Does anyone have any updated info on the old Chinese Star building?

They were kicked out at the end of last fall semester, and there was a big deal in the DC about students having an option on what replaces it, but I haven't seen/heard anything since then.

• Like 1

As the prime food contractor, Aramark had control over any new use of the property for food. UH just rebid their food services contract this past spring and switched to a new company who I assume now has control of the property and is probably starting from scratch to plan a use for it.

That said, UH rebid their food services contract after an audit recommended changes. (They were auditing all departments of A&F.) If you could find that full audit report it might have recommendations about the use of the property which might have been included as requirements in the RFP for the new food services contract.

Edited by KyleJohnstonNet
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cspwal said:

Step 1.  Renovate the stadium and ensure there's a great view of downtown from inside the stadium

Step 2.  Build a training center that directly blocks that view

This was taken from the 1st row of the upper level. Might still have a decent DT view from the upper rows. I would have taken a pic from there, but those steps are brutal especially with a bone spur in my heel. LOL

UH Practice.png

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 11:10 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

From the University of Houston College of Medicine report regarding the facility:

The new UH College of Medicine will require a significant amount of space in which to operate on the campus as it grows to full enrollment. Given the length of time it takes for capital budget requests, approvals, design and construction of a new facility, temporary space must be identified for the new college. University officials have identified space on several floors in the new Health and Biomedical Sciences Building Phase II (HBSB-2) currently nearing completion. After careful examination of College of Medicine interim space needs a “test it” of the identified space (floors 8 and 9), the consulting architectural team concluded that the available space in HBSB2 could meet the clinical instructional and administrative needs for a limited time period, with additional once  space available on the 6th floor. HBSB-2 could serve as a temporary home to the College of Medicine for three  planning years and the first two years of initial enrollment. Such an arrangement would provide the necessary  facilities and resources for attaining preliminary LCME accreditation. The temporary facility would house a small  number of students (anticipated maximum of 60), as well as administrators, faculty, and staff while the College of  Medicine grows. Interim space needs to service the temporary College of Medicine facility are based on faculty,  staf, and student projections. Assuming enrollment build out as outlined over a 10-year period beginning with  the charter class of 30 students in Fall 2020, a new permanent facility would need to be available by Fall 2022.

The total project costs (current dollars) for developing College of Medicine space in HBSB-2 is dependent upon the end stage of build-out resulting from the current construction effort. 

- An estimated project cost of $13.1 million will be required to build out the two floors of HBSB-2 to meet the College of Medicine needs. 

- The permanent College of Medicine facility will be built on campus, similar in scope/cost of HBSB-2, but adjusted to the smaller project size. An on-campus utilities facility with existing parking (no cost  for added parking) is included in the Capital Cost Analysis. Total Project Costs are estimated to be $80 million (current dollars).

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4249309/COM-BORdocument111417.pdf

Hmmm... remember all the commotion a while back about one university encroaching on another and stepping on toes etc etc etc? 

I guess UH's motto is "Do As I Say, Not As I Do."

:huh:

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

Hmmm... remember all the commotion a while back about one university encroaching on another and stepping on toes etc etc etc? 

I guess UH's motto is "Do As I Say, Not As I Do."

:huh:

Good grief. The Medical School will be built on the school's MAIN CAMPUS and not in Austin. UT can build all the research facilities it wants on its main campus. Get it? Not too hard to figure out. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, htine said:

I believe that's also the first look at the next parking garage that they're going to build. 

I think your right. So this is going in in the existing adjacent parking lot to the north of the architecture and arts buildings. The art department will also have a new sculpture lab for 

students and some class rooms I believe. Exciting times for both Rice and U of H.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

...just saw this announcement back in March:

http://hcp1.net/News/post/commissioner-ellis-announces-street-repairs-around-tsu-and-uh

The goal is to create streets that are attractive and a source of neighborhood pride, while improving safety and accessibility to all users, including pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and transit riders.

In addition to roadway work, the project also includes drainage improvements, which will help reduce street flooding during heavy rain.

The streets in the TSU area are Cleburne (Emancipation to Scott); Blodgett (Scott to Ennis); and Attucks (Cleburne to Wheeler).

The streets near UH are Cullen (Interstate 45 to North MacGregor); Wheeler (Cullen to Scott); Elgin (Scott to I-45); and Holman (Scott to Cullen).

“This project will significantly enhance the gateways into these great institutions by creating a beautiful streetscape for students and residents,” Commissioner Ellis said. “The improvements also will help hundreds of Houston residents who attend classes and work at the universities".

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

https://m.chron.com/local/prognosis/article/UH-regents-to-select-site-for-planned-medical-13393415.php

https://v3.boardbook.org/Public/PublicItemDownload.aspx?ik=43499082

Renu Kator presented plans to the UH board for the location of the new medical college. It looks like the location has been narrowed down to a demoing a current UH building in the Med Center or building it across from Magregor Park. 

I personally prefer the Magregor Park location. It is basically on campus and next to a light rail stop. Also being next to campus would allow for better corroboration with other UH colleges. If it is in the Med Center it will be isolated and not feel at all like part of UH and not have any of the University's culture.

Edited by cougarpad