Bonnie And Clyde In Houston

isuredid

Great work- I had concluded that it was all folklore, since no one could come up with newpaper articles about their being in houston. Now we know that in Dec 33 to Apr 34 there was enough interest in bonnie and clyde being in houston that the papers did stories about them. What paper(s) were these articles from?]

The articles were from the old Houston Press.

Have you all been to this site?

http://texashideout.tripod.com/bc.htm

That website has A LOT of information in it, and maybe something about Houston?

John

That's a great website on B & C.. Best I've seen so far.. Has so much stuff I couldn't see it

all last night.. And yes, some of the pages do mention them/him being in Houston, and even

being part of a gang at one point.. I forgot the name of the gang though..

Also has a link to Blanche Barrows website, which was good too. She was actually kind

of a hottie in some pix when she was young... :) Ditto for Bonnie in some older pix, before

she hooked up with Clyde.. :/

MK

I did a bit more research on Clyde Barrow living in Houston and being part of the Root Square gang. There was another Clyde Barrow living in Houston during that time and it appears he was a bit older than the more famous Clyde...like 8 years older. It also appears that he also got into some trouble with the law and I think some of the folks writing about Clyde living in Houston were confusing the two. It may well be that there is no evidence at all that the infamous Clyde Barrow was ever in Houston.

• 8 years later...

I just came upon this today and found it interesting. Bonnie and Clyde are on Tv now. I live near San Diego, CA now. Anyway, my dad, born in 1921 in Lavaca County, TX, told me when he was young that his family lived In Houston when he was Seven years old (1929). He said my grandfather, W H Lampley, ran a gas station and was left alone and Bonnie and Clyde gang stopped and borrowed a car jack for their flat tire a few blocks away. The brought the jack back to him. I thought I would share since there wasps discussion about the gang in Houston. Dad passed on in 1989 so I can not ask him for details.

David Lampley

• 1 year later...

https://goo.gl/images/AoX1zS 

My Grandfather owned the gas station across from the "Bonnie & Clyde" house on the corner of 14th & Oxford. He'd told me when I was a kid that he'd actually given Clyde a ride to Heights Bank a few days before it was robbed as he didn't realize who Clyde was.  Said he was very nice and they had visited a few times during their occupation of the house. 

Above is a link  to the house they were supposed to have stayed.  Glad I stumbled upon this thread to bring back a great memory of my grandfather.

image.jpg

• 2 months later...

There's a family rumor that my Great Grandfather patched up the radiator on a car of B & C's, not realizing who they really were... Sadly, My G-Grandfather passed shortly after I was born, and as a jackwagon youngster, I never spoke to my Great Grandmother about it before she passed on...

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Bonnie And Clyde In Houston

Archived