What is weird about that?  Seems like a pretty perfect location.

Perhaps it is a good location because it will showcase a new building on one of our primary's roads. But I just feel like it's an odd location because it's blocking one of our main arenas. Sure, it needs to be remodeled, but I was expecting this to be in the back or on the sides or just somewhere else. Was a little surprised that it's taking up most of the front lawn of Hofheinz, that's all. Glad we are getting it, just felt like somewhat of a weird location, no?

Perhaps it is a good location because it will showcase a new building on one of our primary's roads. But I just feel like it's an odd location because it's blocking one of our main arenas. Sure, it needs to be remodeled, but I was expecting this to be in the back or on the sides or just somewhere else. Was a little surprised that it's taking up most of the front lawn of Hofheinz, that's all. Glad we are getting it, just felt like somewhat of a weird location, no?

This has been planned for years.  Nothing new.

The eventual plan is to redo the "Hoff" as its in really bad shape - compared to top tier facilities elsewhere.

The cost of upgrading the arena is much more expensive I believe.  Besides, the basketball has a working arena, but they don't have a quality practice facility.

Edited by arche_757

The eventual plan is to redo the "Hoff" as its in really bad shape - compared to top tier facilities elsewhere.

The cost of upgrading the arena is much more expensive I believe.  Besides, the basketball has a working arena, but they don't have a quality practice facility.

All that, and, at least part of the reason for building this before they do the Hoff renovation, is that when they do the Hoff renovation, the building will be unusable for at least one full season. They plan to find another place in town to play their game, but they will kinda need a place to practice.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Sadly, the reason this is being built first is for recruiting. SMU, Baylor, Texas, Tech, and nearly every other school in the region has basketball only practice facilities with practice courts, meeting rooms, locker rooms, player lounges, etc... It's gotten out of hand but the other option would be to do nothing and let the once proud program simple fade away to nothing.

An anonymous donor also gave $25 million to build it so you don't turn that down!

Lastly, I've been hearing a few rumors that once this is built, a new arena might be a possibility to be built in Hofheinz's place. I've hear Tillman might be the guy to do it. I always thought it strange that he didn't donate to the football stadium, but I could see Landry's very interested in a new arena...

• Like 2

Sadly, the reason this is being built first is for recruiting. SMU, Baylor, Texas, Tech, and nearly every other school in the region has basketball only practice facilities with practice courts, meeting rooms, locker rooms, player lounges, etc... It's gotten out of hand but the other option would be to do nothing and let the once proud program simple fade away to nothing.

An anonymous donor also gave $25 million to build it so you don't turn that down!

Lastly, I've been hearing a few rumors that once this is built, a new arena might be a possibility to be built in Hofheinz's place. I've hear Tillman might be the guy to do it. I always thought it strange that he didn't donate to the football stadium, but I could see Landry's very interested in a new arena...

good01.jpg

geez kinkaidalum.  when you are good... you're very good!

I feel like you quoted the wrong comment from me but I am not sure. Either way, then it was a planned weird location. Again, glad we are getting it but putting it right in front of the arena on a small patch of lawn in front of it kind of surprised me. I expected it to be built on the side or something.

I feel like you quoted the wrong comment from me but I am not sure. Either way, then it was a planned weird location. Again, glad we are getting it but putting it right in front of the arena on a small patch of lawn in front of it kind of surprised me. I expected it to be built on the side or something.

I didn't quote the wrong statement from you.  I think its a fine location.  That's a big no-mans land around Hoff (I went to UH and hated that part of campus) and always felt like it was unfriendly, and a waste of space.

Eventually - or so I thought - UH plans to close Cullen to vehicles.  When that is done I expect it will feel less cluttered?

I don't understand why they are building this first before the renovation of Hofheinz.  That seems like the much more severe need than this.  

They are building this first because this will be the main Practice facility, basketball offices, and locker rooms. It will be open to the Men's and Women's basketball players 24-7.

They are building it first because UH is grossly behind in upgrading these facilities. they have the game day court but the practice facilities/lockers/showers/etc. are horrible.

I agree with their strategy, Practice facility first, attract recruits because of this, and then renovate Hofheinz after.

I didn't quote the wrong statement from you. I think its a fine location. That's a big no-mans land around Hoff (I went to UH and hated that part of campus) and always felt like it was unfriendly, and a waste of space.

Eventually - or so I thought - UH plans to close Cullen to vehicles. When that is done I expect it will feel less cluttered?

Yea that's true. It will probably be better once they remove Cullen. And yes, just graduated from UofH not too long ago and I certainly understand what you mean. Now I could have seen new landscaping here but I was surprised by an entirely new building.

I've long thought UH should by Christus St Joseph and just take that over.  Already existing hospital, somewhat cash straped, highly visable, easy access to lots of people and plenty of room around for additional buildings (at least I would think).

4 med schools for the Houston area? That is kinda big. I think Rice would have been a much stronger force (on the level of Duke) if it had a med school or law school or both. That Rice/ Baylor merger works be epic.

I was under the impression that Rice/Baylor thing fell through?  In fact BCM had some big kiss'n make-up to do with their previous partners.

I think UH and Rice could both run a med-school and it wouldn't hurt anything.  If anything we need more medical professionals over the coming decades.

• Like 1

We have Baylor and UT Health right now. I guess you could argue that A&M Galveston is "Houston."

This region is definitely large enough to house another medical school, especially one focused on primary care. UH's demographics and location to historically underserved areas (Rio Grande Valley, East Texas, rural South) make it an excellent candidate in my mind. 

Also, what about an Osteopathic Teaching Hospital? The entire State has only ONE at the moment.

I'm willing to bet it will be in the Med Center - maybe even on Yellowstone.

I respectfully disagree. Dr. Khator stated in the State of the University speech that "down the road" they intend to build a "community-based" medical school. The intent is not to copy the existing medical schools, but to "focus entirely on community-based research and training."

With as many gains as the University has shown with it's ambitious master plan, it would be a disservice to build a satellite medical school. When UH comes around to building a medical school, I have high confidence it will be within the campus sphere to better serve the communities of the Third Ward and the East End--not to mention the thousands of students living on campus. 

I was under the impression that Rice/Baylor thing fell through? In fact BCM had some big kiss'n make-up to do with their previous partners.

I think UH and Rice could both run a med-school and it wouldn't hurt anything. If anything we need more medical professionals over the coming decades.

meant would, not works. It totally changed the meaning of my sentence

It has not been Christus St. Joseph for quite some time.  Christus sold St. Joe in 2006, I believe.  I think it was struggling under Christus ownership and there was a lot of speculation about whether it could survive.  But it seems to have done well under the new ownership.

Ah, shows how out of touch I am.  Though in 2006 I was talking with my UH budies and we all agreed a UH Medical School centered around St. Joe's would have been a good thing.

I do like the idea of UH building a new healthcare campus.  Hopefully (as someone else mentioned) it'll be constructed somewhere else in the city where there is no existing healthcare facility.  Great addition for the East End/Navigation neighborhood...

• 3 months later...