Radar The Weather Dog

UrbanLandscape

I also hate how CH2 sensationalizes everything in their commercials and stuff!

One of their reports was supposed to involve the FDA's failure to approve a new patch for women with dysfunctions, and their commercial said, in big bold language...

"Learn how the Government is preventing you from enjoying your sex life...next, at 10!"

Imbeciles.

On gays, yes the old weather man (I forgot his name) seemed gay from what was his manerism as what is sterotypically considered being gay. 

I think you're referring to Chuck George, who has gone on to become chief meteorologist at a Phoenix TV station. Personally, I liked him; he had one of the few non-fake smiles at Channel 2. He was also generous with his time in giving back to the community (the whole community, not just the gay one).

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I'm new here, but I'm really bothered by the trend I see at "Local2". More like "Craphole 2."

KPRC: The Dog defines everything that is wrong with local news today. Cheap gimmick with no value (including comical) whatsoever. Everything about this channel, from the crappy graphics, to the ridiculous studio, to the sensationalization (if that's a word) of everything, to the street whore outfits, to the idiots they have as anchors. I really just hate them and I hope that the ratings really start to suffer so that they are forced to become a real newscast. And yes... the Gimme the Mike is the STUPIDEST THING THEY HAVE EVER DONE. Why do they do it??? It can't get good ratings, and the winners are God-awful. And can Dominique's hair get any bigger?? She used to be pretty, now she looks like a whore.

KTRK: This is the best station in town; I grew up with it. Gina Gaston is quality, not a token minority. Art Rascon does good reports. I miss Shara Fryer, but Dave Ward seems a little backwoods hick if you ask me. As shallow as this sounds, I do wish they hire more attractive reporters. The only one I really don't like is Darren Lin, he seems ridiculous. The graphics they have and the presentation they have has significantly improved and are now the best in town, more respectable and less 70's feeling like it did for so long.

KHOU: This is also a classy, no frills station. Lisa Faronda is probably the best looking (and still very classy and respectable... unlike Dominique) anchor in Houston.

KRIV: Don't ever watch, but it looks pretty lame.

KHWB: I really like this station. Great 9PM news and Alan and Sherrie work well together and come off as very professional. Definitely competitive with KTRK and KHOU in terms of quality, and lightyears ahead of Channel 2.

Does Channel 51 still air news? I remember a few years back..KNWS Houston 51 news. It was lame, boring, and like a combo of 39 and 26.

Then y'all need to listen more closely.

She gets a little "jiggy with it" with it when trying to be funny.

It's her true Texan trying to come out, and for the most part, she is able to suppress it.

Either that, or the false octave she tries to talk in. That McGruff man voice has got to go.

This is the sock in mouth I am talking about. That "man voice" has GOT to go. I too, am a native, and can hear right through her "professional speak".

2165417.jpg

A Houston native, Sherry earned a bachelor's degree in journalism from Texas A&M University after graduating from Lamar High School. She began her career here in Houston at KTRH AM as a reporter and weekend anchor.

In RTV/Journalism classes, one is taught to have a "professional speak". All anchors do it. Most imitate Brokaw, Jennings, Rather when they start out, to lend a authenticity to whatever garbage they're reading off the Tele-Prompter. The students are taught to disguise any recognizable accents they may have, what you term "native", so that they all sound like they could be from anywhere. I'm not really sure why you have chosen to pick on Sherry to this extent, but I think she's equal in talent to Linda Lorelle, Gina Gaston, Debra Duncan, etc. All examples of "native" speakers, from Houston, all black women in broadcast media who have represented themselves well in their communities. Give Sherry a break and if you don't like her "look" or "sound", go drool over Dominique on Ch. 2. ;)

......I really just hate them and I hope that the ratings really start to suffer so that they are forced to become a real newscast. And yes... the Gimme the Mike is the STUPIDEST THING THEY HAVE EVER DONE. Why do they do it??? It can't get good ratings, and the winners are God-awful. And can Dominique's hair get any bigger?? She used to be pretty, now she looks like a whore.

Wait. Stop. Don't hold back, tell me what you REALLY think!

Welcome Griffith...

Granted, what you're saying is a TAD harsh, I have to agree with you on most of the points in your post.

Ricco

I refuse to sugar coat this and add qualifiers like "Not so sound racist or they have gays no offense" but Channel 2 is very offensive to me because it seeks to hammer home that it is all inclusive but it really sort of mocks women and minorities while being anti-white male.

Just look at their lineup folks. 

The women on there always act like total bimbos while wearing what would be considered street walker makeup.  There was this late night ad Dominique Sachse did where she does a whole thing on Houston and how it is good where at the end 5 seconds or so she looks directly into the camera and does some eye blinking and borderline sexual eye contact.  It could have been a phone sex ad if they flashed some 900 number at the bottom.  No need to go into reporters casue you can figure that one out on your own.

With the Latino people they have some sort of mixed message.  They want to have bragging rights in saying that Bill Baleza and Gasia are Latin but their bantering and manerism is a copycat of what would be considered being "white".  They will give opinions about things from a high class historically white perspective but then pronounce Latin names including their own in a very proper ethnic way.  This kind of is insulting to my intelligence.  I am not a Latin person yet it is still offensive. 

On gays, yes the old weather man (I forgot his name) seemed gay from what was his manerism as what is sterotypically considered being gay.  The new one is the same in the AM.  I don't care what the sexuality of the weather man is as long as he gives a good report.  The producers have deliberatly made is policy to play on those stereotypes and make the weatherman seem all feminine and cheery and one step short of prancing and wearing a rainbow stciker on his forehead.  That in your face playing on stereotypes is just low.

With Blacks they have again missed the mark in getting people on board that represent and better connect with their own community.  WB 39 did a stellar job with Sherrie Williams at the anchor desk.  She reads the news like someone you would know in your life.  Linda Lorrel seems sort of stuck up and Khambrel Marshall is just way out there.  Nuff said on Marshall. 

Is it true that they lack even a single white male at the anchor desk at all times?

Rob Johnson was a great anchor guy back in the late 90's when the 4 pm news started.  He's now in Chicago.  A real old anchorwoman was Jan Carson in the 90s.  She was classy.  Also Bret Leigh was a good co-anchor back in the 90s.

I guess I would say this deliberate messing with stereotypes and what seems as purposely casting news programs based on race is what is bad. 

The station also has this slime ball way of trying so say everything and everyone is trying to rob, rape, kill, beat, molest your kids, etc....and you need channel 2 to help you and be on your side.  Nevermind that they do not hvae a problem with stikcing a mic in the face of crime victims after the ordeal. 

I just want to know the news and I could care less on what the opinion of it is by channel 2 employees.  They always paint a picture of trgaedy or danger on everything.  It's just sick.

Some of the best now defunct Houston Anchors:

Bob Nicholas (channel 2 Am show)

Claire Casademont (KHOU 5 and 6 pm)

and Steve Smith (also of KHOU)

Sylvan Rodriguez was not a great journalist.  It was a bad thing that he died from cancer but how people make him out to be the greatest journalist that every lived is dumb. 

IMHO the best news person of all time in Houston was Janet Shamlian.  She worked for KHOU in the early 90s and took a break from it all to start a family I guess.  She came back to KPRC for a few years in the late 90s but you coud tell on air she despised the trashy environment.  She subsequently quit and went into something else.  I admire and respect her for placeing her standards above "being on TV". 

I would have said Dave Ward #1 for longevity and credibility but now he is just used as a tool to add some "this is really news" to the garbage on KTRK.  When I heard Dave so stuff like the before we go segments I knew he was past his prime.

KPRC weather department was so gay it almost burned down.

Now, with those flames, Im surprised they dont have a "breaking news report" every 5 minutes about their studio burning down.

Archived