Houston sightings

editor

It's tough to tell from this photo, but the GPS maps are of downtown Houston. Spotted in a Love's Truck Stop ad outside of McComb, Mississippi.

IMG00499.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photos. The ad was situated above a urinal in the mens room, so I didn't have a er... second hand available to hold my phone steady.

Is this it? If so, I don't recognize that building or the walkway - plus, I'm sure we would have heard something about it on campus..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1aSkd1HZiI

Yeah thats the commercial. I saw it like 3 times yesterday so I did a search on rice university and the brick looks different. And a closer look shows differences.

Rice University

img_rice.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm watching America's Best Dance Crew AKA ABDC on MTV and in the intro to the new season (season 5) a dance crew is on top of one of the old Enron skyscrapers dancing. This show always has Houston represented. Many seasons like the current one is a competition between the North, South, East, and West. Houston usually always represents the South, but this year if you look at the stage they have Houston and Atlanta written into the stage for the South.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the newest episodes of "The First 48" on A&E followed the Harris County Sheriff's Department as they investigated the murder of a homeless man whose body was found in a field on I-45 near West Rd. I passed by there last week and since the episode has been filmed, a new building has been built atop the old crime scene. They also showed some footage of a neighborhood which looked to be in the Spring area and the Sheriff's Department building over on Lockwood.

Edited by JLWM8609

National Geographic (March 2010) has a nice page and a half on Houston Heights, sort of a walkable spot in the big city thing. They highlight 20 or so things in the area and have a little cartoon tourist map for them. Neat stuff.

You got me curious - here's a link to the story on their website: Houston Heights: Small Town in the Big City

• 2 weeks later...

They just did a great shot of DT Houston by Chevy that I'm sure was a national ad because it was showed during the commercials by NBC during the Winter Olympics just now.

And there's a great photo from around the same location on Flickr, but I can't find it, so I had to settle for these 2 images that that basically show the angle of where the skyline was seen from.

1.jpg

2.png

The actual commercial was around evening time, and it must've been recent, because it showed OPP and Hess Tower u/c(well it still is, but you get the point) It was really a great shot of DT, and I recall the scene about some father and son playing baseball in some undeveloped, wild field, and then constructing a baseball diamond. It showed DT at least 4 times.

Has anybody else seen it?

Got the photos from here:

http://www.flickr.co...hoto/347352059/

http://www.flickr.co...N07/4000096384/

Edited by citizen4rmptown

That Chevy commercial is idiotic. Only in auto-centric Houston would somebody park their pickup in the middle of a baseball field where kids are playing.

A commercial on the idiot box being idiotic? Go figurebiggrin.gif

BUT, a great view of DT. First, it was just a kid and his dad playing catch in an empty field, and then they turned it into a baseball field so the kids could enjoy it. They parked the truck there to show it, it was a CHEVY commercial after all, not a little league ad. Nothing to do with Houston being auto-centric. Guess you didn't get the point.

• Like 1

The movie Crazy Heart had a substantial portion of its running time set in "Houston". I use the quotations because excepting the establishing shot of the main character's Suburban driving down Memorial with a shot of the skyline in the background, I don't think any of the rest of Houston was actually featured. I think the actual filming was done in Los Angeles.