Houston sightings

editor

This may be a little extreme but I notice it everytime I see the commercial. I forgot what company it was for but has anyone seen a commercial with Park IV and V buildings on Montrose shown from the outside at night and there are like three or four people on a couch watching TV for something? It was far from a local commercial if you all were wondering.

Edited by WesternGulf

• 1 month later...

Do any of you use Yahoo Avatars? Well their Jeep Avatar has Houston's downtown skyline as the background for the Jeep compass. I guess Houston is the showcase city for that SUV because everytime I see one in the media, I always see Houston in the background.

pa0010003905_catalog.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught the end of the Dr. Phil show (not a big fan) this afternoon. The jist of the show was that he had hired private detectives to hunt down someone pulling telephone scams here in Houston. Lots of local shots, mostly of freeways and tarot card/palm reading establishments.

Tomorrow Dr. Phil promises to kick some scammer butt, so if seeing Houston on national TV trips your trigger, tune in.

Lots of local shots, mostly of freeways and tarot card/palm reading establishments.

Well, at least he caught the local flavor.

Speaking of Houston sightings, there is a New York Stock Exchange commercial that discusses all of the various companies on the exchange. As they talk, a caricature of a light rail train winds across the screen with 'Siemens' across the top of the train. The train is METRO's light rail train, even though it does not say Houston on it.

EDIT: Well, looky here! They have the ad on their website.

http://www.nyse.com/Frameset.html?nyseref=...10262006ontrack

Edited by RedScare

• 4 weeks later...

mmgbook.jpg

This is from a play thats based out of Houston along with the production company "Im Ready Productions" which is also based in Houston.

http://www.imreadyproductions.com/

They are doing for Houston what Tyler Perry is doing for Atlanta. I wonder when they will sart movies and TV shows based out of Houston like Tyler Perry did for Atlanta.

I saw a show on the Food Network dedicated to explaining Houston's diverse food culture (from tex-mex to bbq, to soul food, to Houston's veitnamese culture). They spent a lot of time on Main Street downtown showing the Rail splashing its way through fountains. Anyone watching from outside of Houston may have had the impression that our city is densely populated city united by mass transit. They also showed Downtown's retail and dining scene (it over stated it significantly).

• 2 weeks later...
You get a nice view of the Transco Tower and some of the Uptown area in the begining of Trae's "In the Hood" video. I wonder where that part was shoot from? Thats an amazing view!

It's a bad thing when glamour thug low-lifes like that mention Houston. It's no wonder we've got kids killing people over dogs, they're brains are filled with that sort of evil influence.

Well, at least he caught the local flavor.

Speaking of Houston sightings, there is a New York Stock Exchange commercial that discusses all of the various companies on the exchange. As they talk, a caricature of a light rail train winds across the screen with 'Siemens' across the top of the train. The train is METRO's light rail train, even though it does not say Houston on it.

EDIT: Well, looky here! They have the ad on their website.

http://www.nyse.com/Frameset.html?nyseref=...10262006ontrack

Well, looks like they have a few Houston buildings in the skyline at the end (BOA, THP I think, etc...)

scommercialhoustonfl1.jpg

Edited by UrbaNerd

• 1 month later...

A big Houston sighting, currently in progress on CNN. It is a special report entitled "How to Rob a Bank", set in Houston. They've got a whole lot of short clips around town, especially downtown, but also heavily in the 77057 zip code, including the HEB on Westheimer and the apartments along Fountainview, just south of San Felipe.

For some strange reason, they even had a few short seconds filmed within my condominium complex over in 77054, where the mailwoman opened up a whole set of mailboxes as the reporter looked on. Very strange, since they didn't mention anything at all about their locale and mailbox-opening shots should be pretty easy to come by.

A big Houston sighting, currently in progress on CNN. It is a special report entitled "How to Rob a Bank", set in Houston. They've got a whole lot of short clips around town, especially downtown, but also heavily in the 77057 zip code, including the HEB on Westheimer and the apartments along Fountainview, just south of San Felipe.

For some strange reason, they even had a few short seconds filmed within my condominium complex over in 77054, where the mailwoman opened up a whole set of mailboxes as the reporter looked on. Very strange, since they didn't mention anything at all about their locale and mailbox-opening shots should be pretty easy to come by.

I saw it and was going to reply on here about it. They also went to some really nice shopping area that I had never seen, I think one of the criminals spent a lot of money there.

• 7 months later...

There's a commercial that airs fairly regularly on the cable news channels for Stanford Financial Group. It shows their building in the Galleria area as well as a few other shots around town, and at the end someone is crossing a street with the old Federal Land Bank in the background. Nice production values since it is a nationally aired commercial.

• 2 weeks later...
The Rock's new movie ("The Game Plan" or something like that) has a Houston flyover in its full trailer.

The director, Andy Fickman, is from Houston. He also proposed an idea to Disney for a movie about a swim team in Houston, based on a real-life experience of his. If it happens, it would be shot entirely here according to the Chronicle.

"The Game Plan" was a big hit over the weekend.

Here's the article I was talking about if anyone's interested:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/5169915.html

He's also sold Disney a personal project called Pool Rats, based on a summer he spent coaching a swim team in Houston. Fickman promises "a Meatballs tone" and to shoot it here entirely.

"I was a lifeguard and ran the pool at Memorial Club Townhouses," he said. "I want the spirit of Houston, with no Georgia accents by way of Hollywood. I want it to be authentic."

With Witch Mountain first, Pool Rats will have to wait. But Fickman can smell the barbecue already.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On Yahoo's homepage today in the featured section, an image of, excuse me for not knowing the new name, enron tower II and the skybridge was shown with the title of the article reading:

Most-lucrative real estate

Find the neighborhoods in America which have experienced the greatest price appreciation.

• 1 month later...
I was looking for a song when I came across this radio station in North Carolina that has Downtown Houston in the background at the top of the screen.

http://102jamz.com/pages/286762.php?

LOL. Kind of ironic too, since "Majic 102.1" here in Houston used to be referred to as "102 Jamz" or "Majic 102 Jamz" before 97.9 came along.