Sears At 4201 South Main St.

Subdude

The post-storm picture was taken looking north from Main St. at Wheeler. The 2006 photo is looking south toward Wheeler from Fannin. From the different heights of the building, the 1939 photo appears to be taken at the same angle as the post-storm photograph.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thnx sevfiv for the clarification of intersections, the height of the bldgs is what got me to wondering. They don't match up in all three pics. I agree with you.

I find it ironic, after reading this whole thread again, that Sears is owned by Kmart. The Sears located in Pasadena stood on land that is now a Walmart. Maybe Kmart sold it to them. :huh:

rsb320, My sentiments exactly...I loved that era. Never realized til now that there was a stairway outside leading to a second story balcony/patio. Nice...even had ornamental trees. Was this the smoking area? :D Or was the whole store a smoking area? I know the postcard was an architectural rendering, wonder if the store actually had that patio. :lol: I wonder a lot.

You could smoke in dept. stores until sometime in the early 80's or late 70's. It was probably an area for concessions like ice cream cones and snoballz - those would not have been allowed in finer anything wear.

Notice that the B&W and Colorized shots are taken from different angles/corners. The B&W appears to be the southwest side and the color, the northwest side. Therefore, the balcony would have been a wrap around. Cool.

You could smoke in dept. stores until sometime in the early 80's or late 70's. It was probably an area for concessions like ice cream cones and snoballz - those would not have been allowed in finer anything wear.

Notice that the B&W and Colorized shots are taken from different angles/corners. The B&W appears to be the southwest side and the color, the northwest side. Therefore, the balcony would have been a wrap around. Cool.

Cool...The Lisa Grey article mentioned above somewhere states that A.C. Finn, a well-known Houston architect who designed the Coliseum & Music Hall had influence in the Sears store design. Chicago architects Nimmons, Carr & Wright are credited along with Finn, but Finns style is so obvious in the style of the bldg. One early b/w Sears picture shown in the Art Deco link above shows a canopy extending over part of the balcony.

You're correct about the B&W photo taken of the SW corner, but I think the color shot is of the NE corner, since there was a parking area on the north side of the building between the main store and the auto repair center that was once there. That would be Fannin on the left of the store in the color picture. Locations are assuming that Main and Fannin run North-South.

You're correct about the B&W photo taken of the SW corner, but I think the color shot is of the NE corner, since there was a parking area on the north side of the building between the main store and the auto repair center that was once there. That would be Fannin on the left of the store in the color picture. Locations are assuming that Main and Fannin run North-South.

This one is from the north east corner. I'm pretty sure the colorized pic is from Main St. on the NW corner with the parking lot extending to the left toward Fannin. Notice the parking lot light poles.

rr8ky8.jpg

This one is from the north east corner. I'm pretty sure the colorized pic is from Main St. on the NW corner with the parking lot extending to the left toward Fannin. Notice the parking lot light poles.

That's the color shot I made reference to. I guess you were talking about the postcard picture of Sears. That is the NW corner. Sorry about the confusion.

Here is another quick reference to the Sears stores, found in the Houston Deco link: starts with the older store built in 1929, click on "a new Art Moderne store" words to see the new 1939 store, lists facades with Fannin & S. Main addresses: http://www.houstondeco.org/1920s/sears.html

I hadn't realized that the Chicago architects designed the first location (off Allen Parkway), as well as the *second one (* Houston architect A.C. Finn also designed). The second store location took into account the increasing popularity of the automobile, had ample parking.

Is it still boarded up like that? I don't believe such a bleak and dilapidated store will be able to stay open for long. Maybe Wal-Mart or Target should purchase it since they're both more likely to restore buildings to their art deco facades.

Is it still boarded up like that? I don't believe such a bleak and dilapidated store will be able to stay open for long. Maybe Wal-Mart or Target should purchase it since they're both more likely to restore buildings to their art deco facades.

not sure i've ever seen walmart and artdeco in the same sentence.

Don't say that :( ...how about Rice University buy the bldg. since they own the land. The 1950's Sears store location in Pasadena has a new generic Walmart sitting on it. The South Main Sears store was much grander than the Pasadena 1950's store was. It's a diamond in the rough. It will just kill me if it falls.

Question: When was the Harrisburg at Wayside (East Side) Sears built? Was it at the same time as the Garden Oaks (North Side)?

Urgh, they've installed shiny metal siding over the windows and doors. Are they just messing with us?

This was completely shocking when in the Centro Historico district of Mexico City.

Lord and behold there was a Sears Dept store that was completely original Art Deco! I did not have time to go inside but they did update the displays but to my utter amazement exterior and interior light fixtures and sconces all seemed original! I SHOULD have taken a pic but maybe someting is on google?

Woah! I am pretty sure this was it! It was a trip back in time (as was most of this area) The store was jam packed with crowds, just the way our own downtown used to be in the day. Yes, this is it we were just 2-3 blocks from this maddening crowd. Was like the Latin version of NYC. :)

68545942.Gz1NGAgm.jpg

157233849_8dd6373640.jpg?v=0

I'm surprised you've never heard of the store in Baldwin Hills. I think it was an old Macy's from the 1940s.

275896018_d71db84758.jpg?v=0

That building must be located in a Historic District, or have some sort of historical protection that prevents its demolition. Wal-Mart must have wanted the location bad enough to occupy the space. Typically, large commercial businesses will demolish existing buildings, so they can construct facilities that more closely reflect their branding.

The old Main St. Sears is not protected by any law that prevents its demolition. If Wal-Mart or another corporate chain bought the building, it would probably be toast.

How shockingly modest. There's also an old Art Deco Sears in California near Santa Monica Place (http://www.labelscar.com/california/santa-monica-place).

Even if the Art Deco is restored, it's still going to be the same old Sears inside...Craftsman tools, a large apparel section, jewelry, etc.

What did Sears have in the "olde days" that it does not have now?

How shockingly modest. There's also an old Art Deco Sears in California near Santa Monica Place (http://www.labelscar.com/california/santa-monica-place).

Even if the Art Deco is restored, it's still going to be the same old Sears inside...Craftsman tools, a large apparel section, jewelry, etc.

IMO - If that building is restored it will most likely not be by Sears Roebuck & Co. They are not doing so well financially. I would like to see it turned into something functional, hotel, university apartments, etc.

From my own experience, I would say they don't have very good customer service, not like it used to be. When I tried to reach a service dept. representative, I could never get a person on the phone line. Ever. I was not impressed. I stopped going there years ago.

IMO - If that building is restored it will most likely not be by Sears Roebuck & Co. They are not doing so well financially. I would like to see it turned into something functional, hotel, university apartments, etc.

From my own experience, I would say they don't have very good customer service, not like it used to be. When I tried to reach a service dept. representative, I could never get a person on the phone line. Ever. I was not impressed. I stopped going there years ago.

The South Main store?

I posted the picture of the Wal-Mart because, while I don't like the company, I think what they did there was pretty friggin awesome. They even adapted their logo to the style. It makes wonder if the rest of the store is like that. From what I've heard, Wal-Mart wanted to build a store in Los Angeles for some time, but the neighborhood associations kept driving them away. The old store was a compromise.

Sears has been replaced by Target and Wal-Mart so it makes sense that one of them would use the store. Target also has a history of remodeling old stores instead of abandoning them.

The South Main store?

I posted the picture of the Wal-Mart because, while I don't like the company, I think what they did there was pretty friggin awesome. They even adapted their logo to the style. It makes wonder if the rest of the store is like that. From what I've heard, Wal-Mart wanted to build a store in Los Angeles for some time, but the neighborhood associations kept driving them away. The old store was a compromise.

Sears has been replaced by Target and Wal-Mart so it makes sense that one of them would use the store. Target also has a history of remodeling old stores instead of abandoning them.

Oh, Yes, the South Main store.

Your story is interesting, I had never heard of Target or Wal-mart using older bldgs. for their stores. Don't know of any in this city, in fact Target & Wal-mart frequently choose to build new facilities on different lots, probably because they need more space for Super-Sized stores.

I think it would be cooler, though, if it was restored, to be a new concept by Sears, actually reintroducing the old dept. store feel. It's not gonna happen, though. :(

Oh, Yes, the South Main store.

Your story is interesting, I had never heard of Target or Wal-mart using older bldgs. for their stores. Don't know of any in this city, in fact Target & Wal-mart frequently choose to build new facilities on different lots, probably because they need more space for Super-Sized stores.

The Target in the Crossroads Center in San Antonio (actually Balcones Heights) is a former Wards store. That mall, of course, is also the former Wonderland Mall. Likewise, there is a Target in San Diego's Mission Valley Center mall in a former Wards. Neither of these were cool old art-deco buildings, of course, more like aging 1960s facilities, and they (and their malls) do not retain the 60s look.

The Target in the Crossroads Center in San Antonio (actually Balcones Heights) is a former Wards store. That mall, of course, is also the former Wonderland Mall. Likewise, there is a Target in San Diego's Mission Valley Center mall in a former Wards. Neither of these were cool old art-deco buildings, of course, more like aging 1960s facilities, and they (and their malls) do not retain the 60s look.

Wrong. The Wards at Crossroads of San Antonio was partially demolished to make way for a brand-new SuperTarget, and the old Wards is actually a conference center now.

I find it ironic, after reading this whole thread again, that Sears is owned by Kmart.

Then you'll enjoy this tidbit:

In Canada, Sears is not controlled by the American Sears, though Sears in America is attempting a takeover.

Whereas in America Sears is a notch above Wal-Mart, in Canada Sears is considered on par with Saks Fifth Avenue and carries many of the same brands exclusively.

Then you'll enjoy this tidbit:

In Canada, Sears is not controlled by the American Sears, though Sears in America is attempting a takeover.

Whereas in America Sears is a notch above Wal-Mart, in Canada Sears is considered on par with Saks Fifth Avenue and carries many of the same brands exclusively.

Got that feeling after spending a bit of time in Canada. Hudson's "The Bay" is one other dept. store I am familiar with.

Also noticed the Sears stores were different after looking at the Sears Christmas Wish Books on Ebay a while back. Noticed Ebay sellers always specified whether the catalogs were Canadian or American versions.

]

In 1953 they sold cars. The "Allstate"

post-3141-1222565824_thumb.jpg

post-3141-1222566198_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived