Historic Houston Images

Duce

This is actually Our Lady of Guadalupe Church (www.olghouston.org), and it was started around 1912. I think the cemetery on the grounds may be named St. Vincent's though....

Amen on that one! Thanks for correcting the name.

For interior shots of this historic church see Holy Places Topic. The school is in back) is still in operation to this day. Red brick pavement is still around the area here too. This area has several structures that have been institutions to the community for decades ie; Our Lady Of Guadalupe, Crespo Funeral Homes (across the street), Ninfa's, Morales Funeral Homes, and so on. You must check out the historical photos inside Crespo's.

Be sure to check out Villa de Matel Convent over on Lawndale/Wayside (while viewing Holy Places). You must take a tour inside the Cathedral! Pure hidden beauties of Houston. Most of the sisters and administration are Irish which gives the place more authenticity, at least to me. Very historical background of its beginnings. :P

Pasadena_Street.jpg

Is this house and the other colonial mansion still around?

That looks just like the old U of H FRAT house over by or across the street from Lawndale Forest Park Cemetary in East End? It's either Forest Hill or Palo Alto street?

Place was quite wild in the 80's ie; Animal House. It better still be there! :angry2:

That house is on Pasadena. The other house I'm referring to is on Westmorland.

The Westmoreland is miraculously still there but needs restoration badly. That one needs to be turned into a museum and have tours. No joke. It is right out of the past and well worthy of having films shot there.

There were some discussions as to why current young owners were having delayed restoring, but time is of the essence my friend. Even the homes across the street are a trip! Great example of Houston's exuberance in architecture at the turn of the century or shortly there after.

1896houseoftheHeightsdistrictHousto.jpg

1896 house of the Heights district

3380895-Unique_One_Of_A_Kind_Sites-.jpg

Freedman's Town

LyonsatJensenOctober1956.jpg

Lyons Ave and Jenson 1956

LyonsatJensen2006.jpg

Lyons Ave and Jenson today

MainStreetHoustoncirca1910.jpg

Main Street 1910

heights_blvd.jpg

Heights Blvd 1910

I like those small, Levitt Town-looking houses. That street photo had to have been taken no later than the 1940s. I don't think any of those cars had any kind of computer system under their hoods.

• 3 months later...
Well... I walked and sometimes rode my bike to the Alabama Fun club on Saturday mornings. Only, I did that scene a few years before you, in the late 40's. Jimmie Green Chevrolet was not there yet. I don't remember when it was built (early-mid 50's maybe), but it was next to the Bible Cyclorama. Then there was a Gulf station just north of him on the southeast corner of Shepherd and Westheimer. Was Chris' Coney Island still on the southwest corner of Shepherd and W. Alabama? We would go there after the movie for Coneys and liquid refreshments. From what area did you walk to the movie? I'm familiar with the territory, since I knew a lot of kids who lived close to the Alabama.

I walked from Fairview street, one block North of Westheimer. Our family home was purchased by St. Anne's Church and torn down last year. The whole neighborhood including the church yard was our playground - home by the 6:00 church bells - pretty innocent times.

Chris Coney Island was an institution but my Dad preferred to take us downtown to James Coney Island - a unique concoction of a steamed bun, grilled weiner, and lots of chopped onions and chili - we all easily downed at least 2 as little kids.

I see the old Toddle House is closed again. I don't think the funny building will survive.

I also remember Carol's Kitchen and DiMaggio's spaghetti house on the east side of Shepherd where Jimmie Green was. There was no "fine dining" as I recall until you got to Lionel's Flame Room at the present location of 59 Diner at Greenbriar and SW Fwy (which did not exist until the 1960's).

Edited by patsy

• 3 months later...

I saw a post a LONG while back by Ojy in this and another forum (where I'll be copying this post) She never did scan in all those family photos.. she's my sister, so I'll apologize for her (she's had a kiddo and is about to have another one, and they kill brain cells, ya know).

So, here's random photo I found of the car rides at Kiddie Wonderland

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/seributra_d/kw1975.JPG (not embedding it because it's not stored on my own space yet)

Here's a black and white gallery I found while web-crawling which shows some of the ugliness that was our amusement park, there towards the end: FZC photography- Kiddie Wonderland

I saved this forum in my bookmarks so I can share if I come across more (or if, heaven forbid, I manage to get access to the family albums and scan in ours, hehe).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From today's Chronicle comes this article about a large collection of documents and photos related to the early years of public transportation in Houston. The collection recently turned up in an estate sale in Missouri City, and has made its way into the hands of the author of the book about Houston's streetcars that was published about 10 years ago, and the city's Preservation Officer.

I find this of personal interest, as the estate sale was that of one of my relatives.

Chronicle article: A ride through our transportation past

It's great that the material was located and Baron can use it. Houston Electric is a neat book, and a supplement to it would be interesting.

Maybe when he is done with the material he'll give it to a library, etc...

That's his plan. It will probably go to the HMRC.

That's what I read, in the Hou. Chronicle article. Good to know a history buff found the collection, and passed on the info. Three cheers to that fellow! I'm writing out my unofficial "HAIF will" instructions, I'm making a list of names. :P

I knew this collection existed nearly 20 years ago when it was mentioned one time when we were at his house visiting. Too bad I never got to see it, but I'm thrilled it's made it into the hands of someone who will put it to good use.

Thanks so much for the post and link. Every afternoon on my commute home i pass by the old electric car right of way adjacent to 45 South and Beltway 8. Keep thinking it would be nice if someday more information surfaced to fuel my imagination.... Thanks again...

It was a real thrill to locate that collection after knowing about it all these years, but not being able to see it. When I was researching my book I contacted Lambert about the materials but he apparently wasn't in a "sharing mood" at that time. So it was really seredipidy that the collection surfaced again and someone tipped me off about it. And since I don't live in Houston anymore, it was fortunate that Randy Pace of the city historical preservation office was able to help me arrange the purchase from the estate.

The collection has a few photos but is mostly ledger books with legal documents, board meeting minutes, and other fairly esoteric stuff. I'm looking forward to going through it all, and yes, I do intend that it will eventually end up at the HMRC where it can be used by other researchers.

Thanks for the nice comments on this forum about this acquisition. I was going to post something on the Houston Chronicle site (where people comment on news stories) but you wouldn't believe the asinine comments some people have left. I decided not to waste my time there!

Steve Baron

It was a real thrill to locate that collection after knowing about it all these years, but not being able to see it. When I was researching my book I contacted Lambert about the materials but he apparently wasn't in a "sharing mood" at that time. So it was really seredipidy that the collection surfaced again and someone tipped me off about it. And since I don't live in Houston anymore, it was fortunate that Randy Pace of the city historical preservation office was able to help me arrange the purchase from the estate.

The collection has a few photos but is mostly ledger books with legal documents, board meeting minutes, and other fairly esoteric stuff. I'm looking forward to going through it all, and yes, I do intend that it will eventually end up at the HMRC where it can be used by other researchers.

Thanks for the nice comments on this forum about this acquisition. I was going to post something on the Houston Chronicle site (where people comment on news stories) but you wouldn't believe the asinine comments some people have left. I decided not to waste my time there!

Steve Baron

Well, we should be thanking you for the time and effort you're putting into it and sharing it with us.

The devil is in the details and I'm sure the ledgers give some interesting clues as to what happened. I look forward to any information you can share about it as well as a future book on the subject. :)

Oh yeah, the people at Chron.com are tools.

• 2 months later...

Hard to believe, that whole intersection (see pics above) at Lyons & Jensen has disappeared, where the Roxy Theater was, very eerie. What happened to it?

Thanks Isuredid for sharing the priceless pics! what a great thread. Anyone know anything about that Lee El. School? Sits so high on that slope, can see the back of it from I45N. What year was it built?

I like the "then and now" pictures.. IE: the one of Lyons and Jenson..

Where did all the buildings go.. Looks like a different city..

About the only thing I can see that might be the same in each is the

storm drain by the curb, and the man hole cover out in the street..

I like the "then and now" pictures.. IE: the one of Lyons and Jenson..

Where did all the buildings go.. Looks like a different city..

About the only thing I can see that might be the same in each is the

storm drain by the curb, and the man hole cover out in the street..

I have no idea. Probably didnt have no one going to those businesses and slowly just got sold off or abandoned and then torn down. In the 2006 picture it looks like there is alot of missing grass patches if those buildings were torn down a long time I would think that the grass would have covered all the area by now.

That is what makes vintage photos so good. I have a small collection now from specific photos I saved between 1950 - 1970.

On the right side the telephone pole and traffic light support look like they could still be in the same location as in the original photo.

Looks like they are. The telephone pole is probably the same one in the orignal photo but the traffic light pole was changed out obviously since they now hang the traffic lights from wires above the road instead of off to the side.