there a ton of fast food places. a number of black owned  businesses . A huge club / lounge that quite popular with the college age and early 30s crowd.  Only things missing is residential  and these still a number of land plots available for even that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, texas911 said:

Thanks for the insight, especially for those posters that thought my post had no credibility in regards to having the med school located in the World Renowned Texas Medical Center. Seems the powers that be also thought that it was a good idea. 

I didn't read one quote that said your idea was not credible. What I read were the explanations of why it was chosen. 

You were the one that started this by saying it was a dumb place to put the school. Maybe if you had dug a little and understood why they decided to build where they are, you wouldn't have said something derogatory and not sounded like you had no knowledge of the thoughtful consideration that was taken in coming up with their decision.I think that Jmitch94 and arbpro made it very clear why they chose where they did.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, texas911 said:

You are in error. The school has long wanted a medical school. When the idea was finally facing fruition, the University considered all options, including the TMC. When it was decided that the focus would be on primary care for an underserved area, the TMC option was no longer viable. The school then proceeded with its business plan idea which had the side benefit of allowing the medical school to be near the main campus. Apparently you think that was a bad idea. What you are really saying is that you think having a medical school dedicated to primary care in a need location is a bad idea. 

• Like 3