The Chron article says the site next to campus is 43 acres, which I assume means UH owns all those woods across MLK from MacGregor park.  That will be a huge expansion for the university if they eventually fill that up.  If they do, there would be four light rail stations along the edge of UH.  Most schools are lucky to get one.  Metrorail might become another way to get around campus.  :P

23 minutes ago, texas911 said:

I disagree about it not being at the med center. It should be in the med center so that they can mingle with professionals in their field. Lots of them! Plus its great advertising to the thousands of patients that go to the med center.

I believe if they put it in the med center then they can't count it towards the numbers for the academic rankings of UH and it would have to be counted separately. Renu has been making it a priority to raise the UH main campus's academic rankings and possibly AAU.

1 hour ago, august948 said:

The Chron article says the site next to campus is 43 acres, which I assume means UH owns all those woods across MLK from MacGregor park.  That will be a huge expansion for the university if they eventually fill that up.  If they do, there would be four light rail stations along the edge of UH.  Most schools are lucky to get one.  Metrorail might become another way to get around campus.  :P

You are correct it is that wooded property.

1 hour ago, cougarpad said:

I believe if they put it in the med center then they can't count it towards the numbers for the academic rankings of UH and it would have to be counted separately. Renu has been making it a priority to raise the UH main campus's academic rankings and possibly AAU.

Not true. Being physically separated from the main campus would not interfere with AAU or other academic rankings.  I think this is a mistake.  They should put it at the medical center site.

22 minutes ago, htownbro said:

I think they chose that location to better serve that community.  

That’s what I read.

TMC already has billions of dollars and luxury high rises. MLK/OST does not.  The old saying don’t put all your eggs in one basket comes to mind.

At the same time I hate to see people being pushed out of their neighborhood due to increasing prices.

Those are both two very good points and since the intention was to reach out to support the third ward and bring health care to the neighborhood what better place than the third ward. There are plenty of facilities in the med center and the U of H is a ten minute drive. By keeping the property in the med center they can eventually build whatever might be needed at some point.

Plus there are already a lot of support services in the med center, that UH would have to duplicate in a stand alone facility. I know its noble to have it in the third ward, but we need this to be successful. UT, ATM, TWC, PVA&M, are already at the med center. UH should rightly be there as well.

The UH medical school is going to be focused on research into training doctors and have an emphasis on improving medical in underserved communities.  It is not going to be in the same medical research model as UT and Baylor. Given the college's objectives, the location of the new med school is a good location. Plus UH just built a new pharmacy and health science buildings right up to the street next to the optometry college. So the location of the med school will allow for better corroboration with those colleges.

If you look at the UH property in Med Center it is not very big and is landlocked by other development. If UH put a med college in that location there is no room for growth. The property across from MacGregor park is large and leaves much room for future growth.

Very happy for UH and the city on the new medical school.

As to the location. I can see arguments for both. My wife is a professor of medicine at Northwestern. At NU the medical/business/law schools are in Chicago, but the main campus is up in Evanston. There are times when my wife will have to take the shuttle to Evanston to work on something, but 99% of the time she stays on the Chicago campus. Expansion is an issue here for the medical school. There is only so much real estate in this part of Chicago and construction costs are very high (it's basically like the Galleria (mag mile) and med center (NU med center) rolled into one very expensive area). However keeping talent and attracting top students in this part of Chicago is easy. Tons of amenities in this neighborhood. The concern for UH Medical would be if professors, researchers, post docs, etc. would want to commute/live in that part of Houston?  

Gentrification is needed in the area around UH for the betterment of the University and its growth, but there will still be plenty of historical third ward left in the area going towards 59 and 288. There has to be a solution and plan to have a good mix of the old and the new. Also, development does mean more jobs available in an area that could use the economic advancement. I could see the few blocks in the immediate directions around UH being developed, but I don't see all of the 3rd Ward being developed. 

On 11/23/2018 at 8:57 AM, Houston? said:

Just hope the gentrification doesn’t start. Gentrification is not cute when it wipes out culture and becomes vanilla and whitewashed. 

Culture is always changing dude. Its ignorant when one says immigrants moving in is going to destroy culture and its ignorant when one says gentrification will do the same. You are not the arbiter or the one that dictates what is culture and what isn't. Who are you and what gives you the authority to pronounce this? 

33 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Culture is always changing dude. Its ignorant when one says immigrants moving in is going to destroy culture and its ignorant when one says gentrification will do the same. You are not the arbiter or the one that dictates what is culture and what isn't. Who are you and what gives you the authority to pronounce this? 

Based on your post you probably don't have a culture smh lol

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 8:57 AM, Houston? said:

Just hope the gentrification doesn’t start. Gentrification is not cute when it wipes out culture and becomes vanilla and whitewashed. 

It's just pure economics. It's so close to downtown, midtown and several universities. The land is cheaper compared to other areas.... chances are, Third Ward is going to have the fastest transformation of any area near downtown in the next decade, especially with light rail servicing the area...that's going to be another marketing ploy by developers.

10 hours ago, Triton said:

It's just pure economics. It's so close to downtown, midtown and several universities. The land is cheaper compared to other areas.... chances are, Third Ward is going to have the fastest transformation of any area near downtown in the next decade, especially with light rail servicing the area...that's going to be another marketing ploy by developers.

Doubtful as MRA owns so much land in Third Ward.  I think most developments will be close to UH and Emancipation.

A few pics of the Houston Cougars newly renovated Fertitta Center. 5c020608ae8b6_fertittawhole.jpg.a3aa49c2297e32e457859c2d6c5cc380.jpg

5c02063808a91_fertittascoreboard.jpg.6748e1d97cb3db413df1baa7d054575d.jpg5c02050aca5d3_fertittashowfloor.jpg.5f04ed3220d27a157e65e1f1f498af21.jpg

Also here's a video from twitter demonstrating the use of projection maps on the show floor: https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1068332032282017793 

Source of pics: https://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/Peek-inside-UH-Fertitta-Center-before-it-opens-13434236.php

• Like 1