Home At 330 Electra Dr.

retromodernjeff

This afternoon I saw an inspector on the roof of the house. Am I correct in assuming that when developers buy a house to tear down they don't spend money on an inspection? I'm hoping this is a good sign.

Of course this also explains the carpenters on the roof Sunday morning :blink:

This afternoon I saw an inspector on the roof of the house. Am I correct in assuming that when developers buy a house to tear down they don't spend money on an inspection? I'm hoping this is a good sign.

Of course this also explains the carpenters on the roof Sunday morning :blink:

Maybe something was up with the roof. I just checked HAR and it shows back to Active on Market

Edited by retromodernjeff

Another 75K (at least) remediation/renovation property. The central issue on this one -- at least for someone interested in preserving the original design intent and integrity -- is eliminating the current "flipper" aspects of this property. Lots of backdating necessary as well as undoing "improvements" and poorly executed repairs and "upgrades".

We stopped by one day and found the house has a less than positive vibe due to the aforementioned. Pretty unfortunate as it is a unique structure and in the hands of someone dedicated to bringing this house around it could be a real beauty.

Hope that happens.

It could be a prime "atomic ranch" in the right hands. You're right. There's a lot of work to be done. But just knowing that William Floyd said it was his favorite design in Memorial Bend should mean a lot, as should being amongst so many mods (and their mod owners) in the same neighborhood.

A lot of the time I've noticed with properties that have been remodeled that a big step is going with high class flooring. That goes a long way toward beautifying an interior.

This house seems very savable!

Jason

Another 75K (at least) remediation/renovation property. The central issue on this one -- at least for someone interested in preserving the original design intent and integrity -- is eliminating the current "flipper" aspects of this property. Lots of backdating necessary as well as undoing "improvements" and poorly executed repairs and "upgrades".

We stopped by one day and found the house has a less than positive vibe due to the aforementioned. Pretty unfortunate as it is a unique structure and in the hands of someone dedicated to bringing this house around it could be a real beauty.

Hope that happens.

"A lot of the time I've noticed with properties that have been remodeled that a big step is going with high class flooring. That goes a long way toward beautifying an interior."

Yes, there is value to be added with quality (and appropiate) flooring. But before anyone begins addressing finishes, there are crucial corrective/perventative measures to be undertaken. Namely a new roof and substrate: One could expect 15 to 25K here depending on the system used and the extent of repair necessary. Regardless of whether or not the existing roof is new or nearly new, thorough investigative efforts should occur with a new home owner.

Next would be a review of the exterior building skin and foundation. Finally, comprehensive analysis of infrastructure should be executed -- electrical, HVAC and plumbing. These are fundimental issues requiring attention before addressing backdating and finish-out.

If a new home owner wants to have a home that will survive another 50 years, systemic remediation must be undertaken.

Probably sounds like I'm on a soap box here... and I guess I am. A building is a machine... it only functions as well as its working parts. A 1957 Chevy will only go so far with original parts. Oh, you can wax it all you want but will it get you to New York?

"This house seems very savable!"

Yep.

330ele_ln.jpg

The information above is from the Memorial Bend website and was also distributed at the Mod of the Month showing of this house.

This house has some very interesting aspects. Have you noticed that when standing in the foyer near the front door, thanks to the mirrors, it appears that all three vaults are visible? Actually there are only two vaults in the living room and the third vault is in the dining room which is separated by a wall. It originally had a Sputnik style hanging light fixture in the dining room which was removed by a renter. The original exterior color scheme was vibrant aqua and black.

Do you think the addition of the second garage has thrown off the proportions too badly? I think if the front of the house was well detailed, it would go far to hold your view so that the new garage would be less noticed.

The 1966 city directory shows that Dr. John D. Reeve lived at 330 Electra and had first been listed at this address in the directory in the 1960 edition. He may have been the original owner.

• 4 years later...

...if that's the case, too bad if it went into foreclosure, hope it's not neglected too much. The roof design is very unique, not the usual flat roof mod, has three rounded tops. Hope it stays standing.

• 2 months later...

It was a Freddie Mac foreclosure listed at "lot value"

Here are the photos from a previous sale at $354,500

lr1750996-1.jpg

front view; well-known 'Mod' home by William Floyd

lr1750996-2.jpg

lr1750996-3.jpg

lr1750996-4.jpg

lr1750996-5.jpg

lr1750996-6.jpg

And the Foreclosure Pictures

lr2786185-1.jpg

lr2786185-2.jpg

lr2786185-3.jpg

lr2786185-4.jpg

lr2786185-5.jpg

lr2786185-6.jpg

lr2786185-7.jpg

lr2786185-8.jpg

Close date is set for 9/30/11

Edited by rbarz

• 4 years later...
  • The title was changed to Home At 330 Electra Dr.