HELP! I love live music

What is the deal with Houston and music? I can't just go to a bar and hear a band. I like any type of live music. I am a hip-hop & r&b fan, but i like to grab a beer and listen to live anything - rock, country, blues, jazz, rock-a-billy, reggae, grunge, metal, experimental, whatever...

but in houston, the only 'live' music i can get is a $20 (minimum) 'show' at warehouse, numbers, mercury, engine room, etc...

i've lived in austin, and liked the music scene there. i have no desire to move back to austin, but i want some music...

what's the deal here? yes, i've been to the sky bar a thousand times (but not recently). what else is there?

As a full time musician I can tell you that there are live venues all over Houston, in fact there are alot more than in Austin.

There's Walters on Washington,

The Continental Club

Rudyards

Numbers

Rythm Room

Scout Bar

Sherlocks

Cardis

Fitzgeralds

Etc, etc, etc.

If your going to go out on a weekend your going to pay a decent cover, there's no way around it.

The Houston Press is an excellent resourse for findiing out who is playing where.

My "X" plays often at the Howling Coyote on 1960 near 249. Blues/Rock. Wife #3 sings, and she's pretty darn good.

There's a dive near Atomic Cafe that has live music. I saw a good rock band there once. The lead singer was Carolyn Somethingorother -- one of the employees at KHOU. Turns out she sings at night.

They were only there once that I know of. I think it has different bands every night. Wish I could think of the name of the place.

There's a dive near Atomic Cafe that has live music. I saw a good rock band there once. The lead singer was Carolyn Somethingorother -- one of the employees at KHOU. Turns out she sings at night.

They were only there once that I know of. I think it has different bands every night. Wish I could think of the name of the place.

last concert cafe - carolyn wonderland - khou?!

must be a different carolyn...

The Houston Press is an excellent resourse for findiing out who is playing where.

My "X" plays often at the Howling Coyote on 1960 near 249. Blues/Rock. Wife #3 sings, and she's pretty darn good.

I'm not a big fan of the Press as there are way to many advertisements. Try Music News which is much more of a musicians publication.

• 11 years later...

Goodnight Charlie's just opened in Montrose to fill that much needed lack of country in that part of town...it is actually a super cool venue with music, dancing, food and of course a bar!

https://www.goodnightcharlies.com/

and a write up here:

http://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/goodnight-charlies-a-houston-honky-tonk-opens-in-montrose-10061085

Archived