Houston sightings

editor

• 2 weeks later...

I saw an (I think) IBM commercial that was naming cities and Houston was named.

Any ways, Here is a new song that has Houston in it. Its by Canadian artist hip hop/r&p Drake and its called Houstalantavegas, or HoustonAtlantaVegas, or Houston, Atlanta, Vegas. He has a lot of good music, and a lot of His inspiration comes from Houston artist as you can here in some of his other songs. Some of the younger people in here might know him from the Canadian teen show Degrassi.

• Like 1

Several days ago, I noticed that Houston was one of the cities repeatedly referred to on "Life After Humans" on the History Channel. In one segment, they talked about how a Texas computer game designer has stowed away a digitized copy of the human genome on the International Space Station. And then it looked like in the next segment they were going to have an asteroid strike Houston somewhere near downtown...but I missed that part.

Why must asteroids always strike downtown areas within the United States? You'd think that every now and again they'd strike some small town in a poor country that Americans can't pronounce the name of. ...or an inconsequential body of water. ...or a polar cap.

I think it was the International Space Station falling behind Downtown (from Spot's Park/Waugh over Allen Pkwy.), and they seemed to have a Houston/Boston theme. I think each one is a different focus of cities.

• 1 month later...
I think it was the International Space Station falling behind Downtown (from Spot's Park/Waugh over Allen Pkwy.), and they seemed to have a Houston/Boston theme. I think each one is a different focus of cities.

Houston got featured again. They set off the Ship Channel like a string of fire crackers. They also are featuring the Hill Country, San Antonio, and Detroit.

have been watching "Americas Got Talent" where they do auditions in Wortham Center in Downtown.

Ive been watching the shows, but maybe ive missed some, but they do show about 5 seconds in the 1st episode showcasing all the audition cities where they go up then down from downtown to a crowd shouting "Houston's Got Talent!"

Have they aired the Houston auditions,yet? or did they pass?

si.com ranks the best/worst cities for free agents to go to:

4. Houston: I was surprised several years ago when I learned how many players league-wide spend their offseasons living and working out in this steamy city. Now that the Rockets are loaded and with management that can explain in intricate detail why you're the perfect fit for their system, it's an even greater place to be in-season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...tml?eref=sihpT1

Edited by lockmat

I keep seeing a BP commercial where it ask people about the future of energy??? I think. Well the point is they should some guy standing in a park and you could see the 2727 high rise under construction in the background.

si.com ranks the best/worst cities for free agents to go to:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...tml?eref=sihpT1

no.10 was san antonio, and it said "there might not be a ton of entertainment options here",

i thought there was a lot to do there, at least more than houston(minus the sports and museums)

did they mean the nightlife?

no.10 was san antonio, and it said "there might not be a ton of entertainment options here",

i thought there was a lot to do there, at least more than houston(minus the sports and museums)

did they mean the nightlife?

SA is lacking in the performing arts, and strip clubs.

I always found SA to be a crappy town for live music but a great place for neighborhood bars. Also rec league softball, dart league, and other relics of blue collar life, are still popular there. And the number and frequency of big, really good festivals easily trumps Houston. Not to mention the 2 theme parks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If anyone remembers Cynthia Hunt from channel 2 news and later from the Chris Baker radio show, she's a contestant tonight on some reality show on SoapNet called "Holidate" in which two women switch cities and dating scenes with each other. I'd never heard of it until yesterday and it looks like garbage, but here's the promo if you're interested:

http://sn.soapnet.go.com/video/week-holidate

Behind the scenes video of the Houston episode:

http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-holidate-story,0,1854719.story

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

If anyone remembers Cynthia Hunt from channel 2 news and later from the Chris Baker radio show, she's a contestant tonight on some reality show on SoapNet called "Holidate" in which two women switch cities and dating scenes with each other. I'd never heard of it until yesterday and it looks like garbage, but here's the promo if you're interested:

http://sn.soapnet.go.com/video/week-holidate

Behind the scenes video of the Houston episode:

http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-holidate-story,0,1854719.story

Oh yeah, i saw that. Interesting that they go to the Houston Zoo. Any major city has one, so at least do something that only Houston can offer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

can we no longer attach Youtube Videos?

The H-O-US-T-O-N Video:

Shows a lot of the famous buildings in Houston in a cartoonish kind of way. Also shows the Greenspoint skyline. ts kind of old, but I thought you guys would like to see it.

Edited by citykid09

I'm surprised no one mentioned this:

During an episode of the "Big Bang Theory", they showed a view of Westheimer heading AWAY from Williams Tower to where "Sheldon" lived.

Who knew "Sheldon" lived in the West Side? LOL!

Makes me wonder if Jim Parsons, a Houston Native, had anything to do with the selection.

can we no longer attach Youtube Videos?

The H-O-US-T-O-N Video:

Shows a lot of the famous buildings in Houston in a cartoonish kind of way. Also shows the Greenspoint skyline. ts kind of old, but I thought you guys would like to see it.

YouTube embeds work fine. Click the "Media" button: media.png

In fact, they work better now because you can paste the entire web address in.

• 4 weeks later...

On The History Channel's "Modern Marvels" show, they profiled Houston's Transtar on an episode about dangerous roads. They showed footage of flooded freeways during Allison and they also showed the weather sensors they've placed all along the highways here to warn of dangerous conditions. The sensors are those white, cylindrical objects with antennas on top. I know there's one at S. MacGregor an 288.

Maybe this is already know but the History Channel is talking about the Delorian Motor Company...based in Houston. They're actually in Humble. I just saw one of these the other day.

The History Channel must really like Houston. They aired a rerun of a special from 2007 or 08 about Superhighways which featured the then ongoing Katy Freeway reconstruction.

I know that we have talked about this before, but TLC does a great job of promoting all that is good in Houston with the two series, Big Medicine and The Little People. The cameras always show such flattering shots of the city and these shows are on every week for the world to see.

I know that we have talked about this before, but TLC does a great job of promoting all that is good in Houston with the two series, Big Medicine and The Little People. The cameras always show such flattering shots of the city and these shows are on every week for the world to see.

There should be many more shows taped in Houston from now on since the State passed that filming incentive a few months ago.

• 4 weeks later...

In season 2 of Criminal Minds, there's an episode that takes place in Houston with mention of the Eastex Freeway, a service road (we call them FEEDER roads here people :rolleyes:) Lyons Ave, and an 8 story building imploding on Market (Hollywood loves explosions!). It deals with a guy with PTSD changing a flat tire on Lyons near 59 when the implosion on Market triggers his PTSD. Of course they didn't film it here as Houston has suffered the touch of Hollywood with hills in 5th Ward. :rolleyes:

In the current print edition of 'The Economist' there is a Deutsche Bank ad with Houston makes up most of a little photoshop city in the background. You can see the Fulbright building, 1300 Fannin, what is probably 2 Houston Center, the Anadarko Tower, part of the Wells Fargo building and others. These sit immediately behind some European style buildings, and the city as a whole seems to be on a lake shore with some hills in the background. Interesting idea, one supposes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched a show on History recently called "Prehistoric New York." It talked about the dinosaurs and creatures that roamed Manhattan thousands of years ago. The show featured about five scientists and professors. One of them was from the Houston Museum of Natural Science.