Sugar Land May Gain 30-40,000 Residents In Proposed Annexing

shinoda28107

I just found out that the City of Sugarland will begin the process of annexing the surrounding area that will bring the city's population past 110,000 residents. Does any one have any more information on this?

Where you find this at. ^_^

Galveston...Sugar Land?

Too bad The Woodlands isn't incorporated...guess the 4th will be Conroe or Katy someday.

Too bad Cypress unincorporated in 1989...before it started booming in the mid 1990's. I'd love to see it re-incorporate.

Good for Sugar Land.

Is Pearland incorporated?

Galveston...Sugar Land?

Too bad The Woodlands isn't incorporated...guess the 4th will be Conroe or Katy someday.

Too bad Cypress unincorporated in 1989...before it started booming in the mid 1990's. I'd love to see it re-incorporate.

Good for Sugar Land.

Pasadena. Wake up.

Galveston...Sugar Land?

Good for Sugar Land.

1. Houston

2. Pasadena

3. Sugarland

4. Baytown

5. Galveston

(If The Woodlands were incorporated, it would be 4th)

BTW....The Sugarland annexation is fairly old news. The plans have been public since last November.

Here is the link: Sugarland Annexation

It says, "Sugar Land is also working with other municipal utility districts in the extraterritorial jurisdiction to develop strategic partnership agreements that will outline service and annexation agreements. Communities in these MUDs are Greatwood, New Territory, Riverpark and those in the Plantation MUD (sections of Tara Colony and Tara Plantation)"

The combined population of these communities in Sugarland's extraterritorial jurisdiction is slightly less than 50,000. If they were to be annexed by Sugarland, the city's population could far exceed 100,000.

Edited by shinoda28107

If everything under the Katy address was incorporated into the City of Katy, Katy would have 185,000.

Yeah, the Greater Katy area has a lot of people. But most of it is in Houston's extraterritorial jurisdiction. Katy has very little e.j. unlike Sugarland.

Yep. It is incorporated and is located in six different school districts.

The city of Pearland, I believe, is around 48,000 population -- according to the newest population signs on Pearland Parkway. The older ones on 35 say 36,000. I've read that the Pearland ETJ numbers over 100,000, but I don't know what determines that.

Edited by dalparadise

The city of Pearland, I believe, is around 48,000 population -- according to the newest population signs on Pearland Parkway. The older ones on 35 say 36,000. I've read that the Pearland ETJ numbers over 100,000, but I don't know what determines that.

The ETJ is also a defined boundary. Many cities have their own ETJs.

Edited by VicMan

Even without any significant annexation, Pearland's 2010 population is expected to be between 65K-70K. Lots of home construction there within the existing city limits. League City is expected to gain a significant amount in population without significant annexation as well. League City's already estimated to have about 66,000 residents.

• 10 years later...

I'm somewhat surprised this thread and this one were the only ones discussing the topic in any form that I could find.

Regardless, within the past couple of weeks, the city announced it will annex both the New Territory and Greatwood Subdivisions by December 17th of next year. The total population is exepcted to increase from 87, 000 to 117,000.

Here's the press release from the city.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Sugar Land May Gain 30-40,000 Residents In Proposed Annexing
  • 2 years later...

Sugar Land's city limits may be nudging south a bit in the not-too-distant future. 

About 960 acres in the ETJ south of Greatwood, east of Tara and west of Royal Lakes is set to be developed by Pulte Homes into a community of up to 2650 single-family homes and up to 200 independent senior living units. 60 acres would be used for office and retail space. Some form of parks and recreation would be included as well.

City utilities for water & wastewater treatment will be extended to this development as will FD & EMS services.

That overall development could be annexed into the city a year after the water, drainage and road infrastructure is completed.

Based on the 2022 map of the Rosenberg City Limits & ETJ - this is now the easternmost boundary of the Rosenberg city limits and is almost as far southwest as Sugar Land's ETJ runs at the moment. 

• Like 2