False. " The Sterling Mansion was built by Frank P. Sterling in 1925. It was donated to the Museum of Fine Arts in 1948, but was then sold to Gus Wortham in 1951. Lyndall Wortham bequeathed the house to the University of Houstonon her death in July 1980 to be used as a residence for the University President. This building is now named Wortham House. - 3612 Parkwood, Houston, TX 77021" - Wikipedia

• Like 1

False. " The Sterling Mansion was built by Frank P. Sterling in 1925. It was donated to the Museum of Fine Arts in 1948, but was then sold to Gus Wortham in 1951. Lyndall Wortham bequeathed the house to the University of Houstonon her death in July 1980 to be used as a residence for the University President. This building is now named Wortham House. - 3612 Parkwood, Houston, TX 77021" - Wikipedia

Kinda false. I got the Cullen and Wortham families mixed up. That said, Isla Carroll built that house. She was Frank Sterling's wife and she and her daughter went on to build several well-known Houston area houses while their husbands got the credit.

The only thing about it being so close to parking that is awkward to me is there doesn't appear to be even so much as a covered walkway between them. I just feel like there should be some kind of connection between the two structures for some reason.

There's going to be a "grove" built between the garage and the new stadium. They hope that tailgating will take place on the grass and under the trees.

The long term plan calls for closing Cullen near the baseball stadium and connecting the "stadium grove" to the rest of the campus.

Additionally, the "grove" will offer seating for the food places on the ground floor of the garage once built.

• Like 1

I knew they have been planning to close Cullen, just not how far down or what exactly would be done with it. Any ideas on a timeline for that? It may explain why they haven't attempted anything even vaguely resembling maintenance on that road for a long time now. ;)

With the construction of the new FB stadium going on at the same time as the light rail, they decided to hold off on closing Cullen. They also plan to do significant renovations to Hofheinz soon, so that could hold it off as well. I would think that the earliest that they will close Cullen would be 2016. If that were the case, we would only have 3 or 4 more years of wear and tear on that street with heavy construction vehicles running down it. Should be in really great shape by that time.

With the construction of the new FB stadium going on at the same time as the light rail, they decided to hold off on closing Cullen. They also plan to do significant renovations to Hofheinz soon, so that could hold it off as well. I would think that the earliest that they will close Cullen would be 2016. If that were the case, we would only have 3 or 4 more years of wear and tear on that street with heavy construction vehicles running down it. Should be in really great shape by that time.

Factoring in the heavy equipment from all of the construction, after several more years and with the state it's in now, it'll be a gravel road by the time they close it.

They tore down the south end zone bleachers today. I walked by as they were tearing them apart. One of the most horrible grinding and tearing metal sounds I've ever heard. Although I suppose my emotional connection to the thing made it seem a lot worse to me that it actually was.

The only thing about it being so close to parking that is awkward to me is there doesn't appear to be even so much as a covered walkway between them. I just feel like there should be some kind of connection between the two structures for some reason.

At one point, there was talk of a skyway bridge from the garage into the stadium. I don't know if that's still in the works.

As for the proximity of the garage, I'd much rather have that "problem" than North Texas' parking situation at their new stadium. Imagine if the only parking for UH football was on the other side of I-45 . . .

• Like 1

They also plan to do significant renovations to Hofheinz soon.

I heard that they expect construction to start in January 2014. Which means we should start hearing about this project soon at the regent level because it will take several months to select a contractor/architect and for the design phase.

The next quarterly BOR meeting is 2/13/13. Then there is often a Special Meeting in March or April. Then a quarterly BOR meeting 5/15/13.

Edited by CougarRed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It appears they are building a stage in the corner of the park area in front of Cougar Village (sorry for the poor image quality - it was a cell phone pic through a dirty window with lighting my phone disagreed with):
uhstage_zps02dd8805.jpg

They have a good deal of steel up for the UC expansion:
uhuc_zps4070c083.jpg

The former UC Underground is now completely filled in and support pillars have been laid in place (picture from last week):
IMG_20130206_111812_zps82a1fd9b.jpg

• 2 months later...

That Cougar Village 2 building is pretty bad.  But everything else looks good!

Totally agree. I have to look at this eyesore almost everyday. If phase one is any indication, this building will not age well at all. Phase one already has that black mold coming from the top near the roof.