This might be old news, but I was walking along the Braes Bayou trail next to the UH campus and discovered they have built a separate lane for golf carts along a section that connects the main campus with the UH research park on the other side of the railyard.

Edited by august948
  • Like 3

I think it's been there for a while. A relative works in the petroleum engineering office in the new building, tucked back in the middle of the campus.

. She told me about the trail maybe 1-2 years ago. They shuffle engineering personnel and staff back and forth.

The Schlumberger campus has provided  the U. of H., a tract of land relatively close to the main campus, with plenty of room to develop a research center and  an incubator for all related fields of energy exploration, solar, wind, and eventually hydropower.

Consider the opportunities in Houston, energy capitol of the world. It's really a no brainer. 

When they  finished construction on the school, I installed  art and helped acquire and install a large model of an off shore rig, donated  to the Pet. Eng. school, by one of the local energy companies here.

An interesting fact. The MFAH had been using some of the warehouses for art storage. I can see the connection: Schlumberger - Menil - MFAH.

I'm glad  they saved this 17 building site.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 8:45 PM, robalob said:

Some updated graphics for the new College of Medicine layout. Looks like they are pushing the building further into the tract of land, but the planned streetscaping appears to invite a lot of street-side development.

Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 8.38.48 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 8.38.37 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 8.38.23 PM.png

I like the thick foliage of that property. Maybe by pushing the building back, they can keep some of the wooded atmosphere. I don't mind them building some street front development but I hope they try to leave a large portion of the trees on the property.

I can't remember the last 3 year span that has seen as much construction on campus as now.

It seems that every where you look there are cranes and new projects going up.

New football stadium, basketball practice facility, Fertitta center, Indoor football field, new parking garage with art sculpture center, Law school. med school,

Hilton hotel expansion. And to top it off they raised a billion dollars 1 1/2 years ahead of schedule.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I can't remember the last 3 year span that has seen as much construction on campus as now.

It seems that every where you look there are cranes and new projects going up.

New football stadium, basketball practice facility, Fertitta center, Indoor football field, new parking garage with art sculpture center, Law school. med school,

Hilton hotel expansion. And to top it off they raised a billion dollars 1 1/2 years ahead of schedule.

It's exciting to see the campus, and the area around it grow. While I might graduate by the time most of these projects finish, I'm still looking forward to their completion. Let's hope they come out with a COT renovation, or a whole new building all together soon. Also looking foward to catching a dorm room in the new quads; when they finish.

43 minutes ago, TheSirDingle said:

It's exciting to see the campus, and the area around it grow. While I might graduate by the time most of these projects finish, I'm still looking forward to their completion. Let's hope they come out with a COT renovation, or a whole new building all together soon. Also looking foward to catching a dorm room in the new quads; when they finish.

Pretty sure the plan is to move the COT to Sugar Land and turn that building to a food hall.

19 minutes ago, htine said:

Pretty sure the plan is to move the COT to Sugar Land and turn that building to a food hall.

Idk, last time I asked one of the profs. They said it would teared down, and turned into a much larger building with GFR. The one at Sugar land is its own college, and should be temporary for main campus COT students. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 3:31 PM, hindesky said:

jVioyXP.jpg

Walked by the new garage today and notice they've left a chunk out of the southwest corner.  On the southeast corner the bottom floor is two stories tall with 3 parking decks above it.  It looks to me like they are going to build something in that corner.  Offices, maybe?  I also see conduit and pvc piping sticking out of the ground between the garage (behind the green fencing above) and the side road.  Are they going to add something there (some restaurants/retail maybe?

Edited by august948
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, august948 said:

Walked by the new garage today and notice they've left a chunk out of the southwest corner.  On the southeast corner the bottom floor is two stories tall with 3 parking decks above it.  It looks to me like they are going to build something in that corner.  Offices, maybe?  I also see conduit and pvc piping sticking out of the ground between the garage (behind the green fencing above) and the side road.  Are they going to add something there (some restaurants/retail maybe?

A good portion of the southwest corner has PVC pipes poking out of the ground and it looks like they're prepping for a concrete mat in that area. Something else is definitely going up there.

Can any of you tell me what is going on over at the Fraternity square off Calhoun and MacGregor.

There is a large box shaped structure on top of a building in the center of the complex that rises above the roofs of the sorority and fraternity houses. It has been wrapped like a Christo artwork for months. Is this termite control, or is something else going on at this site. Just curious.

On 12/14/2017 at 10:32 PM, Urbannizer said:

This is a rendering of the parking garage and the Advanced media technology lab, part of the architecture school. Thats wha's going into the southwest corner of the garage. You can see it in the rendering.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/05/28/university-of-houston-system-to-receive-109.html

The Texas Legislature approved $109 million in state funding to the University of Houston System for three of its projects and general revenue increases, according to a May 26 press release.

The money will help pay for the UH College of Medicine, new facilities for the UH Law Center and Hobby School of Public Affairs, and repairs to buildings damaged by Hurricane Harvey. Legislators also approved a dedicated student fee to pay for wellness centers at UH-Downtown and UH-Victoria per the release.

• Like 7

University of Houston System approved for $109 million in state funding 

A depiction of what the University of Houston's new College of Medicine building could look like at the MacGregor site.

A depiction of what the University of Houston's new College of Medicine building could look like at the MacGregor site.

COURTESY UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON

jonathan-adams*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Jonathan Adams  – Associate editor, Houston Business Journal 
13 hours ago

The Texas Legislature approved $109 million in state funding to the University of Houston System for three of its projects and general revenue increases, according to a May 26 press release.

The money will help pay for the UH College of Medicine, new facilities for the UH Law Center and Hobby School of Public Affairs, and repairs to buildings damaged by Hurricane Harvey. Legislators also approved a dedicated student fee to pay for wellness centers at UH-Downtown and UH-Victoria per the release. 

Each bill passed now awaits Gov. Greg Abbott's signature. A bill that would recognize the medical school had been sent to the governor's desk in April.

“I am extremely grateful for the support of Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Speaker Dennis Bonnen throughout this session and to all of our state lawmakers for making higher education such an important priority,” Renu Khator, chancellor of the University of Houston System, said in the release. “Building great public institutions is truly a partnership with our elected leaders. Their support will help our system’s 74,000 students succeed, which in turn creates a qualified workforce, healthy communities and a prosperous Texas.”

Of the $109 million total, the medical school will receive $20 million next biennium to help with startup costs, per the release. The school hopes to admit its first class of students in fall 2020, pending accreditation by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, according to the release.

The University plans to ask the legislature for an additional $20 million over the next four sessions, according to the release.

UH's degree will cost $23,755 per year. An anonymous donation announced in July 2018 will cover full four-year tuition for the entire inaugural class, which is expected to be 30 students, and a gift from the John M. O'Quinn Foundation will cover tuition for one-third of the second class. The school expects to have a full enrollment of 480 students over the next eight years.

“We are thrilled and thankful that our lawmakers recognize the need to build Houston’s first medical school in nearly 50 years,” Dr. Stephen Spann, founding dean of the UH College of Medicine, said in the release. “The startup funding is another critical milestone necessary to help us achieve our mission of training more primary care physicians to address a significant statewide shortage.”

The UH Law Center and the UH Hobby School of Public Affairs will receive $45 million for new facilities, with a focus on modernizing technology in the buildings, creating flexible spaces and mitigating problems associated with the previous flood-prone structure, according to the release.

The UH System will also receive about $18 million in general revenue funding increases based on enrollment growth and a little more than $26 million split four ways for Hurricane Harvey recovery not covered by insurance or the Federal Emergency Management Agency, per the release.

• University of Houston: $20.3 million
  • University of Houston-Downtown: $4 million
  • University of Houston-Victoria: $1.7 million
  • University of Houston-Clear Lake: $83,668

Lastly, the legislature authorized a dedicated student fee to pay for a new wellness and success center at UH-Downtown and a new recreation and wellness center at UH-Victoria, per the release. Students at each campus approved the fees for the projects, according to the release.

The amount of the fees may not exceed $150 per student for each regular semester, per the release.

“We had critical needs throughout the UH System coming into this legislative session and our elected leaders could not have been more supportive,” Jason Smith, UHS vice chancellor of governmental relations, said in the release. “The state of Texas has innumerable competing interests that have to be juggled and, from the outset, from Gov. Abbott on down, our leaders made it known that higher education was a priority. The support provided this session will strengthen each of our universities, the communities around us, and the state.”

• Like 5

Looks like they really do want to tear down Moody towers and replace it with a layout similar to the new quads or maybe cougar villages. Not gonna lie I wish they would have gone with rebuilding into a dual high-rise towers just so that there is more diversity in the type of on campus housing.  This will also remove a staple landmark of the campus that you are able to see from a distance. 

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 8.24.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 8.22.54 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 8.23.11 PM.png

Edited by robalob
  • Like 6