Sears At 4201 South Main St.

Subdude

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The x-ray machines -- actually flouroscopes -- you mentioned were in most children's shoe departments and were considered the best way to see if a child's new shoes fit properly. I remember the murals at the Main Street Sears, too -- I think they were on the walls of the stairwell.

My folks were big fans of cafeterias and we enjoyed many meals at the old Cleburne Cafeteria and Weldon's. I vaguely recall going to a couple of movies at the Delman, driving past One's A Meal and having an occasional hamburger at Prince's, but don't remember seeing Kress' store in the area.

I believe there was some sort of dime store/variety store on Main at Elgin. It may not have been Kress' though. I'm talking late 60's - 70's. There was a little stand alone shoe store across the street (east) on Main, Nussbaum's I think was the name. One of my school friend's mother used to get her shoes there.

I believe there was some sort of dime store/variety store on Main at Elgin. It may not have been Kress' though. I'm talking late 60's - 70's. There was a little stand alone shoe store across the street (east) on Main, Nussbaum's I think was the name. One of my school friend's mother used to get her shoes there.

The variety store you remember was a Woolworth's.

• 2 months later...

http://www.rice.edu/...sears/index.htm

Strangely enough, I ran across this link with Houston Sears store locations while reading the Brownwood story (once again).

It mentions a Sears store on Memorial Dr., I don't remember ever seeing that one. The building design looks very similar to the Pasadena, Tx store. Maybe built at the same time.Can anyone recall the Memorial Dr. Sears? Where was it located, exactly? And is the Baytown store seen in the photo still there?

http://www.rice.edu/...sears/index.htm

Strangely enough, I ran across this link with Houston Sears store locations while reading the Brownwood story (once again).

It mentions a Sears store on Memorial Dr., I don't remember ever seeing that one. The building design looks very similar to the Pasadena, Tx store. Maybe built at the same time.Can anyone recall the Memorial Dr. Sears? Where was it located, exactly? And is the Baytown store seen in the photo still there?

They probably mean the Memorial City Sears.

The Baytown store is still there. Annexed by Lee College. The structure on the left side is a new addition.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Baytown,+TX&aq=&sll=29.732036,-94.976678&sspn=0.022248,0.045447&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Baytown,+Harris,+Texas&ll=29.734696,-94.976678&spn=0.00139,0.00284&t=h&z=19

After thinking about it, I came to the same conclusion about the Memorial City Sears probably being the one they speak of, when referring to Memorial Dr. (located on Gessner, Memorial Dr. nearby, but not that close). I visited the Memorial City Sears location in recent yrs. I noticed the older silver colored door handles right away, being similar to the ones I grew up with, at the Pasadena Sears location. This tells me the bldgs. would have been built about the same time, probably late 1950's.

The Baytown store doesn't have any streamlined awnings, or details left, too bad. Wouldn't have known it was a Sears location without you pointing that out.

The old Galveston Sears location is a now a Salvation Army. http://www.flickr.co...hes/3778050084/ Still looks good.

After thinking about it, I came to the same conclusion about the Memorial City Sears probably being the one they speak of, when referring to Memorial Dr. (located on Gessner, Memorial Dr. nearby, but not that close). I visited the Memorial City Sears location in recent yrs. I noticed the older silver colored door handles right away, being similar to the ones I grew up with, at the Pasadena Sears location. This tells me the bldgs. would have been built about the same time, probably late 1950's.

The Baytown store doesn't have any streamlined awnings, or details left, too bad. Wouldn't have known it was a Sears location without you pointing that out.

The old Galveston Sears location is a now a Salvation Army. http://www.flickr.co...hes/3778050084/ Still looks good.

The flagpole is still there and the awnings (but with the streamline detailing removed).

I think the Salvation Army is moving out of the old Galveston Sears building...so it might be up for demo if the right folks don't come along.

searsbaytown2.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Baytown,+TX&aq=&sll=29.732036,-94.976678&sspn=0.022248,0.045447&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Baytown,+Harris,+Texas&t=h&layer=c&cbll=29.73482,-94.975951&panoid=gqhV0lazWR5Rax0-jyRofw&cbp=12,205.12,,0,-6.57&ll=29.734665,-94.975774&spn=0.00139,0.00284&z=19

I didn't think the Memorial City Sears was there in the 50's. Could be wrong but I didn't think there WAS a Memorial City back then. My dad used to go duck hunting "way out" in the rice fields of Katy in the mid to late 50's and the best way to get there was out the Old Katy Highway. I think there are remnants of it just north of I-10.

I didn't think the Memorial City Sears was there in the 50's. Could be wrong but I didn't think there WAS a Memorial City back then. My dad used to go duck hunting "way out" in the rice fields of Katy in the mid to late 50's and the best way to get there was out the Old Katy Highway. I think there are remnants of it just north of I-10.

According to Wikipedia - Memorial City was built in 1966 and Sears was one of the original tenants.

I believe the Baytown Sears was built in 1950.

According to Wikipedia - Memorial City was built in 1966 and Sears was one of the original tenants.

I believe the Baytown Sears was built in 1950.

It's possible that the Sears predated the actual Memorial City mall...just an idea. I know that's what happened with Foley's in Pasadena. It was there before the mall.

Maybe someone with a directory could look up the addresses for the Sears during that time period.

update: I just looked at historicaerials, looks like you are correct, little frau & gnu, no store at Gessner location in '57, looks like that Sears was built after 1964 at Memorial City.

It's possible that the Sears predated the actual Memorial City mall...just an idea. I know that's what happened with Foley's in Pasadena. It was there before the mall.

Maybe someone with a directory could look up the addresses for the Sears during that time period.

update: I just looked at historicaerials, looks like you are correct, little frau & gnu, no store at Gessner location in '57, looks like that Sears was built after 1964 at Memorial City.

I looked at that map again, and was wrong... there is a Memorial City Sears in the 1964 aerial map, sits north of Barryknoll St., has an extension to to south of the main bldg, looks like it could be the garden center, there is another extension to the east, huge parking lot. The store is hard to see on the map, it's a light color, have to zoom in...Figured it had to be there after I noticed the subdivisions that were built in that area between the 1957 & 1964 maps. It was not connected to a mall at that time, there was only one more bldg., sat north of the Sears, was a little smaller.

*one HAIF Memorial City thread states that the Sears there was built in 1962.

* the original Pasadena Sears store was built in 1956, Cowell & Neuhaus, architects. (AIA Houston - arch. guide)

The art deco Sears bldg. designs are still my favorites.

I looked at that map again, and was wrong... there is a Memorial City Sears in the 1964 aerial map, sits north of Barryknoll St., has an extension to to south of the main bldg, looks like it could be the garden center, there is another extension to the east, huge parking lot. The store is hard to see on the map, it's a light color, have to zoom in...Figured it had to be there after I noticed the subdivisions that were built in that area between the 1957 & 1964 maps. It was not connected to a mall at that time, there was only one more bldg., sat north of the Sears, was a little smaller.

*one HAIF Memorial City thread states that the Sears there was built in 1962.

* the original Pasadena Sears store was built in 1956, Cowell & Neuhaus, architects. (AIA Houston - arch. guide)

The art deco Sears bldg. designs are still my favorites.

You are right. I just looked at the 64 aerial and there is Sears sitting out there all by itself...just like the Pasadena Foley's.

Too bad Walmart couldn't have incorporated the old Pasadena Sears building.

You are right. I just looked at the 64 aerial and there is Sears sitting out there all by itself...just like the Pasadena Foley's.

Too bad Walmart couldn't have incorporated the old Pasadena Sears building.

Now, I'm curious as to what store that was that sat north of the MC Sears.

The Main St. Sears is a complete eyesore. It's taken on the appearance of the bums who have peed on it's exterior over the past few decades; disheveled, void of style, unwashed and holding up a sign.

I am an eternal optimist, and still hold on to a dream of mine, that someday the South Main street store will be restored to it's original design. I believe that it would only happen after it is sold. Don't think Sears would put that kind of money into it. But in this city, restoration usually doesn't happen, bulldozing does. Land value means everything, unfortunately. I read somewhere that Rice University owns the land, through inheritance from William M. Rice, Sears leases the spot. I've been meaning to visit that store, along with the Macy's downtown, with my camera, of course. All I can say about the condition, is that at least it's still there. In this city, that's something.

Now, I'm curious as to what store that was that sat north of the MC Sears.

http://mall-hall-of-...q=memorial+city

this nice link lists some of the original stores, including a Weingarten's.They were very large stores. That would be my guess, as the article mentions that the Montgomery Wards was added in 1972.

I think, strategically, that would have been a good move for the grocery chain, during that time period. Two mainstays of modern suburbia, a huge grocery store and a Sears department store.

• 2 months later...

It was South Main! Now, I am unsure where the south picked up but right about there would be right. The appellation covered Main Street all the way out to Prince's Drive In, Playland Park and the race tracks.

I remember shopping at the old Sears with my Grandmother in the mid to late 1940's. She had a particular corset she liked that was only still carried by Sears. The section of the store was called Foundation Garments and had torso mannequins dolled up in same on high shelves above the merchandise. I mostly recall the constant "dings" sounding about the store, never figured those out.

It is a shame that more preservation of original buildings did not take place. Fort Worth is a delight with its downtown of restored, beautiful art deco and before architectural gems.

My mother worked at the Sears on South Main...and yes, it was always called SOUTH Main. The art deco must have been before my time. I only remember it with the cladding. But I loved the wide staircases. So much more fun than the escalators. And the "dings"... always the "dings." I hadn't thought about them for years. What memories.

http://mall-hall-of-...q=memorial+city

this nice link lists some of the original stores, including a Weingarten's.They were very large stores. That would be my guess, as the article mentions that the Montgomery Wards was added in 1972.

I think, strategically, that would have been a good move for the grocery chain, during that time period. Two mainstays of modern suburbia, a huge grocery store and a Sears department store.

The Mall Hall of Fame article (which I submitted a photo to, "Jonah Norason" is one of my defunct Internet handles) back-references the HAIF article on MCM. I read somewhere else on HAIF that Weingarten's was where the ice rink is now.

• 7 years later...

I know a lot has been written about the recent closure of what used to be called the "South Main Sears," but does anyone have nostalgic memories about shopping and hanging out there? I do: the smell of popcorn at the little snack stand by the shoe department (long, long ago, when I was a kid); the beautiful displays—especially around Christmas—in the big windows, in the years before they were bricked in;  my mother saying, “Meet me in an hour in the shoe department,” since back then it had chairs; the little diner attached to the outside of the building, which in the ‘90s became a bookstore. By the 2000s it had really changed a lot, but it was still Sears. I was sorry to see it go.

I know a lot has been written about the recent closure of what used to be called the "South Main Sears," but does anyone have nostalgic memories about shopping and hanging out there? I do: the smell of popcorn at the little snack stand by the shoe department (long, long ago, when I was a kid); the beautiful displays—especially around Christmas—in the big windows, in the years before they were bricked in;  my mother saying, “Meet me in an hour in the shoe department,” since back then it had chairs; the little diner attached to the outside of the building, which in the ‘90s became a bookstore. By the 2000s it had really changed a lot, but it was still Sears. I was sorry to see it go.

Yes, I recall going there to shop for some appliances. I spent a good deal of time browsing the appliance department while the employees talked with each other and seemingly did everything they could to avoid acknowledging a customer's presence, let alone offering assistance. I bought the appliances elsewhere.

Similar.  I remember spotting a pair of shoes that I like, in my size.  I picked up the box and couldn't find anyone at any of the registers...so, I returned the box to the shelf and left.  They also sold me a replacement water filter for the fridge that I had purchased there a year prior...that didn't fit.  good times 

I don’t recall, say,1970, at this Sears.  But, I do recall Sears from that period in my hometown.  Sears was a magical place.  Great stuff, great service.  A real treat to have your parents take you there.  From paint to tools to shoes to jeans to appliances.  It was my family’s go-to place. Period.

unfortunately, decades of highly compensated executives happily took their pay but were I able to figure out how to make Sears relevant for the future.

• The title was changed to Memories Of The Old Mid-Town Sears

Archived