I also wish the streets were as smooth as the rendering shows them to be. Way to many pot holes down Cullen.

Yeah, it is a bit on the harsh side, but I hope that they will take care of that AFTER all the (with Light rail AND the campus )construction is done in that area.

Yeah, it is a bit on the harsh side, but I hope that they will take care of that AFTER all the (with Light rail AND the campus )construction is done in that area.

Totally agree. With Wheeler the way it is, the last thing we need is major construction on Cullen.

Really surprised how many people that go to UH are on here!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for all the pictures - was the snow from a Cougar promo event?

I'm sometimes at UH after work and I'm amazed at all that's going on - it's been about a decade since I left working/going to school there and it's a different world.

Wow! Great projects. And I love that the new buildings are tall. I only wish that UH would do more infill projects. It seems like UH is experiencing urban sprawl. They should take into account how long it takes a student to walk between classes.

Fellow Coog here that actually played in the snow so I can answer your questions...the snow is called UH's Winter Wonderland and it was made possible by an organization called SPB (Student Program Board). There were funnel cakes, hot chocolate, a gingerbread house competition and a lot of other free stuff.. it was like a present to the UH students before they left for the break.

Edit: The snow was mainly there so that people could have snowball fights

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This may warrant its own topic...

UH has taken the next major step in developing its new stadium: http://blog.chron.co...rd-its-stadium/

The University of Houston took a step in its process toward a new football stadium on Monday, issuing a request for qualification (RFQ) for architectural firms to submit proposals to design the new stadium.

Included among the things on UH’s list for the stadium project:

• 40,000-seat capacity, expandable to 60,000 in the future in 10,000-seat increments (phase two would be 50,000 seats, phase three would be 60,000 seats).
  • Premium seats (suites, club, loge, etc.) would be about 4,000.
  • A club lounge that would have view of the field, the downtown skyline and premium food and beverage amenities would be approximately 12,000 square feet.
  • Individual suites would be about 274 square feet apiece.
  • The Cougars’ locker room would be around 8,500 square feet and would include toilets, showers, separate coaches accommodations, training, treatment and exam facilities and equipment and manager space.
  • A 20,000 square-foot multi-purpose academic center.
  • The press box (which would include a visiting athletic director’s suite) would be above the main suite level.

UH has raised about half of the projected $120 million construction cost.

40,000-seat capacity seems small. I see the ability for expansion being planned into the development, but even 60,000 seats seems small for a University poising itself for significant growth in reputation, student population and alumni/community engagement.

Edited by Simbha

40,000 seems small? That's a smart number for UH. We have around 40,000 students right now which obviously doesn't include the alumni that come to the games.. parents and the other side that decides to show up. That means when the spotlight is on, the stadium looks packed and I'd imagine with this new stadium, it won't be free for students anymore. So UH can charge a good amount on a ticket since more people will be competing for the same ticket.. Of course, it won't be great for the students but the university will get a better image during the games and of course a lot more profit

40,000 seems small?

Yes, to me it seems small. Even with the expansion (to 40,000), the stadium would be in the lower third of NCAA FBS stadium capacities.

The campus is quickly growing (2.4% annual student population growth since 2005), outpacing Texas A&M (1.9%) and UT-Austin (0.6%). It is the principal public higher education institution in one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country.

Most NCAA FBS stadium have seating for a population that is significantly greater than the student body. Of course, one driver for this is that most students (including grad students) are enrolled in a university for four years or less; however, they will be alumni for many years after. For example, looking at the largest universities in Texas that are also in the FBS:

University - Current Enrollment - Stadium Capacity - Ratio

University of Texas at El Paso - 22,640 - 52,000 - 2.3

University of Texas at Austin - 51,145 - 100,119 - 2.0

Texas Tech University - 32,327 - 60,454 - 1.9

Texas A&M University - 51,895 - 83,002 - 1.6

University of Houston - 39,824 - 40,000 - 1.0

University of North Texas - 35,722 - 30,850 - 0.9

Furthermore, looking at the future Big East Conference, UH would rank near the bottom in stadium capacity, despite being one of the largest schools in the conference (in terms of student enrollment).

So UH can charge a good amount on a ticket since more people will be competing for the same ticket.. Of course, it won't be great for the students but the university will get a better image during the games and of course a lot more profit

Well, I can't argue with this - but not because I agree, but because I haven't seen the pricing/cost analysis. But, generically - Smaller stadium and competition for tickets doesn't necessarily translate to greater profit. And, while I know you're using the term informally, state universities are not in the business of making a profit - at a minimum, they're there to provide an education to members of the populace; in regards to sports facilities, they support such programs in order to (i) provide recreation for the university community and (ii) garner moral and financial support for the school. I don't think that packing a stadium and leaving some people who want to attend games out is the best way to achieve these goals.

Look, I'm REALLY glad that my alma mater is revamping its football digs - but I'm a bit disappointed that the initial phase is such a modest expansion from its current capacity. These expansion plans just seem a bit short-sighted to me.

Yes, to me it seems small. Even with the expansion (to 40,000), the stadium would be in the lower third of NCAA FBS stadium capacities.

The campus is quickly growing (2.4% annual student population growth since 2005), outpacing Texas A&M (1.9%) and UT-Austin (0.6%). It is the principal public higher education institution in one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country.

Most NCAA FBS stadium have seating for a population that is significantly greater than the student body. Of course, one driver for this is that most students (including grad students) are enrolled in a university for four years or less; however, they will be alumni for many years after. For example, looking at the largest universities in Texas that are also in the FBS:

University - Current Enrollment - Stadium Capacity - Ratio

University of Texas at El Paso - 22,640 - 52,000 - 2.3

University of Texas at Austin - 51,145 - 100,119 - 2.0

Texas Tech University - 32,327 - 60,454 - 1.9

Texas A&M University - 51,895 - 83,002 - 1.6

University of Houston - 39,824 - 40,000 - 1.0

University of North Texas - 35,722 - 30,850 - 0.9

Furthermore, looking at the future Big East Conference, UH would rank near the bottom in stadium capacity, despite being one of the largest schools in the conference (in terms of student enrollment).

Well, I can't argue with this - but not because I agree, but because I haven't seen the pricing/cost analysis. But, generically - Smaller stadium and competition for tickets doesn't necessarily translate to greater profit. And, while I know you're using the term informally, state universities are not in the business of making a profit - at a minimum, they're there to provide an education to members of the populace; in regards to sports facilities, they support such programs in order to (i) provide recreation for the university community and (ii) garner moral and financial support for the school. I don't think that packing a stadium and leaving some people who want to attend games out is the best way to achieve these goals.

Look, I'm REALLY glad that my alma mater is revamping its football digs - but I'm a bit disappointed that the initial phase is such a modest expansion from its current capacity. These expansion plans just seem a bit short-sighted to me.

I would argue that the purpose of student athletics is primarily to enhance the brand awareness among prospective students in the short term and brand loyalty among alumni in the long term. Football is particularly effective at marketing a university to out-of-state and international students that otherwise would be completely unfamiliar with a school that has traditionally had only a regional draw and a more regionally-limited diaspora; but even a girls' volleyball team, paraded around the Chinese countryside, can drum up a surprising number of applications. These students pay higher tuition rates, which helps the school indirectly, but immediately. And from a larger pool of applicants, the student body quality will increase as well, which in turn leads to greater prestige, and prestige results in even more applications, easier hiring of better professors, a warmer reception from employers of the school's graduates, and a wealthier and more proud alumni base. In the very long term, that alumni base will reward the school with charitable donations and also with generational loyalty.

To the extent that UH Football will now receive additional television air time, it is important to craft the appropriate image. When the camera tilts upward to view the stands, nobody is counting how many rows there are of seats, but they certainly notice whether those seats are occupied. And when there are empty stands (like at the TicketCity Bowl game), it communicates the wrong message. For most games, 40,000 seats is plenty. It'll probably be a long while before we can fill 60,000, even for the most highly anticipated of games; and if we need more than that for some special event, there's Reliant Stadium.

UH is just starting out, really. It could increase the student population to match or even exceed that of UT-Austin, but it still wouldn't be of like-kind. It'll take a while. Perhaps, a long while. In the meantime, where very-big stadium capacities are concerned, it is better to lease than to own.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to say it, but Baylor's proposed stadium looks much better.

This stadium doesn't have any defining characteristics. Kind of disappointing, but it's new, so at least it will have a better facade. It'll grow on me I'm sure.

On the other hand, the outside of the basketball stadium looks pretty good.

I hate to say it, but Baylor's proposed stadium looks much better.

This stadium doesn't have any defining characteristics. Kind of disappointing, but it's new, so at least it will have a better facade. It'll grow on me I'm sure.

On the other hand, the outside of the basketball stadium looks pretty good.

Baylor's funding includes one prominent ex Houston Major Leauge Babseball owner who just made a killing on the sale of his team. Too bad Houston money will be used to help a University in Waco.

Also, this in NOT the final design. It is a marketing design study used to generate funding and to market the project. They have only recently issued RFQ's to begin the actual design of the stadium.

Edited by shasta
  • Like 3

The students overwhelmingly supported the measure. Over 9,700 voted which smashed the all-time record for student participation. Over 73% voted for the increase.

The "win" at the ballot box means UH can float bonds and now undertake both projects (new stadium with 20,000 square feet of space for the Moores School of Music and the renovation of Hofheinz Pavilion) at the same time. The football stadium was going to happen regardless of the outcome.

Things are changing out at UH. I remember back in my grad school days when 1,000 people voting on a measure was considered a solid turnout in a student election. Today, over 26% of enrolled students participated (this includes undergrads, grad students, PhD students, part-timers, and even online students). There is definitely a sense of pride on campus and it's great to see.

• Like 2

The Chronicle reports that the UH Board of Regents has deferred approval of the stadium site until its March meeting, to allow additional study of an alternate site - the current intramural fields.

http://blog.chron.co...w-stadium-site/

The apparent advantage of the intramural fields site is that construction there would allow continued use of Robertson until the new stadium is completed. The alternate site would also allow for greater visibility of the stadium from I-45. However, this comes with additional financial costs - of approximately +$45 million (excluding costs of acquiring additional land for parking sites, etc).

Edited by Simbha

• 2 weeks later...
According to UH Residential Life and Housing,1,800 additional bed spaces are expected when the construction of two new residential halls is complete in fall 2013.

Designed for sophomores and upper level students, Cougar Place 2 is already under construction, says Executive Director of Residential Life and Housing Don Yackley. Construction of Cougar Village 2 is set to begin in April.

http://thedailycougar.com/2012/03/01/additional-student-housing-under-construction/

• 2 weeks later...