Memories Of Aldine

Background on area roads

Airline Drive - so named because supposedly that's the path a crow would fly to Dallas in an "air line." Doesn't make sense to me but...

Airline was originally the road to Dallas from Houston. It has also been known as East Montgomery Road. In 1917, Texas designated it as State Highway 19. In 1927, control passed from the state to the federal governement and Airline was redesignated U.S. Highway 75. In 1944, U.S. 75 was changed to the newly opened section of North Shepherd Drive (which today lies under I-45). Airline Drive was redesignated as L149, a designation which apparently was dropped sometime in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Beltway 8 North - opened as a frontage road in 1970 from the North Freeway to the Eastex Freeway, providing access to the new Intercontinental Airport. At crossover intersections, such as Hardy and Aldine Bender, overpasses were built to allow drivers to bypass stop signs and traffic lights. In 1984, the portion from I-45 east to JFK Blvd was upgraded to full freeway status. However, the interchange at 1-45 was not fully completed until 2003.

Sam Houston Tollway North - a small frontage road only segment opened in the late 1980s from I-45 west to Ella Blvd. In 1990, the full freeway tollroad opened from I-45 west to U.S. 290.

Aldine Bender - date opened unknown. Portion from Hardy west to Airline was referred to simply as Aldine Road. Portion from Hardy east to the present U.S. 59 was called Aldine Bender because it connected the communities of Aldine and Bender. In 1945, Texas designated the roadway as F.M. 525. In 1995, this designation was amended to Urban Road 525.

Tomball Parkway - The Tomball Parkway has had many designations, names and paths throughout the years. When the road first opened is unknown, however, it was originally called West Montgomery Road. In 1949, the state of Texas redesignated West Montgomery Road from its origin at Tidwell and North Shepherd north to Tomball as F.M. 149, which was already an existing F.M. road north of the town. In 1988, the state redesignated the road north of Breen as State Highway 249 and upgraded it. In 1997, the portion north of the Sam Houston Tollway (out of the Aldine ISD) was updgraded to freeway status nad given the name Tomball Parkway.

West Mount Houston - West Mount Houston was originally known as Airline Link Road and extended from West Montgomery Road (F.M. 149) to Stuebner Airline. In 1956, the road was extended to Halls Bayou, just east of U.S. 75 (North Shepherd). The state designated the road as F.M. 2430. In 1960, the state rerouted F.M. 149 along Airline Link Road and changed West Montgomery Road to F.M. 2430 from Tidwell/North Shepherd to Airline Link. In 1962 the road was extended over Halls Bayou to connect it with Airline Drive, although F.M. 149 designation stopped at U.S. 75. Apparently at this time the road from Airline west to West Montgomery was changed to West Mount Houston.

West Road - Have heard this road was named for a local farmer, but have no idea when it started.

North Freeway - In 1944, North Shepherd was extended from Tidwell north to Aldine Bender. U.S. 75 was moved from Airline to North Shepherd. In 1963, the North Freeway was built over the section north of Canino and redesignated as Interstate 45. Interestingly enough, several businesses along the new North Freeway still identified themselves as being on North Shepherd Drive into the 1970s.

Stuebner Airline - Start date unknown. In 1984, the portion through AISD from North Shepherd to F.M. 1960 was renamed Veterans' Memorial Drive.

Hill Road - Appears to have been named for W.L. Hill who conducted a survey of the area.

Sweetwater Lane - Originally called Hacker Road, apparently after D. Hacker, who did a survey of the area. Around 1965 Hacker Road became Sweetwater Lane.

West Nellis Road - another street named for a surveyor.

If anyone can add to this list, by all means, help yourself...

Yep. Here's the entry from the Handbook of Texas:

Howellville, south of Brays Bayou near the Fort Bend county line and ten miles southwest of Houston in southwestern Harris County, began as a station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. It was named for T. E. Howell, owner of the townsite.

It shows up on my 1953 map of Houston. As for Dairy Ashford, the road at that time must have run from U.S. 90 to Beeler Road (Westheimer).

The Handbook of Texas reports that Ashford (along with Thompson Switch) is another name for Satsuma.

Also, now that I remember this, there was an effort to have the I-45/Dyna, West Road area designated as part of the Texas Independence Trail. I don't know what came of it, but apparently some fighters traveled through the area en route to San Jacinto.

In fact, there's a mural on the side of a building (if it hasn't been ruined by graffitti) on Airline Road in that area that depicts Texas independence. It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I think that's what it depicted. I know it was tied to the supposed link to Texas independence.

Yes, I've seen that same story about the mural and about how apparently some soldiers moved through there on their way to San Jacinto. The mural is on the side of Casa Linda restaurant on Airline at Buckboard. Oddly, although I grew up in the area, I've never eaten there.

One of the soldiers from San Jacinto, John Frederick Schlobohm returned to the area after the battle of San Jacinto and was one of the first settlers in the Aldine area, building a homestead on Greens Bayou, according the Aldine ISD web site.

Edited by Firebird65

West Mount Houston - West Mount Houston was originally known as Airline Link Road and extended from West Montgomery Road (F.M. 149) to Stuebner Airline. In 1956, the road was extended to Halls Bayou, just east of U.S. 75 (North Shepherd). The state designated the road as F.M. 2430. In 1960, the state rerouted F.M. 149 along Airline Link Road and changed West Montgomery Road to F.M. 2430 from Tidwell/North Shepherd to Airline Link. In 1962 the road was extended over Halls Bayou to connect it with Airline Drive, although F.M. 149 designation stopped at U.S. 75. Apparently at this time the road from Airline west to West Montgomery was changed to West Mount Houston.

That screwy 1964 map of mine lists the road now located at West Mt. Houston and I-45 as Westbrook.

I guess West Mount Houston was named as an extension of Mount Houston road.

That screwy 1964 map of mine lists the road now located at West Mt. Houston and I-45 as Westbrook.

Perhaps one of the most enduring question in Houston is: Where is Mount Houston?

Most people always thought it was that goofy ski slope on the SW Freeway at Loop 610 that didn't last long.

Me? I always envisioned it was a pile of used tires somewhere.

You know, you may want necessarily want to discount that map. Yes, they mispelled Balaban Plaza as Balasan, but I can't be certain they are wrong in this case. I contend it is wrong and believe it is incorrect, however, I can't say that with 100% certainty. It is possible that it could have been known as Westbrook for a short time. I personally doubt it, but that's why I sometimes end my posts with the saying "if anyone can add to this..." just in case the fault is with me.

Edited by Firebird65

Perhaps one of the most enduring question in Houston is: Where is Mount Houston?

Most people always thought it was that goofy ski slope on the SW Freeway at Loop 610 that didn't last long.

Me? I always envisioned it was a pile of used tires somewhere.

You know, you may want necessarily want to discount that map. Yes, they mispelled Balaban Plaza as Balasan, but I can't be certain they are wrong in this case. I contend it is wrong and believe it is incorrect, however, I can't say that with 100% certainty. It is possible that it could have been known as Westbrook for a short time. I personally doubt it, but that's why I sometimes end my posts with the saying "if anyone can add to this..." just in case the fault is with me.

The Exciting Discovery of Mount Houston

I got a kick out of this

Link to Webpage

MOUNT HOUSTON, TEXAS. Mount Houston is east of U.S. Highway 59 near the Dyersdale oilfield in north central Harris County. It was founded on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway ten miles from Houston. A post office operated there from 1910 until 1918. In 1914 Mount Houston had two churches, a sawmill, a lumber company, numerous market gardeners, and a population of 100. By the 1980s three churches and three schools were within a mile of the townsite, but the community had not significantly increased in size.

Diana J. Kleiner

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

I was at Harris County looking for something else, but I spent a few minutes seeing what I could find on Aldine. It looks like it was originally platted in November of 1888. The verbage says that Aldine is what the railroad folks called the place, but it didn't say why they called it that. The tale about calling folks to dinner sounds very hokey to me. I don't think that was common English even back then and why would they start to feed people when they had just left Houston?

Aldine_Plat_III.jpg

What a great find! Wonder what became of that? I don't see any such streets with those names today. I'll have to compare that with the Harris County block books to see if the names have been changed. That appears to have happened alot. I saw a block book wher Aldine Mail Route was called White Avenue, or something like that. I didn't write it down so that may be incorrect. But it was definitely called something else at one time.

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?!? Every time I try to post a pic, I get an error message that says dynamic sites are not allowed. I am using imagevenue.com.

How does one post a pic on this site? All I can do is post links.

Edited by Firebird65

Great info. But, who was Huffsmith? Almost every road in our area seems to have his name in it.

Great info. But, who was Huffsmith? Almost every road in our area seems to have his name in it.

Here you go.

HUFSMITH, TEXAS. Hufsmith, on Farm Road 2978 and the International-Great Northern railroad north of Tomball in extreme northern Harris County, was founded in 1872 as a station stop midway on the line from Spring to Navasota. It was named for Frank Huffsmith, a railroad superintendent. Local farmers grew cotton and potato crops. Early residents were blacks who came after the Civil War,qv among them Anderson King, a former slave who gave land for a school. In 1905 the school had fifty black students and one teacher. A Hufsmith post office operated from 1902 until the 1980s. In 1914 Hufsmith had a population of 150, four general stores, and a cotton gin. In 1936 the community had two churches, a school, and a sawmill. In 1940 the population was 250. In 1963 the community had a tavern, a liquor store, a laundry, a cafe, and two gas stations; by the 1980s only a cemetery, an abandoned railroad station, and scattered dwellings remained, but the population of the community was still reported at 250 in 2000.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: The Heritage of North Harris County (n.p: North Harris County Branch, American Association of University Women, 1977). Vertical Files, Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin.

Diana J. Kleiner

While I was at it I looked through all the Harris County Deed records up to 1903 and there was never a person named Aldine who bought property in Harris County during that time, but like the caption says, the Railroad named the town. Maybe someone named Aldine worked for the Railroad.

Great work, isuredid.

If I go through the deed records looking for who owned the land that my parents' house sat on, what kind of information do I need? I have the address if course, and the lot number, but what I'm looking for is who owned the land BEFORE the subdivision was built as far back as I can find.

How can I do that and is it something that can be done online or do I need to go downtown?

It appears the the surname "Aldine" is Venetian/Italian decent. There is documentation referring to the Aldine family is the most well known of the Venetian printers dating back to 1494. Aldine, was the most celebrated printers in Italy. Who is not familiar with the anchor and dolphin of the Aldine family? The Aldine press had various marks during the century of its existence, from 1494 to 1598, but they were all variations of the anchor and dolphin, the anchor representing stability and the dolphin, grace in execution. No Italian printers ever approached the Aldines in beauty of typography.

Now thats right after Columbus sailed if I remember right. perhaps there was a share cropper of Italian decent with the last name of Aldine. All reference to the RR naming it after a "local farm family"they mat never had any property deeded to them. And census prior to 1900 may not be reliable.

You will probably have to go downtown. I don't think you will find what you are looking for online. I don't know what your neighborhood was called, but is probably not that old. How I would approach it would probably depend on what year the house was built. If it was built before the 60s I would go to Harris County Archives at 102A San Jacinto (upstairs) and look up the plat Map for the neighborhood in the map index records and then go look at the map.

Usually the developers names will be listed on the plat map somewhere. You could then use that information to go to the grantee deed records for years close to the dates on the map and see who they bought the land from. The plat map will have the acreage and you can probably use that to match up the section your house was in. If you already know who the developer was you can skip the map part, but you might want to look at it anyway.

Everything eventually leads back to the original land grant folks. The map says that Aldine itself was in the C. Walter and Joseph Hopkins surveys, but that doesn't mean your neighborhood was. If you can find the point when it was still acreage you will find which land grant survey it was in.

Joseph Hopkins was a Class 1 land grant of 1476 acres and Hopkins received the patent in 1841.

C. Walter also recieved a Class 1 land grant of 1476 acres plus some bounty land

You can go here to read about Texas Land Grants. Everything starts here:

Texas Land Grant Database

thanks!

I know some of what you've posted. For example, I have seen the plat of my subdivision (Northline Terrace, Section 2), so I know it's based on the Martin K. Snell Survey for my section and the W.L. Hill Survey for Section 3. I also know the developer (Oak Glen Building Company).

When I looked in that database you provided, I found Martin K. Snell listed as the original grantee and the patentee of John Fitzgerald for 1476 acres on September 18, 1847.

So...

A) Did I do this correctly?

B) If so, is it then fair (based on what I've provided) to say that Martin K. Snell was the original owner of the land my parents' house sat on and that he sold or transferred it to John Fitzgerald in 1847?

C) And if so, that between 1847 and 1964, Fitzgerald or his heirs either subdivided and sold it at various times until it eventually became Northline Terrace?

Thanks again for your help!

Wow! I recognize a few of those names.

Obviously Martin K. Snell, of course, but also W.S. Novell (that's where the original Aldine High stands) and Simon Contreras (where the current one stands). Also Thomas Nellis.

I take it then that the surveys aren't named for surveyors, as I had thought, but for landowners, is that right? That would mean the D. Hacker and W.L. Hill surveys, which appear from that map to be a subdivision of part of Martin Snell are named for people who later bought land from either Snell or Fitzgerald, is that a resonable assumption at this point?

And finally, what does "patented" mean in regards to land grants? Is a patentee the same thing as a grant holder?

What a great find! Wonder what became of that? I don't see any such streets with those names today. I'll have to compare that with the Harris County block books to see if the names have been changed. That appears to have happened alot. I saw a block book wher Aldine Mail Route was called White Avenue, or something like that. I didn't write it down so that may be incorrect. But it was definitely called something else at one time.

aldine.jpg

A couple of those streets do still exist today. Here's a aerial map from live.com that shows the town center of Aldine. You'll find that Colby, Willis, and Cagle still exist going North to South. It doesn't appear that any of the East to West streets still exist however. It would seem most probable thought that Hodgkins Street may be the same as Hooker street, changed names for obvious reasons.

As for AHS being called Alamo HS, not sure where you got that but the current school has always been called Aldine High. The original campus, built in 1936 at Aldine Westfield and Aldine Bender, was also called Marrs High School, named for former Texas state superintendent of schools Starlin Marion Newberry Marrs. Not sure of what the connection was between Marrs and AISD was, especially since he died four years before the school was built, but he must have impressed someone.

Going through newspapers from 1936 to 1954, I've found no record of the school ever being referred to as Marrs High by anyone other than AISD. All news reports, be they general news or sports stories, always call it Aldine High.

Wow, that's interesting - my grandmother was born in 1925 on Stuebner-Airline, and whenever I asked her what high school she went to, she'd get confused, and sometimes she would say "S. M. N. Marrs," but other times she'd say "Aldine Senior High." I could never get straight which was which... she was developing Alzheimer's at the time. This explains it.

So there's nothing left of the original school then? I've noticed some old buildings across the road from Thorne Stadium before... always thought that might be it.

If you've ever driven down West Montgomery just after it splits from the Tomball Parkway (where it curves to the north), you'll notice several schools. These are part of Klein. If you're like me, you might have wondered how in the world schools near Acres Homes ever got in the Klein school district when Klein is near Stubner Airline and Louetta. Looking at a map of Klein ISD you'll immediately notice a very odd narrow finger of land jutting to the south. That's the area Klein picked up from the defunct North Houston district. for someone who lives in that area, it must be a real bear to have to go to one of the Klein high schools so far away.

Klein acquired that area as part of integration in the 1960's. I don't think it was anyone's choice, but perhaps people benefitted from it. I know that Sylvester Turner, of Acres Homes, was voted Mr. KHS in 1972.

Klein acquired that area as part of integration in the 1960's. I don't think it was anyone's choice, but perhaps people benefitted from it. I know that Sylvester Turner, of Acres Homes, was voted Mr. KHS in 1972.

You may be right about it not being anyone's choice about who gets the school district when it dissolves. I didn't post this originally because I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I seem to remember reading a story in the Chronicle about the possibility of North Forest ISD dissolving and the potential ramifications to the students and the schools.

As I said, I may (and probably don't) have this accurate, but seems to me that I recall reading that the state forces the neighboring school districts into dividing the defunct district. The story interviewed spokespersons from both Aldine and Humble and neither seemed too happy about taking on portions of North Forest.

So there's nothing left of the original school then? I've noticed some old buildings across the road from Thorne Stadium before... always thought that might be it.

From the Post and Chronicle stories I've read, the shop building, the field house and the gymnasium were the only structures to survive, and that's because none of these were connected to the original school. Perhaps these are those buildings? Anyone know?

The gymnasium was a fairly new structure, replacing an earlier 1936 building that burned down in 1948. Guess they didn't have sprinklers back then.

I actually have the Aldine fire story from the 11/26/54 Houston Post in front of me right now. Some message boards frown on reposting newspaper articles. I'll post it here for your enjoyment, but if there's a problem with copyright, I'll gladly remove it. I know the Chronicle (the owner of the Post's copyrights) is really funny about what you can do with their material. Sure don't want to violate anyone's copyright.

SCHOOL OFFICIALS HUNTING NEW HOME AFTER ALDINE HIGH BURNS

Houston Post

Edited by Firebird65

You may be right about it not being anyone's choice about who gets the school district when it dissolves. I didn't post this originally because I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I seem to remember reading a story in the Chronicle about the possibility of North Forest ISD dissolving and the potential ramifications to the students and the schools.

When did you read the article?

When did you read the article?

It took me a moment to find it, but I went to the Chronicle's archives, typed in Aldine, Judy Williams, North Forest. I remember Judy Williams as being Aldine's person quoted in the story.

It came back as a story from 12/19/88 under the headline "Troubled N. Forest ISD may face uncertain future". Here are the relevant paragraphs:

But if North Forest did lose its accreditation and funding, a neighboring school district could absorb it. There are two ways another school district can adopt children from a defunct district, said Kirby.

Consolidation between the defunct district and another school district is one way to ensure children are educated, but that takes a majority vote by both school districts' residents, said Kirby. Politics and the financial burden of absorbing another district would affect whether a consolidation took place.

One of the reasons an adopting school district would be a white knight is because it wouldn't be taking over the educating of North Forest children for any great financial reward, said John Privett with the Tax Research Association, a local watchdog organization. North Forest is a property-poor district.

"I don't think it (North Forest) would be attractive, but I think a district would maybe (absorb it) in an effort to do the right thing and deliver a good education," Privett said.

The other, longer way for the children to be transferred to another district would be for North Forest to abolish itself and send out word - through the Commissioners Court - that its children needed an educational benefactor, said Kirby.

Even though the school district would no longer exist, the surrounding districts are under no obligation to educate the children, said Kirby.

If none of the districts wants to absorb North Forest, he said, the individual parents would have to shop for a school willing to educate their children - at least for a year.

After a school district has been abolished for 12 months, Kirby said he can declare the district a "dormant district" and request the county Commissioners Court to assign the children of a defunct district to any one or several nearby districts regardless of the wishes of the adopting district.

Army Rolls for the Republic of Texas

Men that served in the Texas Army

Source: Texas State Archives Online Index, Subseries: "Texas Revolution Military Rolls, 1835-1836" and "United States Volunteers Military Rolls, 1835-1837, 1842"

MUSTER ROLLS #1 1850, Texas General Land Office, Archives and Records Division, Austin, Texas

"This subseries consists of 7 rolls, representing the companies of 8 captains at the siege of Bexar of 1835, plus Colonel Fannin's division, plus the men at San Jacinto under General Houston, 1836. These lists were compiled sometime after the fact.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of ommisions in this listing as the original rolls were destroyed in the Oct 10, 1855 fire which swept through the Adjutant General's office. The General Land Office did, however, have copies of most of the original rolls; a positive photostat of the General Land Office Muster Rolls [A3] is available in the Texas State Archives, and each soldier on the G.L.O. Rolls [A3] has been included in the Biographical Index in the search room." [A1]

Hitchcock, S. Henry,

Harry, John H.,

Dimitt, Philip,

Fannin, J.W., Jr. (Col),

Ward, Wm. (Lt Col),

Travis, Wm. B. (Lt Col),

Grant, James (Dr),

Johnson, F.W. (Col)

Westover, Ira,

Winn, James C.,

Bullock, U.J.,

Ticknor, Isaac ,

King, Amon B.,

Duval, B.H.,V

Wyatt, P.S.,V

Burk, David N.,V

Pettus, Samuel O.,V

Shackleford, Jack,V

Horton, A.C.,V

Breece, Thomas H. ,

Lewellyn, Thos.,

THE ALAMO

Lt. Col. W. Barrett Travis, Bowie, James(Lt. Col. Commandant)

Bowie, James (Col)

Companies

Foysyth, (Capt.),

Harrison, (Capt.),

Blazeley (Blazely), Wm. (Capt.),

Baker, Wm. C.M. (Capt.),

Evans, (Capt.),

Cary, (Capt.),

Blair, S.C. (Capt.),

Gilmore, Bruce P (Capt.),

White, Robert (Capt.),

Kimbell, George C. (Lt),

GOLIAD

- Col. James W. Fannin, Jr. Command, Wadsworth, W.A,

Bullock, U.J. ,

Winn, James C. ,

Ticknor, ,

Westover, Ira ,

King, Amon B. ,

Duval, B.H. ,

Wyatt, P.S. ,

Burk, David N. ,

Pettus, Samuel O. ,

Shackleford, Jack ,

Horton, A.C. ,

Fannin, J.W., Jr. (Col) ,

Ward, Wm. (Lt. Col.),

Wallace, Benjn. C. (Maj.),

Hill, Ben F. (Adjt Genl),

Fannin, J. W. (Col.)

GARRISON OF BEXAR

Neil, J.C. (Lt. Col.)

Field and Staff, Garrison of Bexar. Carey, W.R. ,

Blazeley, Wm ,

Fassitt (Feassitt), G.A. (Capt.),

Ward, T.W. (Capt. Artillery),

Peacock, (Capt. Artillery),

Floddens (Floeder), (Capt. Artillery),

SIEGE AND CAPTURE OF SAN ANTONIO DE BEXAR, DEC 10, 1835

Parrott, T.L.F.(F.L.T.), Chesshire, James,

Swisher, James G.,

York (Yorke),

York, John ,

Morris, Robert C.,

Cooke, Wm. G,

Hiroms (Hirams), S.C. ,

Bradley, John M.,

Lewis, M.B.

BATTLE OF SAN JACINTO - April 20 & 21, 1836

from copy of list of Burleson's Command made Apr 22, 1836 by Wm. Gorham, Clerk

Houston, Sam (Maj. Gen.),

Neill, J.C. (Lt. Col.)/Moreland, J.N.,

Lamar, Mirabeau B./ (Commander),

Karnes, Henry,

Millard, Henry (Lt. Col.),

Allen, John M. (Actg. Major),

Briscoe, Andrew,

Turner, Amasa ,

Burleson (Burlison) Edward (Col.),

Sommerville, Alxr. (Lt. Col.),

Edward (Col.),

Burlison, Edward (Col.),

Somerville, Alexander (Lt. Col.),

McNutt, Robert (Maj.),

Wood, William (Capt.),

Tinsley, J.W. (1 Lt.),

Roman, Richard (Capt.),

Casey, George M. (1 Lt.),

Billingsley, Jesse (Capt.) ,

Andrews, Micah (1 Lt.) ,

Baker, Mosely (Capt.),

Kuykendall, Gibson (Capt.),

Francis, Miller (1 Lt.) ,

Rabb, Thos. J. (Capt.),

Head, Wm. J.C. (1 Lt.) ,

Bennett (Burnett), Jas. L. (Capt.) ,

Gillespie, James (1 Lt.) ,

Hill, W.W. (Capt.) ,

Swisher, H.H. (Ap. 1st Lt.) ,

Fisher, Wm. S. (Capt.),

Steele, Wm. H. (1 Lt.) ,

Calder, Robert J. (Capt.),

Sharp, John (1 Lt.),

Dawson, Nicholas M. (2 Lt.),

Craft, James A. (Lt.),

Finch, Mat (2 Lt.),

Eastland, Wm. M. (2 Lt.),

Hope, Adolphus (2 Lt.),

Carter, R.W.P. (2 Lt.) ,

Garrison (Larrison), Allen (2 Lt.),

Wood, Wm.,

Hart, John/ Roman, Richard (1 Lt.) ,

Roman, R.,

Billingsley, Jesse ,

Baker, Mosely ,

Kuykendall, Gibson ,

Heard, Wm. J.E.,

Heard, William E. ,

Hill, Wm. L. ,

Swisher, H.H. (Lt),

Fisher, William S. ,

Smith, Calder, R.J. ,

Sherman, Sidney (Col.),

Bennett, Jas. L. (Lt. Col.),

Wells, Lysander (Maj.),

Arnold, Haydon ,

Arnold, Haydon ,

Ware, William ,

Ware, Wm. ,

Logan, William M. ,

Patton, William H. ,

McIntire, Thomas H. ,

Galaspy, _____ (Capt) ,

Bryant, B. ,

Kimbro, Wm. ,

Seguin, Juan N.,

McNutt, Robert (Maj.) ,

Splane, P.R. ,

Chance, J.B.,

Wyley (Wiley), A.H. ,

Duncan, Peter ,

Ratcliff, W.D. ,

Bellingsley, Jesse (Capt.) Co. C,

Baker, Mosely (Capt.) Co. D,

Smith, (Capt.) Co. J,

Mabbitt, Leonard H. ,

Lockhart, Byrd ,

Bradley, John M. ,

Secrests, W.H. ,

Smith, Wm H./,

Robbins, Thomas/,

Hooper, Richard,

Harper, B.J.,

Hardin, Lynch, J.P.,

Collins, E.W. ,

Cleveland, H.N. ,

Stewart, Thomas ,

Ravill, B.F.,

Hamilton, Wm. ,

Brown, Nicholas (Sgt.),

Ingram, John ,

Smith, L. (Maj.),

Bird, John ,

Ross, Reuben,

Chenoweth, John ,

Quitman, John A./ ,

Strickland, Wm,

Robinson, J.J. (2 Lt.) ,

Earl, H.C.D. ,

Allen, James,

Graham, Wm. ,

Elliott, W.J. [William John],

Sweitzer, Alonzo B. ,

Soverein, Jos ,

Shaw, Orson ,

Wigginton, H.R.A. [Henry],

Sweeney, John *

Barnes, John H (1 Lt.)

Sweeny, John,

Fairchild, Hiram ,

Pratt, Thomas ,

Stiles, George ,

Hays, William Rufus C. ,

Holmes, James L. ,

Hubbell, H. A. ,

Hughes, J.Z. [James] ,

Fowler, C.A.W./,

Scroggs, John (1 Lt. Comm.),

Van Norman, Wm.,

Becknell, William ,

Skerrett, Mark B. ,

Harbert, D.D. (1 Lt.) ,

Burnet (Burnett), Wm D. ,

Cook (Cooke), L.P.

Hart, John ,

Love, Palas Shivers, Offa L.(S.),

Thornton, F.W./ Conrad, Edward ,

Thompson, W. ,

Thomson, Wm. ,

Marshall, Abraham ,

Chenoweth, John Read, Benjn. S. ,

Rockhold, D.B. ,

Burnett, Wm. D. ,

Harreld, Wm. E. ,

Price, James Pope ,

Shaw, Orson/ ,

Brooks, Edward (1 Lt. Comm.),

Hays, William Rufus C. (2 Lt. Comm.),

Rockhold, D.B.

Frailey, G. Clinton

Hart, William C.

Pratt, Thomas ,

Reed (Read),

Benjn. S.,

Robertson, Jerome R. ,

McLure (McClure),

Robertson, Sterling C.,

Boales, Calvin ,

Barnes, Frederick W ,

Owen, Clark L. ,

Allen, Thos. W.G. ,

Chesher (Chessher),

James Arnold, Hayden,

Coe (Coel), Philip ,

Barrett, G.W.,

Howth, W.E. ,

Teal, Henry/,

Snively, J. (1 Lt. Comm.),

Elliott, J.D. ,

Lynch, N.,

Wheelock, E.L.R. (Whittock),

Walden (Waldon), Alfred P. ,

Wheelock, E.L.R. ,

Smith, S. (Lt.) ,

Lynch, N. (Brevt. Capt.) ,

Teal, Henry/ Snively, J. (1 Lt. Comm.),

Durocher, Chas. L./ ,

Lalanette (Salanette),,

F.L. (1 Lt. Comm.) ,

McFarland, Dougald (2 Lt. Comm.) ,

Jewell (Jewel), Geo. W. ,

Barron, Thos. H. ,

Snively, Jacob/ Nelson, David S. (2 Lt. Comm.),

McFarland, Dougald Company B (2 Lt. Comm.),

Durocher, Charles L./,

Lalanette (Salanette),

L.F. (F.L.), (1 Lt. Comm.) ,

Lynch, Nicholas/

Smith, John (Comm.)

Seguin, John N. (Lt. Col. Comm.),

Thomas, B.R.,

Walden, Alfred P. ,

McFarland, Dugald (2 Lt. Comm.) ,

Chamberlain, H.P. (Lt. Comm.),

Walden, Alfred P./,

Robbless, Alexander (1 Lt. Comm.),

Barron (Barren), T.H.,

Costley, Michael,

Miller, John , (2 Lt. Comm.),

Flores, Manuel (1 Lt. Comm.) ,

Flores, Salvador ,

Snell, John, H (Sgt)

Snively, Jacob/ Nelson, David S. (2 Lt. Comm.),

McCaskey, R.D. (Lt.)/,

Howard, Geo. T.(F.) (2 Lt. Comm.),

Irvine, R.B.(J.B.) Moncur, James (Lt. Comm.),

Sprowl, James C. (J.F. J.T.)(Lt. Comm.),

Smith, John Levey, M. (Lt. Comm.),

Burnett, William D./

McClyman, J.B. (1 Lt. Comm.),

Burton [isaac Watts]

McClure, John

Pyron, David T.

Allen, James C.

Peebles, Lettlewood W. ,

Burroughs, George H.,

Colerick, Charles ,

Reed, Henry ,

Thomas, B.R. (2 Lt. Comm.) ,

Pierson, J.G.W [John Goodloe Warren] ,

Parker, Gustavus A. ,

Chesshire, James ,

Seale (Seal), Eli ,

Clapp, Elisha ,

English, George ,

Burnett (Bennett)William D. ,

McClyman (McClym), John B. (1 Lt. Comm.) ,

Green, T.J. (Brig Gen) ,

Field Officers

Green, T.J. (Brig. Gen.),

Ward, (Lt. Col.),

Dyer, Lion (Leon) (Aid de Camp),

Milroy, Magon (Major?)

Captain's Commanding Co.

Graham (Capt.),

Fairchilds (Fairchild) (Capt.),

Wigginton (Winginton) (Capt.),

Switzer (Capt.),

Hughes (Capt.) ,

Thompson (Capt.),

Reed (Redd) (Capt.),

Marshall (Capt.),

Parker (Capt.),

Chenoworth (Chenoweth) (Capt.),

Hayes (Capt.),

Lieutenants

Elliott (Lt.)

Norton (Lt.)

Hall (Lt.),

Dickson (Lt.),

Gamble (Lt.) ,

Smith (Lt.),

Sweeney (Lt.) ,

Foulkes (Lt.),

Fowler (Lt.) ,

Olliven (Olliver) (Lt.),

Humbustine (Hennbustine) (Lt.) ,

Eves (Eaves) (Lt.),

Hanks (Lt.) ,

Pratt (Lt.),

Wells (Lt.) ,

True (Lt.),

Paskall (Lt.),

Staff

Eguny (Capt., Qr. Master),

Greenville (Lt., Asst. QM),

McLasky (McLarky) (Lt., Asst. Comisy. Sub.),

McLellan (Capt., Comisy. Sub.),

McFetters (Ensign),

McLune, J. (Sgt. Major),

Scott (Lt., Ordinance),

Kelly (Sgt., Qr. Mr.),

Speakman (Sgt., Commy.),

Kitchen (Ketchem) (Waggon Master),

(Signed) James McGuin, Adjt.,

Morehouse, Edwin (Col.)

Commissioned and Non Commissioned Staff

1st Regt., 1st Brigade Volunteers

Texas Army, Aug 31, 1836

Morehouse, Edwin (Col.), 1st Appointment Nov 21, 1835, Maj. to Lt. Col. Jun 22, 1836, Lt. Col. to Col. Aug 5, 1836,

Cleaveland, A.(H.) N.,< Capt. to Lt. Col. Aug 9, 1836, (Lt. Col.),

Gillan, Benj. T. (Maj.) Capt. to Maj. Aug 17, 1836,

Millard, Henry Field and Staff, (Lt. Col.)

1st Regt. Infantry, Texas Army Aug 31, 1836

Millard, Henry (Lt. Col.) Commission Dec 15, 1835,

Smith, John (Lt. & Adjt) Commission Jun 21, 1836,

Winston, John (Jas.) S. Commission Jul 27, 1836, (Asst. Surgeon),

Neil (Neill), James C. (Col.) ,

Morehouse, Edwin (Col.) Staff,

1st Regt. Rusk's Brigade Volunteer Texas Army Sep 30, 1836,

Morehouse, Edwin (Col.) Enlistment Aug 5, 1836,

Cleveland, H.N. (Lt. Col.) Enlistment Aug 9, 1836,

Gillen, Benjamin Y. (Maj.) Enlistment Aug 17, 1836,

Dep: H.Q. Camp Johnson La Baca River, Harrison, C.L. (Col.) Field and Staff, 1st Regt.,

1st Brigade, Kentucky Volunteers Aug 31, 1836 ,

Harrison, Charles L. (Col.) Commission Apr 20, 1836,

Holmes, James L. (Maj.) Commission Aug 27, 1836,

Morehouse, E. (Col.),

Cleveland, H.W. (Lt. Col.),

Gillen, Benjamin Y. (Maj.),

Turner, Amasa ,

Field and Staff (Lt. Col), 1st Regt. Infantry, Texas Army, Commissions from May 1, 1836 Aug 31, 1836 - Oct 31, 1836,

Turner, Amasa (Lt. Col.) Commission Aug 27, 1836, Regt. Command Sep 21, 1836,

Teal, Henry (Maj.) Commission Aug 27, 1836,

Transferred

Smith, John (Capt.) Commission Aug 29, 1836, (Capt. 2nd Infty.)

Millard, Henry (Lt. Col.),

Turner, Amasa/ (Lt. Col.),

Irvine, R.B. Teal, Henry (Maj.),

Woodhouse, M.P.(H.R.) (Lt. & Adjt.),

Hill, Wm. W. ,

Lewis, M.B./ Ingram ,

Sample, David ,

END OF LIST

Thank you!

NFISD was in trouble for that long? Gee, it seems like WHISD's Houston cousin...

It took me a moment to find it, but I went to the Chronicle's archives, typed in Aldine, Judy Williams, North Forest. I remember Judy Williams as being Aldine's person quoted in the story.

It came back as a story from 12/19/88 under the headline "Troubled N. Forest ISD may face uncertain future". Here are the relevant paragraphs:

But if North Forest did lose its accreditation and funding, a neighboring school district could absorb it. There are two ways another school district can adopt children from a defunct district, said Kirby.

Consolidation between the defunct district and another school district is one way to ensure children are educated, but that takes a majority vote by both school districts' residents, said Kirby. Politics and the financial burden of absorbing another district would affect whether a consolidation took place.

One of the reasons an adopting school district would be a white knight is because it wouldn't be taking over the educating of North Forest children for any great financial reward, said John Privett with the Tax Research Association, a local watchdog organization. North Forest is a property-poor district.

"I don't think it (North Forest) would be attractive, but I think a district would maybe (absorb it) in an effort to do the right thing and deliver a good education," Privett said.

The other, longer way for the children to be transferred to another district would be for North Forest to abolish itself and send out word - through the Commissioners Court - that its children needed an educational benefactor, said Kirby.

Even though the school district would no longer exist, the surrounding districts are under no obligation to educate the children, said Kirby.

If none of the districts wants to absorb North Forest, he said, the individual parents would have to shop for a school willing to educate their children - at least for a year.

After a school district has been abolished for 12 months, Kirby said he can declare the district a "dormant district" and request the county Commissioners Court to assign the children of a defunct district to any one or several nearby districts regardless of the wishes of the adopting district.

Here is a more complete list of the men involved in the Battle of San Jacinto, both Republic of Texas regulars and Volunteers to the Republic. Each of these men would have received a Land Grant for their participation in the Battle. If you scan the list you will see names that coinside with large land holders at the turn of the century in Harris and surrounding counties. And names that ended up being counties in Texas. Names like Kuykendall, Barker, Fitzgerald, Lynch, Montgomery (as in Andrew founder of Montgomery, TX), Rusk, Wharton, etc.

Battle of San Jacinto Veterans & Casualties - April 21, 1836

Abbot, Launcelot

Abbott, Calvin P

Adams, Thomas H

Alexander, Jerome B

Alexin, H Malena

Allen, John M

Allison, John C

Allison, Moses

Alsbury, Horatio Alexander

Alsbury, Young Perry

Anderson, C D - Wounded in Battle

Anderson, John W

Anderson, Thomas P

Anderson, Washington - Wounded in Battle

Andrews, Micah

Angel, John M

Armstrong, Irwin

Arnold, Hayden

Arnot, W S

Arocha, Jose Maria

Arocha, Manuel

Arreola, Simon

Atkinson, J

Atkison, M B

Avery, Willis

Bailey, Alexander

Bailey, Howard

Bain, Noel M

Baker, D D D

Baker, Elias

Baker, Joseph

Baker, Moseley - Wounded in Battle

Baker, W W

Balch, Hezekiah B

Balch, John

Ballard, John T

Bancroft, Jethro R

Banks, Reason

Barcinas, Andres

Bard, George

Bardwell, Solomon B

Barker, George

Barker, W

Barkley, J A

Barnes, Frederick W

Barnes, John H

Barnes, Turner

Barstow, Joshua

Barton, Elder B

Barton, Jefferson

Barton, Wayne

Bateman, William

Baxter, Montgomery

Baylor, Dr

Beams, Obidiah

Bear, Isaac H

Beard, A J

Beason, Leander

Beauchamp, John

Beauford, Thomas Y

Beebe, John N

Begley, John

Belcher, John

Belden, John

Bell, James

Bell, Peter H

Bell, Thomas H

Belnap, Thomas

Bennett, Joseph

Bennett, Joseph L

Bennett, William

Bennett, W B

Benson, Ellis

Benton, Alfred

Benton, Daniel

Bernardi, Prospero

Bernbeck, W C F

Berry, Andrew Jackson

Berryhill, W H

Biddle, John

Billingsley, Jesse - Wounded in Battle

Bingham, Benjamin Rice - Killed in Battle

Bingham, Marthias A

Bird, James

Birt, Samuel P

Bissett, Robert B

Black, D C

Blackwell, Thomas

Blakey, Lemuel Stockton - Killed in Battle

Blaney, John

Bledsoe, G L

Blue, Uriah

Bollinger, E

Bollinger, P

Bond, Henry

Book, James R

Booker, Shields

Borden, John P

Borden, Paschal P

Bostick, Joseph

Bostick, Sion R

Bottsford, Seym

Bowen, Robert

Box, James E

Box, John A

Box, Nelson

Box, Thomas G

Boyd, J C

Boyles, William

Bradley, Daniel

Bradley, J B

Bradley, James

Bradley, Micajah

Brake, Michael J

Branch, Edward Thomas

Breeding, Fidelia

Breedlove, A W

Brennan, William

Brewer, Henry M

Brewster, Henry Percy

Brigham, Genj R

Brigham, Moses

Briscoe, Andrew

Brookfield, F E

Brooks, Thomas D

Brown, Alexander

Brown, David

Brown, George

Brown, Oliver T

Brown, Wilson C

Browning, George W

Bruff, Christopher C

Bryan, Moses Austin

Bryant, Benjamin Franklin

Buffinton, Anderson

Bullock, David M

Bunton, John Wheeler

Burch, James

Burch, Valentine

Burditt, Jesse F

Burditt, Newell W

Burleson, Aaron

Burleson, Edward

Burnam, William Owen

Burnham, John Hickerson

Burton, Isaac Watts

Burtrony, T

Bust, Luke W

Butts, Augustus J

Caddell, Andrew

Cage, B F

Calder, Robert J

Caldwell, Pinkney

Callahan, Thomas J

Campbell, D W

Campbell, H D

Campbell, John

Campbell, Joseph

Campbell, Michael

Campbell, Rufus E

Cannon, William J

Carpenter, John

Carpenter, John W

Carper, William M

Carr, Robert

Carter, James

Carter, Robert W B

Cartwright, Matthew W

Cartwright, William

Caruthers, Allen

Cassady, John W

Castleman, Jacob

Chadduck, Richard H

Chaffin, J A

Chamberlain, Willard

Chance, Joseph B

Chapman, Henry

Cheairs, John F

Chelaup, James K

Chevers, John

Childs, J J

Choate, David

Christie, John

Clapp, Elisha

Clark, James

Clark, John

Clarke, Charles A

Clarkson, Charles

Clayton, Joseph Alvey

Clelland, John Joshua

Clements, Lewis C

Cleveland, Horatio N

Clopper, Andrew M

Coble, Adam

Cochran, Jeremiah D

Cockrill, John

Coffman, Elkins G

Coker, John

Cole, David

Cole, James

Coleman, Robert W

Coles, B L

Coliant, John B

Collard, Job S

Collins, Willis

Collinsworth, James T

Colton, William

Common, Thomas

Conlee, Preston

Conn, Joseph S

Connell, David

Connell, Sampson

Conner, James

Cook, A W

Cooke, Francis J

Cooke, Thomas

Cooke, William G

Cooper, James - Wounded in Battle

Cooper, Mathias - Killed in Battle

Cormana, Cesario

Corry, Thomas F

Corzine, Hershel

Cottle, Sylvanus

Cox, Lewis

Cox, Thomas B

Craddock, John R

Craft, James A

Craft, Russel B

Craig, Harry/Henry R

Crain, Joel B

Crain, Robert T

Cravens, Robert M

Crawford, J B

Crawford, Robert

Criswell, William

Crittenden, Robert

Cronican, Michael

Crosby, Garry

Crownover, A

Crunk, Nicholas S

Cruz y Arocha, Antonio

Cumba, James - Wounded in Battle

Cumberland, George

Cunningham, Leander C

Curbier, Antonio

Curbier, Matias

Curneal, Patrick J

Curtis, Hinson

Curtis, James

Dale, Elijah V

Dallas, Walter R

Dalrymple, John

Darling, John Socrates

Darr, George

Darst, Edmund C

Darst, Richard Brownfield

Davey, Thomas P

David, Abner C

David, George W

David, James P

David, Samuel S

David, Travis

Davidson, William Francis H

Davis, Jesse K

Davis, John

Davis, Moses M

Davis, William R

Dawson, Nicholas Mosby

Day, Henry S

de Zavala, Lorenzo Jr

Deadrick, David

Deadrick, Fielding

Deadrick, George M

Denham, M H

Denmon, Holden

Dennis, Thomas Mason

DeVore/DeVois, Cornelius

DeWitt, James C

Dexter, Peter B

Dibble, Henry

Dickerman, E

Dillard, Abraham

Dixon, J H T

Doan, Joseph

Doolittle, Berry

Douby, Daniel

Douglass, Freeman W

Douglass, Jonathan

Douthatt, James

Dubromer, Tobias Dr

Dufee, William

Duff, James C

Duff, J P

Dunbar, William

Duncan, Jacob

Duncan, John

Dunham, Daniel T

Dunham, William D

Dunn, J G

Dunn, Matthew

Dutcher, Alfred

Dyches, Lovick P

Earl, William

Eastland, William Mosby

Edenburg, Christopher

Edgar, Joseph S - Wounded in Battle

Edson, Amos B

Edwards, Isaiah

Edwards, Tilford C

Egbert, J D

Ehlinger, Joseph

Eiler, Jacob

Eldridge, James J

Ellender, Joseph

Elliot, J D

Elliott, James F

Ellis, Willis L

Emory, Edwin B

Enriques, Lucio

Erath, George Bernard

Evans, Moses

Evans, Musgrove

Everett, William

Evetts, James

Ewing, Alexander Wray

Faris, Hezekiah

Farley, Thomas M

Farmer, James

Farrish, Oscar

Farwell, Joseph

Fennell, George

Ferrell, William

Ferrill, John

Fields, Henry

Finch, Matthew

Finley, Benjamin C

Fisher, William

Fisher, William S

Fisk, Greenleaf

Fitch, Benjamin F

Fitzgerald, Longford

Fitzhugh, John T P

Flick, John

Flores, Manuel

Flores, Manuel Maria

Flores, Martin

Flores, Nepomuceno

Flynn, Thomas J

Foard, Charles A

Fogle, Andrew

Foley, Steven T

Forbes, John

Ford, Simon P

Forrester, Charles

Foster, Anthony

Foster, John R

Fowle, Thomas Patton - Killed in Battle

Fowler, Andrew Jackson

Fowler, Thomas M

Fraley, Morrison

Francis, William

Franklin, Benjamin Cromwell

Frazier, Hugh

Friel/Freele, James

Fry, Benjamin F

Fullerton, William

Fullerton, Henry

Fulton, James

Gafford, John

Gage, Calvin - Wounded in Battle

Gainer, John N

Gallaher, E

Gallatin, Albert Edward - Wounded in Battle

Gamble, William

Gant, William W

Gardner, G W

Garwood, S Joseph

Gay, Thomas

Gedry, Lefoy

Gentry, Fred B

Giddings, Giles A - Wounded in Battle

Gilbert, John F

Gill, John Porter

Gill, William C

Gillespie, James

Gillespie, John

Gillette, Samuel

Goheen, Michael R

Goodloe, Robert Kemp

Goodwin, Lewis

Goome, Garrett E

Goosley, W G

Gordon, J

Gorham, Isaac

Graham, John

Granville, B

Graves, David

Graves, Thomas A

Gray, James

Gray, M B

Green, Benjamin

Green, George

Green, James

Green, Thomas

Greenwood, James

Greer, Thomas N B

Grenlaw, A

Grice, J B

Grieves, David

Griffin, William

Griffith, John

Grigsby, Crawford

Grimes, George W

Groce, Jacob

Grover, J A F

Gustine, Lemuel Dr

Hager, Nat

Hale, John C - Killed in Battle

Hale, William

Hall, James

Hall, John W

Hallett, John

Hallmark, W E

Halstead, E B

Hamilton, Elias E

Hancock, George

Handy, Robert Eden

Hardaway, Samuel G

Hardeman, Thomas J

Hardin, Benjamin Franklin

Hardin, Ennis

Harman, John

Harmon, Clark M

Harper, B J

Harper, John

Harper, Peter

Harris, Andrew J

Harris, Isaac

Harris, James

Harris, Temple O

Harris, William

Harrison, A L

Harvey, David

Harvey, John

Haskin, T A

Hassell, John W

Hatfield, B M

Hawkins, William

Hawkins, W W

Haye, James

Hays, W C

Head, W M

Heard, William Jones Elliot

Henderson, Robert

Henderson, F K

Henderson, Hugh

Henderstrom, Augustus

Henry, Charles M

Henry, Robert

Herrera, Pedro

Herron, John H

Heuser, John A

Hick, Charles

Highsmith, Abijah

Hill, Abraham W

Hill, Hardy

Hill, Isaac L

Hill, James M

Hill, William W

Hinds, James

Hitchcock, Franklin

Hockley, George Washington

Hodge, Archie

Hodge, James

Hodge, W

Hogan, James

Hogan, Josiah

Holder, Prior A

Holderman, Jesse

Holman, William Sanford

Holmes, Peter W

Homan, Harvey

Hope, Adolphus

Hope, Prosper

Hope, Richard

Hopkins, Thomas

Hopson, John

Hopson, Lucine

Horton, Alexander

Hotchkiss, Richard

Houston, Samuel - Wounded in Battle

Howard, Levi

Howard, W C

Howell, Robert

Howlett, A W

Hughes, Thomas M

Hunget, Meredith

Hunt, John C

Hunter, Robert H

Hyland, Joseph

Ijams, Bazil G

Ingram, Allen - Wounded in Battle

Ingram, John

Irvine, James T P Rev

Irvine, Josephus S

Isbell, James H

Isbell, William

Jack, William H

Jackson, Joseph

Jackson, Thomas R

Jacques, Isaac L

James, Denward

James, W F - Wounded in Battle

Jennings, J D Dr

Jett, James M

Jett, Stephen

Johnson, Benjamin

Johnson, George

Johnson, George J

Johnson, James

Johnson, John

Johnson, John R

Johnson, M B

Johnston, Thomas D

Jones, Allen B

Jones, Anson

Jones, Edward S

Jones, D P

Jones, George Washington

Jordan, Alfred S

Joseph Floyd

Joslem, James

Karner, John

Karnes, Henry Wax

Kelso, Alfred

Kennard, William

Kennedy, W

Kent, Joseph

Kenyon, A D

Kerr, W P

Kibbe, William

Killeen, William

Kimbro, William

Kincannon, William P

Kleburg, Robert Justus

Kornegay, David S

Krattz, Lewis

Kuykendall, Gibson

Kuykendall, H

Kuykendall, J H

Kuykendall, Matthew

Kuykendall, Thornton P

Labadie, Nicolas D

Lamar, Mirabeau B

Lamar, Shelly W

Lamb, George A - Killed in Battle

Lambert, Walter

Lane, Walter P

Lane, William Paye

Lane, W P

Lang, George W

Lapham, Moses

Larbaltrier, Charles

Larrison, A

Lasater, Francis B

Lawrence, George Washington

Lawrence, Joseph

Lawrence, Samuel

Lee, Henry/Hiram

Lee, T S

Leek, George W

Leeper, Samuel

Legg, Seneca

Legrand, Edward Oswald

Lemsky, Frederick

Lessassur, A

Lester, James S

Leveney, Thomas

Lewellyn, John

Lewis, Abraham

Lewis, A S

Lewis, Edward

Lewis, George Washington - Wounded in Battle

Lewis, John E

Lightfoot, William D

Lightfoot, Wilson T

Limski, ?

Lind, John F

Lindsay, Benjamin

Litten/Litter, John

Liverall, A

Lloyd, Peterson

Lockridge, William

Loderback, J D

Logan, William M

Love, David Hall

Love, Robert

Lowery, John L

Luders, Henry

Lupton, Cyrus W

Lyford, John

Lynch, J P

Lynch, Nicholas

Magill, William Harrison

Maiden, Isaac

Maldonado, Tomas

Malone, C

Mancha, Jose Maria

Manhue, E

Manuel, A E

Marsh, Alonzo

Marshall, Hugh

Marshall, John L

Martin, Philip C

Marvey, John

Mason, Charles

Mason, George W

Massie, William

Matchett, John

Maury, James

Maxwell, Peter Menard

Maxwell, Thomas

Maybee, Jacob

Mays, Ambrose

Mays, Thomas H - Wounded in Battle

McAllister, Joseph

McClelland, Samuel

McCloskey, Robert D

McCorley, Placido

McCormack, J M

McCoy, John

McCoy, William

McCrabb, John M

McCrabb, Joseph

McCrocklin, Jesse L

McCulloch, Benjamin

McFadin, David H

McFall, Samuel

McFarlane, J W B

McGary, Daniel H

McGay, Thomas

McGee, Joseph

McGown, Andrew Jackson

McHorse, John W

McIntire, Thomas H

McIntire, William

McKay, D

McKay, Daniel

McKenzie, Alexander

McKinzie, Hugh

McLaughlin, Robert

McLaughlin, Stephen

McLean, Dugald

McLinn, Stephen

McManus, R O W

McMaster, William

McMillan, Andrew

McMillan, Edward

McMillan, James

McNeel, Pleasant D

McNelly, Bennett

McNelly, Samuel

McNutt, Major Robert

McStea, Andrew M

Menchaca, Antonio

Menifee, J S

Mercer, Eli

Mercer, Elijah G

Mercer, G R

Merwin, Joseph W

Miles, A H

Miles, Edward

Millard, Henry

Miller, Daniel

Miller, Francis

Miller, Hugh

Miller, Joseph

Miller, William

Miller, William H

Millerman, Ira

Millett, Samuel

Mills, David Granville

Mims, Benjamin F

Minnett, Joshua

Mitchell, Asa

Mitchell, J B

Mitchell, James

Mitchell, Nathaniel

Mixon, Noel

Mock, William N

Molino, Jose

Money, John H

Montgomery, Andrew

Montgomery, John

Montgomery, M

Moore, J D

Moore, Robert

Moore, Robert D

Moore, Samuel

Moore, William A

Mordorff, Henry

More, William P

Moreland, Isaac N

Morgan, John

Morris, Bethel

Morris, John

Morris, Spencer

Morton, John V

Mosier, Adam

Moss, John

Moss, Matthew

Mottley, William Junius Dr - Mortally Wounded

Murphy, David

Murray, William

Myers, E G

Nabors, William

Nash, John D

Navarro, Nepomuceno

Neal, John

Nealis, Francis

Neill, James C - Wounded in Battle

Neill, Samuel C

Nelson, David S

Nelson, James - Wounded in Battle

Newman, W G

Newton, ?

Noland, Wesley W

O'Bannon, Jennings

O'Bryan, Luke

O'Conner, Patrick B

O'Conner, Thomas

Odem, David

O'Driscoll, Daniel

O'Kelley, Connell

O'Neil, William

Orr, Thomas

Osborne, Benjamin

Owen, J D

Owen, James D

Ownby, James

Pace, Dempsey

Pace, James Robert

Pace, William

Page, Solomon C

Park, Joseph B

Park, William A - Wounded in Battle

Parker, Dickinson

Paschall, Samuel

Pate, William H

Patterson, James S

Patton, StClair

Patton, William

Patton, William H

Peck, Nathaniel

Peck, Nicolas

Peebles, R P Dr

Peebles, Samuel W

Pena, Jacinto

Pennington, J M

Pentecost, George W

Perch, Levy

Perry, James F

Peterson, John

Peterson, William

Pettus, Edward C

Pettus, John F

Petty, George W

Pevehouse, Preston

Pevetoe, Michael

Phillips, Elijah

Phillips, S

Phillips, Samuel

Pickering, J

Pier, J H

Pierce, Edward

Pierce, W J C

Pinchback, James R

Plaster, Thomas Phiney

Pleasants, John

Plunkett, John

Polk, Thomas

Powell, James

Pratt, Thomas P

Price, Berry

Price, Hardy W B

Price, Robert

Price, William

Proctor, J W

Pruett, Leroy

Pruett, Martin

Pruitt, Elisha

Putman, Michael - Wounded in Battle

Rainey, Clement

Rainwater, E R

Ramey, Lawrence

Ramirez, Edwardo

Raymond, S B

Reaves, Dimer W

Rector, Claiborn

Rector, Elbridge Gerry - Wounded in Battle

Rector, Pendleton

Redd, William D

Reed, Henry

Reed, Nathaniel

Reel, Robert J W

Reese, Charles K

Reese, W P

Rheinhart, Asa

Rhodes, ?

Rhodes, Joseph

Rial, John W

Richardson, D L

Richardson, John

Richardson, Lewis

Richardson, William

Ricks, George W

Ripley, Phineas

Robbins, Earl

Robbins, John

Robbins, Thomas

Roberts, David

Roberts, S R

Roberts, Sion

Robertson, William

Robinson, George Washington - Wounded in Battle

Robinson, J

Robinson, James W

Robinson/Robertson, Jesse

Robinson, Thomas J

Robison, Joel W

Rockwell, C B

Rodriquez, Ambrosio

Roman, A Richard

Rounds, Lyman F

Rowe, James

Ruddell, John

Rudder, Nathaniel

Rusk, David

Rusk, Thomas Jefferson

Russell, Robert B

Ryons, Thomas

Sadler, John

Sadler, William T

Sam, Garett

Sanders, John

Sanders, Uriah

Sayers, John

Scallorn, John W

Scarborough, Paul

Scates, William B

Scott, David

Scott, William P

Scraggs, J H

Scurry, Richardson

Secrest, Fielding

Secrest, Washington

Seguin, Juan Nepomuceno

Self, George

Sennat, Andrew

Sergeant, William

Seve, Ralph E

Sevey, Manasseh

Sharp, John

Shaw, James

Sherman, Sidney

Sheston, Henry

Shreve, John M

Shupe, Samuel

Sigmond, Abel

Simmon, William

Simpson, John

Slack, Joseph

Slayton, John

Smith, A M H

Smith, Benjamin Fort

Smith, Daniel

Smith, Erastus [Deaf]

Smith, I G

Smith, James E

Smith, John

Smith, John

Smith, John

Smith, John H

Smith, John T

Smith, Robert W

Smith, W W

Smith, William

Smith, William

Smith, William

Smith, William A

Smith, William M

Smith, William H - Wounded in Battle

Snell, Martin K

Snodgrass, J G

Snyder, M

Somervell, Alexander

Sovereign, Joseph

Sparks, Stephen F

Spicer, J A

Splane, Peyton R

Splane, Thomas M

Stancell, John F

Standifer, Jacob L

Starkley, Benjamin F

Stebbins, Charles C

Steele, Alphonso - Wounded in Battle

Steele, Maxwell

Steele, William H

Stephens, Ashley R - Mortally Wounded

Stephens, Charles

Stephenson, Robert

Stevenson, John

Stevenson, R

Stewart, Charles

Stewart, James

Stillwell, William S

Stouffer, Henry S

Strode, John W

Stroh, Phillip

Stump, John S

Sullivan, Dennis

Summers, William W

Sutherland, George

Swain, William W

Swearengen, V W

Swearingen, Elemeleck

Swearingen, W C

Sweeney, William Burrell

Swift, Hugh M

Swisher, Harvey H

Swisher, John M

Sylvester, James Austin

Tanner, Edward M

Tarin, Manuel

Tarleton, James

Taylor, Abraham R

Taylor, Campbell

Taylor, Edward W

Taylor, J

Taylor, J B

Taylor, John N

Taylor, William S

Thomas, Benjamin

Thomas, Taylor

Thompson, A P

Thompson, Charles P

Thompson, Cyrus W

Thompson, James B

Thompson, Jesse G

Thompson, Thomas

Threadgill, Joshua

Tierwester, Henry H

Tindale, Daniel

Tindall, William M

Tinsley, James W

Tom, John F - Wounded in Battle

Townsend, J

Townsend, J

Townsend, M

Townsend, Spencer

Trask, Olwyn J - Mortally Wounded

Trenary, John B

Trud, M

Tumlinson, John J

Tunage, Shelby C

Turner, Amasa

Tyler, Charles C

Tyler, Robert D T

Usher, Patrick

Utley, Thomas - Wounded in Battle

Van Winkle, John

Vandever, Logan - Wounded in Battle

Vaughn, Richard

Vermilion, Joseph

Vinator, James

Viven, John

von Roeder, Louis

Votaw, Elijah - Wounded in Battle

Wade, John M

Waldron, C W

Walker, James

Walker, John

Walker, Joseph

Walker, Martin - Wounded in Battle

Walker, William S - Wounded in Battle

Walling, Jesse

Walneet, Francis

Wardzinski, Felix

Ware, William

Warner, Thomas J

Waters, George - Wounded in Battle

Waters, William

Watkins, James E

Watson, Dexter

Webb, James

Webb, Thomas H

Weedon, George

Wells, James

Wells, Lysander

Welsh, James

Weppler, Phillip

Wertzner, Christian Gotthelf

Westgate, Ezra

Wharton, James

Wharton, John Austin

Wheeler, Samuel L

White, John Carey

White, Joseph E

White, L W

Whitehead, N

Whiteside, Elisha

Whittaker, Madison G

Wilcox, Oswin

Wilder, James IV

Wiley, Samuel

Wilkinson, Freeman

Wilkinson, James

Wilkinson, James C

Wilkinson, John

Wilkinson, Leroy - Wounded in Battle

Williams, Charles

Williams, Francis F

Williams, Hezekiah R

Williams, Jesse

Williams, Matthew R

Williams, W F

Williamson, Robert M

Willoughby, L

Wilmouth, Louis

Wilson, James

Wilson, Thomas R

Wilson, Walker B

Winburn, McHenry

Winett, Robert

Winn, Walker

Winters, A

Winters, James W

Winters, John F

Winters, William C - Wounded in Battle

Wood, Edward B

Wood, Robert

Wood, William

Woodlief, Devereaux J - Wounded in Battle

Woods, Joseph H

Woods, Riley

Woods, Samuel

Woodward, F M

Woolsey, Abner W

Word, W H

Wright, G

Wright, Gilbert

Wright, Rufus

Wyly, Alfred Henderson

Yancy, John

Yarborough, S

York, James Allison

Young, William Foster - Wounded in Battle

Zuber, William Physick

Zumwalt, Andrew

The Hill family from all I can dig up was and is very big up around Brenham. They were huge into "Land Speculation". This W. L. Hill was with the Houston and Texas Central Railroad, and I am betting that was how he managed to get his hands on it, since the majority of the Aldine area was originally alotted for railroad right of way. This is speculation on my part however. Times were tough in the 1920's and a lot of people were forced to sell their land rights to survive. William C. J. Hill, his father served in the Republic of Texas Army, and later was the Secretary of Railroad under President Houston. During this time they aquired huge land holdings across the state. (Imagine that). And if you look at the locations, Round Top, Sommerville, Brehnam, Millican, Rutersville, and LaGrange. All of these were very prominent RR stops during the RR's hey day. Strange enough, but true.