Magnolia Park

Subdude

The John Thomas Brady House burned in 1991, but his son’s raised brick Queen Anne style home still stands at 3805 Wilmer.

Thanks for this post, Subdude. I have been wondering the story of this house on Wilmer since I first stumbled upon it a few months ago, sitting abandoned and squeezed by a transmission shop.When I first saw it my mouth hung open a bit. It is in an interesting eclectic style, I don't know if Queen Anne is accurate. It looks like a combination of Craftsman and Tudor. It's boarded up now but it sits there, obviously once a fine residence. I couldn't resist entering (trespassing) the property and walking around. I further couldn't resist snaking up the overhang and slithering on the collapsing lower roof into an open window. I dropped onto the floor and found myself in the kitchen. Looks like it was remodeled sometime during the 30s or 40s. I checked the whole place out and it's gutted, pretty much. It had been converted into multi family and it had a small fire on the upper floor. I told Historic Houston about it and they said that they had heard of it and were unsure of the history. Apparently, there's a ton of back taxes owed and the owner is nowhere to be found or something. Houston needs to save this house.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Here's Brady's son's house today. :(

Brady house - 3805 Wilmer

I have an investment property two blocks from this house, and have wondered about the history. Thanks for the enlightenment.

When I drove by this weekend I noticed it now has a Realtor's "For Sale" sign out front, but it is not listed in HAR.

It would be a real chalenge to restore the beast, and the location sux being sandwiched in between the concrete walls of two rather shabby businesses.

Here is another house that (now Pending) was advertized as "Possibly the oldest privately owned home in Houston in need of complete renovation. " Built in 1856 it is located at 1518 Weber.

hr1987610-1.jpg

I have an investment property two blocks from this house, and have wondered about the history. Thanks for the enlightenment.

When I drove by this weekend I noticed it now has a Realtor's "For Sale" sign out front, but it is not listed in HAR.

It would be a real chalenge to restore the beast, and the location sux being sandwiched in between the concrete walls of two rather shabby businesses.

Here is another house that (now Pending) was advertized as "Possibly the oldest privately owned home in Houston in need of complete renovation. " Built in 1856 it is located at 1518 Weber.

hr1987610-1.jpg

There's a thread about this house in the Historic Houston category of this forum: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=13756

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

That smaller Brady house is still for sale on HAR, wow, what a history, it's from 1917. Looks very spooky, and what is that concrete thing around the base for? Does the house sit on an incline?

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

I used to notice the big Brady mansion on Harrisburg, when I was small, think it was a halfway house back then, in the 60's.

• 3 weeks later...
That smaller Brady house is still for sale on HAR, wow, what a history, it's from 1917. Looks very spooky, and what is that concrete thing around the base for? Does the house sit on an incline?

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

Man, I'd love to take a peak inside that house, but the owner and real estate agent, Susan Delgado, isn't showing it off. She's selling the house as investment property -- ie, for the land, and as such her target buyers don't have any need to see the house. What a shame! Such a magnificent, historic house targeted for a teardown. I wonder if she'd be willing to do an open house for a number of interested/curious people at once. . .

It just seems that in any other city some entity would have grabbed this house already (for 100k!) and restored it. Our city doesn't do much like that, GHPA doesn't have the financial resources, and individuals with money to rehabilitate old larger homes are few and far between.

It just seems that in any other city some entity would have grabbed this house already (for 100k!) and restored it. Our city doesn't do much like that, GHPA doesn't have the financial resources, and individuals with money to rehabilitate old larger homes are few and far between.

I've walked around on the lot, and the house is really far gone. It'd be a complete money pit to try and restore, and is bordered on two sides by industrial properties. It's not that restoration couldn't be accomplished (if whole sections of the house were 100% rebuilt), but it certainly couldn't be done at a recoverable cost if the home were put back on the market for sale. And even if the GHPA had surplus funds, it just seems like they could be utilized to more effectively further GHPA's mission somewhere else.

I've walked around on the lot, and the house is really far gone. It'd be a complete money pit to try and restore, and is bordered on two sides by industrial properties. It's not that restoration couldn't be accomplished (if whole sections of the house were 100% rebuilt), but it certainly couldn't be done at a recoverable cost if the home were put back on the market for sale. And even if the GHPA had surplus funds, it just seems like they could be utilized to more effectively further GHPA's mission somewhere else.

Hey Niche, from the pictures on HAR the main house itself looks (perhaps superficially) sound, and the parts that really look shoddy are the wooden extensions that have been built out on the rear and the side. Does that seem about right in your estimation? Did you feel that it might be reasonable to restore at least the main part of the house? (I know you can't really answer that, just asking for your best guess!)

I know it's just a naive, overly optimistic pipe dream. . .but damn, is that one cool, unique house.

Edited by Ianbian

Hey Niche, from the pictures on HAR the main house itself looks (perhaps superficially) sound, and the parts that really look shoddy are the wooden extensions that have been built out on the rear and the side. Does that seem about right in your estimation? Did you feel that it might be reasonable to restore at least the main part of the house? (I know you can't really answer that, just asking for your best guess!)

I know it's just a naive, overly optimistic pipe dream. . .but damn, is that one cool, unique house.

It's hard to tell the condition of portions of the foundation not having walked around the interior of the house. If I were to undertake a project such as this, I'd rebuild the wooden portions; I'm not sure that I could get a COA supporting my tax breaks without rebuilding them. But also bear in mind that the wood portions of the house on the concrete platform are also in poor shape. In fact, if you look at various angles on maps.live.com, you can see vegetation growing out of the roof en masse. And I know for fact that bums have set up camp fires on the interior from time to time. Honestly, it is amazing that the house is still there.

A big problem is that unless someone can find a viable commercial use for the building, it probably is doomed to the landfill. Who wants to live in between a warehouse and a vacant lot used for light industrial purposes?

A big problem is that unless someone can find a viable commercial use for the building, it probably is doomed to the landfill. Who wants to live in between a warehouse and a vacant lot used for light industrial purposes?

That's easy: someone who wants to live in a cool old house a block or two from a light rail station. That's a pretty rare combination! Add in a dash of having been baptized at and having attended for years Blessed Sacrament church a couple blocks away, and you've got a potentially good fit. Potentially. But that potential candidate would also want to make sure that some of the charm on the outside remains on the inside. . .

I've gotta get over there, and see this house, for myself. The shape of the windows tell it's age. It reminds me of the windows in the old Savoy hotel. So much East End history sitting there, rotting away. I'm also amazed that it's still standing.

Does anyone know what now sits on the land that the Brady mansion sat on?

wikimapia link: http://wikimapia.org/11235835/Sidney-Sherman-Brady-House

I know, not such a reliable source, but an interesting tale, non-the-less. Heard about the Brady - Harrisburg Rd. auto accident before, somewhere.

Edited by NenaE

That's easy: someone who wants to live in a cool old house a block or two from a light rail station. That's a pretty rare combination! Add in a dash of having been baptized at and having attended for years Blessed Sacrament church a couple blocks away, and you've got a potentially good fit. Potentially. But that potential candidate would also want to make sure that some of the charm on the outside remains on the inside. . .

The charm of the outside would probably be relatively easy to replicate, even if portions of the house had to be re-framed with completely new materials. That's all about massing and then finding a convincing siding. Windows could be moderately difficult if you still want them to be wood-framed and have that wavy old glass, but are by no means a deal-breaker.

I haven't seen the interior, so I don't know the extent of the charm that was there in the first place. That's the big question mark. Replicating custom woodwork, fixtures, and hardware with antiques or convincing replicas can get expensive really quick, and even if we've established that there is a market for a house sandwiched between industrial properties, we haven't established the price that they'd be willing to pay for an authentic restoration.

On some level, I suspect that a project like this would be akin to building a new McMansion on top of and around an existing concrete foundation and walls, taking the level of finish to a price that is only as high as the market would bear. And I still don't know what that is.

What an unusual house, it sits so high up, and not on a slope...glad you included it on your list/ website. Wish the fathers mansion was still around, would have been something to see, as well.

I drove by this house today, and boy is it spooky looking, in person...I think it's those trees that do it. :unsure: Ahhh, but the air still smells like coffee. :wub: Heavenly.

Other East End area interests:

1. a bldg that sits at 200? Milby at Garrow, looks like it could have been Art Deco style. Will post a pic soon.

2. Imperial Linen Bldg. 3401 Harrisburg, NICE!

3. Old Fire Station, @400 Blk. Simpson & Preston

4. R.B. Everett Bldg. at Velasco at Harrisburg, Beautifully Preserved.

They are all very close to the coffee plant.

Edited by NenaE

some of this info. was mentioned in the first post...

The Greek Revival mansion, Brady Place was originally "located on Harrisburg Blvd. at Milby"...footnote says: "Moved around the corner to 3801 Wilmer in the 1920's. It became a sandwich shop".

from Houston - The Unknown City

Wow, how sad. :o

The second Houston Arch. Gd. lists a house at 3801 Wilmer (C.1860) with builder as Thomas Brady.

Edited by NenaE

The Sanborn maps show the Thomas Brady house (2nd location) sat on the corner lot (3801), next to the son's house at 3805 Wilmer. Shows 3 store references and "rooming" for the majority of the bldg. space, behind the stores. The son, Sherman Brady's house sits at an angle on the lot, not straight like the houses around it, at one time (earlier) the address was 3705 Wilmer.

The Milby at Garrow bldg (one block behind Wilmer) at 315, 317 Milby or 3801 Garrow was a Lodge, Dance Hall & Store. Blt. 1949-50. Shows an entrance on Garrow St. On the same property, earlier, a different bldg contained the Houston Saengerbund Club Hs., Dance Hall & Bowling Alley.

I now believe the Brady mansion is not the huge house I recall seeing on Harrisburg Blvd. as a kid. The other mansion sat deep on the lot, had an enourmous lawn in front of it, and was still standing, facing the main blvd. in the 1960's - 70's. It had those huge Corinthian columns and a second story porch that ran across the length of the house.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Brady house at 3805 Wilmer no longer on HAR. . .also removed from the real estate agent's website. Shucks, I had just about convinced myself to pony up the dough and try my hand at restoring it. Hopefully the buyer has similar aims!

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...s=3805%20Wilmer

Looks like it's back on HAR.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a thread about this house in the Historic Houston category of this forum: http://www.houstonar...showtopic=13756

Very interesting house on weber.....kind of native looking.....these houses should be preserved thru the historical societly....:)))

Very interesting house on weber.....kind of native looking.....these houses should be preserved thru the historical societly....smile.gif))

brady house on wilmer should be preseved as well.....:))

• 4 years later...

The Milby at Garrow bldg (one block behind Wilmer) at 315, 317 Milby or 3801 Garrow was a Lodge, Dance Hall & Store. Blt. 1949-50. Shows an entrance on Garrow St. On the same property, earlier, a different bldg contained the Houston Saengerbund Club Hs., Dance Hall & Bowling Alley.

Years later but I found an image from when it was built (and also took a current one). It was originally the El Tex Temple No. 114, Dramatic Order of Knights of Khorassan:

http://arch-ive.org/archive/3801-garrow/

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Okay, really embarrassed y'all-I had orginally said the house had been demolished but it's not located on the corner of Milby and Wilmer like I thought. It's next door to the lot that is on the corner of Milby and Garrow. Posting pix to show you what is there. Pix are from30AUG17. Looks like the property is occupied.

IMAG4320.jpg

IMAG4321-1.jpg

Edited by OjazosNegros
wrong info!

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Found a photo with the new roof for 3805 on google. I wonder if that’s enough to have jumped the current listed price to over half a million??

Unrelated, but after seeing this thread, I am reminded of the Crain mansion in Richmond, IN. Landmark structure that is sadly being let deteriorate.